PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Carrier Group pros I have a question?

2_wacko
03-17-13, 09:23
I bought this BCG from a local guy who ordered it from Hardened Arms (sorry if not a sponsor). The link claims full auto bcg etc. But it looks a little strange to me more like a semi/full auto from the pics what do you all think thanks.

http://www.hardenedarms.com/pageCompleteBCG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/2_wacko/IMG_0370_zpsdee91a9f.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/2_wacko/IMG_0372_zpsdffbd194.jpg

MarkG
03-17-13, 09:31
Appears to be a semiautomatic bolt carrier...

Quentin
03-17-13, 09:35
Yes, it's an AR-15 style carrier not M16. Check out the gas key staking and of course the bolt itself.

2_wacko
03-17-13, 09:36
Appears to be a semiautomatic bolt carrier...

That's what I was thinking from the bottom pic, but top looks full auto or am I wrong?

2_wacko
03-17-13, 09:40
Yes, it's an AR-15 style carrier not M16. Check out the gas key staking and of course the bolt itself.

The keys are staked, and bolt has no marking.

polymorpheous
03-17-13, 10:45
That's what I was thinking from the bottom pic, but top looks full auto or am I wrong?

Google image "semi auto bolt carrier".
You'll find all the images match your carrier.

markm
03-18-13, 08:38
That is a semi auto carrier? WHAT'S THE ISSUE/CONCERN?:confused:

That carrier should run just fine. I'd use it if I had it.

Now if I'd bought it for my Machine Gun, I'd have to go back because it won't work with an autosear. But I'm guessing you don't have that issue.

Troy9749
03-18-13, 09:03
See if this helps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/18/y4aqynaq.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

markm
03-18-13, 09:10
In the pic above you see that the important part is that the Firing pin spool is shrouded on the carrier that the OP bought.

The small relief cut on the bottom of the carrier where the autosear it tripped is negligible and not worth sweating.

Least desireable carrier has that ramped area at the rear of the firing pin. Puts too much stress on the firing pin in my opinion.

Troy9749
03-18-13, 09:19
Good point on the pin shroud. The only time I've seen a "half circle " was a demilled rebuild of an A1 by either Century or Olympic (can't remember which) where they cut the original carrier to remove the ability to reset the auto sear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2_wacko
03-18-13, 09:56
What seemed strange on mine is the cut out is not as big as a normal SemiAuto BCG. From the pics posted showing the differance that semi auto bcg looks alot more cut out than mine? Thanks again.

markm
03-18-13, 09:57
What seemed strange on mine is the cut out is not as big as a normal SemiAuto BCG. From the pics posted showing the differance that semi auto bcg looks alot more cut out than mine? Thanks again.

There's a lot of variants out there. The Les Baer carriers are cut like yours. It looks good to me. I'd just shoot it.

2_wacko
03-18-13, 10:15
There's a lot of variants out there. The Les Baer carriers are cut like yours. It looks good to me. I'd just shoot it.

Thanks everyone for the input!

halfmoonclip
03-18-13, 12:17
From the (really useful, thanks Troy!) pictures:
IIRC, the unshrouded firing pin was to foul the hammer if there was some halfassed attempt to make a homebrew 'full auto'. The half circle carrier was, as noted, meant to not trip an autosear.
Why the three variants of dimension on the bottom circle of the carrier has never made sense to me, but the largest one, it was argued, added mass to the carrier, which was a good thing.

For the OP, your somewhat reduced lower circle isn't apt to hurt anything; I'd just shoot it.

The other question was the origin of some of this stuff; whether to blame Colt management for being neurotic, or BATFE regulators, or some combination thereof, it's a good thing, at least for the moment, that we can use BCGs that haven't been neutered.
Moon

markm
03-18-13, 12:23
IIRC, the unshrouded firing pin was to foul the hammer if there was some halfassed attempt to make a homebrew 'full auto'.

Exactly. It works in conjunction with the "notched" hammer. The small spool firing pin hangs up on the notch should the discontector fail or be modified to not catch the hammer.

Weight differences between standard carriers and relief cut carriers are negligible. All else equal a standard 16 carrier is preferrable. But I'd run the carrier that the OP bought without hesitation.

halfmoonclip
03-18-13, 12:45
Mark, the 'notched hammer' thing raises its ugly head again. I've a 9mm AR, and was fortunately spared the notched hammer; my bolt is ramped, but there was a bunch of miserable stuff connected with earlier AR parts. I had forgotten that the notched hammers were also used in 5.56 versions, and I'm thinking my first (and now departed) post-ban AR had the unshrouded pin.
Do we know why manufacturers are now able to make mil-spec parts?
Thnx,
Moon

markm
03-18-13, 13:03
Do we know why manufacturers are now able to make mil-spec parts?

The ramped carrier on the 5.56 is a whole different ball game than a 9mm ramped carrier.

The notched hammer on the 5.56 was just Colt's over protective sillyness. The Type 1 hammer is the original style part, and much closer to the real M16 hammer.

halfmoonclip
03-18-13, 13:08
mark, I took a beating (maybe over on the Colt board) for suggesting that any of the redundant protection against full auto conversion was Colt's doing, tho' I'd heard they had.
Anyway, happy to have avoided such things with rifles currently in my possession.
Moon

markm
03-18-13, 13:11
mark, I took a beating (maybe over on the Colt board) for suggesting that any of the redundant protection against full auto conversion was Colt's doing, tho' I'd heard they had.

Colt hit the pinnacle of that crap with their Sear Block. We just had Specialized Armament mill off one of those suckers in a 90's era lower we got.

halfmoonclip
03-18-13, 13:19
Colt hit the pinnacle of that crap with their Sear Block. We just had Specialized Armament mill off one of those suckers in a 90's era lower we got.
I successfully avoided those, but was cursed with the halfcircle, unshrouded firing pin BCG at one point. They were reputed to be a real stinker to remove without the right tools.
Any notion what, other than competition, led to Colt's change of heart?
Oh, we didn't even talk about the oversize FCG pins.
Moon

markm
03-18-13, 13:31
No idea. The beauty of this panic market is that we unloaded 2 of those BCGs for decent money. They work ok and all. I had a half moon carrier on my bench for years. This market gave it a home and put cash in my pocket. :)