PDA

View Full Version : 550B Set-up with non-Dillon Dies?

kry226
03-18-13, 06:32
Looking to use the 550B for all my future reloading, including calibers for which Dillon makes no dies. So how do you 550B reloaders set your two-die sets on a four station press? Powder measures? Die brands?

Looking for anything concerning reloading on the 550B in a non-standard way. Thanks.

Low Drag
03-18-13, 06:46
You'll have to get the caliber conversion set that includes a shell plate and powder die to make the powder dropper work..

Other than that I've used RCBS dies for a number of different loads.

platoonDaddy
03-18-13, 06:48
As you stated you have a four position tool head, with shell plates to match and therefore the shell plates are not interchangeable with RCBS etc. Dillion also seats on position three and crimps on position four, were for the most part other dies seat & crimp on the same station.

Don't believe it is possible.

EDIT: as I was typing your message LowDrag answered your question and per him it is possible.

platoonDaddy
03-18-13, 06:50
Other than that I've used RCBS dies for a number of different loads.

WOW, you use RCBS on your 550, didn't think that was possible.

Low Drag
03-18-13, 07:08
As you stated you have a four position tool head, with shell plates to match and therefore the shell plates are not interchangeable with RCBS etc. Dillion also seats on position three and crimps on position four, were for the most part other dies seat & crimp on the same station.

Don't believe it is possible.

EDIT: as I was typing your message LowDrag answered your question and per him it is possible.

I said you'd have to get the caliber conversion set (did I need to say for the Dillon 550?) - that has a shell plate 'Other than that' I've used RCBS dies' - yes.

The conversion kit has a shell plate and brass tabs (not sure what they are called) to hold the cases on the plate and a powder die adapter.

The 550 will take standard dies. Go hit the Dillon web site.

I typically use 2 steps to seat and crimp. I have taken to use Lee Factory crimp dies for the last step. Including my .223/5.56 loads.

markm
03-18-13, 08:24
The powder measure is ALWAYS station 2. I always have station one empty since I resize and prime off the press on other equipment.

3 is bullet seating.

and 4 is crimp.

kry226
03-18-13, 09:23
I'm tracking the caliber conversion parts like powder funnels, locator buttons, and shell plates. Due to my ISTJ-isms, I eventually plan to have separate tool heads for each caliber where I get each set up and left alone. But, it's where Dillon isn't supportive that I am fuzzy.

But for example, say I want to reload .243:

RCBS/Redding, etc. Resizing/decapping die on 1; Dillon powder measure on 2; bullet seat on 3 (I assume you can adjust a seat/crimp die to not crimp, yes?); Lee factory crimp die on 4 (if at all, that seems to be the decade-long debate, to crimp or not).

Sound doable/reasonable? Am I out there flapping?

theblackknight
03-18-13, 09:30
Depends on caliber.

I know a dude that uses a hornady set/crimp so he can use the hornady bullet feeder die and the fish tubes thing for 9mm.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

markm
03-18-13, 09:33
If I were to load .243 and ONLY had a 550b (no single stage) I'd to this.

Get 2 extra tool heads.

1. would have a body die in station one only.... then I'd tumble off the lube, etc.

2. would have a Lee Collet Neck sizing die only in station one. I'd prime during this operation.

on the final (3rd) tool head, I'd have the powder bullet seating, and crimp, if any, in the respective postions 2, 3, and 4.

kry226
03-18-13, 09:48
Yeah, I am beginning to see the usefulness of a single stage press for my lower volume cartridges, but don't want to give up on Mr. Blue just yet.

markm
03-18-13, 09:52
Yeah, I am beginning to see the usefulness of a single stage press for my lower volume cartridges.

That's how I do it. I put the LNL conversion on my BIG BOSS 2. I can leap from caliber to caliber and die to die in seconds.

I leave my 550b set up for .223 almost all of the time.

kry226
03-18-13, 10:14
That's how I do it. I put the LNL conversion on my BIG BOSS 2. I can leap from caliber to caliber and die to die in seconds.

I leave my 550b set up for .223 almost all of the time.

I'll have to investigate the LNL conversion. My high volume stuff for the Dillon will be .223, 9mm, 10mm, and (hopefully) .308, and possibly 300 BO.

But I do anticipate .243, .30-06, 44 Mag. I've also heard reloading can incite more firearm expenditures too. :D

markm
03-18-13, 10:17
I'll have to investigate the LNL conversion.

It's cheap.. but priceless. I convert my dillon over to 45 acp about 2 times per year and blow out 500 or 1000 rounds... then go back to .223

I even size and prime my 45 acp brass on the single stage. That way I don't have to add powder or primers during a 500 round load. I get to focus on the powder charge for every round of pistol ammo.

kry226
03-18-13, 10:49
So if I am following correctly, and not knowing anything about Hornady kit, the LNL Conversion bushings allow you to quick change dies in a single stage without the need to readjust each time?

markm
03-18-13, 10:52
So if I am following correctly, and not knowing anything about Hornady kit, the LNL Conversion bushings allow you to quick change dies in a single stage without the need to readjust each time?

EXACTLY! You remove the bushing out of the press and replace it with the female bushing of the LNL system. Then buy a bunch of LNL die bushings and love life.

kry226
03-18-13, 10:57
EXACTLY! You remove the bushing out of the press and replace it with the female bushing of the LNL system. Then buy a bunch of LNL die bushings and love life.

Hmmm... I am thinking this may be the ticket for my low volume, non-standard reloading. Very interesting. Thanks for the info, markm.

Kyle

markm
03-18-13, 11:10
Hmmm... I am thinking this may be the ticket for my low volume, non-standard reloading. Very interesting. Thanks for the info, markm.

Kyle

Oh it's the ticket for sure. It's how I can leap from .308 to .300WM and size .223, etc. without going nuts. I leave all my frequently used dies on the bench and can switch over without even gettin off my butt.

kry226
03-18-13, 11:29
Cannot vouch for this dude, but he does show how the LNL conversion bushings work in a Rock Chucker from 3:00 min to about 6:00. Really helped me to visualize the operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOl3H0hsjJM

markm
03-18-13, 11:36
Yep. That's it.

shootist~
03-18-13, 16:03
I've loaded .243 and 30-06 on my 650. Not sure which powder die I used (probably .308 or 6.5mm), but I don't have one specifically for .243. I've even cheated by dropping powder on the Dillon for 8mm Mauser and 7.5 Swiss, but doing everything else single stage.

The shell plate will be the same for .308 as for .243 and .45 ACP (and 30-06 as well, IIRC). But I re-size all bottleneck cases on a single stage - it just seems like too much force is required for an aluminum frame - at least for anything bigger than .223.

Note that Dillon sizer dies are backed off the shell plate (and don't require firm contact with the ram as do most others).

kry226
03-18-13, 16:59
I am finding, like most other things, if you ask ten different people, you'll get ten different ways of doing it. I think we each just get into it and through trial, error, and experience, we find our own way of getting things done.

Now if my press will only get here so I can begin the journey... :big_boss:

Wildcat
03-18-13, 17:02
Case prep done with a single stage press to decap, resize, trim

Tumble to remove lube from sizing

Swage primer pockets if necessary and inspect cases

Prepped brass sent through the 550
Station 1: Universal expander to put a -slight- flare in the neck
Prime
Station 2: Powder drop
Station 3: Seating die
Station 4: Collet crimp

markm
03-19-13, 08:08
I am finding, like most other things, if you ask ten different people, you'll get ten different ways of doing it. I think we each just get into it and through trial, error, and experience, we find our own way of getting things done.

That's true. But I'm the only one doing it right. :D

Airhasz
03-19-13, 09:06
That's true. But I'm the only one doing it right. :D

This surprises everyone...:rolleyes:

markm
03-19-13, 09:14
This surprises everyone...:rolleyes:

It is surprising... but indeed there's almost an infinite amount of ways to get the job done.

I remember just starting out, years back... reading about how guys felt their handloads were much better than factory ammo. I used to think... these guys are just protecting their ego... how can home made ammo be equal or better than real factory stuff?

SteveS
04-05-13, 19:38
I have used Hornady and RCBS dies in the 550 with out problem but the Dillon dies do work better. I would say because the base of the die has a larger chamfer to ease the case insertion.

Hdog83
04-05-13, 22:05
Great thread with great info for this reloading noob. I was about to join the order queue for a new 550b from Dillon, to reload 9, 45 and eventually 5.56, but reading between the lines it sounds like a fair number of knowledgeable reloaders (i) use single-stage presses for significant portions of their work and (ii) prime on a single-stage press or by hand. These would seem to be clues.

My take away from this thread is that I should learn the ropes on a single stage setup, before diving into a progressive setup. With that in mind, does one have to have a Hornady Lock n Load press in order to use their quick change bushings, or do they work on other brands of single stage presses (such as the RCBS Rock Chucker)? Conversely, is/are there a competing system(s) allowing quick-changes of dies on single stage presses? (Apologies if this is too much of a threadjack.)

shootist~
04-05-13, 23:10
In my case, pistol rounds go thru the Dillon - end of story. Bottle neck rifle cases get sized (only) on a single stage - priming and powder drops work fine thru the Dillon. Note: I don't shoot my ARs or SCAR17 past about 700 Meters, and am happy with ~1 MOA accuracy for the semi precision stuff.

For thousand yard and beyond shooting, hand priming and measured powder drops become more important. I'm anal enough that I do uniform primer pockets on rifle brass, however, except for range brass that's just used for drills.

I suggest getting the Dillon first - loading for precision comes much later in the cycle, if at all for most people.

Hdog83
04-09-13, 00:26
Thanks for the advice - scored a full 550B setup at the LGS today for normal prices, so I'm well on the way.

Am I correct that, with the 550B, you set the dies for a particular cartridge and leave them, switching out the "plate" (?) that holds the dies (along with the dies themselves) when switching to a different cartridge?

Keith E.
04-09-13, 06:42
Am I correct that, with the 550B, you set the dies for a particular cartridge and leave them, switching out the "plate" (?) that holds the dies (along with the dies themselves) when switching to a different cartridge?

That is correct. You set your dies and then change out the toolhead when you change calibers that allow you to use the same shell plate carrier such as .308 family, 30'06, 45ACP; .223, .380ACP. The carrier will need to be changed out as needed for different calibers. This info is available by checking compatibility provided by the press manufacturer.

Keith