PDA

View Full Version : What is the most pro gun state, with the coldest weather?

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 10:11
My girlfriend was talking about maybe moving sometime next year or so, and this was one of the things we were discussing. She says Indiana, and my answer was PA.

What would you guys say?

Low living costs, gas prices, and metropolitan areas would be good info too. But gun laws, and cold weather are by far the most important considerations.

Thanks guys.

S-1
03-18-13, 10:18
Alaska

MountainRaven
03-18-13, 10:19
Inland Alaska, if your main concerns are 'cold' and 'guns'.

Otherwise North Dakota gets pretty cold and has pretty good gun laws. It also has the Bakken, if you want to get rich or die trying.

Zane1844
03-18-13, 10:20
Your requirements are the same as mine!

I am leaving CA for South Dakota or Wisconsin pretty soon here, most likely Wisconsin so I can be with my friend.

Airhasz
03-18-13, 10:42
Alaska will be the last state to fall on gun laws, hell you need a large caliber to survive in most of the state...

AKDoug
03-18-13, 10:42
-3F here this morning. The cost of living in Alaska is not cheap by any means, though.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 10:55
I thought of Alaska, but cost of living, and metropolitan areas gives me second thoughts about considering it as a viable option.

Army Chief
03-18-13, 11:00
New Hampshire -- Live Free Or Die.

AC

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 11:10
New Hampshire -- Live Free Or Die.

AC

I hadn't thought of that one, and the temperature works.

Does NH have NFA? (So I can get my suppressors, and SBRs transferred.)

Also, are there issues with traveling through Maryland if you cave a CCP in NH?

And my google-fu shows that you can't carry a loaded gun in a car? (Does full magazine, none in the chamber count?)

Thanks, AC! How're you feelin' today?

Army Chief
03-18-13, 11:32

And my google-fu shows that you can't carry a loaded gun in a car? (Does full magazine, none in the chamber count?)

NH has had to contend with an influx of folks from Massachusetts over the past few decades (who bring their leftist ideals with them), but on balance, it is still a ferociously independent place where the laws are in your favor. NFA is good to go across the board. 80% of the state is still forested. The views are great, and you're guaranteed to get plenty of nice, crisp winter weather. There are countless small towns and villages where life has a slower pace, and people actually know each other. The maple syrup is as good as it gets. No state sales tax and no state income tax. I was a LEO there many years ago, and my parents are still up there.

With a CCW, carry in a car is no issue. Maryland, on the other hand, is probably going to be an issue, no matter whose paper you have in your wallet. That place has gone off of the deep end.

A bit on the tired side today, but doing well, thanks.

AC

djmorris
Maine.

WillBrink
My girlfriend was talking about maybe moving sometime next year or so, and this was one of the things we were discussing. She says Indiana, and my answer was PA.

What would you guys say?

Low living costs, gas prices, and metropolitan areas would be good info too. But gun laws, and cold weather are by far the most important considerations.

Thanks guys.

Vermont or Alaska. NH and ME are pretty close though.

Guns a plenty, cold a plenty.

The former is all good, the latter, hell no. I'm done with cold and plan to make this my last winter in the NE.

fu*% cold. :D

tuck
03-18-13, 11:38
Now that we finally have a CCW law, I have to vote for Wisconsin. All NFA stuff is good to go here, we can hunt with suppressors and SBR's/SBS's and its colder than a witch's tit for 5 months a year. If you like metropolitan areas, there's plenty to go around.

currahee
03-18-13, 11:39
I have fantasies about Alaska,

Can't you balance the cost of living with cheap land and the ability to hunt and garden a lot more (I have head that in some places because of the long days the gardening is awesom for like 2-3 months)

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 11:40
Vermont or Alaska. NH and ME are pretty close though.

Guns a plenty, cold a plenty.

The former is all good, the latter, hell no. I'm done with cold and plan to make this my last winter in the NE.

fu*% cold. :D

No suppressors in VT ruled it out for me long ago.

Everybody seems to be giving me some similar answers though, and NE seems to be a great idea. Though I'll have to look into Maryland, and see what I'd have to do to travel through the state with a CCW if I had to.

Also, is carrying a loaded rifle in your car an issue?

I really appreciate the answers guys.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 11:41
Now that we finally have a CCW law, I have to vote for Wisconsin. All NFA stuff is good to go here, we can hunt with suppressors and SBR's/SBS's and its colder than a witch's tit for 5 months a year. If you like metropolitan areas, there's plenty to go around.

You guys are a shall issue state?

ETA: I found out that is is. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/04/1032756/-RKBA-Wisconsin-Passes-Shall-Issue-Concealed-Carry-And-OT

Loaded pistols/rifles in cars good?

Concealed weapons or concealed pistol license?

WillBrink
03-18-13, 11:48

Everybody seems to be giving me some similar answers though, and NE seems to be a great idea. Though I'll have to look into Maryland, and see what I'd have to do to travel through the state with a CCW if I had to.

I tend to look first at CCW laws myself and never checked on suppressors, so I'm of little value on that score. Not sure if still the case (as jerk balls from NY, MA, etc moved there...) but VT had some of the best gun laws in the nation. NH would be in the short list for gun laws and cold weather however and although many of the southern towns (bordering MA) have been taken over by people from MA with them their anti gun political views, most of the state is still GTG.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 11:49
... many of the southern towns (bordering MA) have been taken over by people from MA with them their anti gun political views, most of the state is still GTG.

Another thing I'm thinking of is the future. I don't wanna be in a state that's pro gun now, and anti-gun tomorrow. We were thinking about moving to CO last year. That would've been all bad.

WillBrink
03-18-13, 12:03
Another thing I'm thinking of is the future. I don't wanna be in a state that's pro gun now, and anti-gun tomorrow. We were thinking about moving to CO last year. That would've been all bad.

I have not lived in NH in a while, but I don't see it going truly anti gun any more likely than any other state that's currently known as pro gun.

But I don't live there so can't say I have the real "pulse" of the local politics and such.

I think most in NH resent the "progressive" types that have taken over some of the southern towns (and rightly so...) and still control 90+% of the state.

NH and MA also have something of a cultural rivalry and NH generally enjoys doing literally the opposite of what MA wants. MA has put pressure on NH for years to "reform" the guns laws, and NH has told them to go screw themselves and taken the obvious stance of "we don't seem to be suffering a 'gun problem' so how is this our problem again?" approach and have been very consistent with that.

MA of course blames the "lax" gun laws of surrounding states for our "gun crime" per usual when having the "toughest gun laws in the nation" does not do jack sh&% to lower crime rates. :blink:

polymorpheous
03-18-13, 12:17
Your requirements are the same as mine!

I am leaving CA for South Dakota or Wisconsin pretty soon here, most likely Wisconsin so I can be with my friend.

You are more than welcome here!

chadbag
03-18-13, 12:32
I tend to look first at CCW laws myself and never checked on suppressors, so I'm of little value on that score. Not sure if still the case (as jerk balls from NY, MA, etc moved there...) but VT had some of the best gun laws in the nation. NH would be in the short list for gun laws and cold weather however and although many of the southern towns (bordering MA) have been taken over by people from MA with them their anti gun political views, most of the state is still GTG.

I am on some NH focussed mail list (called NH Journal) that spams me regularly. Having lived in NH previously, I got on all sorts of lists. They tend to be to the right in terms of their focus and GOP oriented.

They sent out a recent mailing that claimed some poll showed huge support for gun control in NH. They linked to this page

http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/politics/4010933-95/percent-poll-support-voters

I fear for NH. The Massholes moving there are more than taking over in terms of numerical strength, even when it is just along the border area. How else could Carol Shea-Porter get relected and Shaheen stay Senator and keep electing a (D) Governor?

What Will describes is historically correct. I fear it is changing.

--

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 12:40
I wasn't going to move to IL anyway, but I learned today that they have 330,000 long term unemployed folks. Jesus Christ.

Also, if more than 30% of the population supports gun control measures, I'm not sure I can move there.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 12:42
http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/politics/4010933-95/percent-poll-support-voters

"The poll, taken Monday and Tuesday of 656 registered voters"

That hardly seems like an honest conclusion then.

If it was like 10,000 people, then I'd be like "Fuuuuuuck NH."

chadbag
03-18-13, 12:49

Yes, NFA is 100% allowed in NH. When I had money for that sort of thing, I was in NH, and had no issues at all.

Due to some laws there that make the chief basically personally responsible, even in places like Nashua they will sign your Form 4.

I lived in Merrimack. I went in to get a Form 4 signed. No problem. They did my prints for free. I asked what hours I could come in and get my prints done. 24/7 was the answer. So I went in one Saturday morning around 10 or 11am. No cop on duty at the station, just a dispatcher, so she called in a patrol officer to do my prints. He saw the ATF on the print cards, and asked what I was getting. Turns out he had a similar item and we knew a lot of the same folks.

Another time I went in to get a form 4 signed by the chief. He was in a meeting. I said I was happy to wait. After about 20 minutes, the chief left his meeting to come sign my form, and then went back to the meeting. They did not want me to wait, though I was happy to and was not worried about waiting or anything.

I did 4 form 4s I think, IIRC, when I lived in Merrimack. Mostly MG but one suppressor. Sadly, economic circumstance have meant that most all the stuff is sold off again. I do have the suppressor still. Never had an issue.

My brother in Nashua did one form 4. They asked stupid questions like "why do you want a machine gun anyway" and stuff like that, but signed it without hassle or wait (other than the dumb questions and comments, and only having a couple days a week, for an hour or two a day, that they were open for prints and signing).

One time we were on private property shooting MG. Cop drives up and said people were reporting MG fire in the area. He took one look at the Form 4s for the MGs and then relaxed and started asking questions about them.

When I was in NH, the CCW was $10, took a week to get (a day if the chief knew you), and was done locally. You got a piece of paper with some stuff on it. No picture, no prints, nothing. Was good at the time for 4 or 5 years. Don't know how much that has changed. I got mine in 1998 so about 15 years ago.

I went to some committee hearing at the NH State House that had to do with suppressors. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it was to do away with legal suppressors. Anyway, we all went to this hearing of the judiciary committee for the state senate, if my memory serves correctly. One of the head guys on the committee (at that time) basically has the states largest NFA collection himself, and the proposed bill was killed off with NO votes in the affirmative, from either party. Again, this was probably 1998 or so when this happened considering who I drove up with and that that was the year we worked together.

But I fear things are changing based on reports and election results coming out of NH in the last 8 or so years.

---

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 12:52
Yes, NFA is 100% allowed in NH. When I had money for that sort of thing, I was in NH, and had no issues at all.

Due to some laws there that make the chief basically personally responsible, even in places like Nashua they will sign your Form 4.

I lived in Merrimack. I went in to get a Form 4 signed. No problem. They did my prints for free. I asked what hours I could come in and get my prints done. 24/7 was the answer. So I went in one Saturday morning around 10 or 11am. No copy on duty at the station, just a dispatcher, so she called in a patrol officer to do my prints. He saw the ATF on the print cards, and asked what I was getting. Turns out he had a similar item and we knew a lot of the same folks.

Another time I went in to get a form 4 signed by the chief. He was in a meeting. I said I was happy to wait. After about 20 minutes, the chief left his meeting to come sign my form, and then went back to the meeting. They did not want me to wait, though I was happy to and was not worried about waiting or anything.

I did 4 form 4s I think, IIRC, when I lived in Merrimack. Mostly MG but one suppressor. Sadly, economic circumstance have meant that most all the stuff is sold off again. I do have the suppressor still. Never had an issue.

My brother in Nashua did one form 4. They asked stupid questions like "why do you want a machine gun anyway" and stuff like that, but signed it without hassle or wait (other than the dumb questions and comments, and only having a couple days a week, for an hour or two a day, that they were open for prints and signing).

One time we were on private property shooting MG. Cop drives up and said people were reporting MG fire in the area. He took one look at the Form 4s for the MGs and then relaxed and started asking questions about them.

When I was in NH, the CCW was $10, took a week to get (a day if the chief knew you), and was done locally. You got a piece of paper with some stuff on it. No picture, no prints, nothing. Was good at the time for 4 or 5 years. Don't know how much that has changed. I got mine in 1998 so about 15 years ago.

I went to some committee hearing at the NH State House that had to do with suppressors. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it was to do away with legal suppressors. Anyway, we all went to this hearing of the judiciary committee for the state senate, if my memory serves correctly. One of the head guys on the committee (at that time) basically has the states largest NFA collection himself, and the proposed bill was killed off with NO votes in the affirmative, from either party. Again, this was probably 1998 or so when this happened considering who I drove up with and that that was the year we worked together.

But I fear things are changing based on reports and election results coming out of NH in the last 8 or so years.

---

That's great to hear, if it's still like that, I'll propose the idea to the woman.

Does anybody know if Indiana would be good?

chadbag
03-18-13, 12:53
"The poll, taken Monday and Tuesday of 656 registered voters"

That hardly seems like an honest conclusion then.

If it was like 10,000 people, then I'd be like "Fuuuuuuck NH."

If you look into polling science, that is a reasonable sized poll. Especially for a place like NH. (2012 census population just a little over 1.2Mil).

If you look at a lot of these nationwide polls, etc they are not much bigger.

Now, it could have been skewed heavily by the way the question was asked, what the question itself was, etc. So it could be mighty suspect. But is still disheartening.

I love NH. At one point I wanted to move there and stay until I got old and retired. When I moved there in Dec 97 that was my goal. Circumstances changed and we moved to Utah over Labor Day 2002. My heart didn't and I still wanted to go back. However, now a days, while I have emotional attachment, I probably would not go back. I'd rather go to Montana (have to convince the wife).

---

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 12:56
If you look into polling science, that is a reasonable sized poll. Especially for a place like NH. (2012 census population just a little over 1.2Mil).

That still seems misleading. Plus, it was on a College Campus, in what I assume to be a liberal area.

Army Chief
03-18-13, 13:02
Does anybody know if Indiana would be good?

Yes, though I don't know how long it might stay that way.

AC

chadbag
03-18-13, 13:02
That still seems misleading. Plus, it was on a College Campus, in what I assume to be a liberal area.

No, it was not on a college campus. It was taken by a college polling unit.

Henniker is also not in a "liberal area" IIRC.

Concord, the Mass border, and the Seacoast are the more liberal areas.

---

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 13:03
Yes, though I don't know how long it might stay that way.

AC

Why do liberals flock to all the places I want to be?!

Ryno12
03-18-13, 13:11
You guys are a shall issue state?

ETA: I found out that is is. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/04/1032756/-RKBA-Wisconsin-Passes-Shall-Issue-Concealed-Carry-And-OT

Loaded pistols/rifles in cars good?

Concealed weapons or concealed pistol license?

Yes, shall issue

Loaded pistols: yes
Loaded rifles: no (can be uncased but unloaded)

Concealed Weapons permit

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

JoshNC
03-18-13, 14:07
Indiana is a strongly conservative, pro-gun state and is wide open for all NFA. There is a very active MG shooting community in the Indy area and that would also satisfy your urban needs.

MT and WY are also great states for your criteria, with the exception of metro areas.

PA and NH satisfy your criteria for now, but I fear the liberal influx into those states may result in another move in a few years as they head toward greater liberal legislation.

You and your proclivity towards cold weather, Magic. :) All I can think about is getting back to the perpetual summer of Southeast Florida, with its Carribean aqua green warm ocean, sport fishing, easy access to the Bahamas.... Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with your decision.

chadbag
03-18-13, 14:13
Of course, Utah is also very, very reasonable when it comes to 2A.

Utah and Oklahoma were also the only states that were completely RED in the last Presidential election.

Our only gun related bills in our last legislative period (once a year for a short period our legislature is in session -- just ended last week for 2013) were pro gun bills. One for Constitutional Carry (which passed in limited form) and one to make it so that local PD cannot charge you with "disturbing the peace" or related purely based on open carry of a firearm. Both are awaiting the Gov's signature I believe (I have not been following the "disturbing the peace" one so am going by some comments I read that referred to it passing, but I have not double checked).

CCW is "shall issue" and is one that is well regarded across the USA
NFA is just fine
It is assumed by most that everyone (outside of downtown SLC) owns a gun. The assumption is that you do, not that you don't.

And lots of Winter Snow for your winter fun.

----

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 14:16
Indiana is a strongly conservative, pro-gun state and is wide open for all NFA. There is a very active MG shooting community in the Indy area and that would also satisfy your urban needs.

MT and WY are also great states for your criteria, with the exception of metro areas.

PA and NH satisfy your criteria for now, but I fear the liberal influx into those states may result in another move in a few years as they head toward greater liberal legislation.

You and your proclivity towards cold weather, Magic. :) All I can think about is getting back to the perpetual summer of Southeast Florida, with its Carribean aqua green warm ocean, sport fishing, easy access to the Bahamas.... Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with your decision.

I appreciate the words, and the information.

Do you anticipate that IN will stay that way? AC's comment worried me a little bit, and I'm assuming that he knows something that I don't.

Also, the thought of Florida and it's 90 degree weather makes me sweat in my parka just tinking about it. Lol.

Also, chadbag, that sounds decent. Don't they have a state gun?

chadbag
03-18-13, 14:22
Also, the thought of Florida and it's 90 degree weather makes me sweat in my parka just tinking about it. Lol.

I am certainly not one against cold weather. While I was born in AZ, I moved at 10 to Mass and have been through the Blizzard of 78, too many ice storms to count, and many many freezing spells and Nor'easters. That only lead to me wanting to settle in mid NH for life at one point (and wanting to go to MT if I could afford a large chunk of land now).

But, one thing I've noticed is that as I grow older, I am less tolerant of the cold and places like Arizona look more inviting in the middle of winter, often. Florida is too humid for me. Mass was humid enough and I've grown very accustomed to the dry weather in Utah.

Something to think about. As you grow older, you will probably find more and more irritation with cold weather :)

--

Army Chief
03-18-13, 15:48
AC's comment worried me a little bit, and I'm assuming that he knows something that I don't.

Not necessarily. I graduated high school in Indiana, and found it a delightful and firearms-friendly place; that said, it's neighbors to the left and right (Illinois and Ohio) haven't always exactly been bastions of 2A protection, so you wonder how much of that bleeds over with time.

Like most states, you have to look at how much pull the major metropolitan areas have over legislation to get a sense for what might happen in the future. There is a legion of shooters in upstate and western New York, for example, who probably aren't very pleased with the laws that NYC has managed to influence. Same goes for Chicago's influence on Illinois, which is largely still an agricultural state. The moral of the story is to stay away from the big cities and/or places where the big cities drive state agendas.

AC

SteyrAUG
03-18-13, 15:54
Alaska

Yep. Except for the low cost of living criteria.

Bulletdog
03-18-13, 16:03
Correct my ignorance fellas. What about Montana or Wyoming? Certainly cold. Gun friendly. Cost of living is certainly lower than where I am.

Rmplstlskn
03-18-13, 16:09
Wow, a woman who WANTS cold weather? I have only met a few in my whole life like that...

You all into winter sports? Is that why you are seeking the cold & snow?

Rmpl

brickboy240
03-18-13, 16:42
Yeah, I don't get the "only cold weather" thingy.

If freedom and a decent cost of living meant wearing shorts and sweating a little....wouldn't you do it?

I don't get the attraction of the cold. I like wearing shorts almost year round, no coats and never having to deal with ice or snow.

-brickboy240

Ryno12
03-18-13, 16:46
Personally, I'd freak out not having four seasons. I think it'd get boring living in the same climate. I guess you have to grow up with it to appreciate it.

Hmac
03-18-13, 16:50
Personally, I'd freak out not having four seasons. I think it'd get boring living in the same climate. I guess you have to grow up with it to appreciate it.

I agree. Although really, Minnesota here only has two seasons...winter, and 3 months of bad sledding.

Ryno12
03-18-13, 17:00
I agree. Although really, Minnesota here only has two seasons...winter, and 3 months of bad sledding.

That's funny. You must live further North?? I think Minnesota is beautiful but then I'm more of a "pine tree" than a "palm tree" kind of guy.

Pork Chop
03-18-13, 17:25
I'd throw out Nebraska, but it doesn't really meet your metro area requirement and our weather is more shitty than just cold. :)

Hmac
03-18-13, 17:26
That's funny. You must live further North?? I think Minnesota is beautiful but then I'm more of a "pine tree" than a "palm tree" kind of guy.

I live in the central part of the state. Overall, Minnesota is kind of a mixed bag. The weather is actually pretty good if you like four seasons. Weather-wise, summer and fall are very nice. Winter is ....well, winter and not much different than Wisconsin or Michigan. Last year in mid-March time I was on my Harley. This year...well... I have about 2 feet of snow in my yard and on the lake. I just back from about 100 miles on the snowmobile and I still have to blow off the driveway of the 5 inches we got last night. This has been a longer winter than usual and Punxsutawney Phil missed the mark in this latitude. We don't have hurricanes or earthquakes, negligible tornados, no drought, and we have the largest reservoir of fresh water in the world. Minnesota is indeed beautiful, and especially so for those oriented toward the outdoors.

Politics? What can I say? Jesse Ventura was our governor for a while, Al Franken is one of our senators and Michele Bachmann is one of our congressmen.

Firearms - not too bad so far. Shall-issue. No distinction between open or concealed carry. No restrictions on churches or bars, no-firearms-posting of businesses has no force of law. SBR's are ok, but no machine guns or SBS's. Suppressors are prohibited (DNR's opposition to ninja poachers, I guess). We do have a stand-your-ground law (no duty to retreat). I could keep an SBR at my bedside but would probably start locking my doors at night first.

Like I said...mixed bag. I grew up in Omaha, have lived here for 30 years. On balance, no desire to live anywhere else.

Mac5.56
03-18-13, 17:27
In the continental 48 it's Wyoming.

Coldest out of all 48, every day. Coldest day I ever had was -78 with wind chill. And they just passed the law prohibiting the enforcement of federal gun laws within the state.

Move to Wyoming, if you can handle one winter there they will consider you a Wyomingite.

chadbag
03-18-13, 17:31

Coldest out of all 48, every day. Coldest day I ever had was -78 with wind chill. And they just passed the law prohibiting the enforcement of federal gun laws within the state.

Move to Wyoming, if you can handle one winter there they will consider you a Wyomingite.

Wyoming is a very nice place. At least to visit. You need to be able to drive for hours and see no other person :-)

Granted, while I've been through the area a million times, it is mostly on I-80... I'm probably missing a lot.

My sister does live in Evanston, but I am not sure that counts. That is really greater Utah but on the other side of the border.

--

montanadave
03-18-13, 17:38

Spend a winter in Jeffrey City without turning into Jack Nicholson in The Shining and they'll elect you governor! :D

Hmac
03-18-13, 18:00

Coldest out of all 48, every day. Coldest day I ever had was -78 with wind chill.

Shoot, that's nothing...;) Back in '96, we were snowmobiling on the North Shore when the temp hit -60 F without the windchill factor. We rode 150 miles, but I confess it was cold.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 18:03
Wow, a woman who WANTS cold weather? I have only met a few in my whole life like that...

A woman?...

What makes you think I'm a woman?

Ryno12
03-18-13, 18:05
Shoot, that's nothing...;) Back in '96, we were snowmobiling on the North Shore when the temp hit -60 F without the windchill factor. We rode 150 miles, but I confess it was cold.

You should probably post a picture of a snowmobile. I'm sure some of the Southern boys have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 18:06

That's hard to argue with. Got a metro area?

Less than 600,000 people in the whole state.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 18:07

I grew up in sunny California. I learned to hate the sun, and hate it a lot.

Magic_Salad0892
03-18-13, 18:10
Not necessarily. I graduated high school in Indiana, and found it a delightful and firearms-friendly place; that said, it's neighbors to the left and right (Illinois and Ohio) haven't always exactly been bastions of 2A protection, so you wonder how much of that bleeds over with time.

According to the other dudes on this board, OH seems to be a pretty firearms friendly place. So I'd guess it'd only have one anti-gun shithold as a neighbor. So it'd be like living in Oregon.

You're right about the big city influence though.

Hmac
03-18-13, 18:37
You should probably post a picture of a snowmobile. I sure some of the Southern boys have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Think 4-wheeler with skis. I shot this of a buddy a couple of years ago.

http://SSEquine.net/nmarkjump37.jpg

Army Chief
03-18-13, 19:03
According to the other dudes on this board, OH seems to be a pretty firearms friendly place. So I'd guess it'd only have one anti-gun shithold as a neighbor. So it'd be like living in Oregon.

You're right about the big city influence though.

Ohio has traditionally been a mixed bag (I went to college there). They were fairly permissive in some areas, but made absolutely no provision for concealed carry until very recently. I find some cause for hope in these latest developments, but left underwhelmed, as they took a very hard line on this in my day. Nice state, though. Good people.

AC

Ryno12
03-18-13, 19:44
Think 4-wheeler with skis. I shot this of a buddy a couple of years ago.

http://SSEquine.net/nmarkjump37.jpg

Good times, good times!! Some people don't know what they're missing. :)

ramairthree
03-18-13, 20:24

Vermont has gun laws pretty much related to stop jacking dear.
Loaded center fire rifle in car? NO. Suppressor? NO. Full auto submachine gun on seat next to your and your choice of pistol open or concealed on your hip? Yes. Shining headlights on fields at night? NO. White lighting dude running down your driveway with your Ipod and capping him? Yes.

SomeOtherGuy
03-18-13, 20:58
Alaska.

Followed by Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Idaho, depending how cold you require and if you need something resembling civilization. I kinda like Wyoming but there isn't much civilization there. It's basically a high altitude desert with cattle and a bit of oil, gas and mining. If I could go anywhere in the US I would probably settle in Idaho or Montana, and hard to choose between those two.

Most of the midwest other than Illinois is o-k but nowhere near as gun friendly as the real west. If you just have to be in the midwest, Indiana is probably the most gun friendly.

Mac5.56
03-18-13, 21:22
That's hard to argue with. Got a metro area?

Less than 600,000 people in the whole state.

No there is no real metro area. Cheyenne is the closest thing to it, and not really the best city in the state. If you live in Laramie, Denver is pretty close!

DreadPirateMoyer
03-18-13, 21:22
I'll throw some insight in for Pennsylvania since I haven't seen anyone say much about it here.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why PA doesn't rank higher in gun-friendly lists (including the Brady lists :sarcastic:), because compared to many places in the United States, it's amazing for gun owners.

No AWB/mag limits/authorized gun list. It's all legal.
NFA is 100% legal.
Shall-issue license (not permit) that requires no training, no fingerprints -- nothing but a fee (varies by county) and a few minutes of your time.
No carry restrictions other than government buildings.
No duty to inform.
No license necessary for open carry except in Philadelphia.
Loaded long guns allowed for open carry.
State pre-emption of firearms laws.
Recording police perfectly allowed (2-party consent does not apply to public officials here).
"No gun" signs DO NOT carry legal weight in criminal trespass (in NH, if you carry at a place with a "no guns allowed" sign, you are guilty of criminal trespass if caught).
Castle law AND stand your ground laws.
VERY pro-gun, despite going blue in Presidential elections. Our recent castle law vote (which would have passed in 2005 with Florida if we didn't have a Dem governor that vetoed it multiple times) passed 164-37/43-4. And unlike New Hampshire or Colorado, we actually have liberals LEAVING the state for neighboring states (MD, NY, NJ) and pro-gunners MOVING TO the state from neighboring states. It's getting more pro-gun here every day. (We also have a Republican House, Senate, and Governor at the moment)

It's about as pro-gun as you can get. The only weaknesses are you can't carry a loaded long gun in your car and private purchases are outlawed for handguns. Oh, and handgun purchases in the state are kept in a sales database by the State Police, which is total bullshit (but it's not a registry, because if you acquire a handgun through other means [moving to PA from out of state, for example], you don't have to register it or anything).

Aside from gun laws, it's an amazing place to live. Here in Central PA, I've got access to NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. within 2.5 hours, Pittsburgh within 3.5, and Boston within 6. Everything important on the East Coast is a day trip away. Additionally, we've got amazing forests, woods, farmland, and other land throughout the state, so if you love nature, you'll love it here. Outdoor sports are popular, including winter sports (the skiing is great here, though not compared to states like CO). Central PA is also a cheap place to live if you want to come here. The only downsides are the business laws aren't that great (not bad either, but not great), and taxes are higher than New Hampshire (the other state I'd move to if PA weren't on the table).

EDIT: where I live, Philly is actually only an hour an a half away, and it's accessible by train. My girlfriend and I go there every other week or so for concerts, Phillies games, off-Broadway shows, etc. It's a blast, and you can live in other places that are very pro-gun (Lancaster County and Bucks County, specifically) to be even closer. You could very easily have your cake (metropolitan access) and eat it too (live in a rural, pro-gun area). PA rocks.

Mac5.56
03-18-13, 21:23

I've had days that cold without a windchill. I wont deny it either, I'll confess that those temps are ****ing cold!

mikelowrey
03-18-13, 21:31
I'll throw some insight in for Pennsylvania since I haven't seen anyone say much about it here.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why PA doesn't rank higher in gun-friendly lists (including the Brady lists :sarcastic:), because compared to many places in the United States, it's amazing for gun owners.

NFA is 100% legal.
Shall-issue license (not permit) that requires no training, no fingerprints -- nothing but a fee (varies by county) and a few minutes of your time.
No duty to inform.
Recording police perfectly allowed (2-party consent does not apply to public officials here).
"No gun" signs DO NOT carry legal weight in criminal trespass (in NH, if you carry at a place with a "no guns allowed" sign, you are guilty of criminal trespass if caught).
VERY pro-gun, despite going blue in Presidential elections. Our recent castle law vote (which would have passed in 2005 with Florida if we didn't have a Dem governor that vetoed it multiple times) passed 164-37/43-4. And unlike New Hampshire or Colorado, we actually have liberals LEAVING the state for neighboring states (MD, NY, NJ) and pro-gunners MOVING TO the state from neighboring states. It's getting more pro-gun here every day. (We also have a Republican House, Senate, and Governor at the moment)

It's about as pro-gun as you can get. The only weaknesses are you can't carry a loaded long gun in your car and private purchases are outlawed for handguns. Oh, and handgun purchases in the state are kept in a sales database by the State Police, which is total bullshit (but it's not a registry, because if you acquire a handgun through other means [moving to PA from out of state, for example], you don't have to register it or anything).

Aside from gun laws, it's an amazing place to live. Here in Central PA, I've got access to NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. within 2.5 hours, Pittsburgh within 3.5, and Boston within 6. Everything important on the East Coast is a day trip away. Additionally, we've got amazing forests, woods, farmland, and other land throughout the state, so if you love nature, you'll love it here. Outdoor sports are popular, including winter sports (the skiing is great here, though not compared to states like CO). Central PA is also a cheap place to live if you want to come here. The only downsides are the business laws aren't that great (not bad either, but not great), and taxes are higher than New Hampshire (the other state I'd move to if PA weren't on the table).

Wow, this has been very very informative.

VIP3R 237
03-18-13, 22:39
Also, chadbag, that sounds decent. Don't they have a state gun?

Yes the 1911 is the Utah State Gun.

I love Utah, almost everyone owns a gun or ten and the state has alot of good values overall. However after a semester in northern Utah (Logan) I froze and I came back to sunny St. George where snow is a once yearly phenomenon.

Guns & Ammo ranked Utah as the #4 best state for gun owners in 2013.

VooDoo6Actual
03-18-13, 22:45
Got to be Alaska
Mt. McKinley, Prospect Creek

Preferred User
03-18-13, 22:50
Indiana was good for a long time, then former Fort Wayne mayor Paul Helmke became president of the Brady Campaign and now he thinks Indiana should follow along with the antis. He has talked his buddy and current mayor of Fort Wayne Tom Henry into joining mayors against guns (or whatever the name of the group is).

http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_political_discussion/173439-fort_wayne_voters_tom_henry_needs_to_go.html

http://www.indianashooter.com/indiana-news/20640-no-suprise-mayor-tom-henry-fort-wayne-calling-stricter-gun-laws.html

http://www.angrywhiteboy.org/2009/11/09/fort-wayne-mayor-tom-henry-member-of-anti-2nd-amendment-group/

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/130114-mayors-asgainst-illegal-funs-186820271.html

Edit FWIW Idaho is the most red state around and everyone has guns, Montana is good for guns as long as they can keep the rich liberals from buying up all the land and ruining everything, Utah is very pro-2A except for the interlopers moving to the SLC area.

AKDoug
03-18-13, 23:27
Why the hangup on a metropolitan area? What exactly do you need from the city?

JoshNC
03-18-13, 23:44
Yeah, I don't get the "only cold weather" thingy.

If freedom and a decent cost of living meant wearing shorts and sweating a little....wouldn't you do it?

I don't get the attraction of the cold. I like wearing shorts almost year round, no coats and never having to deal with ice or snow.

-brickboy240

I would live in the carribean if I could have concealed carry, low taxes, and the ability to collect and shoot all manner of modern military arms.

Different strokes for different folks.

A lot of great info in this thread. It has me thinking about where I will spend my time/money to ski now that CO is out. I love UT and am thinking I will also try WY and ID.

Preferred User
03-19-13, 00:01
Coeur d'Alene (http://coeurdalene.org/)

Some Pics (http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/idaho/images/850389/title/tubbs-hill-coeur-dalene-photo)

chadbag
03-19-13, 00:03
Edit FWIW Idaho is the most red state around and everyone has guns, Montana is good for guns as long as they can keep the rich liberals from buying up all the land and ruining everything, Utah is very pro-2A except for the interlopers moving to the SLC area.

Idaho wasn't this past election in terms of presidential voting. Only two states had red in every county: Utah and Oklahoma.

see: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/
(several others out there as well -- this one shows the blue counties in ID as well as the more purplish color showing it was red but more blue influence)

Idaho is nice. Was in Boise a month ago for a night of Victor Wooten Band.

---

Magic_Salad0892
03-20-13, 00:28
Why the hangup on a metropolitan area? What exactly do you need from the city?

I've always grown up near a metro area, and it's hard for me to be away from it. I'm a night person, and I like being able to have access to 24 hour stuff. The city just seems to move faster, and I've always liked that.

Magic_Salad0892
03-20-13, 00:32

NFA is 100% legal.
No duty to inform.

EDIT: where I live, Philly is actually only an hour an a half away, and it's accessible by train. My girlfriend and I go there every other week or so for concerts, Phillies games, off-Broadway shows, etc. It's a blast, and you can live in other places that are very pro-gun (Lancaster County and Bucks County, specifically) to be even closer. You could very easily have your cake (metropolitan access) and eat it too (live in a rural, pro-gun area). PA rocks.

My girlfriend actually pitched that one at me today, and I think it sounds pretty great. So it's between Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Indiana.

I really appreciate all the information in this thread guys, you're really helping me out.

We've decided for sure that we are going to move. Now we're just scouting locations on where to settle in the next year.

If PA is still pro-gun next year, I think that's where I'm gonna push for.

AKDoug
03-20-13, 10:57
I've always grown up near a metro area, and it's hard for me to be away from it. I'm a night person, and I like being able to have access to 24 hour stuff. The city just seems to move faster, and I've always liked that. Good enough. Along with that speed comes more crime, more dirt bags and gun control ideas :D

DreadPirateMoyer
03-20-13, 11:12
My girlfriend actually pitched that one at me today, and I think it sounds pretty great. So it's between Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Indiana.

I really appreciate all the information in this thread guys, you're really helping me out.

We've decided for sure that we are going to move. Now we're just scouting locations on where to settle in the next year.

If PA is still pro-gun next year, I think that's where I'm gonna push for.

It will be. :) Let me know if you decide to come and I'll help you get familiar with the area. I highly recommend Central or Eastern PA; good mix of rural, mountainous, suburban, and urban stuff. Western PA has nothing but Pittsburgh, which is more like a big town than a city, and 200 miles of forest. It's awful. It's the land that time forgot. :-P

Not to mention living in Western PA isolates you from the rest of the East Coast -- one of the best parts of living in PA.

Striker
03-20-13, 11:49
I've always grown up near a metro area, and it's hard for me to be away from it. I'm a night person, and I like being able to have access to 24 hour stuff. The city just seems to move faster, and I've always liked that.

What is it about Oregon that has you wanting to uproot for snow country? And, out of curiosity, have you ever lived in the snow?

trio
03-20-13, 15:03
Move into the mountains of West Virginia...up near Monogahalia State Forest

Charleston is a big enough metro area

Good firearms laws....everything is cheap...

Hell, their state motto is "Mountains Always Free"

Rmplstlskn
03-20-13, 19:18
A woman?...

What makes you think I'm a woman?

I'm talking about your GIRLFRIEND you mentioned who likes it cold...

Rmpl

Magic_Salad0892
03-20-13, 19:22

Rmpl

Oh. Duh. I'm a retard.

What is it about Oregon that has you wanting to uproot for snow country? And, out of curiosity, have you ever lived in the snow?

It's hard to put a reason on why we're wanting to leave Oregon. We just agree that it feels right. And I've lived in the snow for a bit when I lived in Washington State, and I loved it.

It will be. :) Let me know if you decide to come and I'll help you get familiar with the area. I highly recommend Central or Eastern PA; good mix of rural, mountainous, suburban, and urban stuff. Western PA has nothing but Pittsburgh, which is more like a big town than a city, and 200 miles of forest. It's awful. It's the land that time forgot. :-P

Not to mention living in Western PA isolates you from the rest of the East Coast -- one of the best parts of living in PA.

That doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I appreciate it, man. I'll let you know if we decide on it for sure.

Good enough. Along with that speed comes more crime, more dirt bags and gun control ideas :D

Somebody has to be around to tell the liberals that they're wrong. :dance3:

Ryno12
03-20-13, 19:51

Rmpl

Don't feel bad, it's easy to confuse him for a chick. I remember reading somewhere that he has the hots for Colin Farrell. :D

Sent from my phone cause my Commodore 64 is in the shop.

Magic_Salad0892
03-20-13, 20:00
Don't feel bad, it's easy to confuse him for a chick. I remember reading somewhere that he has the hots for Colin Farrell. :D

Omfg. I said he was a good actor ONE TIME. :lol:

Ryno12
03-20-13, 20:05
Omfg. I said he was a good actor ONE TIME. :lol:

Oh yeah, maybe that was it. ;)

Sent from my phone cause my Commodore 64 is in the shop.

TacMedic556
03-20-13, 20:28
Montana is the 4th BEST state for Gun Rights. Our last governor wrote a letter to firearms companies, encouraging them to move here. We have some great companies here doing good work. Open carry state, with an easy CCW process. No waiting period. Great Libertarian demographic that lives to let live. Great place.

http://media.away.com//away/images/glacier-national-park---robert-glusic----photodisc-na008587.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
03-20-13, 20:30
You guys are making this a hard decision. :cool:

I really appreciate it, guys. Montana looks gorgeous.

TacMedic556
03-20-13, 20:31
The more you look into Montana, the more you will want to be in Montana. It is The Last Best Place, and "What America Used To Be!"
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/beautiful-montana-lynn-bawden.jpg
http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/wp-content/elkoncar2.jpg

AKDoug
03-21-13, 00:16
Yeah, but you don't have the city thing he's looking for...Hell our largest city in Alaska it three times the size of Montana's largest city. Western Montana is fine. My inlaws live in N.E. Montana, what a shit hole.

chadbag
03-27-13, 23:18
Another NH downer:

http://hosted2.ap.org/NHCON/c26bcf5af6bd4fda84f3e73888f72aef/Article_2013-03-24-Deadly%20Force/id-d0e31a564a97453b8a8b5e0de6a9dbb9?__utma=232497037.1626323831.1354645035.1364129751.1364209790.97&__utmb=232497037.9.9.1364209964938&__utmc=232497037&__utmx=-&

----

jwfuhrman
03-28-13, 06:59
Indiana has an extremely low cost of living, especially the Fort Wayne area(plus there is a 1000 yard range, which I just happen to Manage).

I love my State. We have had an awesome Governor the last 8 here and we elected an excellent one for the next 4(hopefully 8) as well.

The_War_Wagon
03-28-13, 07:48
PA... if you like decent pizza, hot wings, and beer to go with your firearms freedom! :cool:

Magic_Salad0892
03-28-13, 18:11
Indiana has an extremely low cost of living, especially the Fort Wayne area(plus there is a 1000 yard range, which I just happen to Manage).

I love my State. We have had an awesome Governor the last 8 here and we elected an excellent one for the next 4(hopefully 8) as well.

As somebody who lives in IN, do you think that you guys are starting to get an influx of liberal voters? Or that rights will be safe there?

PA... if you like decent pizza, hot wings, and beer to go with your firearms freedom! :cool:

I am seriously considering it.

jwfuhrman
03-28-13, 21:39
As somebody who lives in IN, do you think that you guys are starting to get an influx of liberal voters? Or that rights will be safe there?

The State itself is still safe. The voters in the major metropolitan areas (Indianapolis, Chicagoland) vote retard, but other wise 80% of the state is non-liberal voting.

Mjolnir
03-29-13, 08:09

Good luck driving into and out of NH...

Mjolnir
03-29-13, 08:19
I am on some NH focussed mail list (called NH Journal) that spams me regularly. Having lived in NH previously, I got on all sorts of lists. They tend to be to the right in terms of their focus and GOP oriented.

They sent out a recent mailing that claimed some poll showed huge support for gun control in NH. They linked to this page

I fear for NH. The Massholes moving there are more than taking over in terms of numerical strength, even when it is just along the border area. How else could Carol Shea-Porter get relected and Shaheen stay Senator and keep electing a (D) Governor?

What Will describes is historically correct. I fear it is changing.

--

Interestingly enough, my research turned up what you said and presented. That and if you wish to drive OUT of NH one travels thru the badlands of NY and driving with two carbines, two pistols and 2k rounds heading to a class and getting pulled over does NOT sound like a good time...

d90king
03-29-13, 09:09
South eastern PA is a great area (especially Chester County) , but I don't know that it really meets your "cold" criteria... There is some decent skiing within a couple hours though...

I see you're from Oregon, maybe VT would work for you. Definitely cold and I think it has pretty good gun laws across the board, not sure about NFA though...

Magic_Salad0892
03-29-13, 13:59
South eastern PA is a great area (especially Chester County) , but I don't know that it really meets your "cold" criteria... There is some decent skiing within a couple hours though...

I see you're from Oregon, maybe VT would work for you. Definitely cold and I think it has pretty good gun laws across the board, not sure about NFA though...

VT was already excluded due to suppressors not being legal.

DreadPirateMoyer
03-29-13, 14:32
NH is on the verge of losing "Stand Your Ground." The Massholes are turning it into the next CO already. :\

mikelowrey
03-29-13, 23:43
You know magic salad,

I think PA is a good choice, the only thing is, you need to find out the good counties where you can get more for your money, looking into PA for the future.

Anybody from PA would like to come in and recommend good counties ?

montanadave
03-30-13, 00:22
Yeah, but you don't have the city thing he's looking for...Hell our largest city in Alaska it three times the size of Montana's largest city. Western Montana is fine. My inlaws live in N.E. Montana, what a shit hole.

Hell, all of Montana has turned into a shithole. You seriously DO NOT want to move here. I'd be out of here tomorrow if I could afford to leave. Just a miserable place to live. All those pictures are photoshopped.

DreadPirateMoyer
03-30-13, 00:50
Good counties: Bucks, Berks, Lancaster, Dauphin, Lebanon. All put you near urban centers, mountains, amazing forests, and rural areas without being insane in cost or regulatory burden. There are other good ones, of course, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with that meet Salad's criteria.

Avoid living in Chester and Philadelphia counties. Insane regulatory burden (zoning and other development laws), but great to visit.

Magic_Salad0892
03-30-13, 00:53
Hell, all of Montana has turned into a shithole. You seriously DO NOT want to move here. I'd be out of here tomorrow if I could afford to leave. Just a miserable place to live. All those pictures are photoshopped.

Why? What's wrong with it?

(Or is this a ploy to make me not consider it because I'm from CA/Oregon?)

Good counties: Bucks, Berks, Lancaster, Dauphin, Lebanon. All put you near urban centers, mountains, amazing forests, and rural areas without being insane in cost or regulatory burden. There are other good ones, of course, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with that meet Salad's criteria.

Avoid living in Chester and Philadelphia counties. Insane regulatory burden (zoning and other development laws), but great to visit.

Thanks for the advice, man. :)

mikelowrey
03-30-13, 02:41

Sweet! I was looking for house prices in pike county, I know its close to upstate NY, but I dont mind looking at others counties ;)

jpmuscle
03-30-13, 02:50
Sweet! I was looking for house prices in pike county, I know its close to upstate NY, but I dont mind looking at others counties ;)

Butler was pretty cheap living from what I remember.

Heartland Hawk
03-30-13, 09:50
SOUTH DAKOTA!!!!!

Second freeest state in the union (after North Dakota)

Open carry
CCW (costs $10; good for four years, no class/training requirement)

Suppressors/SBR's legal.

NO STATE INCOME TAX

second lowest unemployment rate in the U.S.

Very Strong Economy (well in the black)

We dont believe in "Feel Good Bullshit Social Programs" here that suck money out of the state and your paycheck. You want money? You work!

State legislature still believes in the US Constitution.

Land still relatively inexpensive.

Cost of living is still way low.

Biggest city in the state is Sioux Falls (approx 160,000 people)

Almost no crime statewide (once in a while a drunk tries to knock over a video casino place).

Plenty cold in the winter.

Honest, midwest work ethic.

This is the heart of the midwest up here. I moved here and never looked back.

If you love the outdoors; fishing, ice fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, then this state is for you. :p

theblackknight
03-30-13, 11:54
I'm from Indiana. It's not bad, Indianapolis is a way better bigger city for us gun folk then chi or detroit. I just like being closer to the beach and the mountains.

Mjolnir
04-01-13, 05:45

NFA is 100% legal.
No duty to inform.

My buddy lives in Stroudsburg, PA and his local sheriff made it absolutely as difficult as possible for him to obtain his CPL.

p22shooter30
04-01-13, 14:27
I love living in North Dakota. very far away from both coasts. stupid Canadians come down to go shopping on the weekends and they don't know how to drive. well, I guess they drive better than people with south Dakota plates.