PDA

View Full Version : XD rear sight removal?

Dave Berryhill
03-11-13, 17:54
Does anyone know any secret tricks to removing an XD rear sight? One of my students brought in an XD-40 sub compact and we couldn't get that sucker out! We tried everything and couldn't budge it. I have a 6 inch milling vise that I've made into a giant sight pusher by attached a large screw to the top and that wouldn't budge it.

Traveshamockery
03-11-13, 19:18
Does anyone know any secret tricks to removing an XD rear sight? One of my students brought in an XD-40 sub compact and we couldn't get that sucker out! We tried everything and couldn't budge it. I have a 6 inch milling vise that I've made into a giant sight pusher by attached a large screw to the top and that wouldn't budge it.

Yes, send it to these guys. Back when I had an XD they replaced my sights with no problems, quickly, and inexpensively.

http://www.shop.xd-hs2000.com/Gunsmithing-Services_c15.htm;jsessionid=790F501CFA9DCE433E090AE1B0EBE22E.qscstrfrnt06

tarkeg
03-11-13, 23:27

I'm glad it's not just me. I've soaked them in kroil for days, used my Meprolight pusher, and thought I was going to crack the slide. I've cut off the last three I did sights on. I can always get the front, not the rear. (that sounded dirty)

DIRTMAN556
03-12-13, 01:23
Yup unfortunately XDs are known for this. Great link to the shop online!

Dave Berryhill
03-12-13, 07:31
I managed to get the sight out. I warmed up the rear of the slide, sprayed it with Kroil and let it sit for a few hours. I tried the milling vise sight pusher and finally got the sight to move. Usually once a sticky sight breaks loose, it's a little easier to push it out the rest of the way. Not this one. It didn't move any easier until it was about halfway out of the dovetail.

Bigun
03-14-13, 03:22
Pretty sure these are pushed in with a hydraulic press. It takes a lot of swearing and elbow grease to move them out. Had the front sight on a XDM snap at the juncture of the blade and dovetail talk about fun trying to get that bugger out.

Robb Jensen
03-14-13, 04:58
On XDs I freeze the slide overnight and the mount it in the vice sideways (so I'm hammering downward) I use a huge brass punch and a large hammer. XDMs are way easier.

tarkeg
03-14-13, 09:45
On XDs I freeze the slide overnight and the mount it in the vice sideways (so I'm hammering downward) I use a huge brass punch and a large hammer. XDMs are way easier.

I haven't tried that trick. I'll give that a go on the next one I do.

Dave Berryhill
03-14-13, 18:07
The shape of the slide doesn't help either. They are wider at the bottom than at the top, which makes holding them in a vise less secure than a flat-sided slide. Every time I tried to push the sight, the slide wanted to rotate in the vise jaws since it was only being gripped along the bottom. I'll have to try the freezer trick or buy some of that freezing spray stuff that's made for removing stuck bolts.

If I were going to work on them regularly, I'd make or buy a sight pusher that would hold the slide securely.

NeoNeanderthal
03-14-13, 18:24
Make sure to wash your hands after you handle an XD :-)

Dave Berryhill
03-14-13, 20:51
Make sure to wash your hands after you handle an XD :-)

Don't worry, I wore gloves. I didn't want to catch any cooties! :D

plateshooter
03-15-13, 08:27
I put my XDm slide in a vice. Get a can of air, the kind you use to blow out computers. Turn the can upside down and lightly press the trigger so the propellant drips out of the straw. Drip it onto the rear sight. Keep it up until the sight is completely frosted, then another 30 seconds or more. One good wack with a steel punch ground with a flat to fit the bottom of the dove tail and it "should" move. I have used this method several times with success.

If you choose to try it, hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Bruce in WV
03-15-13, 08:54
Why not use the tool designed to do the job? What am I missing?

http://modelandtool.com/gpage1.html

Dave Berryhill
03-15-13, 09:29
Why not use the tool designed to do the job? What am I missing?

http://modelandtool.com/gpage1.html

You would need to have one in order to use it. :D

Jim D
03-15-13, 09:55
I just refuse to work on them, myself.

This has been an issue since these things came out. You'd think they'd have reduced the exterior dimensions of the rear sight blade dovetail to fix this issue by now.

Sam
03-15-13, 12:21
If a top notch pistolsmith like Dave Berryhill have a tough time removing the sight, it has to be tough.

For those that don't know, Dave is used to working on 1911s. I have seen many pictures of his fine work. I assume that like other 1911s pistolsmiths, he normally doesn't take on work like installing sights on XD, Glocks, etc. That's why he doesn't have a sight pusher. You don't use a sight pusher when you install a low mount Heinie on a custom 1911 :)

Dave: For some reason, I thought you were based out of the midwest or somewhere in that area. I didn't know you were in SC.

Dave Berryhill
03-15-13, 13:42
...Dave: For some reason, I thought you were based out of the midwest or somewhere in that area. I didn't know you were in SC.

I used to be in TX but took a teaching job in SC. The XD was a student's project. We tried everything we could at school to get that sight out but it wouldn't budge so I took it to my shop to use my milling vise/sight pusher.

TX is calling and I'll be coming home soon ;)

Sam
03-15-13, 13:48
I used to be in TX but took a teaching job in SC. The XD was a student's project. We tried everything we could at school to get that sight out but it wouldn't budge so I took it to my shop to use my milling vise/sight pusher.

TX is calling and I'll be coming home soon ;)

That explains it for the SC location.

I figured the XD was some kind of special situation or favor for somebody you know.

anachronism
03-16-13, 14:29

A chunk of dry ice on the sight itself may impress it too.