PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with the Sierra 80 gr SMKs?

markm
03-18-13, 13:39
I was mis shipped 500 sierra 80s instead of 77s and didn't catch it unitl I cracked open the box and loaded one of them. :eek:

Looks like we'll be getting a lot of single feed long range practice in soon. I'm going to start loading these to a rough OAL of 2.45". That gives me a .020" jump on my Bergara.

Any experience with these javelines?

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-18-13, 18:02
that sucks I dont think the olgive is long enough to even load them to mag length.

sinister
03-18-13, 20:28
Too long for magazine feed, but will spank a 77 at 500 and 600 for wind-bucking. You'll need a 1-8 or 1-7 twist.

A 5.56 throat will get you about a 2.500 - 2.550 overall length. A .223 civvy or rapid-fire throat will be around 2.450 - 2.500.

Hover around 24.0 - 24.5 grains of propellant unless you're using a Tubb Carrier Weight (then you can go up to 25.0 of Varget with a 2.500 length).

VihtaVuori 540 will get you an extra 150 fps with less pressure than Varget or Reloader 15.

markm
03-19-13, 08:06
that sucks I dont think the olgive is long enough to even load them to mag length.

No chance of them going mag length. I started to load a few and was like... WTF is my seating die set at?? I wheeled it down to get it to 2.25" and there was a hefty gap at the case mouth. :p

I was like... those ****ers at Sierra changed the ogive. :mad:

Anyway... I'm going to make this into a learning project. Ordered a single feed follower from Sinclair yesterday.

Too long for magazine feed, but will spank a 77 at 500 and 600 for wind-bucking. You'll need a 1-8 or 1-7 twist.

A 5.56 throat will get you about a 2.500 - 2.550 overall length. A .223 civvy or rapid-fire throat will be around 2.450 - 2.500.

Hover around 24.0 - 24.5 grains of propellant unless you're using a Tubb Carrier Weight (then you can go up to 25.0 of Varget with a 2.500 length).

VihtaVuori 540 will get you an extra 150 fps with less pressure than Varget or Reloader 15.

Yep. I put some together last night. 2.475 OAL to start. This will also give me the opportunity to burn up the box of 75 gr AMAXs that have been sitting in my drawer forever.

ALCOAR
03-19-13, 08:08
What's the BC of those?.....got a pic of it and a 77gr. side by side by chance?

I'm not scared to hand feed them on a calm day and make another honest attempt with a 16" .223 Recce @ 1k....you roll em, and I'll waste em :D

eta...I just found out the BC part of my question:

.420 @ 2200 fps and above
.400 between 2200 and 1800 fps
.393 @ 1800 fps and below

Killer BC for a .224 projectile, damn shame you can't sport 20/30 of them in a pmag.

markm
03-19-13, 08:11
What's the BC of those?.....got a pic of it and a 77gr. side by side by chance?

I'm not scared to hand feed them on a calm day and make another honest attempt with a 16" .223 Recce....you roll em, and I'll waste em :D

I'll get a pic tonight. The kicker in this is that I had a box with about 30 77 grains left in the bottom and I poured the 80s in and friggin mixed them.... When you're on... you're on. And Sunday... I WAS ON FIRE! :rolleyes:

So I sorted them off by length. I'll ship you a batch if you want! Let me see that I've got any kind of load with promise first. I've got 500 of these to burn up. I welcome any help in this!!!

(when I think I've got a load... I'll ship you 50 to try... I'll PM you if anything looks like it has potential)

Ironman8
03-19-13, 08:14
I'll get a pic tonight. The kicker in this is that I had a box with about 30 77 grains left in the bottom and I poured the 80s in and friggin mixed them.... When you're on... you're on. And Sunday... I WAS ON FIRE! :rolleyes:

So I sorted them off by length. I'll ship you a batch if you want! Let me see that I've got any kind of load with promise first. I've got 500 of these to burn up. I welcome any help in this!!!

(when I think I've got a load... I'll ship you 50 to try... I'll PM you if anything looks like it has potential)

Don't you/PB have a .223 bolt gun? Should do nicely there if you have one...

markm
03-19-13, 08:23
Don't you/PB have a .223 bolt gun? Should do nicely there if you have one...

The thing is that the 5R is a nominal 1/9. It does shoot 77s like a champ, but these 80s are significantly longer.

We are going to try them with the suppressor removed. The REM 700 in .223 is a pain in the dick to single feed... It's not as friendly as the .308s are.

ALCOAR
03-19-13, 08:23
I've been saying now for perhaps a cpl. yrs., and I'm pretty sure in discussion w/ you or PB about custom rolling, and hand feeding a heavy true LR .224 projectile.

I have no problem hand feeding a load that allows me to get on a 2/3rd size steel torso @ 1k with a 16" .223/5.56 Recce reliably. Especially if it's heavy enough to really start generating one of my very favorite sounds, the infamous 1k Bang....................................Ding :cool:

Seriously, the 1k bang....ding is the most addictive thing I've found yet in the world of shooting. Nothing like it, period.

You, and PB have thrown out a generous offer on a few occasions to send me some of your beautiful bean footage....and if you brew up a hot loaded .224 bullet w/ a BC above or around .400, count on me making it a small project of mine.

markm
03-19-13, 08:27
Cool! We're Alpha testing on Saturday. Wish I could take my Chargemaster with me to the desert. :)

Ironman8
03-19-13, 08:28
The thing is that the 5R is a nominal 1/9. It does shoot 77s like a champ, but these 80s are significantly longer.

We are going to try them with the suppressor removed. The REM 700 in .223 is a pain in the dick to single feed... It's not as friendly as the .308s are.

Ah gotcha...yeah good call on removing the suppressor. Hopefully it stabilizes. And would a 2.475" OAL not fit in the mag of the 700?

markm
03-19-13, 08:35
And would a 2.475" OAL not fit in the mag of the 700?

Haven't tried. But I'd be shocked if they did. These things are goofy looking long. :p

sinister
03-19-13, 08:42
There was a specific magazine that you could use for semi-feeding 80s but it wasn't successful.

They milled out a slot in the front of the magazine to accommodate the longer cartridge overall length, and the rounds were single-stacked at an angle to get the longest round possible in both the box and mag well. You had to change out your bolt catch, and once you did I don't think you could use standard-length rounds.

You don't really need a single-feed follower. My technique (when using a National Match rifle) is to place the round into the port and push as far as you can with your pinky, then hit the bolt release. Those of you with big sausage fingers can use a standard pencil and push the cartridge into the chamber with the eraser end. I always seem to lose the pencil.

Ironman8
03-19-13, 08:51
These things are goofy looking long. :p

Just google image searched it...you're not kidding!

markm
03-19-13, 09:16
Just google image searched it...you're not kidding!

You can load them much shorter... not mag length.. but shorter. My guess is that the jump to the lands would make them shoot like crap though. The bullet base on a 77 gr sticks WAY further into the case than the 80s do. There's a lot more net case capacity with the 80s compared to the 77s.

markm
03-19-13, 09:18
You don't really need a single-feed follower. My technique (when using a National Match rifle) is to place the round into the port and push as far as you can with your pinky, then hit the bolt release. Those of you with big sausage fingers can use a standard pencil and push the cartridge into the chamber with the eraser end. I always seem to lose the pencil.

I like gadgets though. :p

taliv
03-19-13, 20:06
the 80g SMK is an awesome bullet. I always jumped them and never had a problem. They are not finicky like the 90g or DTAC or bergers etc (which all shoot fantastic, but are sometimes just finicky... i have some theories). so don't waste too much time trying to stick them right at the lands.

when the MIAD grip kit first came out, and I saw the little insert with 3 holes, i immediately stuck three of my 80g loads in there and carried them around. i'd often be blasting away with my AR at IPSC cardboard or something, and then decide to shoot a couple long range rounds for a change of pace and out of the grip kit. change of pace is usually a learning event. :)

24.3 grains of varget was my load.

for loading at the range, look into LE Wilson hand dies and an arbor press. lee or sinclair hand primer and a powder trickler and a pocket digital scale (dillon sells a decent credit-card sized one)

great for working up loads at the range.

markm
03-19-13, 20:57
the 80g SMK is an awesome bullet. I always jumped them and never had a problem. They are not finicky like the 90g or DTAC or bergers etc (which all shoot fantastic, but are sometimes just finicky... i have some theories). so don't waste too much time trying to stick them right at the lands.

Music to my ears. :)

24.3 grains of varget was my load.

Loaded some with 24.8 of Varget tonight.

for loading at the range, look into LE Wilson hand dies and an arbor press. lee or sinclair hand primer and a powder trickler and a pocket digital scale (dillon sells a decent credit-card sized one)

great for working up loads at the range.

Have the ARBOR press and Wilson dies... just no die for .223

markm
03-19-13, 20:58
Crappy dumb fone pic for Trident...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/ammo_zpscda212ea.jpg

T2C
03-19-13, 21:02
An 80g SMK with 24.5 grains of Varget is my 600 yard AR target load. It bucks the wind a little better than the 77g round. You have to feed them one at a time, because they won't fit in the magazine.

ALCOAR
03-19-13, 22:31
Now that just looks like a true LR pill...very noticeable difference visually.

Just based on the visual "form factor", you can tell that the 80gr. SMK was meant for flying. The actual BC measurements just confirm that in science.

http://www.loadammo.com/images/BC_chart.jpg

Good luck, and let us know for sure how it all works out. Thanks for the pic as well brother :)

markm
03-20-13, 08:19
Good luck, and let us know for sure how it all works out. Thanks for the pic as well brother :)

I have 4 variants of these loaded. I can't wait.

markm
03-24-13, 10:15
These bullets shot really well. We lined up 3 steel targets at 200 yards and shot at painted dots on them to start out the day.

The wolf primers and H322 once again were the winner. We shot 1" (1/2 MOA) groups with several guns. The OAL was 2.475"

2 interesting points:

1. The 1/9 Rem 700 5R shot these fine. With the silencer mounted even.

2. When we moved out to 1000 yards, we had to adjust the scope DOWN 1.5 Mils compared to the 77 gr SMKs.

markm
03-24-13, 10:17

PM sent for ship info....

MrSmitty
03-24-13, 11:06
Interesting, thanks for the update. I'm surprised they shot so well out of the 1/9, that goes against everything the interwebz tells you...

These bullets shot really well. We lined up 3 steel targets at 200 yards and shot at painted dots on them to start out the day.

The wolf primers and H322 once again were the winner. We shot 1" (1/2 MOA) groups with several guns. The OAL was 2.475"

2 interesting points:

2. When we moved out to 1000 yards, we had to adjust the scope DOWN 1.5 Mils compared to the 77 gr SMKs.

T2C
03-24-13, 11:58
How did the 80g SMK rounds group at 1000 yards?

sinister
03-24-13, 12:00
I met some youngsters at Camp Perry whose experience also ran counter to "Accepted practice" -- they said since their 80s outshot anything else they had at 200 they shot 80s standing.

Since each round is shot single-fed, slow fire (one minute a round) they didn't lose anything time and recoil-wise and gained the advantage of shooting on-call.

markm
03-24-13, 12:13

Not sure. Hits are somewhat hard to call with .223 at 1000. 308 and 300 you can see and hear. And it's a good bumpy haul out to that distance so we shoot it for a few hours before retrieving the gong.

Maybe next time we'll set up an extra gong for the 80s by themselves.

markm
03-24-13, 12:14
I met some youngsters at Camp Perry whose experience also ran counter to "Accepted practice" -- they said since their 80s outshot anything else they had at 200 they shot 80s standing.

Since each round is shot single-fed, slow fire (one minute a round) they didn't lose anything time and recoil-wise and gained the advantage of shooting on-call.

Yep... I'm getting faster at feeding them. I just wish I had a bolt release on the right side of the ARs. :p

T2C
03-24-13, 12:26
Not sure. Hits are somewhat hard to call with .223 at 1000. 308 and 300 you can see and hear. And it's a good bumpy haul out to that distance so we shoot it for a few hours before retrieving the gong.

Maybe next time we'll set up an extra gong for the 80s by themselves.

How big are the gongs?

If you set up a paper target I would be interested to know how the 80 grainers do for you. I am contemplating setting up a .223 to supplement my .308 for shooting F Class.

markm
03-24-13, 16:07
How big are the gongs?

If you set up a paper target I would be interested to know how the 80 grainers do for you. I am contemplating setting up a .223 to supplement my .308 for shooting F Class.

The gongs are IPSC size. It'd be hard to give them a fair shake on most days due to the wind in the area. It's never very fast wind, but it's very inconsistent. Maybe we'll stick wind flags out there again.

jpipes
03-24-13, 17:44
This is excellent data, thanks for posting.

If you like them with Varget, work up a load with 8208...it'll make your head spin. The 80+ gr bullet class turns the .223 into an absolutely amazing rifle, especially if you are not tied into a gasser. I run pointed 82 bergers at 2900 (via AI mags and a bolt gun), and it's a beautiful thing to 1,000. By far, my favorite to shoot!

ALCOAR
03-24-13, 18:17
PM sent for ship info....

Awesome brother!....I'll send you my addy, and I'll throw you some keymod accessories, or something for your kind gesture :D

No doubt will be submitting a complete evaluation on them as well.

I'll run a 5-10rd. string through the 35p proof screen for velocity data....followed by a brief sight-in @ 200yds, followed by a 10rd. accuracy/precision group. At that point I'll have a dead nuts 200yd zero, and a true MV for calculating my ballistic chart for your load/ my rifle.....give or take 30rds fired in the process.

After that, I'll let em sail at a LR locale....w/ my cams going of course :)

taliv
03-24-13, 22:08

cool

i'd be careful with that though. bullets in theory shoot best when they are right on the edge of stabilized, which yours no doubt were. your velocity was probably a little faster than the typical AR, which would help. but a change in weather/DA could take you from stabilized to not pretty quick. i wouldn't push my luck with a baffle strike by assuming these are still stabilized every time you go out. just saying i'd still throw a round into paper before putting the can on to make sure

edit: and there's a good chance your barrel could be twisted a little faster than 1/9, especially if it is button rifled

jstone
03-24-13, 23:35
Markm do you have the ability to measure the bearing surface of the 80's? With them shooting so well in the 1in9 i wonder if the bearing surface is close to the same as the 77's, and most of the added length is from the ogive to the meplat. For being only 3 grains heavier it is a lot longer.

If you don't mind getting rid of some ill trade you some 77's with or without cannelure for some 80's to try out. I would order some 80's, but i do not want 500 if there not much better than my 75 amax. I could throw some other bullets in as well or just give you more 77's than 80's so you come out ahead.

RyanB
03-25-13, 02:41
I have a 20" .223AI in the works on a Surgeon action. .435 BC at 3050 FPS is the goal.

For what it's worth there are 6.5 and 6.8 based .224 wildcats that can get an 80 into a mag.

markm
03-25-13, 07:43
cool

i'd be careful with that though. bullets in theory shoot best when they are right on the edge of stabilized, which yours no doubt were. your velocity was probably a little faster than the typical AR, which would help. but a change in weather/DA could take you from stabilized to not pretty quick. i wouldn't push my luck with a baffle strike by assuming these are still stabilized every time you go out. just saying i'd still throw a round into paper before putting the can on to make sure

edit: and there's a good chance your barrel could be twisted a little faster than 1/9, especially if it is button rifled

Agreed on all points.

markm
03-25-13, 07:44
If you don't mind getting rid of some ill trade you some 77's with or without cannelure for some 80's to try out. I would order some 80's, but i do not want 500 if there not much better than my 75 amax. I could throw some other bullets in as well or just give you more 77's than 80's so you come out ahead.

Just PM me your info... I'll send you some. No need to Reciprocate. I don't mind giving bullets that Pappabear paid for away! :D

markm
03-25-13, 07:47
If you like them with Varget, work up a load with 8208...

H322 is what delivered. Varget was only MOA. 8208 was similar I think. I know we could get 8208 to hum if we did a work up. But good old No Brainer H322 loaded to max .223 charge slam dunked out of the gate.

I'll run a 5-10rd. string through the 35p proof screen for velocity data....

I hope they give good SDs, but be honest in your findings... even if for some reason this load sucks for you.

jstone
03-26-13, 01:02
Just PM me your info... I'll send you some. No need to Reciprocate. I don't mind giving bullets that Pappabear paid for away! :D

I appreciate the offer. I sent you a pm. I did not give you my info yet. I have to give you or pb something in return. in the pm i sent you a small list of things i have. Im sitting on a lot of supplies so its no big deal to trade. If i could find a smaller than 500 count box i would just buy it. I just want to try them out to see if i like them better than the 75 a max.

If either of you shoot 308 i have some 308 stuff i can't use. I can't even seem to give it away. Just let me know what you are interested in. I just can't accept something without some form of trade/payment. Like i said i appreciate the offer, but i don't feel right receiving something for nothing.

markm
03-26-13, 08:17
PM returned. I didn't measure the bearing surface since I'll be sending you some bullets anyway. ;)

Stumpnav
03-26-13, 18:03
I run the 80 SMK for my 600 yd National Match load. I will shoot them for the standing 200 yd as well but usually stick with the 77 SMK since they are cheaper.

I've tested most of the 80s out there and keep coming back to the SMK.

I've had the best luck with TAC and RL15 both at 24.5 gr.

jstone
03-27-13, 02:58
PM returned. I didn't measure the bearing surface since I'll be sending you some bullets anyway. ;)

Ill have to pick up another comparator. I have never measured the bearing surface length, but I want to try it. Plus I'm really interested in the differences in bearing surface length of the 77 and 80mk.

Does anybody run 80 matchkings in a noveske stainless barrel with their mod 0 match chqmber?

ALCOAR
03-27-13, 15:23
F**king awesome Mark!

You made my day for sure when I saw the package in the mail box. Thanks again so much for allowing me the opportunity to try these out.

I'm gonna get up at dawn in the morning before work, and do the velocity/accuracy/zero on this stuff, and then try to go back to the LR locale after work.

These pills just look sexy as hell! They make normal .223/5.56 rounds look ghey :cool:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/3f0263c1-3f34-4e66-b796-2dfa96f4d9d7_zps366b8c35.jpg

L-R: MM 80gr. SMK / XM856 / XM855 / XM193 / Vor-TX 55gr. TSX FB / Hornady 55gr. Vmax / Winc. PDX1 60gr. Split Core / MM 80gr. SMK
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/0a2c17ba-035a-4ced-ab54-5855fa6a34d5_zpsa6c6e83e.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/1c036f4f-9e54-4aec-873f-2fbf0e299c6f_zpsd8c5e89c.jpg

markm
03-27-13, 16:10
I hope they run good for you. I'm interested in the Chrono data...

(they're almost as tall as the whole mag!)

sinister
03-27-13, 16:28
Trident, check your throat dimensions for cartridge overall length (ideally with a Stoney Point and an 80) before you fire a cartridge in it. A GI Colt can take a long 5.56 cartridge (2.500-2.550) while a .223 Remington might take shorter (2.450-2.500) -- all depending on the ogive and your leade angle and throat wear.

ALCOAR
03-27-13, 16:44
Well shit I've gotten quickly outta my lane. Not being a reloader myself means I don't have the proper tool for that job. Moreover the fact that apparently I didn't even know I needed to signals a real lack of knowledge on my part in this aspect as well.

I was just gonna let em fly....:confused:

markm
03-27-13, 17:40
Well shit I've gotten quickly outta my lane. Not being a reloader myself means I don't have the proper tool for that job. Moreover the fact that apparently I didn't even know I needed to signals a real lack of knowledge on my part in this aspect as well.

I was just gonna let em fly....:confused:

Despite how they look... They're loaded pretty short. We shot them in a handful of random ARs and the bolt gun.

You could chamber one and tell right away if it's jamming....

ALCOAR
03-27-13, 18:07
I just chambered 3....all seem perfectly normal.

Precision measured the OAL from 10 random samples out of the 50....results below:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/a2ac0917-0a5a-4fe6-aab3-ad6bd110ea17_zpsa302458d.jpg

sinister
03-27-13, 18:28
Average 2.48, you should be good to go!

Just watchin' out for ya, buddy! :D

ALCOAR
03-27-13, 18:38
Good deal.....and it's back on like donkey kong again :D

I really appreciate you watching out Sinister, and your posts on here, as well as on the Hide are no doubt some of the most educational ones I read on the net. I can usually count on learning something new when I read a post of yours.

ETA: Mark, would you rather see one 10rd velocity string using one barrel (most likely 16"), or would you rather see two 5rd velocity strings using matching Rock SS barrels....one 16", the other 18"?

Leaning towards gathering another great data point for my ever ongoing Recce Vs. SPR hobby myself.

sinister
03-27-13, 19:07
Just one more thing -- if you've got an H3 (or heavier) buffer you can also back that up with a Tubb Carrier Weight ... they'll help keep your bolt carrier group locked a little longer so your brass doesn't stretch as much.

Rifle-length gas tube, no problem -- carbine or mid-length = higher port pressure and carrier speed. The heavier buffer and CWS are not absolutely necessary, but no need to risk dropped primers.

markm
03-27-13, 22:11
Dude.. chrono them however you want. Consider me an unlimited supply of these should you want more for more testing/shooting. These are easy to crank out.

The meplats on the 80s are monumentally less consistent than the 69 and 77 SMKs... so I could barely use OAL as an idea of where I was... kind of an average. They're seated with a Forster competition seating die.

I also didn't measure runout. I don't look into that type of thing unless the ammo won't shoot...

Pappabear
03-28-13, 00:22

They shot so well at 200 and so flat, I gotta think they are dead nuts on at 1K. The wind was blowing from our back and we have trouble hearing. And at the end of the day, after somebody goes 8 for 10 with a 308, Im not naming names but this guy was shooting Marks gun. :D That target is all blotched up and cant see the hits.

We'll try some more Saturday. I like to test rounds at 500, because you get less wind ****ed and its still a decent lob.

The load tolerated several barrels very well too.

markm
03-28-13, 07:57
We'll try some more Saturday. I like to test rounds at 500, because you get less wind ****ed and its still a decent lob.

This is the trick out at this spot. There's almost never a time where we aren't holding for wind. And we aren't patient enough to sit out there like Benchresters and wait for all the wind flags to get into synch.

jstone
03-28-13, 14:57
Trident another quick way to check if the bullet is in the lands is to color the bullet with a Sharpie then chamber it. It will show you if the bullet is in the lands.

ALCOAR
03-28-13, 15:58
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/f364a777-6a5c-416c-b8f3-9822bde5cc32_zpsf3a45306.jpg

The results show that these rounds are a tweak or two away from being perfect in my assessment.

The 10rd velocity string, and 10rd 100yd group expose perhaps some slight imperfections in terms of consistency....however if I had used 5rd data groups, this ammo would appear to be flawless, or otherwise perfect.

To illustrate perhaps some inconsistencies in the load, note the 2 true flyers, and then the tiny bug hole with 8rds in it directly on the bullseye. That bug hole is what it's all about!

At 200yds this stuff "settles" down, and we can really start to see the magic in this pill.

In the velocity string...note what shot number the 2469 was recorded at....it was the 7th shot fired into that string. So a 5rd string would have made this stuff look exponentially better.

Anyway.....data is below:)

Conditions:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/14eb48d2-5b34-4e03-9c87-247351ec1c9d_zps48170ac0.jpg

Temp: 67 F
Wind: NW @ 3mph
Elev: 754 ft.
Hum: 28%
Pres: 30.28 -->

Velocity:

Other 5rd strings were just to make sure everything was dialed in on the 35p prior to shooting the MM 80gr. SMK through it.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/0cf026c3-0645-4a53-8788-92414d9606e5_zps087c7018.jpg

Precision/accuracy 100/200yd groups

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/mm802_zps7c4f76b6.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/fe47153c-54f5-4c47-8a98-fed3d423ae23_zpsf0dc4aa0.jpg

ALCOAR
03-28-13, 16:35
Ballistic chart/cheat sheet:

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/181114c2-1107-4747-bc02-55ede72c3965_zpsb52cfce0.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/8c9bf05f-73a6-4e55-a2bc-b2f9b465eb5c_zpsc6f68fb9.jpg

MrSmitty
03-28-13, 18:25
Fellas, thank you for this collaboration. I love seeing this kind of data...

sinister
03-28-13, 20:14
Now, if you build a repeater (i.e., a Rem 700 or a Savage) capable of running long rounds you've got a potential (southern US) deer-buster to at least 250, or a 1,000-yard rifle.

To get to 1,000 with an M16/AR, crank your rear sight to your 600-yard setting and crank your front sight down 3 full revs. You should hit the black on the NRA/mil 1,000-yard bullseye.

markm
03-29-13, 08:10
The results show that these rounds are a tweak or two away from being perfect in my assessment.

Very cool. Yeah... we may bump the load up a little to see what we get. Might be able to trim that SD down closer to 10 or so.

We'll be out on the range tomorrow. So I'll take two more loadings out just to see if anything screams BINGO.

And I could also take a peek at what the bullet runout is.

Pappabear
03-29-13, 10:09
Now, if you build a repeater (i.e., a Rem 700 or a Savage) capable of running long rounds you've got a potential (southern US) deer-buster to at least 250, or a 1,000-yard rifle.

To get to 1,000 with an M16/AR, crank your rear sight to your 600-yard setting and crank your front sight down 3 full revs. You should hit the black on the NRA/mil 1,000-yard bullseye.

Thats interesting stuff right there jack. Pretty cool. You just need superman eyes aka 20 yr old eyes, to see a 1,000 yards. You can probably see those NRA targets better than steel on a hill. Ive only looked at them from 500 Iron sights on a NRA High Power match.

markm
03-29-13, 10:47
You just need superman eyes aka 20 yr old eyes, to see a 1,000 yards.

We'd need to pick up some border buddies at Home Depot to mark targets for us.:p

jstone
03-29-13, 19:12
Trident where were you able to get a rock barrel for your mrp? My mrp is remarkably accurate with its chrome lined factory barrel. I contacted Mike rock to see if I could get a barrel for the mrp. They said they could not do it.

Have you ever used one of the lmt factory stainless barrels or do you know of anybody who has used a converted barrel? I heard Marvin Pitts is doing conversions now. I he is I'm going to get a lijla barrel converted. I don't trust dbmg for the work.

That is some good shooting and iam jealous of your mrp setup. It is one hell of a rig. I don't know what it is about the mono's but they flat out shoot.

Thanks for any info you have.

RyanB
03-29-13, 19:23
Rock is the contractor that makes the MRP barrels.

ALCOAR
03-29-13, 19:35
Thanks for the kind words Jstone. RyanB is correct....however I'm not current on how solid the relationship is b/t LMT and Rock Creek atm. Over the last few years it appears to be dissolving....but a cpl. years back the MRP SS barrels were produced by Rock.

The MRP chassis will make just about any quality barrel look extremely accurate imho.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00616-1.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00600-1.jpg

markm
03-30-13, 14:56
Next shipment of ammo, Trident... I'll include our 77 grain which has been a champ in almost every gun we try it.

ALCOAR
03-30-13, 16:22
Keep it up Mark, and you'll ruin me to my usual factory produced loadings :p

Your ammo shot extremely clean through my rifle, and recoil was very mild as well. One of the best benefits to getting a .308 AR, is that all your 5.56 ARs feel like pellet guns.

With a 20rd. pmag, the hand feeding process gets a lot smoother at least in my setup. I keep a 20rd. mag seated once I chamber a fresh round so that I can get the bolt locked to the rear automatically for the next reload. Then I keep the mag in the well to aid as a "block" from having the new round fall out through the magwell while hand feeding it in. I just slightly unseat the mag to hit the bolt release and then re seat it.

jstone
03-31-13, 19:48
Thanks Trident and Ryan. I heard lmt was no longer using rock barrels. Ill just have to order a barrel from lmt and see how it does. I probably will pick up one of there rifle length chasis's. I bought the cqb so I could try out a piston setup that is not made by that bottom barrel company that starts with an L.

The accuracy of the mrp is great with there Cl barrel I can't wait to try a stainless barrel. I think if I get a 308 ar it will be the mws.

You should start reloading Trident. With a little bit of time you will have ammo that makes factory ammo look obsolete.

markm
04-01-13, 09:25
We went out Saturday and slung a few more of these. I didn't get to try an alternate load yet... But I wasted about 4-5 rounds shooting at the Thousand because I forgot to drop the adjustment down the 1.5 mils for the flatter shooting bullet.

We're both fried on shooting.. and we're taking a week or two off to catch our breath and get stuff done with the families.

jstone
06-22-13, 02:53
Markm I have a couple questions. I have been stuck loading 4000 rounds of pistol ammo for a buddy so I have not done anything with the 80s I got from you. It has taken me a while half of it has been single stage becasue the 550 is not set up for said caliber.

I was looking at sierras data and they say to use a minimum oal of 2.550. If I remember right your oal was 2.475. Did you ever try 2.550? Do you know how much of a jump it is at 2.475?

Have you run this load through any match chambers similar to noveskes match mod 0? It is optimized for the mk 262 mod 1. I would check, but at the moment it is with my dad at a long distance class. In my other chambers the bullet is falling out before the lands.

I plan on using h322 ( I only have one pound left sure would love to find 16#s), and cci br4's loaded in new lapua match brass. Did you use sierra data or did you get the data from hgdon? Were these loads above or below max per the data you used.

Im not looking for the load you used just some info. I dont give out load data out unless it published. So I dont ask for loads. There are a handfull of people that post in here i would pm my data, because of their posts i feel confident in their experience.

markm
06-22-13, 13:53
I'm running 22.2 H322. Never measured the jump or tried going longer. The ammo shot well enough that we just went with it. Could be improved on I suppose, but too many irons in the fire.

Only fired in Rem 700 5R and Wylde chambers. Nothing match.

jstone
06-25-13, 11:47
Thanks for the info

rojocorsa
07-22-13, 02:15
All you guys make handloading seem so fun and exciting with these things. Thanks, as it's pretty informative.

tommyrott
07-22-13, 20:11
mark have you messed with nosler CC in 80 gr

danpass
07-22-13, 20:35
It turned out to be a bit long for my RRA NMA2 but it gives a visual of the 80 grn vs a factory Hornady 55 (OAL has since been adjusted, I think 2.450)

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/s2/v1/p833292644-4.jpg

markm
07-23-13, 08:41
mark have you messed with nosler CC in 80 gr

Nope.

ALCOAR
08-02-13, 21:55
All I can say is WOW.....this load absolutely walks the dog at long ranges. It's not even funny how much better this load is for true long distances over even the nearest competitor..aka the MK262.

I handloaded the last 20 of those rounds, and put them on steel @ 742yds.....and finally I managed to ignite the long range tannerite setup.

These 80gr. SMKs thump the sh*t outta the steel...damn near like a .308 hitting it. Nothing has moved my 22lb steel plate at distance like this loading with regards to .223/5.56 loads.

I'm gonna have to see about buying some more of these from you for real.....these will no doubt be my 1k rounds.

The combo of you rolling em', and that incredibly high BC for a .223 projectile makes for such a damn LR winner. As you might can tell.....I'm still jacked up after this session :cool:

I think you'll like this video update....the exploding steel at 742yds is wild :cool:

Pappabear
08-02-13, 23:17
Those Babies hum huh? Markm may just be able to send you a little more fodder. The 77grain that Mark loads is damn near as impressive. It's 1k all day long. I'd like too see you compare them.

He loaded some 7 mag VLD's for a hunting gun the other day. Uh uh uh LASER BEAM! Freakin crazy.

ALCOAR
08-03-13, 00:24
Just like MK262 does, MM's 80gr. SMK isn't completely settled by 100/200yds.....therefore at those distances, they often appear to be only avg. on paper.

These high BC, high form factor .223 projectiles really come into their own after several hundred yds. This particular load is just flat out awesome at distance. B.C. is king, and the 80gr. SMK has a significantly higher one than almost every other .223 projectile currently made.

It does suck though knowing that no matter how awesome these are at distance, they'll never be mag length, and they essentially turn an AR into a glorified bolt.

The video should be up in about an hr. I'm currently uploading it now to YT.

ALCOAR
08-03-13, 01:07
Here is the video.....

Distance: 742yds

Rifle: MRP Recce w/ 16" Rock SS NXSc 2.5-10x32 SD-E trigger

Conditions:...90degrees 5-7mph wind 550ft. elevation

20/20 hits within the 12" x 20" 2/3rd sized torso steel target

*** Using my true velocity calculated ballistic chart......I dialed up 24 MOA, and literally put the hairs in the center of the steel, and honestly landed a cold bore/first round hit. It's taken me forever to get LR cold bore hits after having dialed significant amounts of dope in. It's quite exciting when your math, true velocity data, and ballistic chart data all comes together to make that task happen. I won't get a cold bore/first round hit ever time out, but I'm finally getting more than I'm missing.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/538688c3-a104-4fff-9693-60ebb3db6ddf_zps0aeb79e1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/538688c3-a104-4fff-9693-60ebb3db6ddf_zps0aeb79e1.jpg.html)

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/762a1c0b-ae1f-469b-8dda-0457894d0f62_zps7575a59b.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/762a1c0b-ae1f-469b-8dda-0457894d0f62_zps7575a59b.jpg.html)

Banging tannerite laced AR500 @ 742yds....with hand-loaded 80gr. SMKs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJLPihtFSI&feature=youtube_gdata)

Pappabear
08-03-13, 03:23
Trident, did you tape the tannerite to the back of the target? And by shooting the front, it exploded.

Good video as usual. Nice shooting too.

PB

ALCOAR
08-03-13, 16:06
Thanks for the kind words PB, and I'm glad it lived up to the AZ crew's standards :)

You were close in regards to the White Lightning / Steel setup....I actually tape my own custom charges to the front side of the steel plate, and usually place at least 2-3 white lightning "packets" at different locations on the steel. I construct my own "containers" to increase my "charge's" surface area in order to improve the probability that I'll make contact with it at long distances. The only thing to note is that you really need to tape these "packets/charges" down with multiple layers of industrial type clear packaging tape. Many times you'll hit the target w/o hitting a packet, and the bullet frag really tears that tape away as seen in this last video for sure. Duct tape would work even better, but I like the clear tape option as I can still see where my charges are located on the plate.

I'd highly recommend getting some of this stuff especially to you, and Mark as you guys can really take advantage of using it at long distance.

Pics shown below should give you a better idea of what I'm describing above....

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC09237_zps36682272.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC09237_zps36682272.jpg.html)
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC09239_zps31d65bf0.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC09239_zps31d65bf0.jpg.html)

markm
03-07-16, 15:36
This bullet pulled me back in last week when the come up at 1075 yards was 2/10ths less than my 175 gr SMK 308 load... both out of 20 inch barrels.

I loaded up some of these with 25.5 gr of TAC and was getting 2758 fps out of my 14.5 SOCOM barrel today... with no swipes. I can't wrap my head around the velocity I get when my 77s are under 2600 fps.

markm
03-14-16, 15:11
Shot the TAC load out of the Rem 700 Yesterday. 2900 FPS and 11.2 mils to get 1075 yards.... compared to 13.3 mils with my .308 20" bolt gun with 175 SMKs. Amazing.

Onyx Z
03-14-16, 15:40
Are these secant ogive bullets? .217 G7 BC is crazy!

markm
03-14-16, 20:30
I believe so. I read that they're .420 when over 2200 fps.

Eurodriver
03-14-16, 20:35
1) This is really odd that I just shot at 742 yards, exactly, the other day with my 5.56...

2) Mark, why are you using TAC instead of XBR on those loads?

3) Isn't there a bullet that has equivalent BC that can be mag loaded? Is it the 77gr TMK?

markm
03-15-16, 06:53
2) Mark, why are you using TAC instead of XBR on those loads?

TAC is a slower powder that yields higher velocity out of a 20 inch barrel. I still like XBR, but I don't think I could get 2900 fps with it. I generally prefer extruded powders, but after shooting the Black Hills 262 ammo, I can't help but run some ball powder again.

3) Isn't there a bullet that has equivalent BC that can be mag loaded? Is it the 77gr TMK?

We have a bunch of TMK bullets. There's no way I can match the 80's efficiency with a TMK.

bfoosh006
03-16-16, 17:10
Deleted