PDA

View Full Version : Custom Part

Crimson21
03-19-13, 01:04
I recently purchased a Knights Armament free-float RAS Carbine Rail, well not soon after I started to look at some other rails & noticed that they had anti-rotation Hardware, the main example is the Larue Tactical Free-Float Rails, well not knowing of the possibility of the rails coming lose I bought it for a hefty 330 (at least for me it was), not saying it wasn't worth it, the quality is awesome but after reading all info on the subject that I could, it looked liked it was just better to go with LT free-float rail for that kind of rail setup.

The only problem I have with that is the fact I really don't want to sell the rail, & the fact that I don't like having gun parts just gathering dust, not to mention this rail is fairly rare to come by. Now I'm not saying that I don't like Larue products or that they are bad. So the question is if its possible to make a custom anti-rotation plate similar to the LT anti-rotation plate but not the same of course for the KAC free-float RAS or would just a properly torqued Barrel nut be just fine & this is just all in my head?

I already have it mapped out in a way in my head I just need to know who I would talk to in order to manufacture/make improvements to said custom part. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated :)

CodeRed30
03-19-13, 04:07
Rare or not, why keep it if it doesn't fit your weapon needs? If it's not a collectors item, I say ditch it for something that works for you.

thehun
03-21-13, 09:05
it will probably cost you more to make that part than what the rail is worth....sell...buy a complete set

Todd.K
03-21-13, 12:03
This whole anti rotation thing is WAY over hyped. It's 5% design (and only a few designs have problems) and 95% improper installation. Add the fact most of the "anti rotation" designs actually just limit the amount of rotation if the handguard gets loose.

The LT tab helps keep the lock ring from working loose if it was not installed tight enough and/or if you don't use a little threadlocker. If it keeps your handguard from rotating your, barrel nut is loose and you have a much bigger problem than a loose handguard.

My advice, make sure the barrel nut it torqued properly, use some threadlocker on the ring, tighten the ring as much as you can with a good strap wrench, and enjoy your RAS.

markm
03-21-13, 12:13
This whole anti rotation thing is WAY over hyped. It's 5% design (and only a few designs have problems) and 95% improper installation. Add the fact most of the "anti rotation" designs actually just limit the amount of rotation if the handguard gets loose.

The LT tab helps keep the lock ring from working loose if it was not installed tight enough and/or if you don't use a little threadlocker. If it keeps your handguard from rotating your, barrel nut is loose and you have a much bigger problem than a loose handguard.

My advice, make sure the barrel nut it torqued properly, use some threadlocker on the ring, tighten the ring as much as you can with a good strap wrench, and enjoy your RAS.

I agree with all of this.

Travis B
03-23-13, 11:50
If its installed correctly it shouldnt be a problem.

You could mount your optics with one half of the base plate on the receiver and the other half on the rail. It should keep everything square. I've done this with carry handles to make sure rails are square before locking them into place.