PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input

djegators
03-15-13, 20:25
This is more of a long term project, especially with the difficulty in finding parts at this time, but I do want to start gathering parts as I can afford them.

Anyways, my goal is a custom, soft-shooting, DMR-ish rifle. I want good longer range accuracy, comfortable to shoot, and pretty much all top shelf components.

Here is the general thinking so far:

18-20" barrel
Battle Comp
VLTOR A5 stock
Accupoint Scope
Geiselle Trigger of some sort.

Still deciding on barrel, leaning towards a Noveske stainless, but not set in stone.

Also not sure about handguard, but want something long and thin, hopefully on the light-weight side. Noveske 13.5 NSR, troy battle rail, something like that.

And I know the lower doesn't really matter, would like something top shelf, and possibly a bit different. Perhaps a Noveske Gen2, Seekins SP223....

Upper, a VLTOR MUR, or perhaps a VLTOR VIS system to account for upper and rail.

caelumatra
03-15-13, 21:29
Have you decided on a caliber?

djegators
03-16-13, 20:52
Have you decided on a caliber?

5.56/.223

offroader1006
03-17-13, 08:04
I would suggest handling a 20" with a light carbine stock on it.

I put an A2 on mine and added some weight to help balance it out.

It makes extended unsupported shooting much more comfortable.

I think 18" is perfect, but that's just me. Everyone is built differently.

The NSR looks like a solid handguard, and is relatively light.

My favorite lightweight is the Midwest Gen 2 SS. It''s not as flashy, but it's lighter than the NSR. (comparing 15" rails 10.9-11.6).

As for the barrel, I have to recommend the Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I've used one on 3 out of my last 4 builds and they are very accurate. Not saying either is more accurate (noveske or BHW) just something else to consider.

djegators
03-17-13, 19:25
Thanks, good feedback.

caelumatra
03-19-13, 08:40
You may want to look at Mike Rock barrels also. I'm not knocking Noveske barrels, I have 2, an 18" 308 and a 14.5 556. Just from what I've read, by all account Mike Rock barrels are about as good as they get. And after seeing what Trident does with his short barrels I would go with either a 16" or an 18".

I have an NSR on backorder at DSG so I can't say how good they are but from all accounts they are excellent. I have a Troy TRX battlerail on my 308 and I like it. Its very light especially compared to my shorter SWS rail I have on my BCM AR15.

I'd also suggest a Gunfighter charging handle. I have both the regular mod 4 (the medium latch) and the ambi mod 4. I really like them, they are a significant step up from a standard charging handle IMO.

fallenromeo
03-19-13, 11:43
Take a look at White Oak Armory barrels or the BCM SS410 stainless barrels, if you can find one in stock. Extremely accurate, high quality barrels, and will save you some coin over a Noveske.

djegators
03-19-13, 16:43
You may want to look at Mike Rock barrels also. I'm not knocking Noveske barrels, I have 2, an 18" 308 and a 14.5 556. Just from what I've read, by all account Mike Rock barrels are about as good as they get. And after seeing what Trident does with his short barrels I would go with either a 16" or an 18".

I have an NSR on backorder at DSG so I can't say how good they are but from all accounts they are excellent. I have a Troy TRX battlerail on my 308 and I like it. Its very light especially compared to my shorter SWS rail I have on my BCM AR15.

I'd also suggest a Gunfighter charging handle. I have both the regular mod 4 (the medium latch) and the ambi mod 4. I really like them, they are a significant step up from a standard charging handle IMO.

I have BCM CH on all my ARs. I may try one of the new ambi ones, or possibly the Rainier ambi CH. I enjoy trying out products first hand.