PDA

View Full Version : My new .45 FNX

Beachboy
03-14-13, 20:15
I decided to purchase a different .45 and give it a try. I am a long time 1911 user, from duty to EDC. I've owned a range of 1911's from a variety of manufacturers, in sizes from Detonics to long slides. Currently carry is a SA TRP with 10-8 Performance upgrades.

So this weekend I plan to shoot my new FNX .45.

Here's a pic of it compared to the FNS 9MM for size.

Gary1911A1
03-15-13, 09:26
Let us know if the thumb safety on the FN feels much like the 1911 as far as location on the frame and your thumb.

jwfuhrman
03-15-13, 10:23
I picked one up after shooting one. I'm now in the process of switching from M&P's to all FNX guns. I'm so impressed with how it shoots.

markm
03-15-13, 10:41
Now what's the diff between an FNX and the 45 FNP?

jwfuhrman
03-15-13, 10:48
FNX is the updated version of the FNP

markm
03-15-13, 11:00
FNX is the updated version of the FNP

"P" had a better ring to it... and a much better price tag. :mad:

lwilcox28
03-15-13, 11:06
You'll like it. I have a .45 FNP Tactical and everyone I've let shot it fell in love with it.

billybronco
03-15-13, 11:53
picked one up myself on tuesday.

got it for 660.00 with my discount @ work.

not a bad deal.

thing is a tank but still balances well. nice DA as well as SA. safety/decocker in excellent proximity to thumb. points well. insane capacity for a "Fo-Fif".

yes, i work at a gunshop. yes, i'm surrounded by tools. no, i'm not one of them.

:laugh:

burning some powder this weekend.

results to follow.

WickedWillis
03-15-13, 12:07
You'll like it. I have a .45 FNP Tactical and everyone I've let shot it fell in love with it.

I did not. I rented a FNP .45 tactical from my local shop after doing some research on it and I really did not like it. Thought it was more bulky than other full-size .45's I have handled, and I personally did not shoot as well with it as I did the Sig P220, and H&K 45. The price on the FNP (not tactical version) was very good though. Looks like the FNX not so much. Just a quick add, FN is one of my favorite manufacturers and I really wanted to like the FNP .45.

LtNovakUSA
03-15-13, 17:08
Now what's the diff between an FNX and the 45 FNP?

As was pointed out it's an updated version. Changes I know of are the magazines, which have been redesigned, and aren't interchangeable with each other. (FNP magazines were narrow, and had a problem with rounds loaded close to max OAL binding in the magazine tube).

Also the angle of the feed ramp has been changed. The FNP chamber leaves a lot of the case unsupported, and there have been some cases of bulged / ruptured cases. With the 45 being pretty low pressure it usually doesn't cause people issues, but I guess FN saw fit to redesign it.

Also I have to agree with WickedWillis. It's nowhere near the top of the list in my fav 45s. I have a Tactical in FDE, and while i think it is a good pistol, it is huge, and the grip is pretty beefy. (It has to be to fit 15 rounds of 45ACP). The controls arent in the most ergonomically advantageous places, mostly due to the size. By comparison, the M&P45 and HK45 are much better in this regard. The tactical model is overpriced too IMO. $1100-1200 is pretty high for a polymer framed 45, especially when compared with it's competitors.

RetiredCO
03-15-13, 18:22
Good review of the FNP 45 http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/weapons/Articles/FN%20High%20Capacity%2045.pdf

Did this 2 years ago when I got my FNP 45 right out of the plastic box.
My second box of ammo 35 rounds 25 yards indoors.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/cjstinks/100_2316-1.jpg

BrigandTwoFour
03-15-13, 22:36
I've handled a friend's FNP-45 (Loved it from the start) and have been eyeballing the FNX forever.

The FNX-45 is very similar to the FNP-45 USG that was designed for the service pistol replacement competition. The USG had several updates over the standard FNP line. They took those updates and put them into the 9mm line, calling it the FNX. Then, a couple years later, decided to just consolidate the name and got rid of the FNP line all together.

The FNX-45 is high on my list of pistols to buy, but will likely not be happening in the next few years as I just moved behind enemy lines to CA.