PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma Series......

moresky
03-19-08, 08:13
My local gunshop has the 40 (model SW40VE) on sale for $299, with the $50 rebate thats cheap. Is this gun crap? Does anyone have any experience with these guns? Thanks for the input........

ST911
03-19-08, 09:09
A training venue that sees a lot of them advises students to bring a spare gun if they're planning to shoot a Sigma. Or have an armorer standing by.

Each of several agencies that used them had a multitude of issues, mostly unresolved even with replacement guns. They then had to beg LE firearm dealers for a trade allowance toward something else.

Eventually, S&W was unable to give them away to agencies transitioning or standardizing.

The "Enhanced" wasn't, and the eval guns I had in my hands failed to fire at an alarming rate. Subsequent samples were little better.

A S&W sales rep was heard saying that the Sigma wasn't suitable for a LE gun, but was fine for the commercial market. (My kingdom for a tape recorder.)

There are examples of those that run. Their use is usually minimal in volume and instensity.

That's what I know first-hand.

RD62
03-19-08, 10:49
My expereince somewhat mirrors Skintops.

I bought one. Shot it little. Had an initial failure to feed issue. Polished the feed ramp. Ran fine after. Got rid of it. Had to about give it away.

My former Dept issued them before I was there. My friends who were there at the time pretty much universally disliked it. They fairly quickly got rid of them for Glock 22's and 23's.

For a cheap plinker it would probably be alright, for carry I probably would buy a used Glock first. If you get one, I think I got a couple of mags still laying around somewhere. Let me know and I'll send them to ya.

-RD62

C4IGrant
03-19-08, 11:18
Junk.

C4

Oscar 319
03-19-08, 14:13
Junk.

C4

+1

The Sigma's made me swear off Smith & Wesson "plastic". They have redeemed themselves with the M&P's. Spend that extra cash, you will not be sorry.

brminpin
03-19-08, 19:58
It was a big piece of turd. Do not waste your money. There's a reason S&W is practically giving these away. When I got my MP15, the Sigma was only $99 so I just went ahead and got one. I shot one box through it and had enough. My local gun store gave me $125 towards a trade on a slightly used Sig.

Robb Jensen
03-19-08, 21:26
My local gunshop has the 40 (model SW40VE) on sale for $299, with the $50 rebate thats cheap. Is this gun crap? Does anyone have any experience with these guns? Thanks for the input........

If you need something in that price range look at a used Ruger, they do work.

Shihan
03-19-08, 21:48
I measured the trigger on one at 13lbs.

Noshoot
03-19-08, 21:52
If you need something in that price range look at a used Ruger, they do work.

I have to second that. I have yet to see a Ruger that didn't run, even with some fairly crappy reloads.

They may be big and blocky (and their compact is about the same size as others standard models) but they go bang when you pull the trigger.

Semi_auto
03-19-08, 22:00
I measured the trigger on one at 13lbs.

Geez! If one is able to master that trigger , then you can shoot anything.

ToddG
03-19-08, 22:13
The "Enhanced" guns are better. In the sense that a 1979 Ford Pinto was better than a 1972 Ford Pinto.

People who paid $99 for a Sigma as part of last year's M&P15 deal felt cheated. <-- CLUE

ST911
03-19-08, 23:47
The "Enhanced" guns are better. In the sense that a 1979 Ford Pinto was better than a 1972 Ford Pinto.

I stand corrected. :D

Noshoot
03-20-08, 02:11

People who paid $99 for a Sigma as part of last year's M&P15 deal felt cheated. <-- CLUE

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

MadcapMagician
03-20-08, 08:17
Don't waste your time or money. Spend the extra 100 or two and get an M&P or Glock.

Freakdaddy
03-20-08, 16:20
I picked up the 9mm for $99 when I bought my 15T. I figured on using it for an extra range gun to plink with as it would be cheaper to shoot than my .45's. After 100 rounds through it, the pad of my trigger finger was tingling from the 12 to 13 lb. (measured) trigger pull. And talk about a loooong trigger pull! You'd start on Monday and it would go off on Thursday! I thought "screw this" and sold it for $225. I did alright:D .

ToddG
03-20-08, 16:29
I thought "screw this" and sold it for $225. I did alright:D .

Rape isn't a felony in your state, huh? :p

Freakdaddy
03-20-08, 17:20
Rape isn't a felony in your state, huh? :p

Yeah, I felt bad ;) . I was nice enough to throw in a soft sided pistol case to sweeten the deal. The real nice thing is after the $125 profit plus the rebate/mag offer from Smith, the final cost of my M&P45 was $360! I wish I could make deals like this everyday :D .