PDA

View Full Version : Rail Mount for non Railed Handguns

Brian Brazier
03-20-13, 19:01
I have been thinking I might want a light (X300 Ultra ) on my handgun, problem is I hate rails. I was looking for some information about the rail adapters that are currently on the marjet, likr the Surefire, and Insight. I am disabled and I have an X300 ultra on my rifle that I keep my rifle in my bedroom, I always have a handgun on me, either my Beretta M9, CZ 75B, or Sig P226. I have seen Surefire and Insight rail adapters for the Beretta nad P226 but is there one for the CZ? Any info on these I helpful, especially reall world use, are they worth the price? Or should I buy a dedicated railed handgun for home defense.

rathos
03-21-13, 02:34
I put one on my 1911 because I missed having a rail on my duty gun. Luckily I did a lot of testing before I carried it because I found that just through chambering a round it would pop the slide stop out enough that it would not chamber a round from a fully loaded mag.

If I pushed the slide stop back in it would work, but I felt this was unacceptable. I would say if you want a rail on your gun then buy one with a rail already on it.

03-21-13, 08:45
I am aware of rail adapters for Beretta and SIG. Beretta even sells one on their website. Not aware of any for the CZ. CZ does make railed pistols and they aren't overly expensive.

one
03-21-13, 12:59
My personal thoughts on this are if you're going to go with a light on a gun you are far better off getting a railed gun if you can than adding on an adapter. Easier to find holsters, less to go wrong as far as screws stripping out or getting lost or loosening over time.

But I gave up on aesthetics vs function on weapons long ago. I don't think a Glock, HK, Sig or any of the other current crop of defensive handguns are particularly pretty objects. But they work well to defend myself.

That said I have thought about trying one of the Surefire adapters for a 1911/X300 combo to see how well it would perform.

Brian Brazier
03-21-13, 16:33
Thats what I figured would be best, buy something that has a dedicaded rail. I have never been big on rails, but since I already have a good collection of non railed guns it wont kill me to get one specifically for home defense (and possibly some carry). I will probably get a S&W M&P 9 or 45 being I have a M&P22, I will keep my eye out on EE for one.

policetested
03-21-13, 16:43
you might want to peruse Brownells and Dawson Precision

Lomshek
03-21-13, 22:39
I've mounted the Surefire rail to a Beretta 92 with an X300 and DG switch. It is rock solid and works perfectly (Loctite everything).

Here's a photo of a widowed friend shooting hers after I finished pimping it out for her as a bedside gun. Besides the rail set up I installed slim grips, short reach trigger and D spring to make the gun a pleasure to shoot.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z67/bonecreekgunclub/Training%20Amy/Dottorture.jpg

I had a kydex holster made for use without the light, the gun is primarily a bed side gun. Safariland makes a number of holsters that will work with or without the light. One of those with the QLS mounting system would make a great "bolted to the nightstand" holster.

one
03-21-13, 23:15
Glad to see a review firsthand on the SF rail.

Brian Brazier
03-21-13, 23:20
I've mounted the Surefire rail to a Beretta 92 with an X300 and DG switch. It is rock solid and works perfectly (Loctite everything).

Here's a photo of a widowed friend shooting hers after I finished pimping it out for her as a bedside gun. Besides the rail set up I installed slim grips, short reach trigger and D spring to make the gun a pleasure to shoot.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z67/bonecreekgunclub/Training%20Amy/Dottorture.jpg

I had a kydex holster made for use without the light, the gun is primarily a bed side gun. Safariland makes a number of holsters that will work with or without the light. One of those with the QLS mounting system would make a great "bolted to the nightstand" holster.

Thanks for the feedback, looks like that Beretta is a good fit for her. I am going to pickup a Surefire rail and use that until I can get a railed handgun. I will also checkout he Safariland holsters.

one
03-21-13, 23:30
Brian I'm set up to follow this thread so if you list your results or impressions with the SF rail I should pick it up here. Looking forward to seeing what you think on it.

Brian Brazier
03-21-13, 23:43
Brian I'm set up to follow this thread so if you list your results or impressions with the SF rail I should pick it up here. Looking forward to seeing what you think on it.

I will definatley report back, I am going to pick one up payday