PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Mags

AUH20
03-17-08, 16:25
I just got my first 1911 yesterday and am looking to buy additional magazines. What are some opinons as to what is best out there ?

Thanks

Lumpy196
03-17-08, 16:42
Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick.

NoBody
03-17-08, 18:28
Wilson Combat 47D. Eight years experience without and magazine problems. I haven't personally used the Wilson Combat Elite, but the reviews I've heard have been very positive.

rhino
03-17-08, 18:32
Wilson 47Ds are great. Chimp McCormick Power Mags are great. Both are very reliable. The Power Mags have the advantage because you can get them for $5-$7 less per magazine.

The new Wilson elite and the Tripp Cobra mags are probably even better, but I contend that if a gun won't run 100% with either Wilson 47D or Power Mags, there is something wrong with the gun.

NoBody
03-17-08, 18:41
The new Wilson elite and the Tripp Cobra mags are probably even better, but I contend that if a gun won't run 100% with either Wilson 47D or Power Mags, there is something wrong with the gun.

I'd have to agree with you on that. The three features I like about the Elite are the base plate numbers (for numbering you magazines), round indicator marking on the mag body, and the base plate looks easier to "rip" a magazine out of the mag well, if needed. The cost keeps me from replacing or adding to my 47D's.

RD62
03-17-08, 20:14
Wilson 47Ds are great. Chimp McCormick Power Mags are great. Both are very reliable. The Power Mags have the advantage because you can get them for $5-$7 less per magazine.

I have to give a big +1 to this!

I like the follower in the Wilson mags as they don't tilt when loading like my PowerMags do. However, the metal CMC followers should, in theory last longer, and the tilting has not caused any malfunctions, the Wilson's are just ever so slightly easier to load. But as mentioned above I can get the CMC Powermag 8rnd mags for almost half the price allowing me to buy more. So they get the nod from me. I'd like to give the new Wilson's a try, but will probably let someone else foot the bill, for a gift or something.

-RD62

HolyRoller
03-18-08, 08:52
So if a 1911 runs perfectly with the factory mags it came with, and then you put one of youse guyses favorite mags in and it jams--there's something wrong with the GUN?????

Brand names are good guides sometimes, but the proof of the pudding is in the feeding. Use whatever mag setup actually works with YOUR 1911. If all rounds feed, chamber, extract, and eject, then by definition nothing is wrong regardless of whether there's a shooting star mark on the mag body.

I've had excellent results with buying Chip McCormick 8-round mags, taking out the spring and follower, and replacing them with Tripp Industries 7-round springs and followers. This is, or was at the time, the recommendation of Those Who Know What They're Doing over at 10-8 Forums. Tripp may be making their own mag bodies by now and that's something to look into.

If you're worried to death about having only 7+1 rounds instead of 8+1 (because we all know in most gunfights that instant 9th round is almost always the winner, never the 8 that came before it), then that's nature's way of telling you to either learn to hit with the first 8 and reload smoothly, or get a double stack non-1911.

NoBody
03-18-08, 08:59
Huh? :confused:

I thought this thread was a request by AUH20 for magazine recommendations for his newly purchased 1911. I think we're drifting off target now.

markm
03-18-08, 09:08
I thought I had finally found a great 1911 mag in the ACT MAG made for Novak. Metal follower, strong spring, bumper pad on the base, etc. But someone here (I believe) posted that the mag bodies are brittle and can crack in the feed lip area.

Wilson Combat mags (7 rnd 1911 version) have regularly failed to lock the slide back in my 1911s. I still use them since they feed reliably, but have just come to accept the occasional lock back failure.

Other than that, I've given up on the never ending search for the 1911 mag that will finally be "THE ANSWER".

Joe Mamma
03-18-08, 09:22
I thought I had finally found a great 1911 mag in the ACT MAG made for Novak. Metal follower, strong spring, bumper pad on the base, etc. But someone here (I believe) posted that the mag bodies are brittle and can crack in the feed lip area.

Right now, the Novak's are my favorite. I haven't had any problems with them but in all honesty, I haven't used them that much.

Joe Mamma

markm
03-18-08, 09:25
Yeah. They seem to be a great mag. Maybe the guy who posted the cracking info will see this. Who knows? I haven't read about this anywhere else, but I haven't looked very hard either... maybe I'll google it. :eek:

STS
03-18-08, 11:10
I can personally attest to Novak mags cracking. I had six and none lasted more than 3 months - on average 2 range trips a week, each trip approx 200-400 rounds. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

I've yet to have problems with Powermags. They work great and hold up well, and the price is right. Wilsons have shown wear and tear, but Wilson always replaces them no questions asked.

markm
03-18-08, 12:45
I can personally attest to Novak mags cracking. I had six and none lasted more than 3 months - on average 2 range trips a week, each trip approx 200-400 rounds. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Were they the ACT MAGs specifically? (I ask because I'm not sure if Novaks were ever made by anyone else previously)

KevinB
03-18-08, 13:12
The Novak and Nighthawk mags made by ACT are ASS...

Drive them over and do yourself a favour.

markm
03-18-08, 13:45
Wow! I only have one that I bought to try out. I'll just use it up and be done with it then.

Combat_Diver
03-18-08, 13:58
I'll add another vote for Wilson's or CMC. Never had any problems with them at home or in the sandbox nor with my older Shooting Stars/Devel 8 round mags. Somehow I've managed to find another old M1911 (thats 1911 not M1911A1) over here in the sandbox. As soon as I get my recoil spring and slide stop (on its way) the three shooting stars with me will be giving it a test.

Demigod, good to still see your alive and kicking.

CD

markm
03-18-08, 14:03
Demigod, good to still see your alive and kicking.

I get into much less trouble over here. :D

KevinB
03-18-08, 14:22
Very true... ;)

I had 4 of the ATC Nigthhawk mags borrowed from Dinger -- Fortunately I am pretty good at handgun stoppage drills, for I was getting a workout -- when I switched to the Wilson Elites I bought from Grant, (unfortunately Day3 of that class) there where no more issues.

I received two ATC Novak mags with a Novak pistol I bought recently. The gun is flawless with the CMC or Wilson mags, but pretty much is a 50% chance it will have a mag related feedway stoppage in the last two rounds of those mags.

I have a number of Wilson and CMC mags with my 1911 in Iraq, and after the springs on the 10rd Wilsons where swapped they are GTG -- no problems with the CMC 8 or 10 powermags - so I run them primary -- and the Wilsons tag along to the range.

BT2012
03-18-08, 17:01
I had 12 ACT mags and had to return 4 where they failed to drop free and they didn't have a lot a rounds go through it:( . I also tried Kimbers Tac mag and 1 out of 3 have failed to drop free:( . So far, I haven't had problems with Wilson 47D and the new Elites, CMC Power Mag and Tripp mags:) . I've heard CMC was producing a new mag, Power Mag Plus, but haven't seen it on Chip's website yet.

Gunfighter13
03-18-08, 17:30
Wilson 7 or 8 round, CMC power mags 7,8, or 10 round, Novaks 8 round or Tripp 8 or 10 round.

Hobbes
03-18-08, 18:02
Personally I think the Tripp mags are the best thing going. I use those for carry and range and I picked up some $12 7 round, round follower metalforms just for range use and have been pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but for $12 I've actually had really good luck with them.

toddackerman
03-23-08, 15:30
Another vote for the Tripp GenII Cobra 8 Round Mags. The tie breaker over the Wilson ETM's is the superior follower design that has a metal slide lock engagement surface built into the follower which eliminates this wear area that the Wilson followers have had some issues with.

My second vote is the Wilson ETM with the Tripp Super 7 follower and Tripp 14 coil spring, but it does limit the round count to 7. I have tested this combination with 5 mags/ 200 rounds each with no problems.

FWIW...I was one of the few that experienced some issues with the last round reliability on the Wilson 47D's.

RD62
03-23-08, 17:31
Very true... ;)

I have a number of Wilson and CMC mags with my 1911 in Iraq, and after the springs on the 10rd Wilsons where swapped they are GTG -- no problems with the CMC 8 or 10 powermags - so I run them primary -- and the Wilsons tag along to the range.

Kevin,

How many CMC 10rnd do you have? How long you been running them? I know you said they were GTG, but have you had any issues at all?

I picked up one to try out, but have only maybe 100 rnds through it, but so far it has been GTG. An endorsement from you goes a long way in my book. Looks like I may need to add a couple more.

-RD62

buzby
03-23-08, 18:05
i bought a couple of wilson 47dc mags, and have had no issues with them. but i have not had any problems with the original mags that came with my springfield either.

KevinB
03-23-08, 21:12
I got 6 10rders right after the Low Light class last Nov for my personal 1911's.
Probably 2-300 thru each -- plus I got 4 for my work gun in Iraq, probably 200 thru each there.

I got them intiallty because BigRed and ErikL have been running them with no issues -- and my short sample has been perfect -- I had the 8rd CMC's for the last year and a bit in Iraq with no issues either.

My Wilson Elites are still running fine too ---
with all my #47 series ones the springs shit the bed within a month so the Elite is the only Wilson mag I am buying now.

RD62
03-23-08, 22:16
Thanks Kevin, I may pick up a couple extra 10's to try out.

I haven't had a prob with the origninal 47D's yet, but I don't get to put as many rounds through them as I'd like.

I still need to try some of the Elites too.

I feel a Brownells order coming on.....

-RD62

grinch
03-23-08, 23:41
I've followed Hiltons advice and must say I have not had ANY magazine issues since.

CMC mags with tripp upgrades.

more info

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34673&an=0&page=0#34673

snacks
03-24-08, 00:14
i swear by wilsons. i've tried the novaks and mecgar's but really like wilson mags especially their ten rounders. Can't beat their warranty either

sff70
03-24-08, 01:49
Having tried them all, CMC Powermags are the way to go in a factory mag.

Good strong tube. Steel follower. Strong spring.

I used to swear by Wilsons. Now I swear at them. I have 16 that I'm sending back due to feed lip spread. The worst ones are so bad that they contribute to double feeds.

NH/Novak/Act Mags are notorious for cracking at the back of the feed lips. The 2 NH mags I have did exactly that, with minimal use.

The Tripp mags are very good, but cost more than the CMC Powermags.

SCULLY
03-24-08, 08:30
There is suppose to be a new "CMC Powermag Plus" coming out, Hilton Yam mentioned it from the S.H.O.T show. This is what Hilton mentioned.....

Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus - Chip sent me home with a small batch of his new Power Mag Plus, which features an improved follower. This new design is slightly longer to prevent the original designs tendency to jump forward and damage aluminum feed ramps. Even better was the addition of two very large scalloped relief cuts on the sides of the follower to permit grit to flow through. Limited range testing of the 8 and 10 round formats was promising.

mactastic
03-24-08, 11:56
47D's for me.

Shihan
03-25-08, 02:34
There is suppose to be a new "CMC Powermag Plus" coming out, Hilton Yam mentioned it from the S.H.O.T show. This is what Hilton mentioned.....

Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus - Chip sent me home with a small batch of his new Power Mag Plus, which features an improved follower. This new design is slightly longer to prevent the original designs tendency to jump forward and damage aluminum feed ramps. Even better was the addition of two very large scalloped relief cuts on the sides of the follower to permit grit to flow through. Limited range testing of the 8 and 10 round formats was promising.

They are being advertised currently and they arent cheap.

UNIT 6639
03-25-08, 05:34
The Wilson Combat and Chip Mckormicks work 100% in my Kimber!

SCULLY
03-25-08, 07:20
They are being advertised currently and they arent cheap.

Where abouts, i havent seen anything, thanks.

MT Predator
03-25-08, 09:01
I've had good luck running CMC Powermags and Shooting Stars.

Geoffrey
03-25-08, 09:08
Any experience with Checkmate mags?

They are getting good feedback on one of the 1911 forums.

Any checkmate users here?

Shihan
03-25-08, 12:38
Where abouts, i havent seen anything, thanks.

I have seen them in the mags. The add has a pic of Chip with a **** eating grin holding up the mag. The add talks about the new mags are in limited supply etc.

Shihan
03-25-08, 12:40
Any experience with Checkmate mags?

They are getting good feedback on one of the 1911 forums.

Any checkmate users here?

I have a few that Sig sent me when they tried to weasle out of reparing my Major POS Sig Revolution(yeah I know I was an idiot to buy it). I had a few failures out of working guns with the Checkmates so they have become range mags. They use the same kind of cheap spring they use in their Beretta mags.

SCULLY
03-25-08, 18:19
I have seen them in the mags. The add has a pic of Chip with a **** eating grin holding up the mag. The add talks about the new mags are in limited supply etc.

Ok, i will keep an eye out for the ad, thanks alot.

SHIVAN
03-25-08, 19:52
Three 47D's and Twenty 8rd Power Mags. All are GTG.

I like the price on the Power Mags better though.

Parabellum9x19mm
04-10-08, 19:27
what's the consensus on Colt flush fit 8 round mags?

I love my 47Ds, but I just bought my first Colt, wondering if I should just run it with the Wilson's or what? I also have a Novak mag, hasn't cracked on me yet.

Why do people prefer metal followers?

Thanks

sff70
04-11-08, 02:03
Due to my problems with 47Ds requiring me to send back **16** of them, I will never again use 47Ds for duty/carry.

I don't trust them to not develop feed lip spread, for their plastic followers to not spread/deform causing binding and failures to lock back, etc.

It's great that Wilson is replacing the 16 mags at not cost, but the new mags will go into my range bag, to be used for practice only.

Powermags are the only 1911 mags I use for duty/carry. I've been very pleased with their performance.

Lumpy196
04-11-08, 08:35
Due to my problems with 47Ds requiring me to send back **16** of them, I will never again use 47Ds for duty/carry.

You pretty much previously stated that entire post a page ago ;)

M4Guru
04-11-08, 10:05
I will use CMC 8 rounders (whichever version uses Wilson basepads) if necessary, but my go-to mag is and always has been the Wilson 47D.

I have not messed with the ETMs but I would like to at some point try them out.

sff70
04-12-08, 01:28
Lumpy noted "You pretty much previously stated that entire post a page ago"

Guess I did, didn't I! :D

Ned Christiansen
04-12-08, 10:13
Tripps are my current fave.

A Tripp Super 7 kit in just about any mag body makes a good mag. The extra strength of the spring is a big step in the right direction, even in a lightly-sprung 1911 with wuss loads, the stiff mag spring does not impede cycle. It does in some cases tend to spread the lips of a 47D though. Have not see this in other mags.

For carry mags I like to take, say, a factory Colt mag (Metalform I guess), TIG the floorplate in, dehorn it a bit at the bottom, Parkerize/paint/bake it, put a Tripp kit in, and go.

toddackerman
04-13-08, 10:06
Tripps are my current fave.

A Tripp Super 7 kit in just about any mag body makes a good mag. The extra strength of the spring is a big step in the right direction, even in a lightly-sprung 1911 with wuss loads, the stiff mag spring does not impede cycle. It does in some cases tend to spread the lips of a 47D though. Have not see this in other mags.

For carry mags I like to take, say, a factory Colt mag (Metalform I guess), TIG the floorplate in, dehorn it a bit at the bottom, Parkerize/paint/bake it, put a Tripp kit in, and go.

I have also now replaced all of the followers and springs in all my Mags. (Wilson 47, Wilson ETM, Colt, and Metalform) with the Tripp Super 7 upgrade. However, as I reported earlier in this tread, it will make all other 8 round Mags (Except Tripp GENII Cobra Mags) 7 rounders as the follower design and heavier gauge spring diameter in the Tripp upgrade will not allow for 8 rounds in anything but a Tripp 8 round Mag. Virgil Tripp is looking at this issue, as it would be a benefit to all if the conversion allowed 8 rounds in any 8 round Mag like the CM, Metalform, ETM, 47 etc.

I have experimented with custom cut 11 1/2 coil Tripp springs (the standard is 14 coils) and followers in the Wilson ETM's (5 with 200 rounds fired on each, and 24/7 fully loaded for 3 months now) with excellent results, but I question if the 11 1/2 coils will hold up under long tem compression and maintain control of the last round feeding and provide adequate slide lock actuation. These can be issues with too eweak of a spring, and until I have tested them more, I wouldn't recommend them for serious use.

DacoRoman
06-05-08, 21:31
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and I've enjoyed the information and discussions.

I just bought myself a Wilson CQB, and while the 47D's that came with the gun work very well, I am now on the quest of figuring out what the best mags are.

I was on one of the 1911 forums and a really big issue was/is being made about the respective feed lip designs available.

From what I gather, there are three types of feed lip designs: 1) GI style - essentially for FMJ, 2) Waddcutter style (relatively short and parallel feed lips) e.g. the Wilson mags and the Tripp mags etc, and 3) the Hybrid design as invented by Colt ("tapered style").

The argument made by some of the gurus there is that the Wadcutter design, e.g. Wilson Tripp et. al. are sub-optimal because as the breech face drives the round out of the mag, the bullet, as it comes out of the feed lips, jumps out and becomes "out of control" relative to the breech face; instead of keeping contact with the breech face and having its rim slip under the extractor, it instead "jumping ahead" as it were.

This then can cause a "push through" feed where, the extractor has to force itself over the rim as the round chambers. The argument is then, that, this can cause extractor stress, including breakage, or de-tensioning, etc.

The hybrid lips are touted as superior because they effectuate a "controlled feed" with the breech never losing contact with the bullet, and therefore causing the rim of the cartridge to slip under the extractor in smooth and optimal manner.

Apparently Check Mate mags offers a "hybrid" design, and the hybrid 7 rounder is highly touted by the above referred to 1911 forum guru(s), as are the Colt "hybrids".

So I appeal to your common bank of knowledge, and especially to the 1911 gurus in this forum, for help.

Is this issue something one needs to worry about? Is it commonly known or accepted that the "wadcutter" lip design, as seen in Wilson and Trip mags, etc, is hard on extractors, and ought to be best avoided?

Thanks for your thoughts.

toddackerman
06-05-08, 21:48
You're going to get different inputs on this. Based on my experience with Wilson "TYPE" Magazine feed lip designs over the last 30 years, I believe this design to be best because it keeps control of the round until it lets it release. The Colt design is variable, and not constant from Mag to Mag. Just measure several mags from front to back and you will see this. The straight feed lip designs are much more precise. Much more!

This being said, I believe the Tripp design and materials to be the best. Here's a thread form one of the real afficianados, Hilton Yam on this topic.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

www.trippresearch.com

exitinyourhead
06-05-08, 21:48
magpul/wilson alliance for the win!!!!!!!

sorry, just thinking out loud (posting out loud)

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-05-08, 22:38
In my experience, it is a gun by gun thing. I have Colt mags, Metalform, Springfield, Kimber, Chip Mcormick, (8 and 10) Wilsons, Novaks, Nighthawks and tripps. The most consitent in all my 1911s. Cheap ass metalform 7 rounders. The Wilsons have been the worst. The Novaks and McCormic mags the best. The tripps do indeed hold the slide back more consistently than the Novaks in some gun, but induce a weird 3 point jam in my colts. Sigh...:confused:

ThirdWatcher
06-05-08, 23:03
I have Wilson 47Ds and ETMs, McCormick PowerMags, and KimPro Tac-Mags that all feed reliably is my service pistol (NHC 10-8). I have never found a magazine it didn't like (to include counterfeit Colt mags). However, the Tac-Mags seem to be the best out there, at least IMHO. They have metal followers with teflon coating and seem to slide into the pistol a touch easier than the others.

theJanitor
06-06-08, 14:56
i have used the wilson 47D's exclusively over the past 10-12 years or so. they've worked in everything from springers to gold cups to kimbers and wilson's. but they absolutely would not work in a commander length Les Baer. two to three ftf's per magazine. and you need to exert extraordinary pressure to get the mags to seat and activate the mag catch.

the Novak/ACT mags are working great. i got around 15 of them and not a single malfunction since i started using them 6 months ago. i leave most of them loaded too and no feed lip deformation as of yet. only time will tell, i guess.

Perryguy
06-06-08, 15:29
Wilson ETM...my two cents (mags are a bit more!)

CFII
06-06-08, 15:41
I have 23 CMC 8rd powermags with Tripp Super 7 kits. They are flawless.
I also have 7 CMC 10rd powermags with the Tripp Super 9 kits, and they are just as flawless.

DacoRoman
06-06-08, 17:33
Thanks for the responses guys.

I think it is interesting how this whole hybrid lips vs wadcutter lips issue doesn't really come up or seem to get much traction in other forums. I especially find it interesting that Hilton Yam doesn't mention a peep about this mag lip issue.

To me this indicates that I shouldn't worry 'bout it and buy a solidly made magazine that gives good feeding in my gun :)

Still, for some reason this issue is fascinating enough for me that I might post this question over in the 10-8 forums :D

DocMinster
06-06-08, 17:40
I just got my first 1911 yesterday and am looking to buy additional magazines. What are some opinons as to what is best out there ?

Thanks

Tripp research is what I went with for my 10mm Nighthawk
http://www.trippresearch.com

theJanitor
06-30-08, 20:18
aside from the TRIPP research website, where can i order these from? and how much am i going to pay for them? i really want to give these a try now.

toddackerman
07-01-08, 08:04
This is what you want for a full size Govt. Model/ Commander, and Tripp is the only place to get them to my knowlwdge.

Click on "45" on the left of the web page, and then click on Part # 8R-45-RG on the left when you get to this sight.

Don't mess with anything else or get confused by all the options. You want the GENII 8 Round Cobra Mag with the removeable base pad for a full size 1911. You DO NOT want anything with the "Flex Follower" in it.

http://www.trippresearch.com/CVS/products/1911/1911.html