PDA

View Full Version : Recent production USGI mag weld/seam separation

Razorhunter
03-12-13, 15:15
Recently received a 15pk of Brownells 30rd USGI mags as a birthday gift. All are date stamped Dec 2012. I have noticed all 15 mags have a seam that did not get fully pressed/stamped shut. This separation spans the length of at least 2 spot welds. The seam is the inside curve of the mag, or IOW's, the forward most seam toward the muzzle of gun, if mag is inserted into a lower. Have not yet function tested mags as even if they perform, I worry the seam may separate in the future. Has anyone else experienced this with Brownells, or any other USGI mags??? I have good pics, but this phone has yet to allow me to post pics.

markm
03-12-13, 15:18
Yes. I've had this with some Centers. If it doesn't bother mag insertion or removal, Ignore it... or leave the mags as practice beaters.

I had one Centers Ind. mag that was so bad, I had to file the front of the mag so it was useable. It runs fine... just had the same issue you're seeing.

discreet
03-12-13, 15:51
Recently received a 15pk of Brownells 30rd USGI mags as a birthday gift. All are date stamped Dec 2012. I have noticed all 15 mags have a seam that did not get fully pressed/stamped shut. This separation spans the length of at least 2 spot welds. The seam is the inside curve of the mag, or IOW's, the forward most seam toward the muzzle of gun, if mag is inserted into a lower. Have not yet function tested mags as even if they perform, I worry the seam may separate in the future. Has anyone else experienced this with Brownells, or any other USGI mags??? I have good pics, but this phone has yet to allow me to post pics.

Contact brownells about this. If seams are split on brand new mags its something they should know about.

I got 10 in and all looked fine but will double chheck mine now.

Retiredbroke
03-12-13, 22:28
Contact brownells about this. If seams are split on brand new mags its something they should know about.

I got 10 in and all looked fine but will double chheck mine now.

Are yours recent production as well? I have some of these backordered.

Scotter260
03-13-13, 01:01
I received a 25 pack of 2012 dated Brownell's standard 30-rounders (won't call them USGI due to the CS springs and green followers) and a 10 pack of 2009 dated (yep, 2009) Brownell's 30-rounders with Magpul followers and Ranger plates some time in Jan. or Feb from them. ALL of the mags received have this gap in the front seam.

I noticed and it is a bit of a nagging itch but nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, the few I tried inserted and ejected easily.

I've got (5) 10-packs of Brownell's 30-rounders with MP followers and standard floorplates coming soon (I hope based on posts at TOS) and I'm sure they'll have the gap too. I've decided it's minutia over which I'm not going to fret - I figure at least they're not C-Products.