PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for an old Model 94

hotrodder636
03-12-13, 08:53
I recently acquired a 30-30 Winchester Model 94 that is about 100 years old. It is still in excellent condition and I would like to shoot it. However I would like to know what kind of ammo would be safe to shoot in a rifle this old (ie low power, cowboy action?). Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

GunnutAF
03-12-13, 13:09
I'd have a gunsmith look it over first. If he says it's in shooting condition then any good factory 30-30 ammo is safe in it! I'd stay away from the "Supper performance type ammo" though. Better yet just reload cast bullets for it. If it's been taken care of properly it most likely is a shooter - being that old though the barrel might be shot out cause alot of the ammo back when it was new was corrosive! If it is then you'll be SOL to find a new one. Make a great wall hanger or you may get it rebored to 32 Win!:D Or you could leave as is for the historical value! I would love to see a pic- I love old Winnies!

hotrodder636
03-12-13, 14:13
Yeah, the barrel is still mirror-like internally, no pitting. The rest of the gun, like I said is probably 85%+. I don't plan on doing a lot of shooting through it but would like to send a few down range. Thank you for the advice.

Bruce in WV
03-12-13, 18:05
...over at leverguns.com. Nice folks and helpful to new members.

imonroe
03-12-13, 22:04
if you're not sure when it was made you can look it up here: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php?file=win1894.dat

I have a Winchester 1894 30-30 that was made in 1975. It was in pretty rough shape when I bought it. Someone had spray-painted the whole thing black on top of some surface rust. Internals looked good though. I cleaned it up, refinished it and it runs perfectly. I shoot remington core-lokt 170gr rounds through it.

imonroe
03-12-13, 22:07
also, if you ever need to take it apart I have found this guide invaluable:
http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Chumly
03-12-13, 22:49
I have a take down model chambered in 30-30 (its actually a model 55 I believe, but still a 94 variant) that is in the neighborhood of 85 years old. I pretty much shoot whatever 170 grain ammo I can find. However, I have never shot any of the newer so called high performance 30-30 ammo out of it.

Also, I definitely second GunnutAF's advice having a gunsmith check it out first.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-13-13, 06:46
I recently acquired a 30-30 Winchester Model 94 that is about 100 years old. It is still in excellent condition and I would like to shoot it. However I would like to know what kind of ammo would be safe to shoot in a rifle this old (ie low power, cowboy action?). Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

I would not shoot and factory ammo through it! Handloads only, and choose a mild load.

hotrodder636
03-13-13, 17:12
I would not shoot and factory ammo through it! Handloads only, and choose a mild load.

That's where I was headed, just wanted to get some opinions.

Thank you to everyone for their info.