PDA

View Full Version : Your AR and another state

rocsteady
03-12-13, 15:53
I was getting a little confused with the inconsistent answers about traveling through enemy territory, in this case NJ, so I used some of our agency contacts to speak to people on a personal, rather than professional level.

Short version, I talked to BATFE guys working with NJ State Police to find out if one can take a personally owned (not government issue) AR that is not NJ ban compliant into NJ to make use of the public range next to where we normally qualify for work at Ft. Dix.

In a word, and what I expected, "No". I guess it's pretty well known at this point that NJ resident LEO's personally owned weapons have to be ban compliant so it would stand to reason that they wouldn't let someone from another state have it any easier.

I also wanted to know for sure about traveling through NJ to PA. Again I got the answer I was expecting, "Yes you can travel from a place where you own it legally to a place where you can own it legally if it's properly secured while passing through". However, he did say that not all police officers seem to be sure how that law works (?) and that there have been problems recently. So he more or less gave me the letter of the law but labeled it with a warning that "stuff can happen". He was pretty sure that most troopers would act appropriately, but wasn't as confident about others.

So the end result is that we'll be tempting fate if we decide to drive through Jersey to go anywhere in PA.

Obviously I'm not the only one having a hard time believing that it's come to this in America. I would have never dreamed that it would get this bad during my lifetime.

Iraqgunz
03-13-13, 15:48
Your only tempting fate if you don't do the following;

1. Not get stopped.

2. Keep the weapon secured as per the law.

3. Print a copy of FOPA and have it with you.

4. DO NOT ALLOW A SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT A WARRANT.

5. Demand a supervisor come to the scene in the event that you fail to heed all of the above.

rocsteady
03-13-13, 21:17
You're right, it is tempting fate just to drive through the damn state. I will brush up on FOPA and NJ laws to ensure that I'm as legal as possible before I head out to shoot again.

What a jerkwater state NJ is, and NY is right there with it.

Hdog83
03-14-13, 13:50
Unfortunately, NY and NJ form a solid barrier between New England and the rest of the CONUS, so it's hard to avoid both, without flying. As I recall, there used to be a nicer copy of this document on their website (brochure/ flyer style, complete with different font sizes to highlight the sections and organization of the document), but the substance itself is still available on the NJSP website here:

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

If you do decide to transport through NJ, I'd suggest bringing a color printout of the webpage with you, in case you have to explain yourself and the relevant law while traversing The Garden State. (I agree it shouldn't be necessary, but it might be a way to get a bad conversation back on track.) I'd also keep a copy of FOPA (18 USC 926A, available here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A) handy as well.

rocsteady
03-17-13, 00:40
Thank you for that as well. Printed both out and will keep in the glove box, being sure not to keep ammunition in said glove box as that would be evil.

In light of the current insanity I think someone should invent stuff that looks like it belongs in the car/truck but is really a disquised gun locker/box/bag. You know, like the fake rock with the front door key hidden inside.

How about a snowboard/surfboard AR "carrier": "Uh, it's like this officer, I'm on my way to the Poconos to do some boarding (winter)/ get my surfboard customized (summer)".

chadbag
03-17-13, 01:39
I think the biggest thing you can do is to not get stopped, and pass through quickly.

Don't speed or drive stupidly.

Don't take the long way through NY or NJ. If going from New England to the rest of the world, cut through NY quickly into PA (for example, through Newburgh) or otherwise as quickly as legally possible. Don't dawdle or take the long way.

Keep your guns legally secure, out of reach, etc according to the US Code.

I've been through NY (on the way to NH) several times with a car full of ARs. Never got stopped. Made sure I drove reasonably. And kept the ARs locked in the trunk, unloaded, etc.

--

rocsteady
04-17-13, 09:36
Ordered a "TruckVault" to be installed in the far back of my SUV this week.

I figure with the color matching carpet, the tinted back glass and the fact that it fits behind the 3rd row seats while they are in the "up" position will make it damn near invisible, even if someone is looking for it if I happen to be stopped while passing through.

Another chunk of change that these ridiculous laws have exacted from me.

glocktogo
04-17-13, 10:06
I wouldn't step foot in NJ on a bet, gun or no gun. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best advice anyone could give on the subject. :(