PDA

View Full Version : SBR Build

seniorsniper
03-18-08, 18:53
Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and have a question on a build for an SBR. I have a Rock River with with the 16' barrel on it and want to replace it with an 11.5' from Bushmaster. Will this work or should I seek some other manufacturer for my new barrel. I am aware of the ATF form 1 paperwork that's involved. Just some info. on barrels please. Thanks!

bspring
03-19-08, 15:33
Have AR15barrels.com cut your current one down. He does great work, I think mine was about $50 to have it cut, crowned and rethreaded.

Bill

fivepointoh
03-19-08, 17:44
Have AR15barrels.com cut your current one down. He does great work, I think mine was about $50 to have it cut, crowned and rethreaded.

Bill

I can't recommend on an upper for you to go w/ but I would stay clear of Randall and AR15Barrels. I'd go to ADCO or someone else or buy a reputable factory short barrel.

There has been way too much crap go on w/ Randall for me to trust him or have him hold my money for as long as some ppl have waited.

I don't think Randall is a bad person but just took on too much of a work load for the size of his business.

Just my $.02 though.

SuicideHz
03-19-08, 18:17
Pat you WILL be asked to cite REAL personal experience in order to keep your post the way it is...

I CAN say that Steve at ADCO does a great job machining barrels.

I personally would use him.

fivepointoh
03-19-08, 18:26
I will post them all if mods/staff allow me to post links to TOS.

Lots of proof there.

All you gotta do is go to AR15barrels.com industry section and see for yourself....although you know what I'm talking about. :p

+1 to ADCO. I've sent work off to them before, great comm., great turn around time, and great work. Competitive pricing too. Plus they post quite a bit on the various gun boards which makes me content putting a "face" per say to a business.

ETA: I see TOS got rid of him....scratch looking in the Industry section.

Read up yourself here. I'll search some more but this is all I could really find on short notice. It does a nice job of summing it up.

Mods/Staff please understand this is for informational purposes only and to advise caution to the OP when dealing w/ Randall at AR15barrels.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=367867

SuicideHz
03-19-08, 18:49
No, you could at least paraphrase one or two examples if you want to say something. You can't say "no" and leave it up to someone to go find out what "no" means...

Voodoochild
03-19-08, 19:05
If you two are arguing over AR15Barrels then yes he has had some serious issues with work not done and parts never returned. It was all over TOS go with ADCO

fivepointoh
03-19-08, 19:16
No, you could at least paraphrase one or two examples if you want to say something. You can't say "no" and leave it up to someone to go find out what "no" means...

Here ya go....

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
Randall has had some issues...

[V]

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:

Originally Posted By NorthernBornRebel:
What happened? I had a barrel threaded by him and he did an awesome job at a great price.
While he was doing great jobs turning around barrel threading jobs, he had custom barrel orders that were old and getting older. Then he started to fall behind on the barrel threading jobs too.

Another good guy who found a way to make some extra cash in his spare time and ended up a victim of his own success.

Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:
Part time would be good way to describe it...he never did get back to me about the work I asked him to do.[:/] I went elsewhere.

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By PAULFREHLEY:
So he did get in contact with everyone, and everyone's been taken care of / paid back?

As far as I know there are outstanding orders that have not been completed and for which he has not returned the money. Randall does usually get everything done, but I think he's in over his head with back work at this point.

He did e-mail me last month indicating that he would eventually take care of all his outstanding orders.

Originally Posted By QuikSilver:
I've been waiting for a custom barrel for over 2 years now.

I paid in full at the time the order was placed (January 2006).

I don't know what to think anymore. If he is as honest as everyone says, why wouldn't he at least call me, email me or send me a note saying "I haven't forgotten about you" ....??!! He has all my contact info, yet he refuses to acknowledge any of his custom barrel customers

At what point does the custom barrel order situation for us turn from inconveinence to outright fraud???

RD62
03-19-08, 19:17
No experience with AR15Barrels.com, but I have used ADCO a few times. They built my upper for me originally, then I had them turn my RRA barrel to a lighter profile under the handguards. Turn around has always been fast, great quality work, good prices, and excellent comms. I would reccomend them and will use them again.

That being said, I have kept my 16in upper and bought an LMT 10.5 for my SBR.

-RD62

fivepointoh
03-19-08, 19:28
RD...I was wanting to recommend the OP to just get an LMT 10.5 upper also...but I have no experience (obviously as I'm in IL) and therefore am hesitant to recommend something I've never owned or used. I have however used ADCO which is why I recommended them.

bigsarg99
03-20-08, 07:14
I cant speak directly on barrel chopping at ADCO but they removed a perm affixed Noveske Pig FH on my 13.7 infidel to change a Barrel nut then put it all back together and it looks great. Looks like nothing was ever done to the barrel so I imagine they would do a great job at cutting down, recrowning and rethreading a barrel. The wait time wasnt too bad either.

maze
03-20-08, 14:35
Does ADCO have a website? want to get some work done? thanks

fivepointoh
03-20-08, 16:09
Does ADCO have a website? want to get some work done? thanks

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

buddyhoohaw
03-20-08, 18:43
FWIW, I do have direct and recent experience with Randall at AR15barrels.com on a barrel job that involved cutting, crowning & rethreading my 6450 9mm barrel to 10.5". He did a very good job however his turn around time was prolly twicw what he estimated. For me it wasn't a big deal as it did not impact any range time although I can see where it would piss someone off.

LOL...I once had an FAL at a gunsmith for 18 months :rolleyes:

adh
03-20-08, 19:50
Use ADCO....I'm sending them two uppers for barrel work on Monday (finally getting off my arse to ship them out)

ETA: I've used ADCO twice before with great results and turn around

seniorsniper
03-20-08, 22:11
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Got some good info. here. Looks like cutting the barrel down and having it re-threaded is the way to go. I'm definately going to look into the wedsites that were provided. Thanks again!