PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSF in Semi Auto gun?

talaananthes
03-18-13, 20:32
Hi all,

Will a Geissele work as a semi-auto only trigger? I know it won't by itself make a machine gun, that's not what I'm asking. I've got a line on one for fairly inexpensive compared to the SSA.

Also, since it's configured to be a single stage trigger on full auto mode, is there a way to switch it back and forth from single to double stage all in semi automatic?

Thanks!

cop1211
03-18-13, 22:01
Yes , you can use the SSF in a semi only, I had one that I used for around 2,000 rounds.

As far as the other part of you question best to email Geissele directly, they will be quick to respond back go you.

markm
03-19-13, 10:44
Interesting... you guys have the gears in my head turning. ;)

Rogue556
03-19-13, 22:30
I Geissele trigger that you can switch from single and two stage...That would be amazing to say the least (if it's possible). Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

ZINCOGNITO
03-20-13, 11:45
Interesting... you guys have the gears in my head turning. ;)

THIS!!!!

TMS951
03-20-13, 11:50
I wonder if a 3 position selector could be designed that is "safe/2 stage/ single stage", all semi auto?

Seems reasonable, and if it can't be done with this trigger, I bet it could still be done with a similar design.

talaananthes
03-20-13, 11:56
Only word from Geissele is that they do not recommend ever using an SSF in any weapon other than a registered M16.

Rogue556
03-20-13, 15:07
Only word from Geissele is that they do not recommend ever using an SSF in any weapon other than a registered M16.
I wonder if that's for function issues, or legal issues?

markm
03-20-13, 15:11
I wonder if that's for function issues, or legal issues?

Well considering you have the hammer and trigger there from Geissele, if you installed a selector, It'd probably shoot full auto.

I mean... it will with a standard 16 trigger hammer and selector. You'd have to modify the design to keep it NFA compliant, I'd guess.

MarkG
03-20-13, 15:57
Well considering you have the hammer and trigger there from Geissele, if you installed a selector, It'd probably shoot full auto.

I mean... it will with a standard 16 trigger hammer and selector. You'd have to modify the design to keep it NFA compliant, I'd guess.

???

No auto sear, no automatic fire right?

Bolverk93
03-20-13, 16:57
Possibly. The auto safety sear prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin before the bolt is fully locked in battery. With out it best case the hammer will just ride the firing pin forward without enough force to cause ignition. Worse case is you get premature ignition.

...or it could fire in full auto. I had an M4 that one of the pins walked partially out and it would fire full auto while on Semi and the auto safety sear was not engaged. Also, remember the guy who went to prison after loaning his rifle to a buddy that fired a couple of bursts at the range.

markm
03-20-13, 17:45
???

No auto sear, no automatic fire right?

I've seen guns with no sear work like this. If you take one of those drop in auto sears out, it'll still fire in full auto.

It'll choke up on hard primer cup ammo. But the hammer will ride the carrier and still ignite most primers.

This is how that retard in Wisconsin got convicted. He put an A2 FCG into a piece of shit Oly gun and loaned it to an even bigger idiot who got popped shooting it at a public range.

Worse case is you get premature ignition.

Premature ignition is impossible on an in spec AR. The firing pin is not capable of touching the primer until the bolt is in battery.

foxtrotx1
03-21-13, 02:44
Possibly. The auto safety sear prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin before the bolt is fully locked in battery. With out it best case the hammer will just ride the firing pin forward without enough force to cause ignition. Worse case is you get premature ignition.

...or it could fire in full auto. I had an M4 that one of the pins walked partially out and it would fire full auto while on Semi and the auto safety sear was not engaged. Also, remember the guy who went to prison after loaning his rifle to a buddy that fired a couple of bursts at the range.

That individual intentionally modified the gun, loaned it to someone knowing it would shoot bursts and then the friend shot bursts with it. He walked right into that one. No sympathy.

markm
03-21-13, 07:58
That individual intentionally modified the gun, loaned it to someone knowing it would shoot bursts and then the friend shot bursts with it. He walked right into that one. No sympathy.

I understand all that... That idiot deserved it... despite his claims that he was getting the shaft.

The point is that installing an SSF could put someone in the same boat.

Surf
03-21-13, 14:51
If the SSF is new, I have a new in package SSA that I could trade ya. ;)

cop1211
03-21-13, 16:04

That's not what they told me in 2008.

Col_Crocs
04-06-13, 20:00
Any updates here?
What if one were to use an ssa disconnector with the ssf? I don't have either so idk if theyre even interchangeable... Just thinking about it as a solution to prevent f/a fire.

Iraqgunz
04-06-13, 23:40
For the record. If you take a full auto FCG complete and install it into your gun it will in fact fire bursts and full auto. The selector lever being one of the components. I'm sure Geisseles' recommendation is simply to cover themselves legally. I believe the BATFE even stated certain parts could be installed as long as the weapon goes bang once every time you pull the trigger.