PDA

View Full Version : Help with new rail decision!

Rogue556
03-11-13, 18:03
Needing some help guys. I have a Colt 6920 that currently sports a KAC RAS carbine rail system. The rail itself is ok for what it is. It's sturdy, and does what it is supposed to. My problem is I have fairly long arms, and this rail system limits me on how I can control the rifle.

I'm looking for options on a 12" (or more) rail that will do what I need it to. I'm not so much worried about weight as much as how sturdy the system is. Obviously needs to be free float as it's going on a carbine length gas system.

The two I'm debating with right now are the Daniel Defense RIS II M4a1 and the Daniel Defense RIS II M4a1 FSP version. I like the idea of keeping the FSP as it's sturdy when compared to its flip up counter parts. Problem with that version is my current carbine is the only one I own, and keeping the FSP limits me on what optics I can run if I decide to change later (I'm currently running an Aimpoint Comp M2 but have considered something with magnification). So with that being said, for those of you that have used both, what do you prefer and why? I also know there are other offerings out now that could be thrown in with the two mentioned (Troy, KAC, Geissele, etc) , but I wasn't sure if their mounting options were as sturdy and at this point that's most important. What are you all's thoughts? Any and all help is appreciated!

SpankMonkey
03-11-13, 18:10
RIS II M4a1 FSP is rock solid. The only thing you see with a scope would be a slight shadow in the lower third of the glass. You will get used to it real fast and it should not bother you.

Guinnessman
03-11-13, 18:11
Take a look at the Centurion Arms FSP rail. It is easy to install and a great piece of kit.

Roklok
03-11-13, 18:18
Take a look at the Centurion Arms FSP rail. It is easy to install and a great piece of kit.

Ditto!

LittleBallOfHate
03-11-13, 20:55
RIS II M4a1 FSP is rock solid. The only thing you see with a scope would be a slight shadow in the lower third of the glass. You will get used to it real fast and it should not bother you.

+1 On the RIS II. It's my rail of choice. :D

Col_Crocs
03-11-13, 22:25
Of the others you touched on, check out the Geiselle's mounting design. That's about as sturdy as it gets IMHO. The RISII is great though. My current favorite but the C4 is pretty sturdy too. What I'm trying to get at is, it really depends how much work you're willing to put in.
1. No shave + no disassembly + some cutting = C4 FSP
2. Full disassembly(barrel and FSB OFF) + plus removal of delta ring and HG cap = RISII FSP
3. Full disassembly(barrel and FSB OFF) + plus removal of delta ring and HG cap + FSB shave down = RISII or Geiselle

wakebrdr142
03-11-13, 22:42

+2, that's if you can find one.

LittleBallOfHate
03-12-13, 00:25
+2, that's if you can find one.

Rainier has 'em in black currently.

Frens
03-12-13, 05:40
+1 on the Centurion C4,
rock solid and super easy to install

markm
03-12-13, 08:11

RIS II is the way to go if you hate the I BEAM feel of the other DD rails and the Centurian.

I'd run strictly Centurian rails if the bottom rail was low profile. :(

thehun
03-12-13, 08:27
Centurion or DD...however Fortis is looking good too

samuse
03-12-13, 08:48
RIS II is the way to go if you hate the I BEAM feel of the other DD rails and the Centurian.

I'd run strictly Centurian rails if the bottom rail was low profile. :(

Same here. I wish DD would release their new M4 rails for sale. I still don't trust a rail that clamps to the stock barrel nut.

I like LaRue rails because their profile is about the same as the KAC RAS.

markm
03-12-13, 08:50
I like LaRue rails because their profile is about the same as the KAC RAS.

Same here. I'm picking up a used LaRue. I hope to pick a few of them off cheap as the rail fashion homos makes them last season's accessory.

Rekkr870
03-12-13, 08:50
I've never ran the Centurion rails; I have heard great things about them. I have experience with the DD Omega X 12" with the FSP and the Geissele SMR Mk1. If I could do it over again, I would choose the Geissele rail system. The lockup and barrel nut assembly are very well thought out. The rail is very low profile and lightweight but is very modular. That, combined with the bombproof anti rotation design makes it my favorite rail so far. Try getting your hands on one to see how you like it.

ra2bach
03-12-13, 09:08
Centurion rails have a deep bottom rail channel but I like that. it gives my fingers something to wrap around...

thehun
03-12-13, 09:16
My DD has the new M4 FSP rail and its great. Slim profile but super supported on a bolt up system.

DD said they won't release the M4 FSP unless you buy complete upper or rifle. Same goes with their sweet new FSB

Freelance
03-12-13, 10:27
I have couple DD rails, they are awesome you can't really go wrong with them. However as others have stated the Centurion C4 12" of C4 FSP 12" are currently my favorite rails. Monty is producing some of the nicest, lightest and toughest rails I have fielded to date. I was also pretty impressed with the Fortis rail I picked up just before SHOT, another nice option.

Blak1508
03-12-13, 11:55
keep checking the EE section for the DD new M4 rails , I have seen a few. The are very nice and the lower profile is awesome. I wish I had just spent the extra 300 and got them but I am more then content with my OMEGA's.

It was strange when I bought my DDV1 Rainer had 2 models of the V1 listed a newer and older model. I opted for the older model but to my surprise I had the new lower and upper the only exception was the rail system mine was sent with the OMEGA. I was not about to complain, then a month later the new model with the M4 rails was on sale with a coupon code for less then the older model V1... C'est la vie :)

Rogue556
03-12-13, 17:46
Thanks for the response guys. Right now I think I'm stuck between the DD RIS II FSP and the Geissele MK1 15". Biggest decision would be chopping the FSB and running a flip up like KAC or Troy vs standard FSB. Has anyone seen/used both the rails mentioned? If the Geissele MK1 is as sturdy as the RIS II series then I may go that route. Also, I understand I must uninstall the flash hider and FSP to mount either rail. If I went with the RISII FSP and reinstalled the FSP it should line up correctly once the pins were put back in right? I'd hate to have a canted FSB but I really prefer to do things myself.

wakebrdr142
03-12-13, 23:04
Yes, It should line up.

Rogue556
03-12-13, 23:53
Yes, It should line up.

Awesome, Thanks!