PDA

View Full Version : Glock G30S - First Impressions

ST911
03-20-13, 00:54
I recently shot the G30S (w/ 10rd mag) alongside a G21 and G36. It was not a prolonged range session, but sufficient for a preliminary, informed opinion.

It's an interesting little hybrid. The gun recoils like a G36 due to the mass and stroke velocity of the G36 slide. However, the usual sharpness of the G36 is mitigated somewhat with the larger G30SF grip. The reduced slide girth and resultant weight reduction is noticeable but not profound.

I had no trouble staying on the head of a B21 target or inside a softball at 10yds at various speeds. The gun is obviously capable of better accuracy with more deliberate shooting.

When held alongside a G19 for comparison, the G30S with 10rd magazine was very close in size.

When placed within a G19 holster, the fit was tight. Leather for the G19/23 could be worked to accept the G30S. Fit in plastics would depend entirely on molding. A model-specific holster seems prudent here.

Were I in the market for a compact 45ACP, I would choose the G30S over the standard G30 and G30SF for its overall size efficiency.

I would like to shoot this gun again when available with the gen4 grip texture, and with a 9-round magazine.

No photos, no ammo comparisons, but a starting snapshot.

Anyone else?

Crow Hunter
03-20-13, 09:17
I recently shot the G30S (w/ 10rd mag) alongside a G21 and G36. It was not a prolonged range session, but sufficient for a preliminary, informed opinion.

It's an interesting little hybrid. The gun recoils like a G36 due to the mass and stroke velocity of the G36 slide. However, the usual sharpness of the G36 is mitigated somewhat with the larger G30SF grip. The reduced slide girth and resultant weight reduction is noticeable but not profound.

I had no trouble staying on the head of a B21 target or inside a softball at 10yds at various speeds. The gun is obviously capable of better accuracy with more deliberate shooting.

When held alongside a G19 for comparison, the G30S with 10rd magazine was very close in size.

When placed within a G19 holster, the fit was tight. Leather for the G19/23 could be worked to accept the G30S. Fit in plastics would depend entirely on molding. A model-specific holster seems prudent here.

Were I in the market for a compact 45ACP, I would choose the G30S over the standard G30 and G30SF for its overall size efficiency.

I would like to shoot this gun again when available with the gen4 grip texture, and with a 9-round magazine.

No photos, no ammo comparisons, but a starting snapshot.

Anyone else?

My very first CCW Glock was a G30. Got it back in 1998 right after they came out. My brother owns it now. My biggest complaint about it was the thickness. It always seemed but feel "pregnant" to me compared to a G23/G19.

It sounds like they have the slide width down to nearly G19 size, but what about the grip girth?

I was actually thinking about getting my old G30 from my brother (just to have a .45 back , since I can sometimes find .45 to shoot) but it is different enough from my G19 sized guns that it throws me off enough that I don't feel like I am getting the best benefit from the training.

If the new one is close to being a G19 in .45, hmm....

DIRTMAN556
03-20-13, 17:27
Interesting.

How about with some Talon grips or skateboard tape for grip? I want to like anything other than a glock 17/19 but the grip angle is not for me.

Maverick07
03-20-13, 18:23
I picked up a blue blox G30S about two weeks ago and first impression is that is less slide heavy, less bulky, points better and handles better than either the 36 or conventional 30. The combination of the 36 profile slide and 30SF frame is a winner IMHO. I would prefer this pistol with the Gen4 frame but this will do. Is it worth trading in the 30 for the 30SF? Yeah... I think so. The improved handling and lighter weight are worthwhile.

That being said it is still a tweener in that it is neither a subcompact and nor a compact pistol. Glock needs to freaking make a true .45 caliber compact pistol with G19-style frame. They have shown it can be done so why not do have a three-tier size system like they do every other caliber?

WickedWillis
03-20-13, 18:57
I got to see a guy buy a 30s the other day. I did not get to handle it, but I did get to handle the 30SF gen4. It is also because of that, that I will wait and buy a 30s when they produce the Gen4. The larger mag release and the BSS grip feel amazing on the 30SF, cant wait for the 30s Gen 4.

DIRTMAN556
06-01-13, 16:50
Hickok45 30S Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbdP1JsB2Rw