PDA

View Full Version : Shield 9 vs MP 9C

mtdawg169
03-13-13, 23:14
I picked up a new Shield 9 yesterday and find myself asking an unexpected question. With the more compact dimensions of the Shield, does my trusty 9C serve a purpose any longer? I've carried a 9c for several years now. Mine is set up with an Apex DCAEK, RAM and Heinie straight eight sights. The 9c has always been reliable and exceptionally accurate for its size. The only downside to the 9c has been its size in certain situations, especially in lightweight summer attire. However, my initial impression of the Shield is that it will be be more concealable and accuracy is good. I'll probably drop in a Shield DCAEK and install better sights very soon. So here's my questions for those of you who have either carried the Shield for a while now or those who have owned both:

What requirements does the 9c fill that the Shield cannot?

Aside from magazine capacity, What are the pros / cons of one vs the other, specifically in a concealed carry role.

OldState
03-13-13, 23:27
I was excited when the Shield came out as I was looking for a compact 9mm.

When I finally got to handle both, I didnt feel there was enough difference to give up capacity. Plus the grip is longer!

HuttoAg96
03-13-13, 23:56
Same opinion as OldState. Regularly carry a 9c, handled and shot a Shield. The Shield won't serve any function for me that the 9c won't, and carries one less bad guy's worth of rounds in it. It is too big for me to pocket carry and thus can't replace the j-frame in my rotation when I cannot carry the 9c effectively. Cool gun, I just don't really have a purpose for it.

Sam
03-14-13, 05:09
You answered your own question before you even asked :)

Aside from magazine capacity, What are the pros / cons of one vs the other, specifically in a concealed carry role.

. The only downside to the 9c has been its size in certain situations, especially in lightweight summer attire.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 05:18
I prefer the 9c, easier to shoot, more ammo, mag and holster compatibility with full sized guns. The shield does nothing that my 9c doesn't do. Wearing iwb and a t-shirt, I wore my 9c at a family friend's house for 3 days, hugging people, playing games, fixing a ceiling fan, etc. They never noticed. So I don't really consider the shield more concealable because the 9c is already unnoticeable iwb and the shield doesn't work as a pocket gun for me either.

If I tucked my shirt in during the summer, I might see the use of the shield. But I only tuck my shirt in for formal or work settings, and those tend to have a jacket involved too.

usmc2014
03-14-13, 07:20
I own both. Actually more accurately my WIFE owns both. The M&P 9mmC was her first handgun and she loves it to death. When the Shield came out we got on the waiting lists on all the gunshops in the area. 6 months later and no calls so we bought the Sig P938.
She liked the Sig because it was so much easier to conceal but a grip screw fell out and after the new ones i ordered arrived it turned out the frame was stripped out. It didn't affect the function of the gun so she continued to carry it until we FINALLY got a phone call from one of our gunshops about a Shield in stock. We immediately went there and she decide she really liked it so it came home with us and the Sig went back to the factory for repair.

She likes shooting the 9mmC a lot better but she carries the Shield because it conceals better than her 9mmC. The trigger on the Shield is not as good as the one her 9mmC but will probably smooth out with time and rounds down range. Also She wants me to do a light stippling job on the Shield because it tends to slip around in her hands while doing rapid fire strings.

Both are in 9mm. I am still trying to decide which night sights to put on her Shield but other than that I guess my answer is BUY BOTH! :lol: In my case my wife would not consider getting rid of her 9mmC and really wanted the shield.. And as they say.. when momma ain't happy; ain't NOBODY happy! So we own both...

Steve S.
03-14-13, 08:50
I picked up a new Shield 9 yesterday and find myself asking an unexpected question. With the more compact dimensions of the Shield, does my trusty 9C serve a purpose any longer? I've carried a 9c for several years now. Mine is set up with an Apex DCAEK, RAM and Heinie straight eight sights. The 9c has always been reliable and exceptionally accurate for its size. The only downside to the 9c has been its size in certain situations, especially in lightweight summer attire. However, my initial impression of the Shield is that it will be be more concealable and accuracy is good. I'll probably drop in a Shield DCAEK and install better sights very soon. So here's my questions for those of you who have either carried the Shield for a while now or those who have owned both:

The Shield has great accuracy, a so-so trigger, and a safety by default.

Shield mags are easier to hide and less noticeable when carrying. I know most fights end at slide lock, but I like to think most on this forum are of a "higher caliber" of fighter... one that at least would speed reload.

I honestly think (not trying to be a dick) that the Shield's biggest advantage right now is that Glock doesn't make a single stack 9mm to compete.

I find most of the time there is no need for an M&P compact or G26 - since a G19 hides well in these situations. If the G19 won't hide... the G26 probably won't hide well either... and it's time to get the Shield. For me, the Shield stays around for the hottest of summer days and sometimes when wearing a suit and / or going to "less permissive" environments.

My two favorite size pistols - the G19 and Shield - are made by different manufacturers with really no other makers offering competition in those size packages. S&W needs to do like the 45c and offer a 9mm with the fullsize (or slightly cropped) slide on a compact frame that has the dustcover extended to take a real weapon light.

LonghunterCO
03-14-13, 08:58
So I am not the only one that wiched that the shield had the ability to take a light?

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 09:00
You answered your own question before you even asked :)

Thanks for the input so far guys. Keep in mind that my comparisons are from only about a day and a half of owning the Shield and one short range session. As I mentioned, the 9c has been a great gun. I also own a full size MP9. My only complaint so far with the Shield is the trigger. It's heavier and more gritty than my Apex equipped pistols, but that is easily fixed. Over the years, my only issue with the 9c has been that it is sometimes hard to conceal. That may be due to my body size, as most guns stick out like a sore thumb on me if I'm doing anything other than standing. I carry with an MTAC at 3:30-4 o'clock.

I'll need a lot more time with the Shield before making a decision on switching to it permanently. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is does the 9c have any other great advantage over the Shield aside from capacity? OR does the Shield pose any significant disadvantages vs the 9c? Some portion of the answer can only be determined with more time behind the trigger. However, any observations from folks who have used both are greatly appreciated.

Either way, I'm keeping the 9c, the only question is will the Shield replace it as my EDC or will it be relegated to use in specific circumstances where concealing the 9c is problematic? The lighter weight and thin profile seem ideal for EDC, unless there's something I'm missing or haven't figured out yet.

Thanks guys!

Sam
03-14-13, 09:27
I also own a full size MP9.

And a PPQ :) .

Over the years, my only issue with the 9c has been that it is sometimes hard to conceal. That may be due to my body size, as most guns stick out like a sore thumb on me if I'm doing anything other than standing..

Maybe it's the carry system that you need to look into. When I had the M&P C, I carried it in a simple Blade Tech IWB, it concealed pretty good. I have a G19 that I use to teach with (hate glocks), when I do have to carry it, I use a simple $30 Blade Tech Nano.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is does the 9c have any other great advantage over the Shield aside from capacity? OR does the Shield pose any significant disadvantages vs the 9c? . .

The Shield's advantage over the Compact is it's lighter and thinner. That's my take.

When I couldn't find a Shield after months of waiting, I gave the Ruger LC9 a try. It's basically has the same physical dimensions. Carrying the LC9 is ...... well .... like having nothing on. Its small size practically disappears, similar to carrying a J frame S&W revolver.

If you give up on that Shield, let me know, I'll give it a good home. :p

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 09:42
And a PPQ :) .

Maybe it's the carry system that you need to look into. When I had the M&P C, I carried it in a simple Blade Tech IWB, it concealed pretty good. I have a G19 that I use to teach with (hate glocks), when I do have to carry it, I use a simple $30 Blade Tech Nano.

The Shield's advantage over the Compact is it's lighter and thinner. That's my take.

When I couldn't find a Shield after months of waiting, I gave the Ruger LC9 a try. It's basically has the same physical dimensions. Carrying the LC9 is ...... well .... like having nothing on. Its small size practically disappears, similar to carrying a J frame S&W revolver.

PPQ! You have a good memory. ;) I just picked up an M2 and sold the classic to a buddy. Now if I could just track down some M2 mags.

I'm going to order a new kydex for the MTAC and see how the Shield carries. After the 6 month wait, I'm not sure I'll ever let go of the Shield. I've never waited that long for any gun. If you're looking for one, Army Navy Outdoors in Stockbridge received some Shields two days ago. I think all they have left are 40's though. Clyde Armory seems to get them pretty regularly too.

Sam
03-14-13, 10:02
I hope you can find some mags for the M2, those things are like unicorn, especially in today's environment.

I'll just keep waiting, someday I'll get lucky and stumble on a Shield.

Pappabear
03-14-13, 11:08
I really like my Shield. Easy to carry, easy to shoot. Great summer gun.

ra2bach
03-14-13, 13:07

dude, deja vu... I mean I had the exact same thoughts when I got mine. I have all three - Full size, Compact, and the Shield. after months of agonizing navel gazing I have come to the following conclusions -

1. the Shield does not improve the silhouette of the C, it's just thinner.
2. it has a better trigger than my C. I installed a DCAEK in the C and it's better but I don't think it's significantly better, just different.
3. the Shield has an "administrative safety" that I apply before I holster and then remove when in the holster.
4. the Shield can be outfitted with an under barrel laser if that's your thing.
5. the C has a rail that can mount a mini weapon light or Crimson Trace laser grips.
6. the C can take +2 adapters on the mags for 14rds and can even take the sleeve that allows it to take full size mags.

they are different guns. the Shield is not invisible but it's thinner. it can go more places but does not carry as many rounds. I have it in a PERSEC Systems IWB with overhooks. it's excellent for that but I'm waiting on their AIWB as this gun seems made for this carry.

My CCW is a SIG229 and I carry a spare mag on the other side. I don't use the Compact or the full size as a primary because I'm not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun that may be reholstered IWB. the Shield overcomes that with the safety...

IMO, the Compact is more in conflict with the full size than the Shield because, concealed, the Compact has almost the exact same footprint as a fullsize gun - either the M&P or the SIG.

my bottom line is I use the Shield as a BUG or alone as my "going to the store" and lo-pro gun when my Primary is too big/heavy for the situation at hand. the Compact, along with 3 full size mags with adapter sleeves, has found a home in my "get-home" bag that goes in the car with me.

Steve S.
03-14-13, 14:39
I would say keep the 9c for certain. It brings some distinct advantages to the table. The big two are the weapon light (though limited in choice) and the fact you can run Fullsize mags as reloads.

I actually really like the 9c's size - more than the Fullsize. I just wish S&W did it like the 45c and put a slightly longer barrel and dust cover so it could run an X300. Truth be told, I look at my Fullsize 9 everyday and want to take it to the bandsaw to chop it to a "9c" grip.

We've spoke briefly, but enough that I could tell you view weapons as tools, so I say this not to ruffle your feathers but as one shooter to another...

The Shield is worlds better than the LC9. As crappy as the trigger is, that's comparing it to M&Ps, Glocks, Walthers, etc. When comparing the Shield to the LC9, KelTec, or Kahrs of similar size - the Shield wins hands down. On the timer, I'm only slightly slower with the Shield over a Glock / M&P.

I've said this before, but that stupid little safety is the ONLY reason S&W was willing to put the trigger characteristics of the Shield in it. If they skipped the safety, I'm convinced S&W would have out an LC9 / PM9 / CM9 / etc style trigger (heavy with long reset).

If I had two, I'd send you one until you could find one, brother. I'll keep an eye out for you.

So I am not the only one that wiched that the shield had the ability to take a light?

As someone who runs WMLs and is a big proponent of them, it doesn't change the fact that a handheld light is a MUST for concealed carry.

So I'm perfectly fine with it not having a rail. Generally I only worry about the grip printing when I carry, but when the Shield is on me - it means I need something completely concealable. I don't know of any weapon lights that wouldn't sacrifice concealment. Also, S&W would have had to make the dust cover wider to accommodate a 1913 rail.

I'm sure there will be a Lightguard for it soon enough. Until then, I'm content. The only difference for me upon engagement would mean putting my handheld in my mouth or shooting strong hand only instead of dropping the handheld and going to the WML after identifying a threat in the dark.

1911-A1
03-14-13, 14:55
What's funny is that the Walther PPS and the Shield are very similar in size, capacity and form factor. The triggers are even similar in the models I handled, however you can find 9mm PPS with relative ease, but 9mm Shields are like hen's teeth.

Are there any major differences between them that I'm not aware of? (aside from the mag releases and safety)

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 15:47
Steve, somehow I missed your comments earlier and you've keyed in on several things I've been thinking about. First is the non permissive environment. I work in an office and generally drop my jacket the moment I walk in the door. Keep in mind that my employer does not have a no-gun policy. However I do not want to draw attention to myself in the office or be the person that causes a review of company policy regarding guns on the premises. No one needs to know and that's impossible to pull off with the 9c in slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. It may not be possible with the Shield either, I just don't know yet.

The other issue living in the South is weather. We have a lot more warm days than cold, so for most of the year, the more easily I can conceal a gun the better.

Finally, I spend a good portion of the day seated. The 9c digs into my hip and buttocks as the day wears on. Would you guys expect the Shield to be more comfortable?

One surprise with the Shield for me is that the trigger seems heavier than I expected. It's been a long while since I pulled a stock MP trigger, so I may just be spoiled by the Apex kit.

This is a great discussion, thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far. Assuming the Shield works out, the 9c will probably fill the role that Steve alluded to as a truck gun in my emergency bag. We'll see...

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 15:51
Ra2bach, if you transition the Shield to AIWB, would you revisit the "administrative" view of the safety? I just haven't warmed up to appendix carry and I'm curious about your thoughts.

ra2bach
03-14-13, 15:57
Steve, somehow I missed your comments earlier and you've keyed in on several things I've been thinking about. First is the non permissive environment. I work in an office and generally drop my jacket the moment I walk in the door. Keep in mind that my employer does not have a no-gun policy. However I do not want to draw attention to myself in the office or be the person that causes a review of company policy regarding guns on the premises. No one needs to know and that's impossible to pull off with the 9c in slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. It may not be possible with the Shield either, I just don't know yet.

The other issue living in the South is weather. We have a lot more warm days than cold, so for most of the year, the more easily I can conceal a gun the better.

Finally, I spend a good portion of the day seated. The 9c digs into my hip and buttocks as the day wears on. Would you guys expect the Shield to be more comfortable?

One surprise with the Shield for me is that the trigger seems heavier than I expected. It's been a long while since I pulled a stock MP trigger, so I may just be spoiled by the Apex kit.

This is a great discussion, thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far. Assuming the Shield works out, the 9c will probably fill the role that Steve alluded to as a truck gun in my emergency bag. We'll see...

if you're looking to try a different holster I have two of Steve's (PERSEC Systems) holsters for the Shield and I like both for different reasons...

one is a "Compact Cut" and carries the gun a little higher in/on the belt. I have it set up OWB. the other is his standard and I use it IWB with the overhooks.

you're welcome to try either or both.

ra2bach
03-14-13, 16:01
What's funny is that the Walther PPS and the Shield are very similar in size, capacity and form factor. The triggers are even similar in the models I handled, however you can find 9mm PPS with relative ease, but 9mm Shields are like hen's teeth.

Are there any major differences between them that I'm not aware of? (aside from the mag releases and safety)

have you looked at the price?..

Sam
03-14-13, 16:24
We've spoke briefly, but enough that I could tell you view weapons as tools, so I say this not to ruffle your feathers but as one shooter to another...

The Shield is worlds better than the LC9. As crappy as the trigger is, that's comparing it to M&Ps, Glocks, Walthers, etc. When comparing the Shield to the LC9, KelTec, or Kahrs of similar size - the Shield wins hands down. On the timer, I'm only slightly slower with the Shield over a Glock / M&P.

Steve: You're not ruffling my feathers at all. I appreciate your input.

You are 200% correct that the Shield is worlds better than the LC9. I didn't elaborate my decision for the LC9. I chose it as a slot filler until I can find a Shield.

The LC9 trigger is very heavy, but manageable. The recoil is fierce. I can only shoot 3 magazines controllably in one sitting. I would have to put it down and shoot something else for awhile before coming back to revisit the LC9. That means, I can draw, present it to a target at 5 yds. and do a two shots or three shots response and keep the hits in a 5 - 6" circle in a 2 second time frame. Do that for 3 magazines and I'm done. My shooting would actually shake after this session. It's no difference from shooting +P .38 spl loads from a titanium J-frame.

On the plus side, the LC9 is reliable and accurate. It's accurate for a gun of its size and sighting system. I can actually shoot a 4" group at 15 yds. I have not one malfunction with it.

It is not my favorite little gun, I prefer the S&W 642 in the pocket for discrete carry. I don't think the LC9 or the Shield are true pocket guns for everybody. Unless you're a big statute person, the squarish shape of the semi auto prints more than the roundish revolver. If I ever find a Shield, my intended carry will be IWB or AWB.

ra2bach
03-14-13, 16:26
Ra2bach, if you transition the Shield to AIWB, would you revisit the "administrative" view of the safety? I just haven't warmed up to appendix carry and I'm curious about your thoughts.

no man. that safety is the ONLY reason that I would carry a striker fire in my pants. on a SIG, I don't have that issue as I place my thumb on the hammer when I reholster.

the safety is not big enough to use like a single action safety, which is why I call it an "administrative" safety. without it, just the thought of putting a striker gun into a holster pointing at my nubblies gives me night sweats.

once the gun is safely in the holster, the trigger is protected and I take the safety off. I don't worry about drawing the gun because I train manipulations with the finger high on the frame but I have seen a glock fire (unloaded thankfully) when one of those jacket cord locks got into the trigger guard and it was pressed into the holster.

it can happen with just a t-shirt too and is the cause of the dreaded "glock leg". as bad as that sounds, "Glock Dick" sounds worse... :fie:

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 16:40
no man. that safety is the ONLY reason that I would carry a striker fire in my pants. on a SIG, I don't have that issue as I place my thumb on the hammer when I reholster.

the safety is not big enough to use like a single action safety, which is why I call it an "administrative" safety. without it, just the thought of putting a striker gun into a holster pointing at my nubblies gives me night sweats.

once the gun is safely in the holster, the trigger is protected and I take the safety off. I don't worry about drawing the gun because I train manipulations with the finger high on the frame but I have seen a glock fire (unloaded thankfully) when one of those jacket cord locks got into the trigger guard and it was pressed into the holster.

it can happen with just a t-shirt too and is the cause of the dreaded "glock leg". as bad as that sounds, "Glock Dick" sounds worse... :fie:

That's what I figured. I never considered disengaging the safety once holstered. Makes good sense now that you explained it.

If you're not using the PERSEC IWB, I might take you up on a test drive. Does PERSEC have a website? I've heard of them around here on M4C, but have never looked into them. Thanks for the offer.

ETA: found them via Google. Will take a closer look this evening. Thanks for the recommendation!

ra2bach
03-14-13, 16:59
That's what I figured. I never considered disengaging the safety once holstered. Makes good sense now that you explained it.

If you're not using the PERSEC IWB, I might take you up on a test drive. Does PERSEC have a website? I've heard of them around here on M4C, but have never looked into them. Thanks for the offer.

ETA: found them via Google. Will take a closer look this evening. Thanks for the recommendation!

PerSec is Steve S. who has been answering some of your questions here - he's a good dude.

the Compact Cut is no longer being made but I like it. it's very small footprint and I have it set up OWB. the standard (or his signature model, I don't know which...) is set up IWB with overhooks and both work really well the way I have them. I have the mag carriers set up differently too.

you're welcome to try both of my holsters and mag carriers as I'm focusing back on an AIWB holster for a different gun that a little birdie told me about :dirol:

you know how to get in touch with me, right?..

BTW: last I looked 44MAG has/had both 7 and 8 round mags in stock. not cheap but I snagged a few...

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 17:21
PerSec is Steve S. who has been answering some of your questions here - he's a good dude.

the Compact Cut is no longer being made but I like it. it's very small footprint and I have it set up OWB. the standard (or his signature model, I don't know which...) is set up IWB with overhooks and both work really well the way I have them. I have the mag carriers set up differently too.

you're welcome to try both of my holsters and mag carriers as I'm focusing back on an AIWB holster for a different gun that a little birdie told me about :dirol:

you know how to get in touch with me, right?..

BTW: last I looked 44MAG has/had both 7 and 8 round mags in stock. not cheap but I snagged a few...

Thanks. I put Steve / PERSEC together from your prior post. I'll shoot you an email on the holsters and sincerely appreciate it.

re: mags, I wish I had this gun a couple weeks ago when Grant got some in. He's down to just the 7 round mags in stock. I'll check out 44mag, but they've been high as hell lately. I may have to wait it out until Grant gets more in, cause I HATE paying panic prices for anything!

Steve S.
03-14-13, 17:48

That is true. Like R2 mentioned... price. But also as someone who was foaming at the mouth for one about 7 years ago - the PPS had a rocky start with some known reliability issues. I'm told they are fixed, and don't doubt it. But it did leave a bad taste in some folks mouths.

Then there's the mag release and not being made in the US that turn off some people. I think the PPS trigger and recoil aren't as nice as the Shield, but I also think the PPS is a bit thinner and hides nicer. The G36 has been around awhile too, but for similar reasons just didnt scratch that itch for people like the Shield did (or even the XD-S series).

I was excited when the Shield came out as I was looking for a compact 9mm.

When I finally got to handle both, I didnt feel there was enough difference to give up capacity. Plus the grip is longer!

Is that measuring flush fit vs flush fit? I could see skipping on the Shield. It can be very niche when compared to the 9c - especially dependent on carry position, body type, weather, clothing, etc.

Steve: You're not ruffling my feathers at all. I appreciate your input.

You are 200% correct that the Shield is worlds better than the LC9. I didn't elaborate my decision for the LC9. I chose it as a slot filler until I can find a Shield.

The LC9 trigger is very heavy, but manageable. The recoil is fierce. I can only shoot 3 magazines controllably in one sitting. I would have to put it down and shoot something else for awhile before coming back to revisit the LC9. That means, I can draw, present it to a target at 5 yds. and do a two shots or three shots response and keep the hits in a 5 - 6" circle in a 2 second time frame. Do that for 3 magazines and I'm done. My shooting would actually shake after this session. It's no difference from shooting +P .38 spl loads from a titanium J-frame.

On the plus side, the LC9 is reliable and accurate. It's accurate for a gun of its size and sighting system. I can actually shoot a 4" group at 15 yds. I have not one malfunction with it.

It is not my favorite little gun, I prefer the S&W 642 in the pocket for discrete carry. I don't think the LC9 or the Shield are true pocket guns for everybody. Unless you're a big statute person, the squarish shape of the semi auto prints more than the roundish revolver. If I ever find a Shield, my intended carry will be IWB or AWB.

Oh yea, I understood you dude. I guess the short translation for my long rant is "the juice is worth the squeeze" in regards to hunting one down.

I know exactly what you mean, and I still don't understand how the similarly sized Rugers / Kahrs / Keltecs / etc recoil so much more than the Shield. Seriously, it boggles my mind everytime I shoot them back to back.

I do the exact same thing with the safety. I do try and train with it on though. Just to get those repetitions of sweeping it off. I can only speak on my Shield and the few I've handled, but it seems like the safety goes off easy but is difficult to reengage. I like to think this is by design - but something tells me it's accidental or not all Shields are like this. I hope they are though since its actually quite nice.

I'm stealing the whole "Glock Leg / Glock Dick" thing. That's awesome.

I'm seriously not trying to make a sale here, but what R2 refers to as the new Compact Cut is simply the new Standard Holster cut for the small frame autos. We use our discretion on which models get the smaller cut, but the next website revision will make note so customers know for sure. To see the more compact cut, it's the Brown Shield holster on my homepage, and compare it to the Glock / M&P holsters pictured. Basically just crops a 1/2" off each side. Hope that makes sense. But any Shield standard / Ready Now holster gets that configuration.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on carrying the Shield IWB or OWB?

Very nice of you, R2.

Sam
03-14-13, 17:55
I know exactly what you mean, and I still don't understand how the similarly sized Rugers / Kahrs / Keltecs / etc recoil so much more than the Shield. Seriously, it boggles my mind everytime I shoot them back to back.

My guess is, without looking up what kind of locking system those guns have, the Shield has a locking breech system and the rest of those guns are blow back operated. They say that blow back guns have sharper recoils than the locking breech type.

mtdawg169
03-14-13, 18:53
Out of curiosity, do you plan on carrying the Shield IWB or OWB?

Very nice of you, R2.

IWB and tucked most of the time.

RogerinTPA
03-14-13, 18:53
I went round and round about getting the shield when it first came out, then fondling other folks gun. If I was an under cover cop or needed to fill a requirement that my 9c couldn't, then I'd still be on the hunt for one. In the end, I opted to stay with my 9c that I've concealed carried for many years, even in FL, because it does everything I need it to do plus the 12+1 capacity, and the ability to use full size M&P mags if desired.

skerky
03-15-13, 00:31
I carry a 9c, bought a Shield for my wife after they came out. It's a great little gun. After carrying it one evening around the house I started thinking about swapping my 9c for another Shield.

Ultimately, I decided to keep carrying the compact for most of the reasons already mentioned (capacity, compatibility with full size, conceals well enough). The other reason is I'm wrong handed so the ambi slide release is a plus.

1911-A1
03-15-13, 00:38
have you looked at the price?..

Lately, they've been comparable. My gf just bought a PPS for ~$550. Most of the Shields I've seen for sale online are around that price as well. I've seen the Shield .40 going for nearly $600.

I'm sure six months ago, there was more separation in the price tags, but that isn't the case right now. (For the most part)

EricTheRed
03-15-13, 06:04
Steve S., I own a Shield and have the same impression of the safety. Easy off, slightly harder to re engage. FWIW I carry it IWB with the safety off.

Briman1001
03-15-13, 07:43
I appreciate all the back and forth on the shield, M&P C, and LC9. I have been trying to choose between these and was leaning toward the shield based on the size(for carrying in a pants pocket, low print carry ability, and clothing I typically wear. I have fondled the LC9 in a LGS and a friend has a shield so I can say I definitely prefer the feel of the shield. I live in South FL so shorts and a t-shirt/polo is the deal about 75% of the time when not in uniform. Now to find one! I have been carrying Sig P232 and wanted to move up in caliber for both ammo type consolidation and just plain stopping power. Thanks for the information! My post count is low, but I read a lot.

BioLayne
03-15-13, 10:28

I have a shield. I concealed in slacks and a dress shirt no problem using a remora holster. I also have done 5 hour drives with it in the 4 o clock position in a kydex holster. It is DEFINITELY more comfortable.

Beat Trash
03-15-13, 11:06
I've had a 9c that I bought a couple of months after they were introduced. I managed to buy a Shield 4 days after they were announced last year, so I'v got just shy of a year with my Shield.

As a side note, I owned a Walther PPS when I bought a Shield. Great gun, but I sold the PPS and kept the Shield. They are very close in size and performance.

I'm a uniformed LEO. I carry an issued M&P9 as a duty gun. The 9c would be the logical BUG. But it's just thick enough and heavy enough when carrying on a vest holster to be noticed, and to be bothersome about the last 9th or 10th hour of a shift.

When I cary my Shield as a BUG, well sometimes I find myself giving myself a quick pat down to make sure the thing is still there, and not sitting in my locker. I carry a spare magazine for it in a side cargo pocket. Not having the same magazine capability isn't that big of an issue. My S&W 642 couldn't use my full size M&P magazines...

I use the Shield safety as a storage safety. Many on the internet worry about it. For me, it's been a non-issue.

I'm 5'11" with larger hands. Off duty, I carry my 9c or my Glock 19. With a proper belt/holster, I don't need to go smaller. I do like the capacity of the 9c vs. the Shield. I still carry one spare magazine even though it's higher capacity. Often assholes travel with friends...

Last December, I went to Sanibel Florida for a week and got re-married. Spent the entire time in docker type shorts. Nice place, low threat, could have gotten by w/o a firearm, I suppose...

My Shield worked as a pocket gun in that manner of dress. I also have a S&W 642 and a Kahr PM9. Both are better to carry as pocket guns. But neither one can be shot to the same level as I can shoot my Shield. Not a fan of carrying either one as a primary gun. I feel ok about doing so with my Shield.

Shooting my Shield for a bit and I tend to forget I am shooting a sub-compact gun and start to compare it to my full size gun. TO me, the Shield and the 9c shoot about the same.

My new wife is 5'4" with tiny hands. She really likes the feel of the Shield. The 9c works for her with the small grips. But it's too chunky for her to carry. She really likes the Shield. I have to hide it until I can find a second one.

If you have to chose between the 9c and the Shield, it really would depend on your body size, and the intended usage of the gun.

If you can find one at a decent price, I wouldn't argue against owning both.

When I retire soon, I could probably live happy with just a Shield and a Glock 19 or PPQ sized gun. IF I ever had to get by with just two handguns.

But we each have different needs for a handgun. Something often forgotten on internet discussions.

TroyTK
03-15-13, 12:58
I am a Glock fan and I have a Glock 26 that I like a great deal. I have some nice CCW holsters for it and I do carry it on occasion.

The slightly thinner profile of the Shield makes it a bit easier to carry and conceal for me, but probably not enough of a difference to switch away from the Glock. Combine the slightly thinner profile with the weight savings though, and I find myself always carrying the Shield (or a Kahr PM9 before that).

The added weight is what I notice the most. I hate having a tight belt, which is what is needed for me to carry the G26 without it sagging. I can have the belt a bit looser with the lighter gun, which makes carrying more comfortable for me.

OldState
03-15-13, 13:56
Is that measuring flush fit vs flush fit? I could see skipping on the Shield. It can be very niche when compared to the 9c - especially dependent on carry position, body type, weather, clothing, etc.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/myphotos27/DSC01153.jpg?t=1334358946

DWood
03-15-13, 16:34

Crow Hunter
03-15-13, 18:53
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/myphotos27/DSC01153.jpg?t=1334358946

Wow.

That's all? I guess for some reason I thought it was both shorter AND thinner than that.

I was mildly interested in getting a Shield, but being that I have never seen one in real life, I hadn't actually got to see any relative size comparisons.

Considering my brother's M&P 9c is to me, noticeably larger than my G26 (height wise) to the point of not going to work for me, I think that pretty much scratches the Shield off my "to do" list.

Thanks for posting that.

ETA: I carried the G26 for a week in late June in New Orleans with 107 Degree temps every single day during the day sight seeing while my wife was at a convention alone with a spare magazine, a light, a knife and my camera in cargo shorts and a tee shirt. So it would have to be significantly smaller that the G26 for me to be very interested in it.

DWood
03-15-13, 19:30

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-15-13, 19:36
After handling a relatives Shield, I don't think I would pick one over a 9c. The slim feature just isn't important enough to me to give up 4-5 rounds, especially considering the size of my mitts. My hands felt like they were swallowing the Shield whole.

packinaglock
03-15-13, 20:25
Wow.

That's all? I guess for some reason I thought it was both shorter AND thinner than that.

I was mildly interested in getting a Shield, but being that I have never seen one in real life, I hadn't actually got to see any relative size comparisons.

Considering my brother's M&P 9c is to me, noticeably larger than my G26 (height wise) to the point of not going to work for me, I think that pretty much scratches the Shield off my "to do" list.

Thanks for posting that.

ETA: I carried the G26 for a week in late June in New Orleans with 107 Degree temps every single day during the day sight seeing while my wife was at a convention alone with a spare magazine, a light, a knife and my camera in cargo shorts and a tee shirt. So it would have to be significantly smaller that the G26 for me to be very interested in it.

Yep, I kind of did the same thing a while back at a gun show, I saw a shield next to a 9c (that I have) and didn't see enough of a difference.

OldState
03-15-13, 22:58
Here is a great video comparing the two
http://youtu.be/hERsGIcxQMY

Famine
03-16-13, 02:04
After carrying my buddy's Shield for a while and listening to his input on the gun vs the 9C, I think of them this way.

The 9C is an easier to conceal version of a full sized gun, the Shield is a more effective version of a back-up/pocket carry/deep concealment gun.

ShipWreck
03-16-13, 10:02
After handling a relatives Shield, I don't think I would pick one over a 9c. The slim feature just isn't important enough to me to give up 4-5 rounds, especially considering the size of my mitts. My hands felt like they were swallowing the Shield whole.

Honesty - I've never even liked M&Ps. And, the guy at the rental counter talked me into trying one. I wasn't that impressed holding it - but sure was after I shot it.

I had rented a Kahr P9, to see if I liked it before buying it. I liked th Shield 100% more after trying it.

Shoot one before you judge it. It really is cool.

ra2bach
03-16-13, 12:28
Yep, I kind of did the same thing a while back at a gun show, I saw a shield next to a 9c (that I have) and didn't see enough of a difference.

funny... I put a 9C next to a FS and don't see enough of a difference..

packinaglock
03-16-13, 12:33
funny... I put a 9C next to a FS and don't see enough of a difference..

I'll have to try that, I've never tried carrying my FS even though It fits my hand much better.

Hogsgunwild
03-17-13, 10:12
I was carrying my PPQ with the Shield used as my fallback whenever better concealment was required.

Since I started carrying my P99 compact (similar dimensions to my M&P 9MM compact) a couple of months ago, I have only used the Shield a time or two (and I think that was in a belly band, which, the P99C works well in, too).

Since I carry one or two 15 round reloads, I have not been carrying my PPQ much either. The P99C shoots nearly as well as the PPQ. Great accuracy and no backaches.

OldState
03-17-13, 12:23
The gun that SW needs to make is a compact frame with 4" slide like their 45 compact. Get rid of the mid sized 45 to make room if they must; though popular, I have never understood the purpose of that pistol :eek:

Steve S.
03-17-13, 12:58
The gun that SW needs to make is a compact frame with 4" slide like their 45 compact. Get rid of the mid sized 45 to make room if they must; though popular, I have never understood the purpose of that pistol :eek:

^^^^^^!!!

But extend the rail to take a real weapon light, like the 45c.

ra2bach
03-17-13, 13:49
I'll have to try that, I've never tried carrying my FS even though It fits my hand much better.

actually, what I was getting at was, since the Compact can take full size mags (with an adapter sleeve), I don't see a need for the full size in any purpose other than in a duty holster.

the Shield with the 8 rd mag has about the same silhouette as the C but it's a matter of inches and ounces (and sometimes fractions thereof) how well a gun carries/conceals. I can use a smaller belt with with a lighter gun and a lighter cover garment with a thinner gun.

edit: I want to add - I also use the Mecgar +2 adapters on my Compact mags instead of the the finger rest mag plate. it's about the same size as the FR gives a better grip. I was the one who said my Compact has found a home in my "get home" bag and it fits nicely in a pocket designed to fit a calculator...

packinaglock
03-22-13, 18:47
actually, what I was getting at was, since the Compact can take full size mags (with an adapter sleeve), I don't see a need for the full size in any purpose other than in a duty holster.

the Shield with the 8 rd mag has about the same silhouette as the C but it's a matter of inches and ounces (and sometimes fractions thereof) how well a gun carries/conceals. I can use a smaller belt with with a lighter gun and a lighter cover garment with a thinner gun.

edit: I want to add - I also use the Mecgar +2 adapters on my Compact mags instead of the the finger rest mag plate. it's about the same size as the FR gives a better grip. I was the one who said my Compact has found a home in my "get home" bag and it fits nicely in a pocket designed to fit a calculator...
I really need to try those, I have big hands and the compacts don't quite fit like my G19/G23.