PDA

View Full Version : Possible relocation to Tennessee

dgt
03-20-13, 21:38
In light of the unconstitutional proposed firearm bills in my current state of Connecticut, I have reached my breaking point. I want out. This state has never fit my lifestyle or political viewpoint and certainly never will. I have a friend who resides in Church Hill, TN and he has been my main influence as to why I have chose TN to possibly call home. My girlfriend and I are driving down this weekend to look at some nice homes on 30 to 40 acre spreads on the outskirts of the tri city area.

I would love any and all useful information on the area and State in general. Political, firearm related, people, crime, job outlook, weather, education, hospitals, or any other information that may deem useful. My friend from the area has been a huge help but multiple view points would be a big help. I have of course spent hours doing online research on my own but lets face it, real world experience will always outweigh the picture the internet will paint.

Thanks in advance guys

Straight Shooter
03-24-13, 07:47
Hello dgt-
Im TN born & bred. Im from down on the TN/AL line, and currently live in Huntsville Al, about 30 miles from where I was born.
Where you are looking at, Church Hill, well, your in the hills sho' nuff! Ive run around a good bit up around in there, and you will be in a pro gun paradise. LOTS of hunting & fishing. Im not sure at all about the job situation there. But Im sure you wont find very many liberal types around there. VERY beautiful country, btw.
Now, south of there in Knox County...Knoxville...now there is a little lib hotspot there. Also Davidson County...Nashville...is as lib as they come. More so, even. Same with Shelby County...Memphis. Outside of there, the state is solid RED, and votes so at election time.
Crime wise, up there, I doubt its much at all. Too many armed folks.
Now, if you move there...BE READY to be called YANKEE. Im telling you NOW get ready. Itll probably never ever stop. But, let them ole boys know you aint no lib, love Ronald Reagan and hate Jimmy Carter, and the current resident of the White House even more, and youll do fine.

Tempmj
03-24-13, 08:37
I am actually in the tri cities area. Very gun friendly and beautiful area. Low crime rate. I'm on the Virginia side, but very close to the area

buzz_knox
03-24-13, 08:40
Knoxville is trying to be ET's Asheville. Knox Co. works to contain the insanity.

Stay outside the cities and you'll love TN.

dgt
03-25-13, 21:49
Thanks for the responses guys. So far during my visit ive fit in just fine. im sure the truck and bcm t shirt help with that a little bit. However my friend from down here loves calling me a yankee haha. I already received a job offer but im a little shell shocked at the wage drop.
I knew it would be lower but i wasnt expecting that low. Anyone have any information on the eastman plant over here in kingsport? I hear the pay is pretty good for the area but i had some concerns about health working in a place like that. I have another job offer over in the asheville, nc area. Nice country out there but damn, looks like tree hugger central in the city portion! That scared me away a little bit.

doughnut
03-25-13, 22:19
I'm in Bristol. I'll echo that this part of he state is great, lived here since birth. I spent a few years in middle TN and I find east TN much more laid back. Kingsport is a good sized city without the feeling of "big city" life. Eastman is one of the bigger employers in the area. I imagine that they are very safety minded. Kingsport has great hospitals, good schools, and the area is beautiful. In this area though, if you were willing to commute 30 minutes to work you open up your options of living in multiple counties, Johnson City, Bristol, Elizabethton, Jonesborough, the list goes on. Greeneville and Morristown are also close alternatives. I feel that this area is very pro-gun. Several gun clubs, lots of gun shops, etc. No income taxes but sales tax is kinda high.

Reference Asheville, NC. My 2cents, I think it's a nice place to visit but no bueno on living there.

Good luck finding something. I sincerely think you can't go wrong with east TN.