PDA

View Full Version : Maine magazine capacity legislation - L.D. 997

Circle_10
03-13-13, 10:52
Looks like it's our turn....

http://www.kjonline.com/news/Maine-bill-would-limit-ammo-magazines-to-10-bullets.html?fb_comment_id=fbc_257381197730937_1087612_257705964365127#f3a80fc91c5b92e

Bill text.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_126th/billtexts/SP034201.asp

JS-Maine
03-13-13, 15:35
Colorado just had this rammed down their throats A few days ago despite very strong public disapproval. I'm wondering if Bloomberg will now funnel in his millions into lobbying our state reps as well.

Never underestimate who their millions can buy out. I pray that Mainers get off their butts, contact their reps, and help & encourage others to do the same or we are headed for the same end.

Find your legislators below:
http://www.maine.gov/legis/house/townlist.htm

Heavy Metal
03-13-13, 15:42
Your Governor is a Republican.

JS-Maine
03-13-13, 16:25
Yes and thankfully he is a very strong conservative. I partially think that this legislation will be pushed in an attempt to lower his approval before he comes up for re election in 2014. However, he got a good boost in defending concealed carry permit holders. It might backfire in their faces.

Excellent evidence against magazine limitation:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Upjn5DR0o&feature=plpp

Maineshooter
03-13-13, 21:01
I don't think it's doing to pass - this time. We can't, however, let our guard down. The progressive liberal mindset is working it's way north from Portland.

Circle_10
04-24-13, 13:21
Moving forward....

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Biddeford-senator-breaks-committee-tie-to-back-gun-magazine-limits.html

Hopefully it doesn't get more traction.

Maineshooter
04-24-13, 13:33
The governor will shit can this even if it happens to slip by, but it's a sign of the times. I can't think of one homicide in Maine that the shooter used a high-cap magazine. Makes for a really good distraction from the real problem in Maine - the economy.

Moving forward....

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Biddeford-senator-breaks-committee-tie-to-back-gun-magazine-limits.html

Hopefully it doesn't get more traction.

weggy
04-24-13, 13:39
Your Governor is a Republican.

He also promised firearms manufacturers that might move to maine that he would make sure Maine stayed a gun friendly state! I guess we'll see.:confused:

SPQR476
04-24-13, 14:05
Go straight for the Governor, too. Present this as an opportunity to stand up. Hell, if Maine shuts this down, we'll give a shout out to that on social media, and so should the rest of the industry. Whatever grass roots organization you have up there should pledge support to his re-election if he kills it.

halo2304
04-25-13, 19:37
I sent an email to my representatives, senator and Gov. LePage and when I sent it, I made sure they knew it was sent to the others. I tried to keep it as straight and to the point as possible.

ETA: Here's what I wrote.

"I am writing to urge you to oppose any gun control proposals but, specifically LD997. Maine is one of the safest states in the union. I have read LD997 and as I understand it, this law will hurt Maine citizens in three ways. First, limiting the number of rounds a gun holds does no one any good in the event they need to use the gun to defend themselves or their loved ones. It is the equivalent of tying an arm behind our back and expecting us to fight Mike Tyson. The fact that law enforcement is exempt is hypocritical since they would be facing the same criminals that prey on the law-abiding citizens.

Secondly, this bill also has the potential to create “criminals” out of the citizens of Maine. Anyone possessing a magazine with a capacity greater than ten rounds becomes suspect of illegally obtaining the magazine after the ban despite possessing it before the ban. There would be no way of proving they owned the magazine before the ban. Finally, the bill would make it a crime to transfer (i.e. sell or give away) any magazine with a capacity greater than ten rounds. This would severely devalue any firearm no longer being made which came with magazines with capacities greater than ten rounds.

Maine’s unofficial motto is “Maine: The way life should be.” If this and any other gun control measures become law, it might as well be “Maine: Remember how good we had it?” I was born and raised in Maine. I am currently attending college at University of Southern Maine and am about to graduate. I would like to stay in Maine as it is my home. However, if LD997 or any other proposal to restrict my 2nd Amendment rights becomes law, I may leave the state. However, as long as I am a resident and registered voter living in Maine, I will vote against and donate to the campaigns of anyone running against those who voted for LD997 and the like."

mattg1024
04-25-13, 20:30
I wrote to Lepage. No response but with the way he has been trying to get companies moved here I'd think he would can anything that made it through.

mattg1024
05-02-13, 09:51
Got this message in an Email this morning. Good news.

"Matthew,

Thanks for your constructive email. As you might know, LD 997 was voted unanimously ought not to pass earlier this week.

Best to you and your family.
Justin

134 Sheridan Street
Portland, ME 04101
207-232-4187"

Maineshooter
05-02-13, 21:25
Common sense prevails for once.

mattg1024
05-03-13, 21:17
Go straight for the Governor, too. Present this as an opportunity to stand up. Hell, if Maine shuts this down, we'll give a shout out to that on social media, and so should the rest of the industry. Whatever grass roots organization you have up there should pledge support to his re-election if he kills it.

I'll be looking for that shout out..;)

SPQR476
05-07-13, 07:23
Just got back from NRA...coming.

SPQR476
05-07-13, 07:36
Done.

halo2304
05-07-13, 08:24
I would LOVE to see you guys move to Maine. However, I'd hate to see Magpul come to Maine and then have to move again because of a bunch of (explicit insult here) who manage to pass the very laws that caused you to move from Colorado.

ETA: If you do come to Maine, I will work for PMags! ;-)

mattg1024
05-08-13, 15:02
Done.

Thanks! It makes me feel like writing reps actually helps when something like this gets shot down. Always a toss up though in a very blue state.

Small victories. Hopefully other states will follow.