PDA

View Full Version : M&P15 Swap outs

Jeff5886
03-17-13, 18:09
Hello all,

I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M&P15 with an EOtech XPS2 for about 1300. I have dumped a bit into it so far making it my own when it comes it add-ons and accessories. My question is this: For the M&P15, I had to be military/LEO to buy it so I don't know if that means its a specific model or not, but what I want to know is what parts should be upgraded to it as far as internals go? I am not talking about buttstocks and handguards; more-so things like the BCG or Buffer spring etc.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15895&d=1363561763

C4IGrant
03-17-13, 18:24
If the gun is used, install a new buffer spring. I would add an H2 buffer to it.

C4

Mac5.56
03-17-13, 18:25
Where are you located that you have to be LEO/Military to purchase an MP15?

As far as the internals go, I am not sure what year yours was made but I had some issues with my chamber, and my gun went back to SW to be reamed out to 5.56. I also upgraded the spring on the ejector, and put an H-Buffer into it. Other then some crappy Romanian surplus ammo I haven't had a failure since.

Jeff5886
03-17-13, 18:31
I bought it brand new and I am in a military town so I don't know the specifics of why the rifle required mil/LEO. I do know that the buttstock I bought was made for a mil spec size buffer so should I swap out for a h-buffer?

Also, thanks for the replies...anything else besides the h-buffer?

boomhower
03-17-13, 18:35
I bought it brand new and I am in a military town so I don't know the specifics of why the rifle required mil/LEO. I do know that the buttstock I bought was made for a mil spec size buffer so should I swap out for a h-buffer?

Also, thanks for the replies...anything else besides the h-buffer?

Likely was for a discount rather than something different for the model.

Mac5.56
03-17-13, 18:36
Grant knows way more then I do. I run an H buffer on my gun which has a test sample of 1.

Grant is a well respected gun smith, and industry professional who sells these guns all over the country. If he says H2 it must be based on experience.

mkmckinley
03-17-13, 18:40
First rule of getting a military discounts is you don't talk about getting a military discount.

To answer your question don't make any permanent modification to the gun if you don't want to have S&W ask questions if you ever need warranty repair. I have an M&P-15 and it's a fine rifle but I don't plan on modifying it as that would void one of the industries best warranties. Adding an H2 buffer as per Grant's advice is easy to reverse.

Jeff5886
03-17-13, 18:43
Thanks everyone. I'll pick up an H2 from BCM unless anyone has any better recommendations. Its new so ill keep the buffer spring and just swap out the buffer itself. Any other recommendations?

mkmckinley
03-17-13, 18:47
Move the foregrip out toward the front and get some metal BUIS.

Suwannee Tim
03-17-13, 18:49
How many shots is a buffer spring good for?

Jeff5886
03-18-13, 03:44
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Redbeardsong
03-18-13, 06:43
Shoot it.

C4IGrant
03-18-13, 08:29
How many shots is a buffer spring good for?

Depends. Have to measure it.

C4

125 mph
03-18-13, 09:58
If the gun is used, install a new buffer spring. I would add an H2 buffer to it.

C4

What buffer spring do you recommend with the H2 buffer?

C4IGrant
03-18-13, 10:17
What buffer spring do you recommend with the H2 buffer?

On the cheap side: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-SPRNG

On the better side: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=25006

BCM buffers: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-BUFF

C4

Jeff5886
03-18-13, 10:37
do you have to swap out the buffer spring with the new h2 buffer?

any other input on any other parts before I place my order?

bookin
03-18-13, 11:44
do you have to swap out the buffer spring with the new h2 buffer?

any other input on any other parts before I place my order?

No, but if you want to, a sprinco blue spring is a good upgrade.

BillyJack2012
03-20-13, 07:04
If it's new, I don't understand why you are swapping out anything. Have you shot it yet? Anything you are trying to correct? What ammo are you or do you plan to shoot?

C4IGrant
03-20-13, 08:13
If it's new, I don't understand why you are swapping out anything. Have you shot it yet? Anything you are trying to correct? What ammo are you or do you plan to shoot?

Normally I would say you are right, but not in this case.

S&W AR's are over gassed (just like RRA, BM, DPMS, etc). We know this for a fact so it is ok to do some minor updgrades to it.

C4

M_Rapp
03-20-13, 11:48

S&W AR's are over gassed (just like RRA, BM, DPMS, etc). We know this for a fact so it is ok to do some minor updgrades to it.

C4
Grant,

Have you had a chance to look at the newer S&Ws to see if this is still the case? Specifically the newer Magpul Spec ones??

Thanks

125 mph
03-20-13, 11:54

C4

Does the factory bcg make this even worse? Is the h2 buffer enough to counter that, or should I look into a bcm bcg (whenever those are available again) for my m&p?

C4IGrant
03-20-13, 11:54
Grant,

Have you had a chance to look at the newer S&Ws to see if this is still the case? Specifically the newer Magpul Spec ones??

Thanks

Look? No. Talk to S&W? Yes.

C4

M_Rapp
03-20-13, 11:58
Look? No. Talk to S&W? Yes.

C4
So based on that conversation you would recommend the same H Buffer and Spring for the Magpul Spec rifle, correct?

C4IGrant
03-20-13, 12:15
So based on that conversation you would recommend the same H Buffer and Spring for the Magpul Spec rifle, correct?

Yes.

C4

Serial_killer
03-20-13, 12:44
... I do know that the buttstock I bought was made for a mil spec size buffer so should I swap out for a h-buffer?

The heavy buffer has absolutely nothing to do with mil spec vs commercial spec buffer tube, the ONLY DIFFERENCE that makes is the diameter of stock you buy, the heavy buffer would be recommended regardless of mil spec vs commercial.

The mil spec RE also has nothing to do with the ID they required for you to purchase it, that was all about price. Anyone can buy "mil-spec" it doesn't at all mean its NFA or an actual military FA/select fire weapon, it just means its made to the same exact size and standards as what the military specifies their weapons be manufactured to.

Like they mentioned when you put in the heavy buffer you need to put in a new (extra power) spring to compliment it, other than that start feeding it rounds, I always recommend you don't do any mods till you have AT LEAST 500 rounds threw any new gun (other than sights and/or hand guard of your preference). The only reason I think it would be ok to go ahead wih the H buffer/spring now is because of the known over-gassed issue. Not only do you need to become acclimated with how that specific weapon functions (you might have shot 100 AR15's in your life and be able to strip it and put it back together blind folded but you haven't shot THAT one and learned its personality yet) Plus if you have a failure within that short amount of time there is no reason the repair should be on your dime, and it could indicate a bigger problem.

M_Rapp
03-20-13, 13:14
Yes.
C4

Thanks!

Does the factory bcg make this even worse? Is the h2 buffer enough to counter that, or should I look into a bcm bcg (whenever those are available again) for my m&p?

I think S&W BCGs are good to go. ?? Grant was selling a few of them earlier this month on the "What's In" thread, and if I recall he felt they were quality.

Jeff5886
03-23-13, 14:38
Would the h2 buffer be to heavy for simple range .223 ammo?

MiamiCracker
03-23-13, 14:51
Would the h2 buffer be to heavy for simple range .223 ammo?

I put a Sprinco Blue spring, Spikes T2 buffer, and a BCM BCG in my M&P OR and it runs on .223 (Remington UMC, Federal AE,etc)