PDA

View Full Version : AK Recoil

HELLSING
03-17-13, 23:15
I was just browsing online, looking at different stocks other than the Magpul stock when my Vltor adapter gets here and I ran across this:

http://www.centuryarms.com/indexe17d.html?p=1188

Anyone have this stock or run across someone who does? I'm jsut curious if it really works.

Jippo
03-18-13, 10:21
IMHO it is irrelevant if it works or not. 7,62x39 hasn't got that much recoil to start with. 500 round session with a steel buttplate should be just fine. If it isn't, you are doing something wrong.

1911-A1
03-18-13, 11:57
Even low recoil is still recoil, and we'll always be trying to find a way to minimize it. I don't think this product is the answer, though.

The guy in the video is getting the hell beat out of him even with this contraption. True, he has terrible posture for recoil management in the first place, but I don't see this thing helping with recovery or sight alignment.

It seems a good muzzle device and maybe a pad on the stock would be a better option. There are also recoil buffers you can install behind the bolt carrier, but I have heard people speculate this increases wear when the bolt slams back into battery harder than it normally would.

Best to avoid Century altogether anyway. Even ordering from their website is a nightmare. Do they still have the $75 "small order fee" if your order is under $100?

Doc. Holiday
03-19-13, 17:28
I would have to agree. Get a good muzzle break and you should be fine. If it's not enough for you, then I would get a butt pad.

CornCod
03-19-13, 20:02
Hmmm. I am hardly "Mr. Macho-Man", but AK and SKS recoil doesn't bother me in the least. Now full-size .30 class cartridges are a different matter. After about 15 or so rounds down the pipe in 8mm Mauser, .303 British and 7.62X54 I begin to "feel" the recoil.

HELLSING
03-19-13, 20:16
The recoil doesn't really bother me. I'm always a sucker for things like this and was genuinely curious if it really worked.

I'll admit, I absolutely HATE, and I mean down right HATE the original AK stock.... it's long, narrow, and just feels uncomfortable which is why I plan on using the Magpul stock instead.

I never knew a muzzle break could, or would have an effect on recoil. What do you suggest? I just have the stock break, which came on the SAR-1.

HELLSING
03-19-13, 22:52
Well ... I did a little research and from a FEW website/firearm blogs, the "experts" are saying that the "TAPCO AK Slot Muzzle Device" is the best break for flash/recoil reduction.....

It's only $14.99.... I think I might try it out just to see what the hell happens.

Dave_M
03-19-13, 23:21
Hardware solution for a software problem.

You can shoot an AR like an AK but you can't necessarily do the opposite (and the results can be comical)...

ETA: There is no free lunch.

This stock, and others like it (such as the Knoxx shotgun stocks) may indeed reduce felt recoil but with increased muzzle flip (as shown in the video--if I had a student with that much flip on a -stock- gun there would be some more involved instruction about proper recoil management. All that talk about quicker shots on target is just that--talk. Show me the shot clock.

Muzzle breaks can also decrease felt recoil but once again, there is a down-side: decreased flash hiding capability and increased noise/blast to shooters on your left and right (I would rather run a team shoot house with a partner with a 10.5" CBR and an A2 than a 16" gun with a Surefire brake). I have a picture someplace with something like 3' flames shooting out either side of a 74' brake...

Custom loads and adjustable gas systems can help mitigate felt recoil/muzzle climb but that's a whole other can of worms and is very dependent on ones reliability requirements, ammunition availability, terminal ballistic requirements, and specific weapons systems. As such, I won't go down this road quite yet.

What one can do is tailor their stances to individual weapons/calibers. The higher the frequency of fire and the higher the stand of accuracy, the more physical work one has to perform.

Mr blasty
03-19-13, 23:25
Well ... I did a little research and from a FEW website/firearm blogs, the "experts" are saying that the "TAPCO AK Slot Muzzle Device" is the best break for flash/recoil reduction.....

It's only $14.99.... I think I might try it out just to see what the hell happens.

They've never heard of battle comp

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2