PDA

View Full Version : Considering Odin Works Forend

FlexBravo
03-11-13, 20:56
Greetings,

As I build my AR I've amassed a collection of part lists from various brands. For each I search out reviews and info that I can find online to help me in my build decisions.

I've come across a handguard/rail that I've not been able to find too much info about and am hoping the M4 community can shed some light on this one.

Odin Works Forend (http://www.odinworks.com/Forends_s/1838.htm)- this comes in a KMod and non keymod version for $220 and $199 respectively for the 12.5" version. A 15.5" is also on the way for the KMod version as well. They look similar to the Noveske rails in some ways. Although I'm not entirely sold on keymod it is nice that they offer a non-keymod version in case I go that route.

Has anyone had any experience with this rail and company? Any photos you can share?

The non KMod rails have 4 QD points. The ones closest to the receiver seem to be placed fine. However, the two up where you place your hand and perhaps a light may get in the way of said hand and/or light. Perhaps if you used a light holder, such as the SUREFIRE X-SERIES (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-x.series-mounts/) that offsets it may allow for that QD to be used. Can someone with this rail speak to this?

Also the rail only comes with 1x 2.75" rail (too few imho), and Odin only sells that one size (that they show on their site). I would like to place a hand stop on my rail but am unsure if I will be able to with this rail, anyone do this?

Of course with any rail we want to know how it does with heat and how well it stays on your rifle.

Please feel free to comment if you have had a chance to use this handguard.

I also noticed no warranty info on their site. Any experience with Odin parts breaking when they should not?

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ODIN-WORKS-KeyMod-Handguard-details-1.jpg

2nd.amendment
03-12-13, 12:13
No experience with them. Rail looks similar to some other options out there. If it is in spec and suits your needs, it is probably fine in that respect (couple "if"s there).

My primary concern is - I am not sure that I care for the mounting system relative to other options.

FlexBravo
03-12-13, 15:21
If it is in spec and suits your needs, it is probably fine in that respect (couple "if"s there).

My primary concern is - I am not sure that I care for the mounting system relative to other options.

I agree, there are pros and cons to having a rail with a proprietary mounting system.

Some companies use proprietary systems to insure proper fit (alignment) and function. The problem is getting a replacement mounting system if you need it. Or losing the proprietary tool needed for it. And what if the company goes out of business, then you can never get a replacement parts if needed. Odin isn't exactly well known in the industry, nor is it large. Nor do they sell anything that you can't get elsewhere. And have no warranty that I can find.

Some companies use the standard barrel nut which is universal, cheap, and easy to get if it needs to be replaced, as is the tool needed for it. The downside is that sometimes the rail does not align well with the lower. The solution is to try a different barrel nut and hope that one works better.

What I like about the Odin rail is; 2 built in QDs, the shape is not round, there is no permanent rail on the bottom to make it feel too wide (such as the Fortis Rev), and the price is not bad (less that the NSR it resembles, but more that some others). The weight, 12.40 oz with mounting hardware, is not too bad although some other choices could save me an Oz or 2. It also comes with the tool you need to install it, unlike KAC URX which charges $110 for the tool.

I would prefer the ability to be able to attach rails at 45 degrees as well (such as the Advanced Technology Forend) but I've yet to find a rail that does that that I like. The only ones I know of that do are either round or $$$.

You are correct, there are a lot of similar choices; Noveske NSR, RAINIER ARMS EVOLUTION, Samson Evolution, PWS, Rock River Arms TRO. And those with rails on top and bottom such as SLR Intrepid and Fortis Rev.

Without any feedback from actual Odin users it's difficult to make an educated decision so hopefully someone here has some feedback to share.

2nd.amendment
03-12-13, 15:34
I am curious to hear if anyone has any experience with these as well. My point with the barrel nut was less about the proprietary nature of it than the specific design. It has a "foreend adapter" that gets threaded on, then a barrel nut that must thread inside of that and is secured with "vibra-tite". Just not sure that is the preferred way to design it. I admit, I would need to handle it myself or hear from knowledgeable people who have handled it.

Here's the info on installing for anyone else who might be interested.
http://www.odinworks.com/Forend_Installation_s/1841.htm

I am not knocking the rail, just noting design features at this point. I am less concerned with saving $50-80 on a rail (e.g., compared to a NSR), because that amounts to only a couple boxes of ammo in the long run and a small fraction of the total cost of a carbine/rifle.

Still curious to hear some direct feedback if anyone has some. Glad you made the original post, because I happened to see this rail this morning also. Hopefully someone will chime in.

FlexBravo
03-12-13, 15:57
Here is a pic of the Odin 15.5" with the mounting system and tool (looks a lot like the tool for a castle nut).
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/hsktt.uqzet/v/vspfiles/photos/F-15-5.jpg?1358512707

Stugotz
04-20-13, 16:16
This forend does look interesting... (Looking forward to reading any others post regarding there experience with it).

AKDoug
05-11-13, 12:06
The 12.4 oz. weight is total with barrel nut... is that for a 15" or 12"?

The Fortis 12" is 9.2oz + 2.0oz for the GI barrel nut = 11.2 oz

On either one I will have to ad a QD point where I want it because the rear ones on both these rails are too far back and the front one on the Fortis is too far forward.

Not having that rail on bottom, price, and keymod ability is attractive on this Odinworks handguard.

A keymod weapon light mount that allows my TRL-1 to be right up at 10:30 would be perfect.