PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X300 Beam Off Center?

JBarbaresi
03-18-13, 15:34
I recently got a new SF x300 standard light from LAPG and after mounting it I am a little disappointed because the beam is not in line with my point of aim. In fact it's not even close, when I look at my sight picture I am aiming at almost the far left side of the beam at around 10-15 yards. When looking from above it is noticeably canted to the right while mounted on any of my several Glocks I tried it on.

I removed the mounting hardware on the light and reinstalled to try and straighten things up but that didn't work. I called Surefire CS and the representative I spoke with acted puzzled, then mounted a x300 Ultra he had available and told me "this one is centered" as if I didn't realize that's how it's supposed to be.

He gave me grief but finally emailed me a RMA number but I would have to ship it back to them on my dime. If they deem it to be "outside of acceptable tolerances" they will send me a replacement.

LAPG offered to take it back no questions asked but they are now out of stock on the standard x300 and it has been discontinued; so I will have to replace it with a x300 Ultra or they will have to send it to Surefire in hopes of an extra x300 laying around.

My question: is this a normal thing for a $200+ light to be off center like this? I had a WX150 a few years back that was also off center but my current TLR-1 is perfect. If I can expect a replacement from Surefire to be equally canted I will just stick with the TLR-1, but any advice or other similar experiences would be appreciated.

I would think if this were a really common occurance the x300s wouldn't be so popular...

MJLman
03-18-13, 20:53
I own multiple 170 lumen versions and one 110 lumen version. All of my x300's have been spot on. Call Surefire, they should take care of it.

JBarbaresi
03-22-13, 20:28
Ok so here is a quick update and quite interesting. I had LAPG replace the off-center x300 for an x300 ultra, which arrived today. I also ordered another standard x300 that i found for a decent price, which also arrived today. The standard x300 is also off-center just like the last one, just not as severe. It is like that on all 3 glocks i tried it on. The ultra is dead centered on all 3 guns.

I think it's safe to say the guns are not the issue, but what are the chances i got 2 dud x300s in a row?

HighDesert
03-22-13, 21:00
I think you should stop hunting white walls and focus on your front sight - you won't notice the beam in a "real" situation.

Call surefire on the second light as well if you wish, they will take care of you.

JBarbaresi
03-22-13, 21:06
I think you should stop hunting white walls and focus on your front sight - you won't notice the beam in a "real" situation.

Call surefire on the second light as well if you wish, they will take care of you.

I'm not hunting white walls. When using the light as a reference point for aim it shouldn't be off line with the sight picture. The first one i exchanged put my front sight on the far left side of the hot spot, thats not acceptable for any brand let alone SF. And regardless of what I'm doing with the light, for $200+ they shouldn't have issues like this.

HighDesert
03-22-13, 21:10
Call them and they'll take care of you - they have always come through even on shit I broke like tail caps and bezel glass.

Instaurator
03-25-13, 17:33
I also have an x300 that is slightly off center. you can actually see a slight difference in the spaces near the mounting rails. i chalked it up as a loss. Its typical of modern manufactoring. Over mechanize, over charge, and sweep it under the rug when you produce an overwhelming amount of a defective product.

Mak8080
03-26-13, 22:54
Interesting, I've never heard of this. Now, I'm going to have to check all my lights.

jamaicanj
04-05-13, 05:56
Thanks for sharing as I've never heard of this problem with SF.

Roecar
04-05-13, 11:23
I'd guess that the actual mount is the defective part. Mine is polymer but I've mounted my x300 on my AR/AK and my Glock using the "universal" mount without any misalignment at all. Another thing could be the type of mount used. If I recall there is the "universal" and the "rail" mount.

If that doesn't help then I'd call Surefire's CS. Top notch service. Bad luck that Murphy found your flashlights.

markm
04-05-13, 11:28
Interesting, I've never heard of this. Now, I'm going to have to check all my lights.

And we'll need to make a chart. :rolleyes:

ClearedHot
04-07-13, 20:36
And we'll need to make a chart. :rolleyes:

Everything needs a chart. :D