PDA

View Full Version : For those residing in KY any info is appreciated.

jpmuscle
03-18-13, 01:49
So, ill preface this by saying in the next months my time living in the North has to end and for a variety of reasons, the continual encroachment on my 2A rights being one of dozens. Obviously job prospects are a priority so if anyone has knowledge of any LE agencies currently hiring or soon to be hiring please note them.

That said I have always found Kentucky to be an attractive state having grown up in a much more rural oriented lifestyle owning horses and what not. I always wanted to make it to the Kentucky derby but regrettably that never came to fruition. I was in Louisville a number of years ago and really liked what I saw but that was the extent of my travels so I don't really know much about the rest of the state. Any particular areas you guys would consider better than others and why? Or any parts of the state that should be avoided for whatever reasons? I'm starting my research no because I have absolutely no desire to ring in 2014 in my current location, that's my goal.

Grizzly16
03-18-13, 06:14
So, ill preface this by saying in the next months my time living in the North has to end and for a variety of reasons, the continual encroachment on my 2A rights being one of dozens. Obviously job prospects are a priority so if anyone has knowledge of any LE agencies currently hiring or soon to be hiring please note them.

That said I have always found Kentucky to be an attractive state having grown up in a much more rural oriented lifestyle owning horses and what not. I always wanted to make it to the Kentucky derby but regrettably that never came to fruition. I was in Louisville a number of years ago and really liked what I saw but that was the extent of my travels so I don't really know much about the rest of the state. Any particular areas you guys would consider better than others and why? Or any parts of the state that should be avoided for whatever reasons? I'm starting my research no because I have absolutely no desire to ring in 2014 in my current location, that's my goal.

I grew up south of Lexington (so I'm biased) but it was about perfect to me. The mountains aren't far west for great trails, the flat lands (east) aren't too far away for lots of good duck hunting and there are lots of small hills and lakes around for fishing and scenery. The economy is relatively strong (manf, some tech, agri-support and a little tourism) depending on your career. Gun laws are good, people are great. If you get into really small towns there is always some outsider vs insider but not bad. Property is stupid cheap. Last time I went to visit there was a 5 bedroom single story house build in 1980s on 10 acres with two ponds for something like $75K.

If you can't tel I want to get back to KY pretty bad myself..:sarcastic:

officerX
03-18-13, 07:12
In and around the bigger cities are going to be your best chances for a job. Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, those are the biggest areas. I grew up about 20 miles east of Lexington in Winchester, it's a nice little small town. I currently reside in Frankfort, the Capitol and its also a nice area. It's situated right off I-64 about 30 miles west of Lexington and 45 miles or so east of Louisville. The only area I would avoid is southeastern KY. The economy is not as good there and there's a big Rx pill problem there.

dash1
03-18-13, 08:42
I can't speak to the employment opportunities, but I can say that I enjoy living in Kentucky. Ky is gun and NFA friendly. The biggest gun show I've ever attended was in Louisville. Louisville has a lot to offer, education, entertainment, sports, and hospitals. Ky does have a state income tax though. Look into local ordinances for each community, not all are alike.

86 slo-vo
03-18-13, 09:01
I was born and raised in Owensboro KY, I am still here with my family.

Ky is nice, land is decent and the laws are pretty friendly.

Louisville can be pretty left leaning though.

skydivr
03-18-13, 09:49
Don't forget to also look down near Hopkinsville, growing pretty heavily due to the proximity of Clarksville, TN (Fort Cambpell)...you also will find a pretty heavy concentration of people who think like you and probably read this board frequently...

Army Chief
03-18-13, 11:06
Assigned to Bragg, but still own a home in Elizabethtown, KY, not far from Fort Knox and Knob Creek. After years of dismissing the state as backward and underdeveloped, I was amazed when I actually moved there at how great a place it really is. Had even planned to retire there, and still might, depending upon my health, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Commonwealth to anyone.

Beautiful scenery, intriguing history, friendly people, low cost of living and reasonable firearms laws all add up to one very good place to live. I'm sold on the Bluegrass State.

AC

jpmuscle
03-19-13, 02:01
Thanks for the information everyone especially you AC, thank you sir. Ill keep doing my due diligence and hopefully I'll be able to get a line on a few employment opportunities to follow up on. I have a few months left of grad school and frankly tired of waiting for something fed LE related to come to fruition so its time to start blazing a trail. Kentucky definitely sounds like a winner though.

Mr. Smith
03-19-13, 09:46
We would be glad to have you.

officerX
03-19-13, 10:15
Assigned to Bragg, but still own a home in Elizabethtown, KY, not far from Fort Knox and Knob Creek. After years of dismissing the state as backward and underdeveloped, I was amazed when I actually moved there at how great a place it really is. Had even planned to retire there, and still might, depending upon my health, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Commonwealth to anyone.

Beautiful scenery, intriguing history, friendly peope, low cost of living and reasonable firearms laws all add up to one very good place to live. I'm sold on the Bluegrass State.

AC
OFF TOPIC

I'm still a noob here and can't post in GD yet, but I wanted to let you know I've been praying for you and your situation.

Army Chief
03-19-13, 10:54
OFF TOPIC

I'm still a noob here and can't post in GD yet, but I wanted to let you know I've been praying for you and your situation.

I am grateful for your intercession on my behalf, brother. It has made a very great difference, I assure you.

AC

ScottFarkus
03-19-13, 12:41
Louisville area here (Shepherdsville). I can echo the previous posts. Born and raised here and I love it. Louisville politics can get on your nerves a bit, but it seems no worse than any where else.

A small local dept (Mt. Washington) had an ad in paper the other day, they may still be hiring. Certainly not big money, but a growing area with good people.

AC, same here. I pray for your recovery. E-Town is a nice area.

Heck South Central Ky has some of the best people anywhere in my opinion!:D

Army Chief
03-19-13, 13:23
Politics aside (it is a college town, after all), I really like the city of Louisville. It's surprisingly clean, not too large, full of great destinations (the minor league baseball stadium -- Louisville Slugger Field -- alone is worth a trip), home of the incomparable Churchill Downs, and surrounded by beautiful country in every direction. Then there is the nearby Bourbon Trail, for those so inclined. I also highly recommend the pizzeria just down the block from the Louisville Slugger museum and factory on West Main -- pretty sure it was/is "Luigi's." ;)

AC

SeriousStudent
03-19-13, 20:19
Do they still have the taxes for Jefferson county and Louisville residents? I lived there a while back (St Matthews and Fairbanks) and was pretty stunned by our tax bills the first year. We ended up moving across the river to New Albany, as tax exiles.

Bootleg BBQ in Mount Washington was hard to beat. I hope it's still in business. Great vittles!

And nothing beats a pub crawl on Bardstown Road in Louisville. Start at the top, then walk, stagger and crawl your way down to the bottom of the street. :D

And OP, do not be surprised if they ask you "Do you bleed red or bleed blue?" when you arrive. It's a basketball thing - University of Lousiville or University of Kentucky. I replied that I preferred not to bleed at all, and got puzzled looks.

I enjoyed Kentucky a lot, but could not find a good margarita or chicken fried steak to save my life, so I moved back to Texas. Good folks up there.

ScottFarkus
03-19-13, 21:03
County and city merged into "Metro Louisville". I'm not sure about tax bills.

You mean Bootleg BBQ in the shack on Bardstown RD? Yes its still there, awesome wings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

officerX
03-19-13, 21:21
If you HAVE to bleed (LOL), it's better to bleed red right now. UK just lost in the first round of the NIT tourney to Robert Morris University (who?????).

I'm a Tennessee fan so I bleed ORANGE!

SeriousStudent
03-19-13, 21:37
County and city merged into "Metro Louisville". I'm not sure about tax bills.

You mean Bootleg BBQ in the shack on Bardstown RD? Yes its still there, awesome wings.

Yep, that is the place! It was in a metal prefab by the side of the road, before you went up the hill into Mount Washington. They had some tasty smoked turkeys, too!

jpmuscle
03-19-13, 23:22
You guys are killing me lol. Definitely sounds like a great place to relocate. It appears both Louisville Metro and Lexington City PDs are hiring so they look like good places to start.

I'm not gonna lie though I love me some good BBQ :D

officerX
03-19-13, 23:26
You guys are killing me lol. Definitely sounds like a great place to relocate. It appears both Louisville Metro and Lexington City PDs are hiring so they look like good places to start.

I work for the jail in Lexington. Metro PD is always hiring. It's sometimes tough to get on, and they treat the recruits like dirt until they graduate, but it's pretty decent pay.

jpmuscle
03-20-13, 00:15
I work for the jail in Lexington. Metro PD is always hiring. It's sometimes tough to get on, and they treat the recruits like dirt until they graduate, but it's pretty decent pay.

Good to know. At this point I'm content with a foot in the door so long as their is a reasonable opportunity to advance within the department progress into different areas or specialization. Sounds like they have a lot of turn over then?

ScottFarkus
03-20-13, 05:57
I didn't even think about Metro. Yeah they are are always taking apps. Not sure about turnover but under the last chief there was a lot of drama. It seems to be better now. I know a few guys there that are squared away and enjoy the job. Pay level is pretty good for the area in my opinion. It seems that some of them moonlight quite a bit too.

Depending on what side of town (East-West) you are in it can be pretty nice/not so nice :p
Depends on what kind of "clientele" you want to serve ;)

SeriousStudent
03-20-13, 21:22

Be careful how you define BBQ. I'm not flinging rocks, just pointing out that there are many different interpretations.

Kansas, Carolinas, Texas, Kentucky - all of them are different.

So when you wander into some place in Kentucky and order a BBQ sammich, know what you are getting into.

jpmuscle
03-21-13, 02:23
Be careful how you define BBQ. I'm not flinging rocks, just pointing out that there are many different interpretations.

Kansas, Carolinas, Texas, Kentucky - all of them are different.

So when you wander into some place in Kentucky and order a BBQ sammich, know what you are getting into.

Good point. Would hate to be "that guy".

jpmuscle
09-03-13, 06:16
Just to follow up briefly but relocation plans are still being hammered out.

But I have to ask that given a lot of the recent nonsense in the NFA world regarding trusts and CLEO certs are their any particular locales with CLEOs that should be outright avoided for being non NFA friendly? It would literally ruin my year to move in an attempt to avoid some of the constitutional injustices occurring where I am at only to find I still have to deal with such nonsense, even in a 2A friendly state.

Hmac
09-03-13, 06:55
2A friendliness of any state, county, or city is going vary with changes in its political makeup. Legislatures change, police chiefs change, sheriffs change, sometimes with each election. Chasing political constancy in America these days is likely to be a fool's errand.

jpmuscle
09-03-13, 09:51
2A friendliness of any state, county, or city is going vary with changes in its political makeup. Legislatures change, police chiefs change, sheriffs change, sometimes with each election. Chasing political constancy in America these days is likely to be a fool's errand.

That goes without saying. But, if I can side step a headache by avoiding an obviously entrenched anti-2A sentiment in a particular locale then that is my preference.

sxshep
09-03-13, 12:13
I live in SW Ohio, but am applying for departments in KY as well (mostly northern KY). It's much easier to get on with them, mostly because I don't want to pay to send myself through an academy before getting hired on in OH. I have a ton of coworkers who live in KY, some even as far as Winchester (a 97 mile drive to work), and they all seem to love it. We constantly joke about which state is better haha

Alpha Sierra
09-03-13, 12:15
jpmuscle, I have nothing to add from the NFA or job prospect angles but I will tell you this: if you have anything more than a passing interest in horses and move to Kentucky you CANNOT miss the Rolex Kentucky 3 Day Event at the KY Horse Park just north of Lexington.

You can't get this close to the action at the Derby:
http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1-IMG_5589-car.jpg

meausoc
09-03-13, 21:04
Check out the city of Jeffersontown, KY. They were recently hiring for their police department and it is a great place to live. I also believe that they are the highest paid LEO in Kentucky.

jpmuscle
09-04-13, 00:39
I live in SW Ohio, but am applying for departments in KY as well (mostly northern KY). It's much easier to get on with them, mostly because I don't want to pay to send myself through an academy before getting hired on in OH. I have a ton of coworkers who live in KY, some even as far as Winchester (a 97 mile drive to work), and they all seem to love it. We constantly joke about which state is better haha

Sx, you have a PM inbound.

jpmuscle, I have nothing to add from the NFA or job prospect angles but I will tell you this: if you have anything more than a passing interest in horses and move to Kentucky you CANNOT miss the Rolex Kentucky 3 Day Event at the KY Horse Park just north of Lexington.

You can't get this close to the action at the Derby:
http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1-IMG_5589-car.jpg

Love me some equine goodness. And that looks like a ton of fun!

Check out the city of Jeffersontown, KY. They were recently hiring for their police department and it is a great place to live. I also believe that they are the highest paid LEO in Kentucky.

Much appreciated, Ill look into it.

ETA - I just followed up with Jeffersontown PD and they were/are accepting apps until 9/6 however they were only giving them out in person until 8/31 so I may be SOL on that one. Ill follow up with the AM in see If I can maybe shmooz someone over.

Mr. Smith
09-14-13, 08:00
If I can help you any way just let me know. I do a lot of work down here.

LE and other players are in my shop every week, so if you would like to stop in let me know.

GotAmmo
09-14-13, 10:17
I'm PCS'ing to Radcliff/Elizabethtown in March '14 so this thread is helpful

I'm rather excited so far to move up there from my current residence in Florida

Army Chief
09-14-13, 10:35
You will quickly learn to love it, and Knob Creek is right around the corner.

Let me know if you need any help getting settled ... Mrs. AC was a realtor there and knows the terrain very, very well.

AC

officerX
09-14-13, 13:21
Nice area over that way!

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 14:02
If I can help you any way just let me know. I do a lot of work down here.

LE and other players are in my shop every week, so if you would like to stop in let me know.

You will quickly learn to love it, and Knob Creek is right around the corner.

Let me know if you need any help getting settled ... Mrs. AC was a realtor there and knows the terrain very, very well.

AC

Many thanks gents my appreciation is beyond articulation. I will update as things hopefully progress and reach out if needed.

nick84
01-08-14, 12:46
So, JP, any update? Did you settle in the 'Ville? :D