PDA

View Full Version : Magpul SGA 870: Standard MOE Recoil Pad Vs. Remington Supercell

jet66
03-11-13, 16:21
I picked up an 870 Magpul Ex. Tact. this weekend. The SGA stock that comes on the unit has the Magpul Remington adapter that mates to other recoil pads, such as the Remington Supercell, Limbsaver, and others that will fit the standard Rem synth stocks. I see that Magpul sells that adapter separately as well, but not the recoil pad/LOP slider that would come standard with the SGA kit. I am only assuming, so I could be wrong, that the Magpul pad would be more like the tougher rubber pad they use on their line of AR stocks, vs. the foam rubber Supercell that comes on this particular shotgun.

Does anyone have any opinions on which they like better: The Supercell/other 870 option pad or the Magpul recoil pad? The Supercell seems like it's nice and foamy (yet firm) for eating recoil, but feels like it won't take a whole lot of being set/dropped/bumped on its end on concrete, gravel, etc. without tearing up the foam/closed cell material.

SPQR476
03-11-13, 16:31
We put a lot of time into finding the right material for the shotgun recoil pad. It's very soft, but won't deteriorate or get sticky like some super soft pads, and is durable.

jet66
03-11-13, 16:44
We put a lot of time into finding the right material for the shotgun recoil pad. It's very soft, but won't deteriorate or get sticky like some super soft pads, and is durable.

Is it possible to order the Magpul LOP slider/Magpul recoil pad pieces? These shotguns come with the Remington Supercell pad and SGA OEM adapter installed, and I think I'd rather have the Magpul pad/slider.

As it comes in the box:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/20130311_173545_resized_zps6066e50e.jpg

GH41
03-11-13, 17:15
Everyone's body is different. No manufacturer can make a stock or pad that fits everyone. Not even Magpul! What drew me to their stock was the adjustable lop and almost parallel comb. The pad is wide and has square edges which were easily rounded with a sander. It is pretty sticky but nothing I couldn't fix with a couple of wraps of electrical tape. I would try the setup you have before changing the pad. GH
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/SG1_zps43812779.jpg

Vlobb
03-11-13, 21:09
I swapped the original MAGPUL pad out and opted for the adapter and Supercell pad. After shooting both I definitely prefer the SC.

It doesn't hang up on close as easy and it handles the recoil better then the stock pad. The stock MAGPUL pad left marks all over my shoulder and I didn't even know it. It looked like I got hit with a waffle iron, no pain what so ever though. No other shotgun pad has ever done that. Not even my Benelli with 3.5" mag loads.

I can see the SC pad not lasting as long or taking the same level of abuse as the MAGPUL pad. But the SC was only $22 so replacement isn't expensive.

jet66
03-11-13, 21:37
Thanks for the input! I think I'll see how fast this SC pad wears out before I look at going to the Magpul pad. The marking wouldn't too big a problem, I usually wear stuff that can get ripped up, oily, etc., so that won't be a concern.

Vlobb
03-12-13, 11:11
It wasn't my clothes that got marked up, it was me. My shoulder was covered in horizontal lines of broken blood vessels from the magpul pad. I had no pain or soreness though, none. I didn't even know about it until my girl saw it and almost had a stroke. No other recoil pad had ever done that to me.

jet66
03-12-13, 11:20
Oh, I see. I was using a friend's Mossberg 590 one weekend for a little multi-gun course he had set up, it did something similar to me. There was no real pattern to it as far as the marks, and I didn't feel anything, it was just the nice splotchy area where the recoil pad had been sitting. I bet I didn't fire more than 8 rounds (all slugs) out of it that day, either.

SPQR476
03-12-13, 11:25
If you want to try the Magpul pad after the Super Cell, we don't have it as a normal sku, but customer service can set you up.

jet66
03-12-13, 12:38
Thank you very much! I should be putting it to the test over the course of the next two weeks, clearing brush on my new semi-wooded property. I've seen a few cottonmouths around the (overgrown) pond when the sun is out, so I'll be keeping the shotgun within arm's reach.

talaananthes
04-01-13, 00:59
I really like the Magpul recoil pad that came with mine, it cuts recoil quite nicely and seems durable. Problem is, I need to change the pitch of the recoil pad, and you can't wedge the Magpul OEM one. I'll trade you if you're interested?

SPQR et al at Magpul . . . have y'all looked into a method for changing the pitch of these stocks? It'd be a really nice addition to the system. Although I get the feeling that the correct solution is, get the Remington adapter and wedge it.

GH41
04-01-13, 06:18
I really like the Magpul recoil pad that came with mine, it cuts recoil quite nicely and seems durable. Problem is, I need to change the pitch of the recoil pad, and you can't wedge the Magpul OEM one. I'll trade you if you're interested?

SPQR et al at Magpul . . . have y'all looked into a method for changing the pitch of these stocks? It'd be a really nice addition to the system. Although I get the feeling that the correct solution is, get the Remington adapter and wedge it.

A chop saw will take car of the pitch problem! GH

SPQR476
04-01-13, 08:24
Nothing modular to change pitch. You have to stop somewhere when designing adjustability into a stock, or we'd end up with a $500 stock that would be PERFECT, but one would buy it.

CXV_JR
04-01-13, 09:11
I prefer the Magpul pad personally. Ran the Rem Super Cell up until getting my Magpul 870 stock and I'm glad Magpul took the time to include their own recoil pad. Much better upgrade in my opinion.

talaananthes
04-01-13, 12:23
A chop saw will take car of the pitch problem! GH

No, not on this it won't.

SPQR--A wedge designed to fit between the recoil pad and the slider would do the trick. The problem isn't complicated, just that the shape of your recoil pad (where it's recessed into the slider) prevents a standard wedge from being used. A 1/2" wedge designed to work bewteen your recoil pad and the slider shouldn't be hard to make, or cost more than a few dollars, but I don't have the capability to cast custom plastic or rubber myself. I absolutely agree that you don't need to be making a $500 stock, but this (or perhaps a small set of wedges) should be an easy, low cost solution, and changing pitch is quite frequently a concern for proper stock fitting . . . especially since you have cheek risers available, changing comb height almost always changes the pitch.

GH41
04-01-13, 17:04
[QUOTE=talaananthes;1598252]No, not on this it won't.

SPQR--A wedge designed to fit between the recoil pad and the slider would do the trick. The problem isn't complicated, just that the shape of your recoil pad (where it's recessed into the slider) prevents a standard wedge from being used. A 1/2" wedge designed to work bewteen your recoil pad and the slider shouldn't be hard to make, or cost more than a few dollars, but I don't have the capability to cast custom plastic or rubber myself. I absolutely agree that you don't need to be making a $500 stock, but this (or perhaps a small set of wedges) should be an easy, low cost solution, and changing pitch is quite frequently a concern for proper stock fitting . . . especially since you have cheek risers available, changing comb height almost always changes the pitch.[/QUOTE

Maybe we misunderstood each other. I was suggesting cutting the rear of the pad with a chop saw to get the desired pitch. GH

26 Inf
04-02-13, 23:03

I prefer sporting clay style recoil pads on just about anything - kick-eze sells a grind to fit sporting clay recoil pad; pre-fit recoil pads as well as a pitch wedge, here's the link -

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/pitch-spacer.php

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/

Hope this is useful.