PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Mac today, and never going back to Windows.

Belmont31R
03-13-13, 23:44
Well even though I've had it less than a day so far Ill never go back to using a Windows PC again if I can help it. OSX is so much easier to use and user friendly. The design is much more eye appealing, and many tasks are so simple in comparison. I started using Windows when it was at 3.1 (?) or maybe even earlier than that. For sure pre Win95. I just bought a Samsung Series 9 last Sep, and put Win 8 on it which I think was a big step up for MS, and in the right direction but my wife is using that now.

Overall I feel like I've wasted a lot of time with Windows over the years, and while it has been good to me OSX is excellent. Mixed with an iPhone I love it. My printer is on my home wifi network, and while on a Windows PC you have to go hunting through the internet for drivers I just clicked on the printer under Finder and it automatically downloaded the correct drivers. Awesome. I also run a NAS (WD MyBookLive), and TimeMachine picked that up and is doing complete backups in the background. I also have a 1TB WD My Passport, and it formatted that does backups when I plug it in so I have double backups.

I got the top end model Retina MBP they sell in stores. 2.7GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD. After purchasing iStat I realize I probably could have gotten away with 8GB of RAM. I have several active apps right now, and using less than 2GB of RAM. On the Samsung I gave my wife just running Chrome and maybe a couple other things the RAM usage would be 7-8GB. I ended up installing Corsair 2x8GB RAM sticks in that PC because it only came with 2x4GB and was getting maxed out just web surfing and listening to music. :rolleyes: At at least I know Ill have more in the Mac than Ill ever likely need.

And no I am not a MS hater all the sudden. Our PS3 was starting to act up so my MIL sent us the money to get us a new console for my kids birthday present, and we got an Xbox 360 Star Wars edition. I had to drive 5hrs RT to get it. I use Office 365, and since I get 5 downloads I put Office 2011 (Mac) on this one which with 365 I will get all the latest versions as they are updated down the road as part of the subscription. We are also paying for Xbox Music so MS still gets our money in a variety of ways....:cool:

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, and can't believe I didn't do this sooner after just a day of use.

Any other converts out there?

Koshinn
03-14-13, 00:01
On the Samsung I gave my wife just running Chrome and maybe a couple other things the RAM usage would be 7-8GB. I ended up installing Corsair 2x8GB RAM sticks in that PC because it only came with 2x4GB and was getting maxed out just web surfing and listening to music. :rolleyes:

Something's wrong with your wife's computer.

I'm running Chrome with 10 tabs including Facebook, Gmail, and watching an HD Netflix show. I have uTorrent running, Photoshop CS6 running, and I'm rendering a video with Camtasia Studio 8 all at the same time. I have Steam, Origin, Dropbox, Splashtop, Microsoft Security Essentials, and a bunch of other small programs open in the background that aren't doing much but listening to the Internet.

I'm only using 5.31 GB of RAM right now. This is a PC, not a Mac. It might be a virus, but is probably bloatware that came with your wife's computer. In my opinion, that's the biggest problem with Windows and it's not Windows, it's the companies that sell Windows computers. They include a whole bucketload of crap software that is useless and just takes up memory.

Hmac
03-14-13, 00:12
I started out with Macs, first one in 1984. I switched over to Windows when video games got big, built several increasingly high end PCs, went back to Macs when they went Intel and I could dual boot. Now, the only thing I boot up Windows 7 on the Mac for is the occasional game of CoD. I still have to use Windows at work, but doing that less and less now that I can access all our EHR software via Citrix app on my iPad Mini. Yeah. The Mac OS is rock stable.

I have an older MBP that I didn't upgrade after my first iPad. Mostly I use a big Mac Pro with dual 30-inch monitors. I do a lot of photography and a lot of video editing.

http://McCollister.info/macdesk.jpg

chadbag
03-14-13, 00:16
Congrats Belmont!

If you have any questions, shoot them my way. Been using OS X since before there was OS X*

I actually installed Win7 on my Mac pro over the holidays on a secondary SSD so I could play some games... Have not booted it since the holidays but will when I have some time (which never happens). So you can run Windows as necessary, if there is a specific piece of software you need. I run VMWare fusion and have Win XP and Win 7 VMs there for tax software (my business tax software, Turbo Tax, does not exist on OS X though the personal tax version of Turbo tax does and works well on OS X) mostly. Though I have an RC plane simulator that runs pretty well under VM Ware as well.

And you can never have too much RAM so be glad you got the 16GB.

8GB works well for lots of things (my family Mac mini has 8GB now and usually has 3 people logged into it and watching media, email, etc just fine but they are not power users) but again, you can never have too much RAM. Especially if you run VM Ware Fusion or similar since you want to give that as much RAM as you can spare as well.

My current Mac is a 2008 model Mac Pro (tower). I had to replace the graphics card last summer so that is a newer Radeon model, and in December I replaced the internal drives with SSD and now it is much faster response. It has 16GB RAM and works fine though once in a while I've wished for more. I am interested to see what the new Mac Pro this year will be like. Supposedly Tim Cook said that a new Mac Pro or Mac Pro replacement would come out in 2013. I could do with an upgrade :). I've gotten 5 good years from this machine and will continue to use it, even once replaced, for some dev work. Just need to get a contract that will pay for the new machine... (I also have a late 2008 Macbook portable. I work from home so don't use it that much as a portable but it gets used around the house, for my son's school, and I use it to test things on -- depending on the Mac Pro replacement, I may opt for a Macbook Pro Retina instead and just max it out with extra screens and use the same computer as a desktop and mobile).

* I was an OpenStep 4.2 user at a couple of my jobs, which was the NeXT OS that Apple used as the basis for OS X. I also had all the Rhapsody releases ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_(operating_system) ) and used them and had the OS X 10.0 developer previews. Due to some work requirements, I also had a Windows 2000 workstation I was using a lot right around the Rhapsody and 10l0 Developer Preview times, but it was not much fun. Once certain tools came out on OS X I ditched the W2K machine.

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 00:22
Something's wrong with your wife's computer.

I'm running Chrome with 10 tabs including Facebook, Gmail, and watching an HD Netflix show. I have uTorrent running, Photoshop CS6 running, and I'm rendering a video with Camtasia Studio 8 all at the same time. I have Steam, Origin, Dropbox, Splashtop, Microsoft Security Essentials, and a bunch of other small programs open in the background that aren't doing much but listening to the Internet.

I'm only using 5.31 GB of RAM right now. This is a PC, not a Mac. It might be a virus, but is probably bloatware that came with your wife's computer. In my opinion, that's the biggest problem with Windows and it's not Windows, it's the companies that sell Windows computers. They include a whole bucketload of crap software that is useless and just takes up memory.

I got rid of that stuff minus the Samsung Settings program which makes the function keys work, and thats barely using anything. I am well aware of what the apps are that are running through Task Manager. The problem is the Start Menu (Metro) apps that don't get booted off the RAM in a timely fashion. Some of them are using 300-500MB of RAM each.

Bloatware is a big problem. It took me over a month to finally find what was causing browser display issues because the Samsung crap program was running some kind of browser cache shit and corrupting it so half the time websites wouldn't load correctly and you'd have to hit F5 all the time to refresh it. There was a huge Google chats thing I was in on for it, and tons of people with Samsung PC's were having the same problem. That program was causing not only the cache corruption but RAM usage was as high as 14GB. If you restart it, and only run Chrome it's about 4.3 almost every time. It gets up to 7-8GB when you start using the Start Menu apps.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 00:22
I think OS matters less and less now. All that really matters is if it can run the apps you want. If both OSs can run the applications you need to use, then the most important thing is the hardware you want.

In my opinion, browser choice matters more than OS choice at this point for the individual user.

chadbag
03-14-13, 00:23
I have an older MBP that I didn't upgrade after my first iPad. Mostly I use a big Mac Pro with dual 30-inch monitors. I do a lot of photography and a lot of video editing.

http://McCollister.info/macdesk.jpg

Yeah, that is the way to rock. I won't take a picture of it, but my Mac Pro rocks dual Apple 30" screens, an Apple 24" screen, and an old non 16:9 (1600x1200) Viewsonic 20" LCD (which was my first ever LCD screen I got like 10 years ago or so -- still works and I have it sitting on top of the Mac Pro, above the 24" screen, and have mail windows, chat, and a few other tools parked on it). Doing mostly software development, so the left 30" screen has mostly web browsers with documentation, documentation PDF files, reference code, etc., the middle (main in front of me) 30" has the Xcode development environment, and the right hand 24" has the Xcode organizer, and a mail window and chat main window, while the 20" above has another chat window, and another mail window open at all times on it, so I can check email even when I have a specific email open that I need open on the 24". Since I use "Spaces", when not programming, I have browser windows [for things like M4C, and non programming browser needs] on the main 30", as terminal shell windows, and other things on the main screen.

After working like this for several years, I don't know how I ever got buy on one or two screens... ;)

-

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 00:33
Congrats Belmont!

If you have any questions, shoot them my way. Been using OS X since before there was OS X*

SSD's are awesome. I started using them last year, and won't use anything else besides for USB drives or in a NAS.

Apple is going to have to wait for the Ivy Bridge Xeon chips for the Mac Pro. Xeon is a generation behind the i chips in architecture being Sandy Bridge right now, and Haswell is coming later this year for the i chips and Xeon will go to Ivy Bridge.

Agree about the RAM. A lot of the newer software out there is really RAM intensive so if I use this for 4-5 years it's just future proofing myself.

Biggest thing I'm going to have to learn is the keyboard shortcuts. Need to pick up a cheat sheet. Fry's sells laminated cheat sheets for all kinds of things, and I can use that until it becomes ingrained into my memory.

Hmac
03-14-13, 00:34
After working like this for several years, I don't know how I ever got buy on one or two screens... ;)

-

I had an SE30 at one time. 9 inch screen. It was a simpler time.

http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/profiles/profilepics/68k/se30a.jpg

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 00:34
I think OS matters less and less now. All that really matters is if it can run the apps you want. If both OSs can run the applications you need to use, then the most important thing is the hardware you want.

In my opinion, browser choice matters more than OS choice at this point for the individual user.

I have been using Chrome for years. Before that Firefox until it became buggy and slow. Narry a single glitch with Chrome, and its always been very fast for me.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 00:38
I have been using Chrome for years. Before that Firefox until it became buggy and slow. Narry a single glitch with Chrome, and its always been very fast for me.

Same here, went from Netscape to IE to Firefox to now Chrome. I find myself staring at Chrome far more than my desktop. I actually almost never see my desktop, always have full-screen windows open on my dual monitors.

chadbag
03-14-13, 00:42
Biggest thing I'm going to have to learn is the keyboard shortcuts. Need to pick up a cheat sheet. Fry's sells laminated cheat sheets for all kinds of things, and I can use that until it becomes ingrained into my memory.

I am not intimately familiar with the Windows key shortcuts, but my limited experience has shown that a lot of the more commonly used ones are the same, except with the "Command" key on the Mac instead of the "Control" key on Windows. (Mainly because the original Mac back in the 80s set the standard and Windows adopted them but used Control since it had no Command key). Of course, application specific ones may be wildly different. But you may find a lot of the more common ones you are used to will work, but with the  command key instead.

=

chadbag
03-14-13, 00:47

I use Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. I mostly use Safari as I like the minimalist UI, and it restarts much faster if you choose to restart all your formerly open tabs. But I have several things I do in Chrome, and I do my son's school in Firefox Back when we started his online school, the school site had issues with anything but Firefox. Probably solved now, but have kept it up anyway.

I find some sites work better in one or the other. Funnily, for a long time, I had problems with YouTube in Chrome. It would display the page, and then go blank (the movie would still play as you could hear it). Other pages on other sites would do the same thing. Have not had the issue in a few months. Was strange. Chrome (at least on OS X) has its own embedded Flash player, while Firefox and Safari use the plugin one installed by Adobe. This sometimes comes in handy if you have Flash issues (try it in another browser).

--

VooDoo6Actual
03-14-13, 00:58
Well even though I've had it less than a day so far Ill never go back to using a Windows PC again if I can help it. OSX is so much easier to use and user friendly. The design is much more eye appealing, and many tasks are so simple in comparison. I started using Windows when it was at 3.1 (?) or maybe even earlier than that. For sure pre Win95. I just bought a Samsung Series 9 last Sep, and put Win 8 on it which I think was a big step up for MS, and in the right direction but my wife is using that now.

Overall I feel like I've wasted a lot of time with Windows over the years, and while it has been good to me OSX is excellent. Mixed with an iPhone I love it. My printer is on my home wifi network, and while on a Windows PC you have to go hunting through the internet for drivers I just clicked on the printer under Finder and it automatically downloaded the correct drivers. Awesome. I also run a NAS (WD MyBookLive), and TimeMachine picked that up and is doing complete backups in the background. I also have a 1TB WD My Passport, and it formatted that does backups when I plug it in so I have double backups.

I got the top end model Retina MBP they sell in stores. 2.7GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD. After purchasing iStat I realize I probably could have gotten away with 8GB of RAM. I have several active apps right now, and using less than 2GB of RAM. On the Samsung I gave my wife just running Chrome and maybe a couple other things the RAM usage would be 7-8GB. I ended up installing Corsair 2x8GB RAM sticks in that PC because it only came with 2x4GB and was getting maxed out just web surfing and listening to music. :rolleyes: At at least I know Ill have more in the Mac than Ill ever likely need.

And no I am not a MS hater all the sudden. Our PS3 was starting to act up so my MIL sent us the money to get us a new console for my kids birthday present, and we got an Xbox 360 Star Wars edition. I had to drive 5hrs RT to get it. I use Office 365, and since I get 5 downloads I put Office 2011 (Mac) on this one which with 365 I will get all the latest versions as they are updated down the road as part of the subscription. We are also paying for Xbox Music so MS still gets our money in a variety of ways....:cool:

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, and can't believe I didn't do this sooner after just a day of use.

Glad to hear.
I run both formats & prefer MAC.

More intuitive & way less hassles w/ viruses & data hacks.
Welcome to the tribe.

enjoy !

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 00:59
I use Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. I mostly use Safari as I like the minimalist UI, and it restarts much faster if you choose to restart all your formerly open tabs. But I have several things I do in Chrome, and I do my son's school in Firefox Back when we started his online school, the school site had issues with anything but Firefox. Probably solved now, but have kept it up anyway.

I find some sites work better in one or the other. Funnily, for a long time, I had problems with YouTube in Chrome. It would display the page, and then go blank (the movie would still play as you could hear it). Other pages on other sites would do the same thing. Have not had the issue in a few months. Was strange. Chrome (at least on OS X) has its own embedded Flash player, while Firefox and Safari use the plugin one installed by Adobe. This sometimes comes in handy if you have Flash issues (try it in another browser).

--

Youtube has, IMO, been getting worse and worse. On all 3 computers I've had in the last 6 months sometimes videos take forever to load, and then the next will load a 5 minute 1080P video in under a minute. Sometimes it will just get stuck on a certain spot, and I have to refresh the page then it loads fine.

Since we have so much stuff online in our house now I bumped up our cable internet to 30/5MBPS and it's very stable. Even during the day with high loads on the system the most it will drop down to is 20-22 DL and UL is always 5.

And don't even get me started on their apps for things like smart TV's and consoles. The WORST POS app's in the world. I would actually use them more often but every platform I've tried them on they have the same crappy UI and performance. It's actually easier using the built in browser on our TV and just going to the website than using the app. We use Netflix and HBO GO a lot and I can't even remember the last time I had more than just a second glitch with HD streams. Youtube? Their own app stutters and throws up all over itself at 480 or 720 and doesn't play 1080 that I can tell.

Honu
03-14-13, 01:14
Congrats :)

Yup mac head
Used pcs a lot also in the past also since I am old :) hahhahaahh

My box mac pro 5,1 24 gigs areca raid setup about 20+TB of storage
SSD for cache/scratch
SSD boot
SSD working files
Have 4 mac pros for our post production company all pretty decked out :)
Dual NEC monitors blah blah blah
Pretty good with most things OS X and top in the industry in color :)

Honu
03-14-13, 01:19
And don't even get me started on their apps for things like smart TV's and consoles. The WORST POS app's in the world. I would actually use them more often but every platform I've tried them on they have the same crappy UI and performance. It's actually easier using the built in browser on our TV and just going to the website than using the app. We use Netflix and HBO GO a lot and I can't even remember the last time I had more than just a second glitch with HD streams. Youtube? Their own app stutters and throws up all over itself at 480 or 720 and doesn't play 1080 that I can tell.

So burnt out on bad interface things not working correct etc..
We have cable but I setup a dedicate HTPC running sickbeard and sabnzbd and use plex for interface a bit of tweaking to get it going but oh so worth it so far :)

chadbag
03-14-13, 01:21
I had an SE30 at one time. 9 inch screen. It was a simpler time.

http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com/profiles/profilepics/68k/se30a.jpg

Yeah, those were cool at the time. My first Mac was a Mac Plus. Upgraded from an Atari ST. Upgraded the Mac Plus to a Mac LC (which I still have in a box somewhere, it had a cool game I liked to play -- kind of like a first person tank game). (And then LC 475, LC 475 with PPC 601 upgrade, Mac 7200, Mac PPC clone, Mac 9600, original iMac, iBook, home built from eBay spare motherboard G4 Mac, PowerMac G5 and PowerBook G4, mac mini core duo (first gen intel), Mac Pro and Macbook Pro (2007 models -- Mac Pro traded for 2008 model through Applecare when it had an issue 6 months in), Macbook 2008, and a few more Mac minis. Gosh, thats a lot of coin in 24 years.

I wanted an original Mac 128k machine in 1984 (being a freshman in college that fall at one of the Apple consortium universities) but could not afford one.

Sorry for the nostalgia. It is late and my brain is kind of wandering now.

--

chadbag
03-14-13, 01:28
I still have to use Windows at work, but doing that less and less now that I can access all our EHR software via Citrix app on my iPad Mini. Yeah.

That is cool (the iPad bit). Our pediatrician is a big Mac guy, but has a Windows notebook to access their office software. He said another guy is doing it like you are on his iPad (this was a year ago) but that they had some issues. Maybe it was the relatively slow link to their main office (his office is in a satellite location) where the apps actually reside or something.

Next time I am there I'll have to follow up with him.

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 01:29
So burnt out on bad interface things not working correct etc..
We have cable but I setup a dedicate HTPC running sickbeard and sabnzbd and use plex for interface a bit of tweaking to get it going but oh so worth it so far :)

NHL Gamecenter was another one that is unusable. I haven't tried it on the Xbox, and theres no app for our Samsung TV but on the PS3 the frame rate was so low when someone would pass the puck the puck would disappear because it just was such a crappy FPS. I don't even know why they put that garbage out there because its flat out unwatchable.

I would like to see ala carte cable TV or streaming, and we're kinda getting there but if people are going to push for it these apps need to work, and have as good of a picture as cable with the same reliability. I am so ready to ditch paying for hundreds of channels when I watch 5-10 regularly, and most of those are extras I pay for above the base cost. So stupid.

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 01:34
That is cool (the iPad bit). Our pediatrician is a big Mac guy, but has a Windows notebook to access their office software. He said another guy is doing it like you are on his iPad (this was a year ago) but that they had some issues. Maybe it was the relatively slow link to their main office (his office is in a satellite location) where the apps actually reside or something.

My wife's old job was using Citrix, and I don't know if it depends on the company's connection but damn that system was slow. They used it for schedules as well as clocking in when she was doing home health nursing. Numerous times a week she had to send in written time stamps because the system was so bogged down at the same time every morning with everyone trying to clock in at the same time and managers pushing out schedules.

Honu
03-14-13, 01:36
Yup problem with to many channels for sure and %99 junk !

Check out sickbeard/sab setup
Put the shows in you want and thats it :)
Everything is found and waits for you to watch hope this is the way things are going plex is a great interface
Imagine on demand on steroids with no commercials and shows from anywhere in the world :)

NHL Gamecenter was another one that is unusable. I haven't tried it on the Xbox, and theres no app for our Samsung TV but on the PS3 the frame rate was so low when someone would pass the puck the puck would disappear because it just was such a crappy FPS. I don't even know why they put that garbage out there because its flat out unwatchable.

I would like to see ala carte cable TV or streaming, and we're kinda getting there but if people are going to push for it these apps need to work, and have as good of a picture as cable with the same reliability. I am so ready to ditch paying for hundreds of channels when I watch 5-10 regularly, and most of those are extras I pay for above the base cost. So stupid.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 01:44
way less hassles w/ viruses & data hacks.

From a cybersecurity standpoint... that's misleading and not entirely true.

The reason most attacks are on Windows is because it's a much more popular operating system and it's by far the standard for the enterprise environment. As OS X gets more popular, more malware is being created and more attacks are occurring. The problem is that Apple is horrible at responding to vulnerabilities and fixing them. They'd rather sweep them under the rug to perpetuate the myth that Macs never get viruses. Microsoft is aggressive at patching vulnerabilities, it's gotten to the point that most attacks are via 3rd party application like Adobe Reader, Firefox, or Microsoft Word/Office. Unfortunately, OS X isn't quite as secure as Windows because frankly of the lack of attention that hackers are paying to it. But trust me, there are OS X vulnerabilities and they take forever to get patched. And if you don't know what you're doing in OS X and decide to dig into the terminal a little, you can really screw things up and/or leave things wide open to attack.

Another sort of unrelated issue is that people do buy into the hype that Macs are immune to viruses and don't see the need for anti-virus nor firewalls. That just makes it too easy. ;)

So basically, yes there are less, but they tend to be far more successful per attempt than Windows hacks.

I'm not a Mac hater, just a realist that works and plays in the cybersecurity field. I own a Macbook (13" from 2010), Macbook Pro from like 2006, had an Apple II, and my highschool used Macs of all types (iMac, G3, G4, Pro, etc). In college I used some as well. I even have OS X 10.7 running on a VM on my PC. I also use various Linux distros, Win 7 (primary OS for personal use), Win Vista, Win XP, and Android (on the phone). I sometimes use an iPad at work when the need arises too.

a0cake
03-14-13, 01:56
Me too man. I just bought a Macbook Pro with Retina display last week after using PC's and Windows my entire life. It was literally my first time touching a Mac or OS X. To say that I'm impressed and wasted a whole lot of time would be a massive understatement.

Honu
03-14-13, 02:03
Apple is horrible to respond :) hahahaah funniest thing I heard yet !
They are very quick to fix things :)
Who as a beginner digs into terminal ? And if you do good thing is OS X is a snap and very quick to fix !

Funny truly spoken as the typical mac hater windows fan boy ! Even though you say you are not :)

Nothing is immune !

From a cybersecurity standpoint... that's misleading and not entirely true.

The reason most attacks are on Windows is because it's a much more popular operating system and it's by far the standard for the enterprise environment. As OS X gets more popular, more malware is being created and more attacks are occurring. The problem is that Apple is horrible at responding to vulnerabilities and fixing them. They'd rather sweep them under the rug to perpetuate the myth that Macs never get viruses. Microsoft is aggressive at patching vulnerabilities, it's gotten to the point that most attacks are via 3rd party application like Adobe Reader, Firefox, or Microsoft Word/Office. Unfortunately, OS X isn't quite as secure as Windows because frankly of the lack of attention that hackers are paying to it. But trust me, there are OS X vulnerabilities and they take forever to get patched. And if you don't know what you're doing in OS X and decide to dig into the terminal a little, you can really screw things up and/or leave things wide open to attack.

Another sort of unrelated issue is that people do buy into the hype that Macs are immune to viruses and don't see the need for anti-virus nor firewalls. That just makes it too easy. ;)

I'm not a Mac hater, just a realist that works and plays in the cybersecurity field. I own a Macbook (13" from 2010), Macbook Pro from like 2006, had an Apple II, and my highschool used Macs of all types (iMac, G3, G4, Pro, etc). In college I used some as well. I even have OS X 10.7 running on a VM on my PC. I also use various Linux distros, Win 7 (primary OS for personal use), Win Vista, Win XP, and Android (on the phone). I also use an iPad at work from time to time.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 02:51
Apple is horrible to respond :) hahahaah funniest thing I heard yet !
They are very quick to fix things :)
Who as a beginner digs into terminal ? And if you do good thing is OS X is a snap and very quick to fix !

Funny truly spoken as the typical mac hater windows fan boy ! Even though you say you are not :)

Nothing is immune !

Believe what you want, Honu. I'm laying out facts, not biases. You're just interpreting them as bias because they're not in favor of your purchase. Here's the best example:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/04/flashback-trojan-reportedly-controls-half-a-million-macs-and-counting/

Took Apple ~2 months to fix a Java vulnerability that led to 6-700,000 Macs becoming infected with a botnet. In comparison, the majority of Microsoft exploits are patched before widespread infection. The problem is people ignore Windows Update and get owned, but that's user error.

Apple has great customer service and support regarding hardware and users not knowing what they're doing, but on the security side they're not the best to put it lightly. I'm sure Apple will get better at security in the coming years, but right now they're behind the curve.

Here's another facepalm article:
http://lifehacker.com/5681710/how-to-break-into-a-mac-and-prevent-it-from-happening-to-you
Read the comments too.

Honu
03-14-13, 03:16
Yeah the java thing was bad for some ?

Still one thing that hit them still small %
they have a very good record of patching stuff

You sound like a anti gun guy talking about assault rifles though ?
Facts are not on your side

Again nothing is perfect but I think most know the truth about windows virus/trojans over OS X virus/trojan issues :)

Good for a laugh though :)

Believe what you want, Honu. I'm laying out facts, not biases. You're just interpreting them as bias because they're not in favor of your purchase. Here's the best example:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/04/flashback-trojan-reportedly-controls-half-a-million-macs-and-counting/

Took Apple ~2 months to fix a Java vulnerability that led to 6-700,000 Macs becoming infected with a botnet. In comparison, the majority of Microsoft exploits are patched before widespread infection. The problem is people ignore Windows Update and get owned, but that's user error.

Apple has great customer service and support regarding hardware and users not knowing what they're doing, but on the security side they're not the best to put it lightly. I'm sure Apple will get better at security in the coming years, but right now they're behind the curve.

Koshinn
03-14-13, 03:23
Yeah the java thing was bad for some ?

Still one thing that has ever hit them still small %
really they have a very good record of patching stuff

You sound like a anti gun guy talking about assault rifles though ?
Facts are not on your side

Again nothing is perfect but I think most know the truth about windows virus/trojans over OS X virus/trojan issues :)

Good for a laugh though :)

Now I know what F2S feels like when he tries to advocate for one thing over another, but isn't allowed to say why in public. :suicide2:

Do what you want, man. Run an antivirus program that updates daily and you should be fine for the most part. But don't put very sensitive stuff on Macs without encryption; don't trust security through minority.

For daily regular use (i.e. web browsing, watching movies, managing photos and music libraries, writing documents and producing slide shows, etc.) I even advocate Macs and I love the new MBP line with the Retina display. But for serious business (minus media/design companies), military/contractor, and even gaming use for different reasons, I do not advocate a Mac.

SMETNA
03-14-13, 04:28
http://youtu.be/JixbzFjv_cU

Just kidding. I love my MBP and iPhone

Hmac
03-14-13, 06:43
Mac's do have a problem with gaming, but mainly because most of the biggest games are only written for Windows. The big win for games is consoles and 3-D games that are written even for the PC has become sort of an afterthought - writing for Mac is way down the scale of their priorities since PC game sales are such a small percentage of the total. When such games do come out on the Mac, the game is usually a port from Windows and doesn't run as well because of the software. My solution has been to just load Windows onto the Mac since the Mac will run either OS just fine. Mine is set up so that I can boot into either MacOS or Windows 7. VMWare or Parallels are another solution and work fine for other Windows software but they only emulate. They work fine for regular software but games like FPS's that require DirectX have unacceptable frame rates. If I boot into Windows instead of running it on a virtual machine it runs the same as a PC. So even if someone is wedded practically or emotionally to Windows, Windows remain an option on a Mac. You can run Windows every bit as well on a Mac by booting it, or you can have the convenience of running both MacOS or Windows simultaneously. The only thing I have to run Windows for is 3-D gaming.

Hmac
03-14-13, 07:42

Our system works pretty well. On the dedicated wireless network from within either facility where I work I can use the Citrix app from iPad or iPhone. From home or outside the facility I can log on via the Citrix web interface. Both methods work fine. They're stable and run plenty fast. I also have the option of logging in remotely via VPN and even that runs fast enough to be acceptable. The irritations I suffer while using Citrix are due to short time-outs and cumbersome log-on credentials that are the result of an over-interpretation of HIPPA by our IT department's "Security Officer Group" (who have become my arch nemesis over the years).

Wake27
03-14-13, 08:28
My Dell is going to be toast pretty soon. I've been heavily considering a Mac recently. I used to be a computer nerd so I felt like I handled windows pretty well. I've never liked the macs I've worked with but I think once I get used to them I will because windows is just so stupid when it comes to somethings. Plus their hardware is just really nice. And I love my iPhone.

jet66
03-14-13, 08:44
Glad to hear.
I run both formats & prefer MAC.

More intuitive & way less hassles w/ viruses & data hacks.
Welcome to the tribe.

enjoy !

Pretty much the same for me, with Win XP at work, OSX at home. (Going to Win7 at work some time soon...) It's not impossible to get a virus or spyware on a Mac, but you just about have to do it on purpose. (Thus far...) Until the scales tip on that end of things, I'll be sticking with Mac.

I do kinda hate some things about iTunes, though... I like the older Windows media player (don't know if it's changed) to where I can rip CDs to mp3 and then drag and drop as I wish to media player devices. Syncing and having limits on what computer/libraries I can pull music from can be annoying/inconvenient at times.

jmp45
03-14-13, 08:54
Transitioning here too. We have and imac, mac book pro and air. I need to use a few win based development apps. Parallels is the answer to run windows on a mac. Much safer than boot camp from what I've been told. You do need a copy of windows, I have an old copy of xp pro which is sufficient to run the few apps I use. You can configure parallels to run the win applications without the windows desktop with coherence. If you have a few win applications you still need to run, that's my suggestion.

http://www.parallels.com/

Alex V
03-14-13, 10:27
I hate being forced to use Windows at work, but at this point its still a necessary evil.

I have been using OS since 2007 when I bought the first gen Intel MBP. It is still working flawlessly and my wife is using it now that she went back to school.

We have a 27" iMac as well and I love it. I do have Windows on both machines in order to run AutoCAD and 3DS Max which pisses me off. AutoCAD is available for OSX now but it sucks.

I will never buy a Windows based machine ever again.

WillBrink
03-14-13, 10:36

Actually, was considering going in the other direction:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=126640

Hmac
03-14-13, 11:10
Parallels is the answer to run windows on a mac. Much safer than boot camp from what I've been told. You do need a copy of windows, I have an old copy of xp pro which is sufficient to run the few apps I use.

Nah. Installing Windows via Boot Camp to run natively on the Mac works great. But there really is no need to do so unless you're using programs that require a lot of 3-D acceleration. Virtualization programs like Parallels or VMWare typically just can't do it at acceptable frame rates. Other programs...virtualization is very conventient. I've used both, but I simply have no need of Windows-specific programs except for occasional games. Everything else I need to run is either the same as, or better than, its Windows counterpart. As a result, I've scrapped Parallels and installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp. Runs great, completely stable. At least...as stable as any Windows OS can be.

Littlelebowski
03-14-13, 11:32
But for serious business (minus media/design companies), military/contractor, and even gaming use for different reasons, I do not advocate a Mac.

Riiiight. Yeah, no mil or PMCs use macs and I've never seen Macs in DOD/federal use. They're just so insecure but you can't tell us why, right?

currahee
03-14-13, 12:19
I just switched back to Win after about 6 years of running an iMac. Having my monitor go out pissed me off and I wasn't going to spend the money on Mac again.

I really don't understand the complainst of people between various OS or even browsers (assuming it works at all.) Back when is was either Apple2E or MS-DOS it made a difference, but when the came out with 3.1 they were both equally easy to use. There are some truly different things with Windows 8, but I'm already getting used to them. The changes in the new Office seem like they are going to be more of a pain in the ass.

I will hate having to run virus stuff with my new windows machine, but at least I get back my right click and minesweeper.

thopkins22
03-14-13, 12:36
I used to be vehemently anti-mac for no good reason. "What am I spending my days in a coffee shop buying skinny jeans online?" But I bought an iPhone. Loved it...changed my life. Decided to go all in and now have a computer and iPad from them as well. Amongst the better decisions I've ever made. The way it works and interacts with me(and amongst themselves) is just better.

I will hate having to run virus stuff with my new windows machine, but at least I get back my right click and minesweeper.

You can set up a right click to work exactly the same as it does a PC on an Apple. Too late now I know....

Regarding businesses using Apple...Schlumberger is one of the world's largest oilfield service providers and allows Apple computers...in fact they built apps that allow their well logging software to work on iPads and iPhones as well.

I can actually name a lot of people and companies that have very serious industrial espionage concerns that either use or allow Apple products.

Littlelebowski
03-14-13, 13:14
Controląclick will give you right click functionality or.....buy a mouse with right click.

Honu
03-14-13, 13:22
Ditto others :)
Right click has always been on OS X ?

currahee
03-14-13, 13:36
Ditto others :)
Right click has always been on OS X ?

Any argument regarding this is moot, as I am out of the apple buisiness.

But for example, you can not right click a mac and get the option to cut and paste etc. Or at least I could not, and I looked at the options for programing the mouse many times. I think the factory optionwas bringing up the widgets, which I had to turn off because the button was so non ergonomic that I would frequently have "Widget ADs."

I Don't care, it wasn't a deel breaker and I can now- with my windows machine.

chadbag
03-14-13, 13:36
Believe what you want, Honu. I'm laying out facts, not biases.

You're laying out just as many biases as facts.

Apple has added a TON of stuff for security into Mountain Lion and has been releasing updates for security issues regularly. They were less responsive in the past, but have become much more responsive in the last year.

Apple no longer owns or maintains java for OS X. That lies with Oracle.

OS X has some architectural design choices that make it harder for normal general purpose viruses to be propagated. That does not mean it is immune. Most of the examples of OS X based malware have been either ones that rely on social engineering (basically convincing someone to install the malware), or have been in cross platform technologies like PDF (though Apple uses their own PDF so owns the bugs in its own implementation), FLASH, or java.

MS made a lot of strides in this area and Win7 is light years better than previous Windows versions when it comes to malware. And they adopted many of the same sorts of design choices that OS X had.

Apple is not perfect, and sometimes takes a while to update things, while other times they push out updates quite quickly when security issues arise.

If you turn on (or don't turn off on new installs) the new security features that are user selectable in 10.8 (plus all the internal architectural things in 10.8 that are always on) you will have a pretty good resistance to malware that does not rely on social engineering. From what I hear, Win7 is similar, though I have no personal experience with that. Not perfect, and you still have to be careful. Especialy with cross platform or third party things like java and flash.

Don't go to porn sites. Don't use dodgy download sites. Don't open random files and attachments. Keep your Flash and java updated to the latest (which is Adobe and Oracle, not Apple). Have a good HW firewall. Don't turn on services you are not using. Don't run as an admin account except when doing admin things.

And NO, you cannot normally screw your OS X machine up with terminal access to make it more easy to break into, unless you specifically go to root level access.

You have to be in an admin level account, and then you STILL have to do something like

% sudo bash

or

% sudo su -

and type your password. Then you can easily screw things up. But you have had to take some positives steps to willingly do such, not do it accidentally.

You're just interpreting them as bias because they're not in favor of your purchase. Here's the best example:

Here's another facepalm article:
http://lifehacker.com/5681710/how-to-break-into-a-mac-and-prevent-it-from-happening-to-you
Read the comments too.

Is that the best you can do? Yes, if someone has PHYSICAL ACCESS to your machine, then they can do all sorts of things to it. Same with linux, windows, etc. That has nothing to do with virus or malware or internet security.

It is something to be aware of, but is a totally different subject than the one you have been beating drum about.

--

thopkins22
03-14-13, 13:39
But for example, you can not right click a mac and get the option to cut and paste etc. Or at least I could not, and I looked at the options for programing the mouse many times. I think the factory optionwas bringing up the widgets, which I had to turn off because the button was so non ergonomic that I would frequently have "Widget ADs."

I know it doesn't matter to you anymore, but just for the sake of accuracy...I do just that all day long with the mouse that came with it.

Look Up ""
Search With Google
Cut
Copy
Paste
Save Image
Open In New Tab
Etc...depending on what you right click on.

chadbag
03-14-13, 13:41

right click or control-click is contextual on OS X. If an app has not overridden it, the default if you right click IN A FIELD WHERE IT MAKES SENSE, you can paste into it. If I just right click in my browser window, there is no paste. If I right click in an input field, there is. If I right click in my browser without selecting text first (or selecting something that is copyable) then there is no copy. If I select text first, then right click, copy is part of the contextual menu.

OS X has supported multi button mice for ages. Probably since 10.0, I don't remember, since OpenStep, from which OS X is derived, supported them. I've had a multi button mouse since almost forever. Any standard multi button mouse will work. At least the normal right and left and scroller will work and I think middle mouse button (which now a days is a middle button when pressed) works just fine.

--

chadbag
03-14-13, 13:46
But don't put very sensitive stuff on Macs without encryption;

Just change that to "don't put very sensitive stuff on any computer without encryption"

Macs are no more vulnerable than Windows computers or any other computer.

don't trust security through minority.

That is a myth propagated by haters.

chadbag
03-14-13, 13:52
Nah. Installing Windows via Boot Camp to run natively on the Mac works great. But there really is no need to do so unless you're using programs that require a lot of 3-D acceleration. Virtualization programs like Parallels or VMWare typically just can't do it at acceptable frame rates. Other programs...virtualization is very conventient. I've used both, but I simply have no need of Windows-specific programs except for occasional games. Everything else I need to run is either the same as, or better than, its Windows counterpart. As a result, I've scrapped Parallels and installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp. Runs great, completely stable. At least...as stable as any Windows OS can be.

You can get acceptable frame rates on games for the non-Heavy Duty stuff inside the latest VMWare Fusion with Win 7. If you need a special purpose gaming rig on the Windows side, then no, it won't work that great under VMWare. If it works at all. But if a mid level Windows machine runs it fine, it will do OK under VMWare Fusion on a powerful enough Mac.

I finally installed Win 7 under bootcamp in order to try out Rise of Flight (which doesn't even run at all under VMWare Fusion), but almost everything else I run under VMWare Fusion. But I am not regularly trying out or playing the latest, heavy duty games. For those I would boot bootcamp.

Much more convenient to just boot windows inside VMWare, while my Mac still runs its normal stuff, than have to reboot the whole machine. As an example, Phoenix RC Flight Sim runs pretty well inside VMWare Fusion.

Parallels is probably similar, but I gave up on them years ago when my VM stopped booting and their tech support was useless and unresponsive. Not having learned my lesson then, I tried to go back a couple years later and bought an upgrade that had a rebate on it. Never got the rebate. I complained and complained and they claimed to send me another rebate (half as big) but never got that one either. So I gave up on Parallels.

--

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 15:22
Apple released SMC 1.1 and OSX 10.8.3 just now...

Koshinn
03-14-13, 15:32

In law school, had to use a program called examsoft. It only ran on native installs on windows and could detect if it was being run in a VM. Pretty clever program actually. All the Mac users, including me, had to buy windows and install boot camp.

Guess they have a native mac version now.. nice, after I no longer need it :(

theblackknight
03-14-13, 15:58
My '09 macbook has right click all day.

My next machine will be a Mac Mini.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Honu
03-14-13, 16:09
In law school, had to use a program called examsoft. It only ran on native installs on windows and could detect if it was being run in a VM. Pretty clever program actually. All the Mac users, including me, had to buy windows and install boot camp.

Guess they have a native mac version now.. nice, after I no longer need it :(

What VM software were you using ? and what license and how did you install Windows into the vm then ?
Cause VMWare and Paralells you need windows ! :)
Why not just use the same disk or key for bootcamp ?

What you wrote makes no sense you need to install the guest OS into the VM and that takes a product key if you are using windows !

All you would have had to do was install bootcamp and use the same key as you had running in the vmware ?

RIDE
03-14-13, 16:16
Just setup right click in the system preferences.. it's easy...

System Preferences > Trackpad > Point&Click > Then check the "Secondary Click" box and select how you'd like it done (I use "click or tap with 2 fingers" on my same Retina MBP).

I also set my preferences to use the Tab key for "All Controls".

For the Retina MBP, I highly recommend SwitchResX, to gain COMPLETE control of the resolution of not just the Retina MBP (which is highly useful alone) but also for multiple displays and screen spanning.

I used to use Blacktree's Quicksilver which was awesome but not completely stable.. I now use Alfred, which doesn't have the same all encompassing features, but is a must have in my opinion...

Lol.. there's simply a ton of "must have" apps... enjoy!!!

Honu
03-14-13, 17:54
No worries :)
But its like knocking a rifle cause you did not understand or take the time to use it properly ?
Like saying well Eotech does it this way so aimpoint is better ?
Learn what you use :)

Same goes for mac users trying windows !

SMETNA
03-14-13, 18:49
Testimony:

My Intel MBP from 2006 has never had anti-virus software installed, nor have I ever wiped the hard-disk and reinstalled the OS. It's never had a virus and it hasn't become bogged down with normal use. 7 years old, runs like a Swiss watch.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-14-13, 18:50
We have 2 MBP's, love em.

RIDE
03-14-13, 19:02
Testimony:

My Intel MBP from 2006 has never had anti-virus software installed, nor have I ever wiped the hard-disk and reinstalled the OS. It's never had a virus and it hasn't become bogged down with normal use. 7 years old, runs like a Swiss watch.

Same here, except I've been running macs since the 90's with not 1 single virus. No av software.

munch520
03-14-13, 21:21
Good to hear your happy with the switch. I've been looking at one of the bigger iMacs for our house and my wife's photography side business, I think we'll go ahead with it.

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 21:40
Good to hear your happy with the switch. I've been looking at one of the bigger iMacs for our house and my wife's photography side business, I think we'll go ahead with it.

If you get the current Gen iMac I would max out the video card (680MX) but the RAM is user replaceable. A lot cheaper to get aftermarket RAM than through Apple. I would have done the same on this Retina MBP but the RAM is soldered to the motherboard so not user serviceable.

munch520
03-14-13, 21:46
If you get the current Gen iMac I would max out the video card (680MX) but the RAM is user replaceable. A lot cheaper to get aftermarket RAM than through Apple. I would have done the same on this Retina MBP but the RAM is soldered to the motherboard so not user serviceable.

I see, good tip and I wouldn't have known otherwise. Thanks!

Belmont31R
03-14-13, 21:50
I see, good tip and I wouldn't have known otherwise. Thanks!

That's only on the 27" which has a little door on the back right above the RAM. The smaller one doesn't have access on the back.

kwelz
03-15-13, 00:06
That's only on the 27" which has a little door on the back right above the RAM. The smaller one doesn't have access on the back.

This is one of the things that bothers me about the current gen. However I talked to the Rep from apple and he had some interesting info.

Apparently people that purchase the 21.5 inch imac almost never upgrade the RAM. I forget the exact number but it was in the 90% range. However the numbers were quite different for the 27 inch model.

Personally I use a Mam for all my serious work. I have a Mac Book Air for my office and when I do open houses and a previous gen 27 inch imac at home. The only thing my PC gets used for is games.

Belmont31R
03-15-13, 00:41
This is one of the things that bothers me about the current gen. However I talked to the Rep from apple and he had some interesting info.

Apparently people that purchase the 21.5 inch imac almost never upgrade the RAM. I forget the exact number but it was in the 90% range. However the numbers were quite different for the 27 inch model.

Personally I use a Mam for all my serious work. I have a Mac Book Air for my office and when I do open houses and a previous gen 27 inch imac at home. The only thing my PC gets used for is games.

Yeah I think the 21.5" isn't geared towards people who would replace RAM. More education type settings and they released an education model maybe a couple few weeks ago with an i3 IIRC. My son's kindergarten classrooms have 4 iMacs each...:eek:

Belmont31R
03-15-13, 01:05
Alright 2 questions...

Is Photo Stream imbedded into iPhoto?

How do I upload a photo on here to Photo Stream? On the PC I had a whole Photo Stream folder under my user account3 which was separated into 3 sub folders being the main stream, shared, and uploads. I could drag/c&p a picture into the uploads folder on the PC and it would upload to PS. The only place I have seen the PS so far is within iPhoto, and when I plug in my iPhone 5 it pops up and wants to export all my Camera Roll photos into iPhoto. I just want a quick place to drag/c&p to get stuff into my Photo Stream and see whats on there already. I share a lot of family stuff with my MIL through PS so is all done trough iPhoto?

chadbag
03-15-13, 01:26
Alright 2 questions...

Is Photo Stream imbedded into iPhoto?

Photostream is supported by iPhoto, yes.

How do I upload a photo on here to Photo Stream? On the PC I had a whole Photo Stream folder under my user account3 which was separated into 3 sub folders being the main stream, shared, and uploads. I could drag/c&p a picture into the uploads folder on the PC and it would upload to PS. The only place I have seen the PS so far is within iPhoto, and when I plug in my iPhone 5 it pops up and wants to export all my Camera Roll photos into iPhoto. I just want a quick place to drag/c&p to get stuff into my Photo Stream and see whats on there already. I share a lot of family stuff with my MIL through PS so is all done trough iPhoto?

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do.

Where are the photos now that you want to put into your photostream?

If they are on the iPhone, just stick them in your photostream directly from the iPhone? (your main personal photostream has the stuff from your iPhone automatically, but personalized photostreams you have to assign the photos to individually)

Maybe I am not getting what you are trying to do (I get the general idea, but your details not)

-

chadbag
03-15-13, 01:35
Ok, I just did a test. I have a bunch of photos on my iPhone 5 that I never imported into iPhoto. However, they automatically go into my default photo stream. But you cannot share them from the photo stream directly. However, they automatically were imported into my library (with event names like "Feb 2013 Photo Stream") and I can share them directly into another photo stream from the library (where they were automatically imported from the phone through photostream originally).

Does that help?

I am not sure there is an "upload" folder for photo streams, as there seems to be on Windows, since the whole iPhoto thing and Photo streams kind of makes that clunky compared to just sharing directly in iPhoto. No copying or dragging needed. This is just a guess as to the existence of such functionality since I have never had the thought to use or look for such.

--

Honu
03-15-13, 02:12
Apple has pretty good support pages

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2606?viewlocale=en_US

I use iphoto only for managing my photostream but if I want some photos in the stream from other folders on my computer say I took them with another camera
I just drag them into the photos folder up near the top left of iphoto under the Library heading
you should see events then photos then faces and places

once in that area under recent heading you will have that Last Import and you will see your photos you drug in select which ones you want to add then at the bottom right you should see some icons one is a square box with a + in it
you can then add photos into your stream from there very easy
you will see photostream and then select the stream you want :)

hope that is what you were trying to do :)

very well could be a easy way to make a drag and drop folder ? dont do it to often