PDA

View Full Version : KNS Push Button Pivot Pin

TF82
03-12-13, 05:07
I have a Colt A3 with the screw type pivot pin. I've searched read that most don't see the KNS pivot pins as any improvement over the standard detent style pins, but my lower does not have the hole drilled for the detent and I'm not really comfortable with sending it out to have that installed at this time.

I don't really like having to use a screw driver to take my rifle apart but I see that KNS puts out some questionable products and also fear that the KNS pin may stick out too far and become disengaged too easily. Any input from users would be appreciated.

I also see that they offer these with the ability to take a sling and was wondering if anyone with more experience than me can tell me if this is viable or if my instinct is correct and it is a bad idea to put added stress on a pin which holds your rifle together.

khc3
03-12-13, 07:23
I had one of those pins, and I didn't think it was particularly easy to use.

Pushing it out seemed to take as long as unscrewing the Colt screw, and at home I ended up having to use a punch to push to little button in long enough to get it out.

Maybe it would have loosened up a bit with use (or maybe I have soft girlish fingers), but I sent my lower to ADCO to have it drilled for a standard pivot pin.

It was kind of expensive, and I had to disassemble my lower, so if I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't bother, and just leave the screw. There aren't many times I am shooting when I don't have a screwdriver, or a coin.

markm
03-12-13, 07:42
Have Specialized Armament convert it to a standard push pin. $75... I just had this done for a buddy's gun. They did another Colt for me in the past too.

brs243
03-12-13, 16:49
The KNS pin is a pain, but for me it was a little better than having to use a screwdiver. I also ended up getting the detent hole drilled. Had mine done by Specilized Armament.

PrarieDog
03-12-13, 23:55
The KNS pin sucks. I had one for a 80% build so that I did not have to drill the spring holes....should have drilled the holes.

TF82
03-12-13, 23:59
Thanks for the info guys. I'll save my $20 and if the screw really ends up bothering that much I'll put it toward having the conversion done eventually. I live in NY and everytime that rifle is out of my sight I start to worry.

One follow up question. Have any of you guys with screw type pivot pins had them come loose during use or is it a pretty solid set up?

markm
03-13-13, 08:20
It won't come loose.

TF82
03-14-13, 01:59
Good to know. I'll probably just leave it then. The screw is a pain, but I'm not sure that its a $75 pain yet. Thanks guys.