PDA

View Full Version : Two new lowers had holes drilled after anodization (pic)

joe_sun
03-16-13, 09:32
After speaking with the company all is well. lowers were anodized and as others pointed it it was due to a bubble preventing the dye from reaching the hole

steyrman13
03-16-13, 09:39
Someone with more knowledge should be along and may correct me if I'm wrong. I think the buffer, when rifle is fully assembled, will be "hammering" on the BCG not the retainer. When you push the upper into the lower the BCG sets the buffer back a small amount keeping pressure off the retainer. It only has pressure on it when the lower is separated from the upper.

Eric D.
03-16-13, 09:40
^^ The buffer never hits the detent when you're shooting, it just keeps it captive when you separate the lower.

Functionally it probably doesn't matter. You could try some of that aluminum black or alumahyde from Brownells.

More and more things being rushed through production.

Rmplstlskn
03-16-13, 09:44
Yep, the buffer doesn't hit that detent during operation, so no wear point.... BUT, that is a carppy solution that manufacturer did. Makes me wonder how everything else lines up...

Rmpl

jerrysimons
03-16-13, 10:11
What company is the on the stamp?
Edit: Good call on trying to contact the company before dropping names.

joe_sun
03-16-13, 10:31
What company is the on the stamp?

a well known and respected one. I'd rather not say yet since I haven't yet reached out to them.

westrujp
03-16-13, 11:45
Hopefully you paid blem price for that, in the least.

Todd.K
03-16-13, 11:59
Blind holes can trap a bubble during anodizing.

If it were my lower I wouldn't worry about it.

Campbell
03-16-13, 12:05
This will not cause you any problems for 50,000 rds....
Kidding, just go ahead and assemble...non-issue.

joe_sun
03-16-13, 13:27

I'd say a bubble might be possible as well but this is on both lowers and both have identical scratch marks from the tooling after it was anodized.

This will not cause you any problems for 50,000 rds....
Kidding, just go ahead and assemble...non-issue.

Thanks well, I sent an email to the company already so I'll wait to hear what they have to say. It's good to know they are good to go thou.

As for pricing I paid $233.00 for both shipped after transfer fees.

Merle
03-16-13, 15:35
I wouldn't even give it a second thought if it was mine. You'll never even notice it when the detent is installed.

8200rpm
03-16-13, 17:18

Hint, hint.

By no means am I disagreeing. I wouldn't worry about it either.

MistWolf
03-16-13, 17:23
The anodizing itself is colorless. The black is just part of the dye

Suwannee Tim
03-16-13, 20:51
I bought a Steyr AUG CQB which has a few holes drilled and tapped after anodizing. It ain't ideal but I did it all the time when I built machines for fabricating semiconductors. These machines cost huge money, millions of $s and were vital parts of production lines that cost hundreds of millions of $s. The customers were very very picky and demanding and knowledgeable. They didn't give it a second thought. I would't give it a second thought.

me_john85
03-16-13, 21:50
I don't care about the scratches, what I might care about is the lack of hardening on a part that is subject to the hammering of an H buffer against it.

Anodizing has nothing to do with hardening. It is a protective coating to prevent corrosion. Heat treating is how aluminum gets to its proper hardness.

MistWolf
03-16-13, 23:49
Anodizing does have something to do with hardening. Aluminum exposed to oxygen forms aluminum oxide, a very hard substance, on it's surface. Anodizing does the same thing but deeper and more evenly than the natural process.

You are correct that anodizing does does heat treat aluminum

BSmith
03-17-13, 18:27
Anodizing has nothing to do with hardening. It is a protective coating to prevent corrosion. Heat treating is how aluminum gets to its proper hardness.

Type III hardcoat provides a hard layer on top of the aluminum to protect it.

MistWolf
03-17-13, 18:37
The anodizing itself is part of the aluminum. It's a conversion coating

BSmith
03-17-13, 18:58
The anodizing itself is part of the aluminum. It's a conversion coating

Didn't even see your reply when I replied. Saw the one above yours. Yours explains it much better and more correctly.

markm
03-18-13, 08:35
This is ****ing retarded. I have a lower that has exactly this same thing, I'd already forgotten about it until I read this insanity.