PDA

View Full Version : wilson combat

Hillbilly
03-19-08, 11:37
anyone have any experience with wilson combat/scattergun tech shotguns?

NoBody
03-19-08, 11:49
A Professional, 2 x CQB, Standard 870, and Border Patrol 870. GREAT company :D

Hillbilly
03-19-08, 11:57
thanks, i am thinking of getting a standard model. wondered how they performed.

NoBody
03-19-08, 13:12
No real complaints. Be sure to keep your weak hand all the way forward on the Surefire grip or it will get slapped with the recoil. The action is solid and silky smooth....even my wife noticed how nice it felt. :D

The only issue I had was that my Standard's barrel was bad and the slugs would shoot low and to the right (about 18 inchs at 15 yds). I sent it back to Wilson and they said the barrel was bent and replaced it with a new one and upgraded my ghostring sights for free. Quick and professional service!

Shawn.L
03-04-10, 13:16
Ive been looking at one of these. I own a CQB, and understand paying for quality work, but as far as function are they really worth the price for a pump???

556A2
03-04-10, 14:02
Wilson Combat shotguns are a utter rip-off for what you are paying. They are great shotguns, but they do not offer any real advantage over the basic Remington 870 Express (18" Synthetic with the +2 Extension) for about $325, or the 870 Police models.

They use the basic Express model to build their shotguns, so the base gun is the same. They only real work involved is adding ghost ring sights, and the refinish. Everything else is just typical 870 accessories that anyone could add themselves.

It would be a better to buy the cheapest beat-up Wingmaster you could find for under $200, and have them do the "Remington Steal" package for another $230.

or

Just buy a new 870 Police or the Express 18" Synthetic with the +2 extension. Just add a machined extractor to the Express.

JEL458
03-04-10, 15:01
I used them with the USBP at a large station and we had no issues. They were the pre-WC guns. At my last assignment with my present agency, I maintained about 250 of them, also pre-WC, again with no issues. They were submitted to the typical abuse of a patrol issued shotgun; water, snow, etc. and held up well.

556A2,

Your information is somewhat correct. There is little difference between a wingmaster and a police model, but many more differences between the express and police models. The express has a plastic trigger group, different trigger and mag springs are just a few. The express also has/had the dimpled mag tubes. Read the sticky at the top of the shotgun forum for a comprehensive list. I will say that the WC guns compared to the old SGT guns do seem less custom as far as the action goes. That could just be that the original SGT guns are older and more well used though. Stay safe

jwinch2
03-04-10, 17:01
I had intentions of buying some Wilson shotguns last year. I was planning on purchasing one in 20 ga. for my wife, and one in 12 ga. for me. I have matching CZ pistols, and matching AR's in 7.62 and 5.56. I believe strongly in duplication of manual of arms. In a stress situation, I could pick up my wife's AR and everything would be the same and the same thing with our handguns, etc...

Anyways, I also wanted to get the shotguns from Wilson with the Hogue stocks and foregrip. Unfortunately, they told me that they no longer make the 20 ga. and that they could not do the hogue stock and grip. I also wanted the 20 ga. in a left handed set up which I was also told I could not do.

My understanding is that they make quality stuff but I think they should not call themselves custom since they are not doing custom work. What they really do is let you choose from a menu which is not the same thing. If your needs do not fall into their particular menu of options, they you are out of luck. Last time I checked, that wasn't custom.

brushy bill
03-04-10, 17:20
Jel 458,

870P may have taken a downturn...the trigger guard assembly on my recently purchased 870P seems to be plastic. Thought it was a compressed metal, but magnet won't stick to it. Bought it vice the Epress based on the Remington letter outlining the differences (same info posted on this forum) the two. Now unsure if some of that info may be changing/dated however. Regards,
Bill

556A2
03-05-10, 01:29
556A2,

Your information is somewhat correct. There is little difference between a wingmaster and a police model, but many more differences between the express and police models. The express has a plastic trigger group, different trigger and mag springs are just a few. The express also has/had the dimpled mag tubes. Read the sticky at the top of the shotgun forum for a comprehensive list. I will say that the WC guns compared to the old SGT guns do seem less custom as far as the action goes. That could just be that the original SGT guns are older and more well used though. Stay safe

Well I didn't really want to go into all the detail since it is tacked ;)

My main point is that with the exception of the ejector, you can switch out all the Express components to the Police components for fairly cheap (even cheaper if you sell the Express parts). Plus the Express line with magazine extensions still use the "Old Style" receiver.

I just personally don't think the Police line is worth the extra expense these days when the only thing you can't switch is the ejector. Of course, YMMV. :)

03-07-10, 04:05
We use WC shotguns and WC AR-15's and I don't really feel like they are anything special except customer service seems to be pretty good. But oh well, at least I didn't pay for them:)