PDA

View Full Version : Glock modifications for CCW?

duece71
03-12-13, 19:06
New sights, new disconnector, some minimal trigger work. Is all of this a good idea for a carry gun? What kind of liability is possibly involved by changing anything from box stock?

Chameleox
03-12-13, 19:26
With the exception of new sights, you should be pretty much good to go with a stock Glock, unless:
A: you're used to a different gun,
B: you have regulations or orders WRT trigger weight, sights, etc.
C) you just plain want to. Vickers extended control parts are nice, but not a necessity, at least not for me.

Liability isn't an issue unless the wrong person gets shot, or the gun fires when it isn't intended (and in this case, I'd look to user error first).

Guinnessman
03-12-13, 19:32
The factory Glock trigger breaks in nicely after 1000 rounds. Add sights, a Vickers Mag release, Vickers Slide Stop, and call it good.

duece71
03-12-13, 19:36
I suppose I was thinking about what a jury would think. Would the modifications be the icing on the cake? True, if the wrong person gets shot, it probably won't matter.

HighDesert
03-12-13, 20:03
This has been discussed a lot - search around.

When it comes down to it, it depends entirely on the skill of the lawyers - both yours and theirs... Make sure you find a self defense lawyer now who is experienced in handling self defense cases.

Also helps to paint yourself as a regular shooter who doesnt modify a CCW for personally defense, but does so as the shooter enjoys getting the most out of them when shooting his guns at the range...

I think the best thing any CCWer can do is take classes and join leagues so it is documented that you know what you are doing when it comes to firearms and enjoy the sport of shooting and not a self defense nut.

Magic_Salad0892
03-12-13, 20:55
Well. I'll just list my mods, and how they came to be. Then I'll list the ones I think should be done first. Top three.

10-8 Performance Sights.

The stock sights are garbage. I flipped 'em. AmeriGlo I-Dots sights are great, but I changed 'em because why the **** not? Warrens looked cool. Warren sights were great, but they rusted. Went to Hienies. They were cool, but I wanted a U-Notch. Went 10-8, it was great. Kept 'em.

LWD 9x19mm non-LCI extractor (I'll put in an APEX FRE at 20k)

My OEM extractor was the problem child type dip extractor. I wasn't taking my chance. Extraction has been just fine.

OEM 30274 Ejector

My Gen4s didn't come with it, because I got mine before they started issuing those as standard.

White Sound Defense High Reliability Extractor Depressor Plunger

Ejection was A LITTLE weak, so I checked it out. Made a positive difference. $20 well spent.

Polished Trigger Parts

The stock glock trigger was a bit "creepy" so I cleaned it up a little bit with a dremel polishing head, and a little polishing compound. It was great.

OEM NY1 Spring

I heard good things about how the setup worked, gave a good trigger in conjunction with the minus connector, and gave a strong reset. I shoot to cadence, not reset, but I still apreciated the advantage of having a strong/audible reset.

OEM "-" Connector

It's necessary if you're going to roll the stronger trigger spring, and want to maintain around a 5 lbs. pull or so.

G17 OEM smooth face trigger

Everybody else was doing it, so I tried it, and discovered that it didn't make my finger itch when it got sweaty. Kept it.

Removed finger grooves

Those grooves made the inside of my fingers sore. **** those grooves.

Under cut trigger guard

I got glock knuckle, and wanted a higher grip.

Grip Force Adapeter

I shunned it for a few months, but then everybody else was using 'em, so I tried 'em out to see what the hype was about. My splits got tighter, my groups got better, and I wasn't getting slide bite. It was like buying skill.

Glockmeister Gen4 Grip Plug

Having a big open channel in the gun that goes straight to the ignition system is retarded. I plugged that shit.

OEM Maritime Spring Cups

I live in Oregon. Lots of rain. I carry OWB, and have had water get in my gun before.

Glock OEM Threaded Barrel

I run suppressors. Kind of mandatory for me. AAC Ti-RANT is recommended. :neo:

TangoDown Vickers Gen4 Mag Catch/Slide Catch

I used Glock OEM extended controls before. The stock slide catch is useless. The standard mag catch was too small. They were good, but mediocre. Needed better ones. TangoDown saved the day.

Wolff XP Mag Springs

I was using +2 floorplates so I thought they were needed. Never gave me a problem.

TangoDown Vickers Floorplates (used to use Glock OEM +2)

I tried 'em to see if they made extraction easier if I had to pull the magazine out. They did, but that wasn't important. The important part was that they didn't pinch my hand when I put 'em in the gun.

Mandatory:

TangoDown Vickers Parts - They make controls easier to use.
New Sights - It should be a felony to call the plastic ones "sights".
LWD/APEX Extractor - Insurance.

1000 round function test - Proof of function.

T2C
03-12-13, 20:56
On a defensive pistol I would change sights and the magazine release if you don't like the stock release. I would run a stock trigger.

Magic_Salad0892
03-12-13, 20:57
This has been discussed a lot - search around.

When it comes down to it, it depends entirely on the skill of the lawyers - both yours and theirs... Make sure you find a self defense lawyer now who is experienced in handling self defense cases.

Also helps to paint yourself as a regular shooter who doesnt modify a CCW for personally defense, but does so as the shooter enjoys getting the most out of them when shooting his guns at the range...

I think the best thing any CCWer can do is take classes and join leagues so it is documented that you know what you are doing when it comes to firearms and enjoy the sport of shooting and not a self defense nut.

I know of professional who would agree with this advice.

Big A
03-12-13, 20:58
I suppose I was thinking about what a jury would think. Would the modifications be the icing on the cake? True, if the wrong person gets shot, it probably won't matter.

Unless you put one of those Punisher rear slide plates on it or have the quote "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" from the Bagava Ghita etched into the slide I wouldn't worry too much about how a prosecutor describes your gun to a jury.

I would just get some good sights an extended slide release ( I run the factory Glock ones) and polish the trigger bar. I tried one of the lighter disconnectors and didn't like it.

NeoNeanderthal
03-12-13, 21:00
I cut down a 17 to a 19 sized grip, filled the backstrap gap, and put on good sights (hackathorns). I run a vickers mag catch on my CC gun and one that is slightly bigger (but still smaller then an OEM extended) on my range gun. Good holster, belt and maybe a wml makes a slick cc setup.

ST911
03-12-13, 21:36
Like another poster said, combine search terms "glock carry modification defense liability jury" would get you some great threads where the topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

I changed the sights on my EDC G19 (Trij HD) and G26 (Ameriglo I-Dot Pro). I then shot them a bunch, filled them with ammo from the gtg list, and stuck them in holsters.

okie john
03-13-13, 01:23
For me, the must-have list includes:
Better sights. Trijicon HD Night Sights are sweet.
Extractor/ejector upgrades if your gun needs them.

Nice to have:
Polished OEM (-) connector
OEM smooth-face trigger
Under cut trigger guard (I get Glock knuckle)
Open the inside of the trigger guard bow
Stippling
Grip Plug
OEM Maritime Spring Cups--I live in Washington. Lots of rain, just like Oregon.

Okie John

samuse
03-13-13, 05:48

You will be on trial to determine whether or not you were justified in using lethal force, and/or whether or not you were negligent in shooting the wrong person.

You will NOT be on trial to determine if you had customized your pistol.

*If you don't have any money you may end up with a shitty lawyer that will let your broke ass end up in the pokey.

duece71
03-13-13, 07:18
All,
Thank you for the replies, it sounds like I will be GTG with the modifications I am planning on. Sights, disconnector, trigger polish. Call it good enough.

Littlelebowski
03-13-13, 07:23
All,
Thank you for the replies, it sounds like I will be GTG with the modifications I am planning on. Sights, disconnector, trigger polish. Call it good enough.

Add training and a good holster.

Nater
03-13-13, 08:23

William B.
03-13-13, 08:29
In an extreme case example, a defendant used deadly force against an attacker. From my point of view (and from the viewpoint of multiple firearms lawyers) he appeared to be justified in killing the man who happened to be a husband and father. The problem was that the defendant had a custom engraved handgun that featured "WIDOWMAKER" on the slide. This was used effectively by the prosecution to paint the defendant as a bloodthirsty vagabond who was looking for someone to kill. He was convicted. As I said, extreme example.

Nater,

Do you have any links to this story? Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.

DAVID RICHARDS
03-13-13, 08:34
Night sights,3.5 lb. Ghost connector, $.25 cent trigger job, if new gun APEX extractor kit for reliability and your good to go. Older guns you can skip the APEX extractor. They usually work.

C4IGrant
03-13-13, 08:51
New sights, new disconnector, some minimal trigger work. Is all of this a good idea for a carry gun? What kind of liability is possibly involved by changing anything from box stock?

I carry a GEN 2 G19 for CCW. It has the following done to it:

1. 3.5 connector
2. Ameriglo PRO (Hackathorn) sights
3. Vickers Tactical Mag Release
4. Vickers Tactical Slide Catch
5. Polish all internals (removing burrs, etc).
6. Butt plug.

There is no liability with changing out anything (wives tale).

C4

orlanger
03-13-13, 10:59

samuse
03-13-13, 11:00
I carry a GEN 2 G19 for CCW. It has the following done to it:

1. 3.5 connector
2. Ameriglo PRO (Hackathorn) sights
3. Vickers Tactical Mag Release
4. Vickers Tactical Slide Catch
5. Polish all internals (removing burrs, etc).
6. Butt plug.

There is no liability with changing out anything (wives tale).

C4

Unless you somehow make the gun unsafe and that, in turn, causes an ND which becomes a problem. But we're not discussing that.

My biggest bitch with this whole argument is that it only pertains to Glocks.

Like the last guy posted. Since he's holier than thou, he can change the grips on his 1911 and **** with the hammer spring and he's ok. Even though the whole gun is a custom built thing with NO specs.

Which leads me back to my first point. Have plenty of money and spend it on a good lawyer.

remington79
03-13-13, 11:29
The only thing I do to my pistols is add night sights, buy more mags and shoot.

mikejg
03-13-13, 17:07
How much does the 3.5 lb connector change the trigger? I've been shooting Glocks with the standard trigger for several years now and curious if it would be beneficial to try out the 3.5 lb connector. Thanks in advance.

Nater
03-13-13, 17:26

buckshot1220
03-13-13, 17:58
Maybe we can get a stickied thread going soon? We've had a lot of very similar threads pop up in relation to "What mods to do to my Glock for..."

In the meantime here is a good video to check out put together by some very well respected industry pros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ViI2UWFKg

Nater
03-13-13, 18:24
I am truly sorry that some of you took offense at what I posted. I had no intention of stirring anything up, I was simply sharing the general advice that a gun law attorney gave to a group of individuals who were taking a class, as well as specific recommendations that he gave regarding my 1911. I may not have specified this plainly enough. I have nothing against Glock; I am currently awaiting delivery of my first.

I have deleted my previous posts as some have found them to be offensive.

Please accept my apologies.
Nater

xjustintimex
03-13-13, 19:51
general thoughts on this... don't make the gun have the potential of being unreliable. The stock sights ARE potentially unreliable... so metal ones are a good idea.

From there I would leave the internals stock. If you can't adequately work the slide stop and you absolutely need one that sticks out then the vickers release is awesome.

I like to carry with a grip plug too as Ive had my glocks fill up with dust and crud that makes a nasty trigger pull. It was so dry one year and I had been working around outside in 35mph winds and the grip of my gun had turned tan it was so dusty. I ran into a boar at about 15 yards as I rounded a corner and tried to shoot it and my trigger was so hard I thought it was broken lol. Pig lived to see another day :p

bbakerM4
03-13-13, 20:26
Upgraded sights! This comes down to user preference. I personally like the Trijicon HD night sights with the orange front but there are many nice choices!

The only other things I do are replace the slide stop & mag release with Tango Down/Vickers extended design. These are inexpensive, easily replaced, and very much improved.

I personally like the factory triggers my Glocks. I also only buy factory Glock magazines, when you can find them...

Airhasz
03-14-13, 01:50
How are you guys changing the rear sight? Are you buying the tool or are you taking the Glock to a gun smith and what do they charge for replacing the rear sight? Price for the tool if you buy it?

xjustintimex
03-14-13, 02:27
How are you guys changing the rear sight? Are you buying the tool or are you taking the Glock to a gun smith and what do they charge for replacing the rear sight? Price for the tool if you buy it?

tool is around 100 bucks, sorta pays for itself if you change them a lot. I am a retard and take them to a smith everytime and complain that Im always paying for labor :D but I dont like having to file the sights myself if they don't fit.

catatonic
03-14-13, 03:00
Don't need a tool, you can use a punch. Look up Dawson Precision on YouTube, plenty of informative videos on sight replacement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Backstop
03-14-13, 05:46

The place I buy my Glocks will install sights for free if you buy the sights from them.

I bought this during my Big Dot trial and I see no reason to try another: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/sight-installation-tool-for-glock-prod41512.aspx

Not sure if it will ever monetarily pay for itself and I don't care; it's a lot more convenient being able to do work when I want rather than getting to MLGS when they're open.

orlanger
03-14-13, 08:44
1. Real Sights (I prefer 10-8)
2. Decent Ammo (I prefer 9mm 124 grain Ranger T)
3. Training

There is no liability with changing out anything (wives tale).C4

And this

lil'Zeus
03-14-13, 09:13
I have read threads like this over the years and since I have never been on the legal side of this and thank god never had to discharge my carry weapon in a lifesaving event I have no first hand knowledge of how the process works. But, how in the heck do lawyers know what is done or not done to your pistol? Especially if it is internal? Do they break it down and go through it?

Im just curious as to if these questions come up or is this is over thinking it?

Thanks in advance...
Shane

DarrinD2
03-14-13, 12:15
I have read threads like this over the years and since I have never been on the legal side of this and thank god never had to discharge my carry weapon in a lifesaving event I have no first hand knowledge of how the process works. But, how in the heck do lawyers know what is done or not done to your pistol? Especially if it is internal? Do they break it down and go through it?

Im just curious as to if these questions come up or is this is over thinking it?

Thanks in advance...
Shane

I've practiced as an attorney for a long time, and I've never come across a case that a modified gun was an issue or a case where the tactical look of a rifle was an issue. As for your question, if an attorney wanted to see if mods had been done to a pistol they would issue a motion to produce the gun for inspection, hire an expensive expert witness to inspect it. I'm sure these things have been done somewhere/sometime, but imo it's greatly exaggerated. More important than worrying about mods to your gun is worrying about your training and accuracy, imo

currahee
03-14-13, 12:29
I carry a Gen 2 19. Modifications include;

*Trij night sights
*polished the trigger pull w/ flitz and dremel
*Pierce mag base (pinki extension, not +2)
*Vickers mag release
*grip plug
*stippling
*I had the slide refinished because it was so old and worn, but that has since worn off now I just have a shiny slide and bbl.

Some of my Glocks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUoGFNc3uM)

I don't wory about what my gun might seem like to a Jury.

PLCedeno
03-14-13, 14:58
I've practiced as an attorney for a long time, and I've never come across a case that a modified gun was an issue or a case where the tactical look of a rifle was an issue. As for your question, if an attorney wanted to see if mods had been done to a pistol they would issue a motion to produce the gun for inspection, hire an expensive expert witness to inspect it. I'm sure these things have been done somewhere/sometime, but imo it's greatly exaggerated. More important than worrying about mods to your gun is worrying about your training and accuracy, imo

Also having practiced law for over two decades some of it as a prosecutor, i agree with this.

lil'Zeus
03-14-13, 15:08
Thanks guys, that was why I raised this quesitons. I really didn't think it matters one single bit, or would they even know by looking at if it had been altered. JMO

Thomas M-4
03-14-13, 15:19
Both glock 19's are the same.
Glock factory - connector & NY trigger spring,
Glockmiester grip plug,
Vickers tactical magazine release & slide release controls ( I really like the M&P style slide release) ,
Polished internals(if done correctly it can really help the trigger IMHO)
Heinie ledge night sights,
Apex tactical extractor and gen 4 ejector (fixed my BTF issue).
I am considering having the trigger guard under cut.