PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a summer pocket carry...

FAB45
03-17-13, 16:24
Shopping for a pocket pistol for summer (shorts and t shirt), please offer suggestions and why. I really want an M&P Shield, pocketable? I know a lot of options out there just wanted the forums suggestions. Thx

Ryno12
03-17-13, 16:59
I'm not a fan of 380's but I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 just for shorts & t-shirt weather. Trigger is stiff & it conceals very well with light clothing. I found myself not carrying because my 40 would print so much. I figured a 380 is better than nothing at all. Still waiting on a Shield though.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Breadman
03-17-13, 17:03
The shield is a little larger than I would like to have for pocket carry.
I pocket carry an LCP and also an Smith J frame airweight.
I do have a 9mm Shield. It is about perfect for IWB.

T2C
03-17-13, 17:07
I prefer a S&W BG38 loaded with Speer Gold Dot +P 135g JHP. It's light weight and reliable. It is the most accurate J Frame I have owned. I never was a fan of laser sights, but the one on my BG38 has swayed my opinion. If you don't like the laser you can remove it. A Speed Strip with extra ammunition is easy to conceal.

themonk
03-17-13, 17:16
I had a Keltec PF9 and it was awesome for pocket carry but not that awesome in reliability and not all that easy to shoot. I traded it in for a Beretta Nano that has been stellar in reliability but is a little heavy for pocket carry although I do it no problem in the summer with cargo shorts. The shield is also an awesome gun but it is bigger than most of the small nines. I looked at it but I figured there was not that much to gain compared to a GLOCK 19 which I have. I think if you are an M&Ps guy the shield is a great gun but for me it would be to big for pocket carry - YMMV.

ST911
03-17-13, 17:26
I pocket carry J-frames and subcompact Glocks (26/27) in shorts and tee shirts. A shield would work for most folks, depending on size and fit of the shorts. There is little reason to go to smaller guns than these, but much to lose.

Also... Several multi-page threads on pocket carry, search term "pocket carry" with thread titles only:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118469
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54888
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27708
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21120

Diezel
03-17-13, 18:17
Just bought a Sig P938 AG yesterday for pocket carry. Its a great gun if you like 1911's and it is also extremely small for a 9mm. I think the size is similar to the Kahr Pm9. I was very picky about choosing a pocket gun especially since many of them have horrible triggers. Despite the trigger being heavier than a standard 1911, the P938 is still very manageable and I was able to get some excellent groups while shooting rapid fire at about 15 feet. Follow up shots seemed really easy with the low bore axis and the excellent combat sights. Also with the grip extension, I found this gun to be very comfortable in the hand.

Sure the gun is expensive but it is an all metal gun that comes stock with siglite night sights and it helps that the p938 is the best looking pocket pistol IMO :smile:

Swag
03-17-13, 18:23
I'm not a pocket carry kind of guy (against it really) but I would think a smoothed out, hammerless J-Frame the best option out there.

Up1911fan
03-17-13, 18:28
I recently bought a Kahr CM9 to fill this role. Only have 150 rounds through it so far, but hasn't malfunctioned so far. Still need's several hundred rounds before i'll carry it, luckily we still have a ton of snow and 20 degree weather.

DWood
03-17-13, 18:46
There is little Ruger love on M4Carbine but my LC9 with the Galloway Precision trigger connector and hammer is reliable, very shootable, and a very easy gun to pocket carry. I have one in my cargo pocket now and hardly notice it.

Galloway will only modify the customer's hammer and trigger connector now since Ruger stopped selling them parts.

When Glock gives us a slim, 9 mm single stack, I will go with that.

NYH1
03-17-13, 18:50
My smaller pistols/handguns are a Smith & Wesson 380 Bodyguard, a Glock G26 9mm and Smith & Wesson M60 3" 357 Mag. I prefer my G26 then my M60. However, I carry the BG 380 when concealing is harder like the summer ect.

Mine BG 380 has the laser built into it. I think they all do. It's nice at night. Never used during the day. My wife and others that have shot my BG 380 don't like the trigger pull it has. It's never bothered me. I can get along with most trigger systems, YMMV.

Good luck, NYH1.

shaneinhisroom
03-17-13, 18:57
I would carry my shield in my Crossbreed in the the TX heat. Perfect little gun for summer carry IMO. It's too big, however, for pocket carry.

kmrtnsn
03-17-13, 19:08
The 340PD is the pinnacle of pocket gun development.

gtmtnbiker98
03-17-13, 19:59
I've tried it all and believe me, the no fuss J-frame is the answer.

DWood
03-17-13, 20:09

They are convenient, and I have several, but capacity and no quick reloading keeps mine in my safe.

kmrtnsn
03-17-13, 20:12
They are convenient, and I have several, but capacity and no quick reloading keeps mine in my safe.

Quick reloading of a J-Frame is just a matter of practice.

Magic_Salad0892
03-17-13, 20:16
A PPS would fit the bill wouldn't it?

DWood
03-17-13, 20:34
Quick reloading of a J-Frame is just a matter of practice.

Correct, but not as fast or with the capacity of a magazine reload unless you are Jerry Miculek running moon clips.

BioLayne
03-17-13, 21:19
the shield is not a straight up pocket gun (19 oz a bit much for that) BUT I have carried it in the pocket and am not uncomfortable doing so, but I prefer it in a holster OWB or IWB when I can

Roklok
03-17-13, 21:25
S&W J Frame Airweight.

CobraBG
03-17-13, 22:07
Another vote for the S&W J frame. I have both a 442 AirLite .38+P and a M&P 340 .357. Perfect for shorts and a T shirt.

davebee456
03-17-13, 22:31
I have tried it all and I love Kahr CM-9 9mm is a great answer,
I have 250 Rounds through it, I think thats enough to prove itself.

PD Sgt.
03-17-13, 22:33
While not a huge fan of pocket carry, I have been known to occasionally pocket carry a lightweight hammerless J frame in a Desantis Nemesis holster. Keeps the pistol fairly stable and upright, even in cargo pockets.

twistedcomrade
03-18-13, 05:01
S&W 638 for me in a pocket holster. It goes everywhere with me.

TacCommE21
03-18-13, 09:26
LCR. Fits in a pocket or in a small holster for deep concealment. I've carried it both ways during these lovely Lowcountry summers.

MontePR
03-18-13, 09:33
Another vote here for the LCR. Very low profile and a joy to shoot to my surprise.

skydivr
03-18-13, 09:41
Bodyguard...the Shield is just to big for me to pocket carry.

Insta-Gator
03-18-13, 18:12
I pocket carry J-frames and subcompact Glocks (26/27) in shorts and tee shirts. A shield would work for most folks, depending on size and fit of the shorts. There is little reason to go to smaller guns than these, but much to lose.

Also... Several multi-page threads on pocket carry, search term "pocket carry" with thread titles only:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118469
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54888
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27708
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21120

Do you carry a G27 in cargo shorts or IWB holster? I'm not personally comfortable with IWB and was wondering if the G27 would be too heavy in a cargo pocket or any other pocket for that matter.

DWood
03-18-13, 18:30
Do you carry a G27 in cargo shorts or IWB holster? I'm not personally comfortable with IWB and was wondering if the G27 would be too heavy in a cargo pocket or any other pocket for that matter.

I had one and don't consider it a gun that can be carried effectively in a pocket.

Insta-Gator
03-18-13, 19:05
My daily carry is a g27 in a Blackhawk. I've tried to put it in a pocket but consider it too heavy. I have a J frame .38 but hate to go back to only 5 shots.

DDXV
03-18-13, 20:31
Bodyguard .380. I find the trigger slightly better than the LCP and it has legitimate sights on it.

HES
03-18-13, 21:02
This subject always makes me curious. I live in the Tampa Bay Area and we have summer weather about 10 or so months out of the year. During those months my uniform of the day is normally cargo shorts, sandals, and an un-tucked shirt. I've never had a problem carrying a full sized pistol in an IWB holster. So the talk about pocket carry in the summer seems strange to me. I guess my question is why? I'm not criticizing the decision to carry something smaller, but I don't see summer as a condition that forces me to carry smaller.

aaron_c
03-18-13, 21:08
BG380 would be my choice for pocket carry. Especially if you were going with gym shorts of any sort or whatever...even my Kahr CM9 will drag any of my gym shorts just about to the ground.

Pi3
03-18-13, 21:22
SW J Frame w/ ct laser grip & apex trigger.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html

Ryno12
03-18-13, 21:24
BG380 would be my choice for pocket carry. Especially if you were going with gym shorts of any sort or whatever...even my Kahr CM9 will drag any of my gym shorts just about to the ground.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That's all I pretty much wear in the summer & the BG380 works great with them.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Free Agent
03-18-13, 21:27
For some of us it's about body type and the way we dress. I'm 5'8'' 155lbs and wear a size small t-shirt. Thy're not skin tight but not exactly baggy either. There is no way I can conceal my G17 with just a t-shirt.

This subject always makes me curious. I live in the Tampa Bay Area and we have summer weather about 10 or so months out of the year. During those months my uniform of the day is normally cargo shorts, sandals, and an un-tucked shirt. I've never had a problem carrying a full sized pistol in an IWB holster. So the talk about pocket carry in the summer seems strange to me. I guess my question is why? I'm not criticizing the decision to carry something smaller, but I don't see summer as a condition that forces me to carry smaller.

Snake_207
03-18-13, 22:13
My 3 "pocket pistols" are a LCP, 642, and a Shield.

I haven't had a chance to pocket carry the Shield in shorts yet, but I've pocket carried it in just about everything else except dress slacks with no problems. It actually pocket carries a bit better than the 642 since you don't have the cylinder bulge.

I have to be discrete at work, so a LCP in a wallet holster absolutely disappears in my back pocket.

Odglock
03-18-13, 23:13
I consider the shield, lc9 and g26 as a little too big for pocket carry. I tried the LCP but I'm not a fan of the .380. I tried the 642. Not a fan of the recoil and low capacity. I have settled on the kahr pm9. I'm much more accurate than with my j frames, better bullet, more capacity, faster reload.

skywalkrNCSU
03-18-13, 23:15
I love my Kahr PM9. Easy to pocket carry or get an IWB holster and it is like you don't even have a gun strapped to you. Sweet shooter too.

HES
03-18-13, 23:41
For some of us it's about body type and the way we dress. I'm 5'8'' 155lbs and wear a size small t-shirt. Thy're not skin tight but not exactly baggy either. There is no way I can conceal my G17 with just a t-shirt.
I can dig it. I've gone from 5'10 230# to about 185 to 190#. All my shirts are too big. I used to wear an XL untucked. Now I can get away with a L untucked.

coobie
03-19-13, 08:53
I have a shield IMHO it,s to large to pocket carry.My choice would be sig p-238(380 cal)or P938(9mm).coobie

T2C
03-19-13, 10:03
Whatever pocket pistol you decide to buy, I would suggest you buy something that won't snag on clothing when presenting the pistol.

Sometimes people don't consider that point until after they made their purchase and wind up modifying the pistol to prevent snagging. I have been down that road myself. Now I take it into consideration when looking at new pocket handguns.

Big A
03-19-13, 10:50

Agreed!

S&W J Frame Airweight.

Another vote for the S&W J frame. I have both a 442 AirLite .38+P and a M&P 340 .357. Perfect for shorts and a T shirt.

Substitute my 438 for your 442 and we have the same pocket carry guns.

If I leave the house in shorts that don't need a belt then one of my J-frames leaves with me.

You can't go wrong with a S&W J-frame. They take practice like all weapon systems and you need to know the guns limitations as well as your own.

I'm not a fan of the .380ACP as a defensive cartridge and even less of a fan of the light little mouse guns chambered for it. Too many reliablity issuse and not enough ass to the round itself for me to get interested in it.

Up1911fan
03-19-13, 11:48
I do like the J-Frame/LCR, but for me, the sights and trigger on the kahr make it much more shootable.

Trajan
03-19-13, 12:44
I'm not a fan of the .380ACP as a defensive cartridge and even less of a fan of the light little mouse guns chambered for it. Too many reliablity issuse and not enough ass to the round itself for me to get interested in it.

Aren't the 38 special and 380 virtually identical in ballistics?

Big A
03-19-13, 13:12
Aren't the 38 special and 380 virtually identical in ballistics?

They're close but 38 Special offers more options in bullet weights along with +P. And from my own first hand experience with the tiny little 380 pistols I have decided I have no use for one. I wouldn't want to get shot by one, but I have decided that there a better options for my personal defense needs.

380:
http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-Critical-Defense/

38 Special:
http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-110-gr-Critical-Defense/

38+P:
http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-P-110-gr-Critical-Defense/

Also worth your time:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

5POINT56
03-19-13, 15:29

I'd personally say the M&P 340CT would be the pinnacle. I own both.

A few improvements over the 340PD.

Tritium front sight
No lock (available)
Comes with CT's best J-Frame grips
Stainless cylinder v. titanium (slight added weight actually is a good thing here)
All black v. 2-tone (asthetics here, but I like it)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2iwaf54.jpg

a1fabweld
03-19-13, 16:23
I roll the LCP or XDS. Love them both.

kmrtnsn
03-19-13, 23:19
I'd personally say the M&P 340CT would be the pinnacle. I own both.

A few improvements over the 340PD.

Tritium front sight
No lock (available)
Comes with CT's best J-Frame grips
Stainless cylinder v. titanium (slight added weight actually is a good thing here)
All black v. 2-tone (asthetics here, but I like it)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2iwaf54.jpg

Not a fan of visible light lasers.

filthy phil
03-19-13, 23:42
G26 fairly loose pants and a shirt that partially covers the bulge

Guinnessman
03-20-13, 06:51
I have a Kahr PM9 that I have used the last year for pocket carry. When compared to a J-frame, the Kahr has a better trigger, better sights, and 2-3 rounds more capacity. However, the Kahr is slower to draw out of a pocket, and the J-frame fits my hands better than the PM9.

The verdict is still out for me on pocket carry. I like the simplicity of the J-frame. Buy an Apex trigger kit and you are done. No need to buy extra magazines or recoil springs. Just buy a pocket holster, ammo, and you are good to go.

Then practice, practice, practice.

5POINT56
03-20-13, 09:50
Not a fan of visible light lasers.

What's not to like about accuracy & speed on target advantages in a high stress situation that are impossible without a laser?

Bulletdog
03-20-13, 12:33
I know the OP requested pocket carry suggestions, but I'm with HES here. I've tried all sort of pocket carry options and never liked any of them. I wear shorts and a T-shirt nearly every day and a Glock 26 or 27 is no problem to conceal in a decent IWB. It also keeps my pockets free for other things that I need to carry and if I have to run, I don't have a two pound chunk of metal banging around in my shorts.

Plumber237
03-20-13, 14:36
Another vote for the Ruger LCR...I'm not a big fan of pocket carry either, but my LCR in a DeSantis IWB holster disappears in shorts and a t shirt. This is about my only choice for summer as nearly anything prints bad on me, I'm one boney mf'er.

nimdabew
03-20-13, 15:35

It's a reason to buy another gun. Duh.

Bulletdog
03-20-13, 16:58
It's a reason to buy another gun. Duh.

VERY good point.

tawm
03-20-13, 18:28
I adore my CM9. Despite my thin frame it fits fine in two pairs of shorts I've got.

kmrtnsn
03-20-13, 23:58
What's not to like about accuracy & speed on target advantages in a high stress situation that are impossible without a laser?

Have you used yours on three-dimensional targets with varying depth, like multiple layers of colored clothing, in bright sunlight? At 25 yards outdoors on a similar target and in similar conditions, or just on flat paper or cardboard? Faster or slower than just centering the sights?

RagweedZulu
03-21-13, 00:32
I know the OP requested pocket carry suggestions, but I'm with HES here. I've tried all sort of pocket carry options and never liked any of them. I wear shorts and a T-shirt nearly every day and a Glock 26 or 27 is no problem to conceal in a decent IWB. It also keeps my pockets free for other things that I need to carry and if I have to run, I don't have a two pound chunk of metal banging around in my shorts.

Well said sir. I wear the 27 in our 110 degree summers without a problem. Usually AIWB. I don't understand the desire to carry a weak sd cartridge (.380) in a tiny, less than reliable pistol (like the LCP). Several guys in my squad ran out and bought them when they first came out. I'm pretty sure every one of them has had feeding issues when they brought them out to my range.

You might have to dress around a G27 more carefully, but when the shit starts to fly, you'll be glad you have a serious combat pistol and caliber to see you through.

5POINT56
03-21-13, 17:34
Have you used yours on three-dimensional targets with varying depth, like multiple layers of colored clothing, in bright sunlight? At 25 yards outdoors on a similar target and in similar conditions, or just on flat paper or cardboard? Faster or slower than just centering the sights?

Yeah, as a matter of fact I have. No issues in seeing the dot, particularly due to the realities of practical self defense distances being rather short.

A laser on a handgun (not all of mine have them, but they're uniquely useful on J-Frames), is similar in some ways to an RDS on a carbine. Speed and accuracy advantages.

With a somewhat significant advantage going to the laser on a handgun, because you can literally have your gun at your hip and fire it acceptably accurately without ever having to line up the sights at all.

Perps choose the time and place....and will create any disadvantages they can for the intended victim. Given the opportunity, I would certainly raise the handgun and line my shots up as I've been trained, however things don't always go as planned.

A laser can assist greatly in maintaining cover/concealment, with offering less of ones body as a target for the perp, while giving up nothing in accuracy. Unconventional shooting positions are also easier and faster to shoot from accurately.

The following is a quote formerly posted on the Vickers Tactical web site by Larry Vickers:

Visible Lasers & CTC Lasergrips
"As many of you know I am a consultant for Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I am sure some of you will quit reading right now expecting this to be a “puff piece” talking about how great they are and not admitting any downside. Those of you in that category certainly don’t know me very well. The following is the reality of visible lasers & CTC Lasergrips according to Larry Vickers with no punches pulled.

I used to think, like many others, that pistol lasers were a joke. Fortunately for me I have not had to eat as much crow over this topic as my good friend Ken Hackathorn but I have eaten my fair share. After giving them an honest assessment here is what it really boils down to: a laser on a pistol offers much the same advantages as red dot reflex sights on a carbine or SMG. Under stress shooting scenarios they make shooting a handgun a much easier task; they are a very useful tool in the toolbox.

I highlight CTC lasers in my night fire portion of my handgun instruction along with night sights and white light principles and techniques. At night and in conditions of limited visibility they are nothing short of awesome; they make accurate handgun shooting easier than any other sighting system currently on the market. Don’t get me wrong, night sights and white light have their place but a visible laser at night rules. Period. Anyone who has had one of my classes or been taught by Ken Hackathorn can attest to that. They dramatically improve the shooters ability to get accurate hits at night. Of course like anything else visible lasers have pros and cons and we will highlight those in detail.

1) Where and when to use lasers – a rule of thumb is any time you have any degree of difficulty seeing your pistol sights then a visible laser will be an advantage. For instance coming into a building from outside even during the day the laser will be of value indoors. Out in bright daylight I prefer my iron sights and find the laser a bit of a distraction. Anytime you combine low or reduced visibility with shooting on the move or unconventional shooting positions the laser is a distinct advantage. Police have found that visible lasers to be a distinct advantage while using a shield; that would fall into the unconventional shooting position category mentioned above. They are also excellent training aids for watching shooter trigger control as any movement during the trigger squeeze will show up on target. When first using the laser shooters will try and eliminate all movement and early on this can cause shooters snatching or jerking the trigger. Once you learn to accept your wobble zone (which is now more visible due to the visible laser on target) then fast and accurate shooting comes more naturally. Once mastered you can shoot faster and more accurate under low light conditions than you ever could with regular pistol sights or even night sights for that matter.

2) Special Considerations with lasers – As a battery operated device occasionally they will need new batteries. Crimson Trace advertises a 4 hour continuous run time on their laser grips. That is sufficient for most use as I can attest; I have not had to change any batteries to date. Oil, solvents, water and dust can all play a part in making the visible laser less than 100% functional. Because of this they do occasionally need maintenance and cleaning. I know that is a shocker to many but it is probably a good idea once in awhile to make sure your pistol is properly cleaned, lubricated, and maintained. That would include your visible laser aiming device. I am a believer in having your laser separate from your white light for a couple reasons. You will always have an enhanced night fighting capability even when your white light is removed and you can have serious issues with retaining zero depending on the light/laser mounting system. For these reasons and others I prefer Crimson Trace Lasergrips over accessory rail mounted light/laser units. One downside is CTC does not make Lasergrips for every service pistol on the market so depending on your gun you may not have an option.

3) Durability and reliability – CTC has sold thousands of M9 Beretta Laser Grips to the US Military. They have been received with overwhelming positive feedback. Remember the M9 does not even have night sights so the Lasergrips add a low light capability that simply did not exist before. This is a huge advantage and many of the troops appreciate it. The visible laser is also very useful for crowd control as the “red dot” seems to cross all language and cultural barriers. As we know combat is the ultimate test bed and CTC has taken lessons learned in the sandbox and is moving forward with a true milspec M9 Lasergrip: water and dust proof. It is being developed as this is written so it is too soon to project a date when they will be available.

My personal favorite CTC Lasergrips are the S&W J frame versions (every J frame on the planet should have them; it is nothing short of a revolutionary shooting aid on that gun), the model 401 M1911 version, and the M9 Beretta Lasergrips. I use and endorse all three of these. That is not to say these are the only ones worth using just that they are my favorites. Another little trick is to send the plastic Lasergrips to David Bowie (not the singer) at Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page for his superb stippling. This makes them less slippery and because of the way Dave stipples them it actually enhances the appearance of the grips. I was the first to start this trend with David and I would not use a set without it. Highly recommended.

I will close this by saying if you have not tried a visible laser you should. Especially if CTC makes a pair of Lasergrips for your favorite blaster. Remember they are meant to augment the standard pistol sights, not replace them. They are simply another tool in the tool box."

Another perspective:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/duty-gear/articles/1240834-The-J-Frame-solution/

"<snip> The Laser Solution to the J-Frame Solution

Brent Purucker of the Smith & Wesson Academy and I prefer different J-Frame models, but we do agree on the fact that the Crimson Trace Lasergrip provides a huge advantage as far as self-defense sights for the J-frame are concerned. Not only does the laser compensate for the small sights and short-sight-radius on the little guns, but in the situations in which the handgun—and the J-frame specifically—is likely to be used: close quarter, high-stress self defense—the laser allows not only target-focused shooting, but shooting from non-traditional positions. The former is a necessity in those circumstances, while the latter is a distinct possibility.

Lasers were dismissed by many people when they first came out as toys, and worse, actually dangerous additions to your handgun. Why the specialized teams who train full-time and who actually go into harms way on a regular basis used them was never adequately addressed by these early nay-sayers. And indeed, the enlightened world has come around to the laser over the last decade. Virtually every single competent trainer — famous and otherwise — who has actually given them an honest try has come to advocate them. If lasers aren’t such a big advantage, why are they not allowed at so many competitive events? And finally, there is no, even potential, disadvantage of a laser that can’t be countered by “Use your iron sights—they’re still there!” <snip>

iainmcphersn
03-21-13, 18:40
The G26 works for me. I wear loose pants and make sure the pockets are deep. I made the mistake of buying jeans with shallow pockets and they went right to Goodwill.

I know I'm not typical, but it can be done.

dontblink
03-21-13, 19:32
Ruger LC9. Hands down the best subcompact I've ever owned.

Regret selling it every day.

Ready.Fire.Aim
03-21-13, 23:50
S&W model 638 J-Frame .38 revolver. CTC extended grips help. I carry mine in the front pocket in a wallet holster.

RFA

jasonhgross
03-28-13, 12:08

Agreed. In dynamic drills, the laser was an impediment, and I assume things will be very dynamic indeed if the Jframe is called into usage. The sights, if trained for, are adequate for the intended purpose of the firearm. I ended up selling mine. Definately did not work at all like a red dot OR a front sight, both of which I have many hours of training and practice with. The ashley express sights on the 340 M&P were much more effective for me at least. The only purpose I saw for the laser, was in dryfire.

To the main topic, Jframe for me, after trying nearly all the aforementioned pistols (LCP, PF9, PM9, .32 kel tec) I went back to where I started. Organic shape of the jframe, ability to get a good firing grip while in the pocket, adequate cartridge, and total reliability were massive assets when compared to the only drawbacks (size and additional weight over some of the aforementoned pistols). My choices are a 340M&P and 442.

Amp Mangum
03-28-13, 12:49
S&W 642 in a DeSantis pocket holster.

john232629
03-28-13, 13:16
J-frame FTW. Although i want a shield.

Hdog83
05-01-13, 15:30
Normally, I go down as far as a G26 IWB in a Raven VG2, but I've found that, with suit-and-tie, it produces an uncomfortably noticeable bulge above the belt line, even if I blouse out the (tucked in) dress shirt. I guess it's just my body shape/type. This doesn't matter when I'm up and around with the suit jacket on, but that's about 5% of the time in the NPE, usually. Also, the VG2 belt loop doesn't match the rest of my clothes, and sticks out like a sore thumb. Unlike the rest of my travels, where I happily IWB a G19, getting "made" here would be catastrophic in my situation, so failure is simply not an option.

I don't want to try to pocket carry the G26 - I just think it would be too heavy and bulky to work with dress suit pants (and more than a bit risky, ND-wise). I also don't want to do off-body carry (briefcase), so I'm thinking of getting a J-frame and going the "junk carry" (SmartCarry) route. Is this a crazy idea? Should I look into pocket carry instead? What about ankle carry? Belly band?

I've never owned a revolver, much less a J-frame, although I did fire a CT model J-frame at an IDPA BUG match a few years ago. I'm in the early stages of research, so I don't know much yet, including what I don't know. All advice welcome!

CobraBG
05-01-13, 16:07
I often am faced with carrying while wearing a suit and the jacket isn't always on. Like you said it's important that it is not noticeable.

A S&W J Frame in a pocket holster (I use a DeSantis Nemesis) is a good choice. I carry a M&P 340 .357 in my right front pocket with no problem and feel secure that it is hidden. I also like the convenience of being able to move the gun and holster in and out of my pocket quickly and easily. Drawing from the pocket is easy. Any other means of concealment would seem to be more awkward to draw.

When standing casually and talking with people I often find my hand in my pocket over the butt of the gun... well hidden and readily available. The only times I carry the J Frame is when a Glock IWB is hard to conceal.

Schmidtty
05-01-13, 22:24
...snip...

I don't want to try to pocket carry the G26 - I just think it would be too heavy and bulky to work with dress suit pants (and more than a bit risky, ND-wise). I also don't want to do off-body carry (briefcase), so I'm thinking of getting a J-frame and going the "junk carry" (SmartCarry) route. Is this a crazy idea? Should I look into pocket carry instead? What about ankle carry? Belly band?

...snip... All advice welcome!

I agree the 26 can be a bit bulky in your pocket depending on the pants. That said, I've had great luck pocket carrying my 26 with a pocket holster from Aholster. It's the best I've used and I've tried an Ahern leather and a Galco leather. The kydex from Aholster is absolutely the best of the three I've used. Not a bad price either. Worth trying IMHO. But, it still may be a bit on the big side for dress pants.

JMHO.

Edit: If you have them, lose the pinky extensions. They don't help with printing at all.

QuietOne
05-02-13, 19:49
Smith 638 in a RKBA holster. Absolute best pocket holster going. Thousands of presentations and only once has it come out still on the gun. I have one for my G26 as well. I can have my hand on it and no one knows. You have to own one J frame at least. Really its only drawback is lack of onboard ammo capacity. I think it has a good power to size ratio. 15.3 ounces loaded I think. I'll have to weigh mine.

RogerinTPA
05-02-13, 21:43

Agreed. Since the overwhelming majority of my training is from drawing my pistol from a IWB holster, and years of practicing that way, I'll stick with it. Fumbling for a pocket pistol you've had no training with, in an actual BG encounter, does not appeal to me at all. Having said that, it is a training issue, but one that may lead me away from what I am accustomed to, falling to the level of training and all that...

Devildawg2531
05-02-13, 22:00
Summer months in GA I carry a G27 in IWB, OWB or pocket carry depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going. Tee shirts and shorts are no problem at all to CCW. I frequently don't carry extra mags in warm weather (I know I should).

denn1911
05-03-13, 19:51
I carry a full-size pistol IWB in the summer. In the rare occasions that I have to pocket carry, my 340PD gets the nod. If going for pocket carry, a J Frame or a Shield is a solid choice.

RBid
05-03-13, 21:53
If I had to pocket carry, I'd go with a S&W 642. I'm generally against pocket carry, though.

sjc3081
05-03-13, 22:03

Bingo

bighawk
05-09-13, 22:04
s&w jframe is the best for me

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-10-13, 07:35
J-frame

After decades of trying to make other solutions work I found the old ways were best. Get an Airweight and practice.

If you insist on an autoloader (which most folks will eventually stop carrying the mag for making its seeming advantage into a disadvantage when you now have a gun that's number one difference from a J--frame is the ability to dump its mag by accident) then get a Kahr or one of the copy guns that other manufacturers have developed. With a very thin holster (nylon, etc) it can be carried in the pocket and it is easy to shoot and can be gotten in real calibers.

moonshot
05-10-13, 07:51
Not a big fan of pocket carry, but when I do it's a 642-1. I'm thinking of switching to a 640-1 for added control and frame strength, but not sure if it will be too heavy.

ST911
05-10-13, 08:43
Not a big fan of pocket carry, but when I do it's a 642-1. I'm thinking of switching to a 640-1 for added control and frame strength, but not sure if it will be too heavy.

The 640 is only slightly heavier than the 60 I pocket carried, which is ~8oz heavier than the 642. It doesn't make a lot of difference in jeans or casual wear. It is more noticeable in pants and suits with finer, light weight material.

moonshot
05-10-13, 10:52
Thanks Skintop. That is actually very helpful information. I had originally purchased the 642 for ankle carry, for those times when my attire didn't allow for my Comptac IWB and G26 (somewhat dressy, no covering garment, no untucked shirt).

I have begun to look into a tuckable IWB as a way to carry my 642 when I'm in shorts and can't use my ankle rig. If this works out, I may switch from ankle to tuckable IWB for any time I can't carry my G26, and therefore the extra weight of a 640 might be a good thing.

I would prefer a tuckable for my G26, but I have not found one that adequately hides the grip. I am hoping the more concealable j-frame contour will work here.

RepeatDefender
05-11-13, 13:26
Kahr PM9 every summer for about 4-5 years now.

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 01:31
LCP if I'm wearing pants its with me. Its proven to be very reliable and accurate. People complain about the trigger, but it feels like a DA trigger, its heavy but far from unmanagable

aaron_c
05-12-13, 08:30
Kahr PM9 every summer for about 4-5 years now.

Do you pocket carry that? I carry my CM9 when I can't carry my Glock 19, but I can't really pocket carry it.

Psalms144.1
05-12-13, 17:52
Do you pocket carry that? I carry my CM9 when I can't carry my Glock 19, but I can't really pocket carry it.
I have absolutely no problems pocket carrying the PM9 - I use a minimalist holster and ONLY pocket carry when I'm wearing shorts with largish pockets.

But, realistically, I pocket carry maybe .5% of the time I'm armed, since I simply see no advantage to it over the PM9 concealed in a "tuckable" IWB holster.

Regards,

Kevin

ryr8828
05-12-13, 19:28
Finally got around to shooting my beretta nano today. It's the smallest effective firearm I own. I have a p3at .380 but it's a .380. The p3at is definitely functional and will definitely fit in my pocket.

The nano shoots good. It didn't punish me like the pf9 I sold. Very comfortable to shoot but I think it's right on the edge of pocket carry.

I love my xds .45 but it's not a pocket gun. The nano is a little smaller.

Chefjon
05-12-13, 21:36
I just came up with the same need. I went LCR .38.

The KelTec PF9 was the only other gun I ever had that was 'pocket-able'. It's a shame they make such crap, because it was awesome for a while. I wouldn't use one as a doorstop now.

I couldn't pocket the Shield and I didn't like the LC9. Ruger puts too many doo-dads on their semi's for my liking.

I won't go .380, ever. I've never seen good data on any load, from any source. The only reason for a LCP/BG380/P3AT would be if back-pocket carry was the only option, imo.

The whole reason I'm now on this forum is I was linked to this (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914) by someone on GOTX. I can't pocket a J frame in my jeans, and the LCR trigger is the best revolver trigger I've ever shot, so I went that way.

I use my LCR as a "constant carry" gun (especially around the house, day to day)and to supplement the G19 that frequently has to stay in the car. I won't use it as a stand-alone, but YMMV.

TL/DR: Don't go .380.

a1fabweld
05-12-13, 22:00
I carry my LCP loaded with 102 grn Golden Sabres most often in the warmer months. I don't dress like a homeboy rapper with baggy saggy stuff. My clothes fit me and with a T-shirt and cargo shorts there ain't much room for a big gun.

RepeatDefender
05-15-13, 09:30

Yes, I pocket carry the PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis.

jb7304
05-18-13, 10:45
I pocket carried a S&W 442 for several years until I got my Kahr CM9. Now with 442 sits in the safe.

John Hearne
05-25-13, 16:28
I don't see summer as a reason for pocket carry. I've lived in Mississippi for 12+ years and have managed to carry a full-size service pistol 99.999999% of the time. The only change I make for the summer is to transition to an IWB - a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 in my case.

The compelling reason for pocket carry is clothing. As soon as your shirt has to be tucked in AND you can't continually wear a cover garment (need to take the suit coat off) then pocket carry becomes a viable option.

My current pocket gun is a Kahr P9-Covert. I get real sights, some capacity (6+1), and an adequate cartridge. (.380 is not enough for me) I carried a J-frame for a number of years and find the small semi-autos to be much better.

When it comes to pocket carry, you have to buy your pants with it in mind. When I'm thinking about buying a pair of pants, I make a fist in the pocket and try to pull my hand out. If the hand doesn't come out easily, then you need to find another style. The fist test will also make sure that the pocket is deep enough for your pistol.

The other caveat to pocket is that you have to access the pistol early. The idea of ramming your hand into your pocket mid-fight and extracting a pistol is a bit unreasonable. If you can start the fight with a firing grip on the gun, you will be in much better shape. I've found that a pocket pistol, starting with a firing grip, is just as fast as a belt holster with concealment garment.

FWIW, I really wanted the S&W Shield to work for me. It is just a smidge bigger than the Kahr but the size difference is enough to ruin it as a pocket gun.

pinzgauer
05-25-13, 17:24
Kahr P40 for several years now

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

SteveS
05-25-13, 17:34
Been needing to shoot hoards of bad guys lately? A J frame type or a kahr p or c m may do the job for you.

Eurodriver
05-25-13, 18:12
My S&W 642 was stolen today.

I need another pocket gun, and I'd prefer something slimmer than the 642.

Are Kahrs the rage now?

Ed L.
05-25-13, 18:34
When it comes to pocket carry, you have to buy your pants with it in mind. When I'm thinking about buying a pair of pants, I make a fist in the pocket and try to pull my hand out. If the hand doesn't come out easily, then you need to find another style. The fist test will also make sure that the pocket is deep enough for your pistol.

I've actually had a taylor deepen the pockets of my pants.

FWIW, I really wanted the S&W Shield to work for me. It is just a smidge bigger than the Kahr but the size difference is enough to ruin it as a pocket gun.

The grip of the Shield is too long for pocket carry. I go with a Kahr PM-9 or a S&W 640 in a pocket holster with nothing else in that pocket.

pinzgauer
05-25-13, 19:19
Kahrs the rage now?

No, shields and LCP's/LCR's appear to be the rage.... Kahrs are old school at this point.

Mine just keeps working, has a very smooth trigger like a DA Revolver. Also very thin/flat.

I love mine but you'll hear some hate. I can run plates with mine very well, but my first pistol was a SW model 13 as a teen and I shot the fool out that thing DA. If all you've shot is single action strikers you'll go mad!

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics