PDA

View Full Version : FIRST AR BUILD (TRIGGER QUESTION)

805coach
03-12-13, 13:27
Hey Guys, I am building my first AR, Would you recommend a stage two or stage one for the first build , i am looking at Geissele SSA . My weapons experience is shotgun , bolt action rilfe and semi auto rifles, 30-06 , 22 250 ect.. Thank's in advance for your knowledge ,opinions and comments.

samuse
03-12-13, 13:51
Is it a precision gun or a CQ type gun?

I've used stock triggers and the SSA quite extensively and they're both great in their own applications.

If I'm gonna be on my feet and moving, stock trigger all the way. I'm faster and as accurate with a stock trigger.

Hunting/precision, the SSA works well. Plenty of guys run an SSA for everything, I've done it, I just prefer a stock trigger for most everything..

patrick sweeney
03-12-13, 13:55
If this is your first (of many to come) then build a stock trigger. That way you'll learn how they work, and learn how some can suck.

Then, you can install a Geissele later, and learn what a good trigger feels like.

One caveat; if your handgun of choice is a Glock, avoid the Geiselle. Trying to go back and forth from the super-nice Geiselle to the "crunch and mash" Glock will make you crazy.

805coach
03-12-13, 13:56
CQB , thanks

805coach
03-12-13, 13:58
Handguns, are sigs and FN, thank's

Iraqgunz
03-12-13, 14:05
Get an ALG QMS or the Geissele SSA. I shoot Glocks exclusively and I have no problem making my trigger finger work.

markm
03-12-13, 14:07
Get an ALG QMS or the Geissele SSA. I shoot Glocks exclusively and I have no problem making my trigger finger work.

Agreed.

patrick sweeney
03-12-13, 14:15
Then you're in advance of the police officers we see on the line, transitioning between their Glocks and the two-stage triggers in their ARs.

hotrodder636
03-12-13, 14:22
Agreed.

Double agreed on that.

markm
03-12-13, 14:37
Then you're in advance of the police officers we see on the line, transitioning between their Glocks and the two-stage triggers in their ARs.

Cops are notoriously bad shooters. (not ALL of course) But that's a rough baseline to go by. The Cops that train cops and train us on the side often comment that they are so pleased to have students that WANT to be there.

Now I'm not going to blow the doors off a master pistol shooter, but I have no problem shooting quals and stuff.

Watrdawg
03-12-13, 14:49

Definitely agree. 1st thing I do is switch out the stock trigger for a Geissele SSA. Great all around trigger.

Iraqgunz
03-12-13, 15:11
Anyone who has worked around LE enough and shot with them knows that they mostly not big "gun people" and only few actually spend any additional time or money training outside of standard qualification.

One need only look at the ratio of civilians to LE in training classes.

Iraqgunz
03-12-13, 15:12
Exactly.

Cops are notoriously bad shooters. (not ALL of course) But that's a rough baseline to go by. The Cops that train cops and train us on the side often comment that they are so pleased to have students that WANT to be there.

Now I'm not going to blow the doors off a master pistol shooter, but I have no problem shooting quals and stuff.

Toddler
03-12-13, 15:18
A Geissele G2S will only set you back $165.

^Rb
03-12-13, 15:24
A Geissele G2S will only set you back $165.

I second this, along with IG's post about the QMS.

The SSA and G2S are functionally-equivalent, but the former is priced a little bit higher.

805coach
03-13-13, 15:54
Thank's guys, I ordered the Palmetto lower kit without Trigger group to go with my Palmetto lower , and ordered the Geissele SSA 05-101.

slamd095
03-13-13, 16:16
That is one of those purchases you will be happy about. I haven't regretted the purchase, or the advice received.

SA80Dan
03-13-13, 16:29
If this is your first (of many to come) then build a stock trigger. That way you'll learn how they work, and learn how some can suck.

Then, you can install a Geissele later, and learn what a good trigger feels like.

One caveat; if your handgun of choice is a Glock, avoid the Geiselle. Trying to go back and forth from the super-nice Geiselle to the "crunch and mash" Glock will make you crazy.

Personally I find the ssa and glock triggers have a lot more in common than the glock vs single stage. Both have a first stage and a 'wall '. Sure the glock is a lot more crunchy, but I think its a good combo.

jamesbern
03-13-13, 19:39
I've always ran stock triggers, but would like to try a higher end option to see what i'm missing.

MistWolf
03-13-13, 20:02
I've tried the stock GI trigger, the SSA and the SSA-E. At first, the GI trigger was very gritty and unpredictable but a proper application of grease improved it greatly. Still, I replaced it with an SSA and feel it was money well spent.

The SSA-E has a lighter crisper pull than the SSA but I don't feel the SSA is any kind of handicap.

I have not tried either version of the Geisselle GI triggers

RMiller
03-13-13, 20:16
I have no complaints from my ALG QMS.

If I were to change it out, an SSA it would be.

jamesbern
03-13-13, 20:31
Yeah, I think the SSA is the one i'd go with next.

Samson1
03-13-13, 23:07
I've tried the stock GI trigger, the SSA and the SSA-E. At first, the GI trigger was very gritty and unpredictable but a proper application of grease improved it greatly. Still, I replaced it with an SSA and feel it was money well spent.

The SSA-E has a lighter crisper pull than the SSA but I don't feel the SSA is any kind of handicap.

I have not tried either version of the Geisselle GI triggers

This exactly. While my DD trigger wasn't all that crunchy, i found that greasing the recommended areas vastly improved my trigger feel to the point it feels like a different trigger.

tommyrott
03-15-13, 20:00
got a SD3Gun that i've been shooting for the last 2 years, and just recently put a glockworx V2 fulcrum duty tactical into my glock cuz i really like flat triggers now, but i run stock springs in my glock, so there is a diffrent feel between them, but i also spend 15 min. a day dry firing both. but either way you can't go wrong with a geisselle any trigger