PDA

View Full Version : Video: Cop gets into road rage encounter with driver and causes an accident

ClearedHot
03-20-13, 21:54
Story here: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/20/cop-brake-checks-driver-causes-accident-video/

Video from incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HROigWi-CcU

Update...he lost his job after video goes viral. http://jalopnik.com/north-carolina-cop-resigns-after-brake-check-video-goes-456979801

Derp all around if you ask me.

C-grunt
03-20-13, 21:55
Someone is getting fired.

officerX
03-20-13, 22:04
I say they're both idiots.

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:06
I say they're both idiots.

How so?

obucina
03-20-13, 22:07
is it common for NC LEOs to drive through SC? Im assuming that his canine wasnt in the car?

officerX
03-20-13, 22:08
How so?

The video shouldn't have been tailgating the cop in the first place and then speeding (I'm sure) and passing 2 cars in the right lane. And the cop shouldn't have passed, cut the guy off and put his brakes on. (I thought it was obvious)

GeorgiaBoy
03-20-13, 22:10
The video shouldn't have been tailgating the cop in the first place and then speeding (I'm sure) and passing 2 cars in the right lane.

1. How do you know he was speeding, and that the cop wasn't actually going below or at the speed limit?

2. Most states allow passing on the right if the passing lane(s) are being blocked by cars going too slow.

South Carolina Code 56-5-1850

(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

2. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being travelled by the overtaking vehicle.

(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

officerX
03-20-13, 22:16
1. How do you know he was speeding, and that the cop wasn't actually going below or at the speed limit?

2. Most states allow passing on the right if the passing lane(s) are being blocked by cars going too slow.

How many cops do you know that go below the speed limit when driving on the highway? I don't know he was speeding, but I'd put $50 on it that he was.

Belmont31R
The video shouldn't have been tailgating the cop in the first place and then speeding (I'm sure) and passing 2 cars in the right lane. And the cop shouldn't have passed, cut the guy off and put his brakes on. (I thought it was obvious)

That isn't tailgating. Following too close? Yes..a bit. People pass on the right here all the time. Have you ever driven on a multilane road in the US? I do it all the time, and I have people that close behind me all the time. Usually its a hint the person behind you wants you to move over. In Texas the left lane is a passing lane so that cop would be breaking the law here for that. Speeding (an assumption). I do that every time I drive. Woopie. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 2005, and I drove a 350Z for 5 years since then.

But I'm not sure how you draw a moral equivalence between following a bit too close to someone obstructing traffic, cutting someone off, slamming on their brakes causing an accident, and then fleeing. In a lot of places fleeing is a felony.

Edit for clarity.

obucina
the googley says that its 219 miles from Onslow, NC to Charleston, SC. Isn't that a bit far to be rolling in his Crown Vic?

officerX
03-20-13, 22:22
That isn't tailgating. Following too close? Yes..a bit. People pass on the right here all the time. Have you ever driven on a multilane road in the US? I do it all the time, and I have people that close behind me all the time. Usually its a hint the person behind you wants you to move over. In Texas the left lane is a passing lane so that cop would be breaking the law here for that. Speeding (an assumption). I do that every time I drive. Woopie. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 2005, and I drove a 350Z for 5 years since then.

But I'm not sure how you draw a moral equivalence between following a bit too close to someone obstructing traffic and passing on the right (illegal?) to cutting someone off, slamming on their brakes causing an accident, and then fleeing. In a lot of places fleeing is a felony.

I just said they're both idiots and explained MY reasons for thinking so. You can disagree, that's fine. I'm guessing by your statements, though, you hate LEO and the other guy did nothing wrong, so I see I'm not going to get anywhere here. I'm done.

the googley says that its 219 miles from Onslow, NC to Charleston, SC. Isn't that a bit far to be rolling in his Crown Vic?

The story said that the officer said he was coming back from 40 hours of K9 training, so it was work related, so he was driving his cruiser.

GeorgiaBoy
03-20-13, 22:22

The article says he was returning from a 40 hour K9 training course.

GeorgiaBoy
03-20-13, 22:25
You can disagree, that's fine. I'm guessing by your statements, though, you hate LEO and the other guy did nothing wrong, so I see I'm not going to get anywhere here. I'm done.

Boom. 10 posts in.

Quick as that, the anti-LEO card has been pulled, and this thread will be over very quick...

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:25
I just said they're both idiots and explained MY reasons for thinking so. You can disagree, that's fine. I'm guessing by your statements, though, you hate LEO and the other guy did nothing wrong, so I see I'm not going to get anywhere here. I'm done.

The story said that the officer said he was coming back from 40 hours of K9 training, so it was work related, so he was driving his cruiser.

Grow up.

One guy caused an accident and fled the scene. One did not. Yep...both the same...:rolleyes:

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:28
Boom. 10 posts in.

Quick as that, the anti-LEO card has been pulled, and this thread will be over very quick...

I thought we had an agreement from my thread in the Site Suggestions forum that 'LEO basher bombs' were verbotten with the same for bashing all LEO's?

What's so dumb about that comment is the guy was fired, and the LEO's who were called cited him as being the cause the accident. I don't know WTF some people's problem is around here.

Voodoo_Man
03-20-13, 22:29
Around here (NE), passing a marked patrol vehicle (regardless of where they are from) is a huge no no, especially if they are going the speed limit. Passing on the right is a double no no and then hitting someone who is in front of you is instant your fault.

Officer should have pulled him over or called local LE to pull him over, the video guy is a jackass and will eventually get himself jammed up for his reckless driving.

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:30
Also...how is a guy with 76 posts and joined last month posting in GD? Did that rule get changed or something?

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:33
Around here (NE), passing a marked patrol vehicle (regardless of where they are from) is a huge no no, especially if they are going the speed limit. Passing on the right is a double no no and then hitting someone who is in front of you is instant your fault.

Officer should have pulled him over or called local LE to pull him over, the video guy is a jackass and will eventually get himself jammed up for his reckless driving.

I will pass a LEO every time if they are going below the speed limit. You have to be a real dick where people are afraid to pass even going the speed limit...

If someone swerves in front of you and slams on the brakes that 'rule' doesn't apply. Not sure where you get that someone can jump infront of you slam on the brakes, and it's your fault. Where on Earth did you dig that ridiculous thought up?

GeorgiaBoy
03-20-13, 22:33

1. As stated, passing on the right in SC it is perfectly legal.

2 Who got in front of the driver and internally slammed on the brakes?

That is called "reckless driving" and is far more serious than speeding 5-10 MPH over the speed limit in just about every state..

a0cake
03-20-13, 22:48
The cop is still a hot-head and should have known better, but...

"The officer was identified by WWAY3 News from the South Carolina accident report. Culpepper told WWAY3 that he was baited by Walton, who rode up behind him and flashed his lights at him before the beginning of the now-viral video, currently at 267,183 views.

'I fell for it hook, line and sinker,' stated Culpepper.

WWAY3 reports that South Carolina police are familiar with Walton, who has a reputation among them for baiting cops into bad situations on video. Walton only has one video uploaded to YouTube, so we cannot see if he's had any other run-ins with the police."

officerX
03-20-13, 22:50
"The officer was identified by WWAY3 News from the South Carolina accident report. Culpepper told WWAY3 that he was baited by Walton, who rode up behind him and flashed his lights at him before the beginning of the now-viral video, currently at 267,183 views.

WWAY3 reports that South Carolina police are familiar with Walton, who has a reputation among them for baiting cops into bad situations on video. Walton only has one video uploaded to YouTube, so we cannot see if he's had any other run-ins with the police."

But yet I'm the idiot here. :rolleyes:

Voodoo_Man
03-20-13, 22:51
Well this went down hill rather quickly.

I'll be unsubscribing and putting certain people on my ignore list since they did learn simple reading comprehension skills or manners.

8200rpm
03-20-13, 22:55
All of you guys including the OP and everyone who replied is a jackass, douchebag, or idiot and needs to be fired or arrested.

Hope that covers it.

:ph34r:

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:58

I thought you were done. Who called you an idiot?

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 22:59
The cop is still a hot-head and should have known better, but...

LEO are supposed to remain professional even under provocation or baiting. Are you saying because he thinks he was baited its ok he caused an accident and fled the scene?

officerX
03-20-13, 23:02
Neither the story nor the video say that the officer fled the scene.

a0cake
03-20-13, 23:04
LEO are supposed to remain professional even under provocation or baiting. Are you saying because he thinks he was baited its ok he caused an accident and fled the scene?

Re-read what I wrote. Maybe you didn't catch the edit. I added "He's a hot-head and should have known better" So no, I do not think it's okay he caused an accident.

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 23:09
Neither the story nor the video say that the officer fled the scene.

An article I read yesterday said he did...but either way...he was the one cited as causing the accident.

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 23:16
Re-read what I wrote. Maybe you didn't catch the edit.

I didn't but the guy's past has nothing to do with what was in the video. I saw it yesterday and didn't catch the updated news articles about what happened. Yesterday they said he fled.

People try to bait police all the time on video. Most of the time it probably doesn't even get posted online because theres nothing to see. They post it when the cops act like jackasses or hold people illegally or like the guys walking around open carrying legally. If the cops follow the law and don't violate people's rights then there's nothing to see or it can be shown in the light of 'we need more cops like this'.

This guy who shot the video, no matter how big of a douche he is, struck gold, and that's why that deputy is out of a job along with being cited as being at fault in the accident.

I'm just amused by how far people will go out their way on here to draw a moral equivalence or say it was this guys fault for hitting the back of someone who swerved in front of him and slammed on the brakes...:lol:

officerX
03-20-13, 23:23
If you replay the video, the cop didn't immediately hit his brakes after cutting the guy off, it was a few seconds later. If I were cut off by someone, ANYONE, I'd slow down a little and let the guy go on because obviously he's acting a little weird. If this guy had done that he probably wouldn't have hit the cop. In my opinion they are both to blame, which is why I called them both idiots. The guy filming was just as reckless for filming while driving. He might as well have been texting.

Belmont31R
03-20-13, 23:28
If you replay the video, the cop didn't immediately hit his brakes after cutting the guy off, it was a few seconds later. If I were cut off by someone, ANYONE, I'd slow down a little and let the guy go on because obviously he's acting a little weird. If this guy had done that he probably wouldn't have hit the cop. In my opinion they are both to blame, which is why I called them both idiots. The guy filming was just as reckless for filming while driving. He might as well have been texting.

That's why the deputy was cited for being at fault....:lol:

Honu
03-21-13, 00:41
Is the left lane for cars going slow and blocking traffic now ?

I learned its for overtaking vehicles and you should move over if not overtaking

Blocking traffic on purpose ! Then brake checking people
Yeah he has no issues upstanding person !

And even if the guy has history for baiting cops ?
Ya cant bait them into wreckless driving and doing what he did !

Major fail on the cops side

All my cop friends laugh at people who try to rub them and get on their nerves !
Laugh and say well I am being paid to be out there and they are paying money to come out bug me who is the idiot :)
That is the attitude to have !

Belmont31R
03-21-13, 01:55
Is the left lane for cars going slow and blocking traffic now ?

I learned its for overtaking vehicles and you should move over if not overtaking

Blocking traffic on purpose ! Then brake checking people
Yeah he has no issues upstanding person !

And even if the guy has history for baiting cops ?
Ya cant bait them into wreckless driving and doing what he did !

Major fail on the cops side

All my cop friends laugh at people who try to rub them and get on their nerves !
Laugh and say well I am being paid to be out there and they are paying money to come out bug me who is the idiot :)
That is the attitude to have !

Whats funny is these guys want to slander him for video taping it, and I wonder how it would have turned out without the video? My wife and I have turned on video on our phones when seeing people being jackasses. These days its about the only way to protect yourself because in court its assumed LEO's are 100% telling the truth and regular people are lying. Without video this guy probably would have been the one who got cited.

SteyrAUG
03-21-13, 01:58

When cops pose as drug dealers it ain't the fault of cops when people get busted buying crack. By the same token if a cop can be "baited" into causing an accident because somebody rode up behind them and flashed his lights then it ain't the guy flashing the lights who is at fault.

Honu
03-21-13, 02:03
At least this time the truth prevailed :)
Might start being like the Russians and filming my daily driving ! With the gopro everyday !

I have filmed a few idiots before also

Whats funny is these guys want to slander him for video taping it, and I wonder how it would have turned out without the video? My wife and I have turned on video on our phones when seeing people being jackasses. These days its about the only way to protect yourself because in court its assumed LEO's are 100% telling the truth and regular people are lying. Without video this guy probably would have been the one who got cited.

Honu
03-21-13, 02:04
When cops pose as drug dealers it ain't the fault of cops when people get busted buying crack. By the same token if a cop can be "baited" into causing an accident because somebody rode up behind them and flashed his lights then it ain't the guy flashing the lights who is at fault.

well said :)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-21-13, 02:43

2 month tenure and 81 posts? Why are you allowed to post in here if I may ask?

Sensei
03-21-13, 07:02
The fact that the officer voluntarily resigned is rather telling when it comes to assigning blame. Brake checks like that put other innocent 3rd parties in danger if a car has to suddenly swerve.

Having said that, the vibe that I get from the guy with the camera leads me to believe that he is not somebody with whome I'd want to spend much of my free time.

djmorris
03-21-13, 07:46
The cop was at fault, not the driver filming the video. This cop is a complete jackass and endangering innocent bystanders. Bottom line.

"officerfrasher" is going to defend this idiot LEO just because an LEO can't possibly be in the wrong, no sir.

Littlelebowski
03-21-13, 07:56
Not subscribing to the thread but I think this was a perfect storm. The truck driver (Walton) was clearly looking for trouble with cops and the cop should have immediately called in locals as brake checking with a ****ing dog in the back is criminally stupid and negligent.

This situation could have been avoided, easily and that Walton guy is a dick. I'm glad that the dog seems to be fine.

.45fmjoe
03-21-13, 08:01
Two idiots collided.

I drive that same stretch of 526 every day going to work and back home. I also drive it damn near every day in a marked patrol car. That guy is a known douche around here.

officerX
03-21-13, 08:26
The cop was at fault, not the driver filming the video. This cop is a complete jackass and endangering innocent bystanders. Bottom line.

"officerfrasher" is going to defend this idiot LEO just because an LEO can't possibly be in the wrong, no sir.

If you'd go back and read my posts I've said that the cop was wrong TOO. But I believe they were BOTH wrong. How many times do I have to say that I think they're BOTH idiots?!

Vash1023
03-21-13, 10:27
If you'd go back and read my posts I've said that the cop was wrong TOO. But I believe they were BOTH wrong. How many times do I have to say that I think they're BOTH idiots?!

i think for your sake you should probably drop it and re-read the rules and guidlines of this forum.

PA PATRIOT
03-21-13, 11:06
Another "Full Retard" thread in GD, what else is new.

This is a baited thread and the OP is looking for the biggest sucker to take the bait, so far he has landed quite a few.

Nightvisionary
03-21-13, 11:43
Any way you cut it the cop gets vetted, trained, and paid to NOT be an asshat. The other guy doesn't.

djmorris
03-21-13, 13:22

The "civilian" has the right to be an idiot as far as I'm concerned. The officer is a freakin' LEO and he is held to a higher standard. His job is to put up with bullshit like this without endangering everybody on the highway and the K9 also. If the driver was out looking for trouble then shame on him but that in no way excuses the police officer and he should certainly be held accountable for his actions, regardless of there being no injuries. Just sayin' that people like that officer have no right to even be driving a cruiser. If he's going to react like that driving then I hate to see how he treats random people he runs into on the street.

Peshawar
03-21-13, 13:33
The "civilian" has the right to be an idiot as far as I'm concerned. The officer is a freakin' LEO and he is held to a higher standard. His job is to put up with bullshit like this without endangering everybody on the highway and the K9 also. If the driver was out looking for trouble then shame on him but that in no way excuses the police officer and he should certainly be held accountable for his actions, regardless of there being no injuries. Just sayin' that people like that officer have no right to even be driving a cruiser. If he's going to react like that driving then I hate to see how he treats random people he runs into on the street.

Agreed. What about during a natural disaster or something similar? I would like to trust that officers are going to maintain their composure under as many possible scenarios as possible. If the guy loses his cool in traffic, then he shouldn't be a cop.

Sensei
03-21-13, 13:48
I dare say that anyone, in any job, driving a company car would get fired for pulling such a stunt if their employer learned of it. Being a LEO in a marked car with a K-9 makes it even worse.

The one question I have is what charges is the officer facing. I'm assuming that if a trooper witnessed me do that I'd spend the night in jai.

T2C
03-21-13, 13:52
If you are on duty LEO and you do not like the way someone is driving you can:

A) Stop them and issue a citation
B) Ignore them

If you are out of your jurisdiction you can:

A) Radio another officer to stop them and issue a citation
B) Ignore them

You have an obligation to maintain a cool head while on duty no matter what someone else is doing. Now that everyone has video recording capabilities and more people like to bait officers, it is even more important to maintain a cool head.

Sensei
03-21-13, 14:25
If you are on duty LEO and you do not like the way someone is driving you can:

A) Stop them and issue a citation
B) Ignore them

If you are out of your jurisdiction you can:

A) Radio another officer to stop them and issue a citation
B) Ignore them

You have an obligation to maintain a cool head while on duty no matter what someone else is doing. Now that everyone has video recording capabilities and more people like to bait officers, it is even more important to maintain a cool head.

I agree. However, I'm not seeing where is officer was "baited." Perhaps it happened before the recording? If anything, it appeared that the officer was doing the baiting by intentionally blocking the passing lane.

Having said that, the disrespectful commentary prior to the road rage incident makes me think that the victim comes from, shall we say, low stock...

Honu
03-21-13, 14:30
Most folks would have gotten a ticket for blocking traffic on purpose !
Who was the antagonist here !

No excuse to do what he did !

Flashing lights cause someone is purposely blocking a lane !
Vs
Blocking the lane on purpose and causing a accident ?

glocktogo
03-21-13, 16:45
I like key lime pie.

Honu
03-21-13, 17:03
I like key lime pie.

I dont like it I love it :)

My favorite pie is Key Lime :)
No cake for my Bday My wife makes me a key lime pie :)

GeorgiaBoy
03-21-13, 17:27
I like key lime pie.

I prefer pecan.

T2C
03-21-13, 17:35
I prefer pecan.

Now you are talking! Pecan pie is one of the finer things in life.

Honu
03-21-13, 17:35
I prefer pecan.

Yeah good pecan pie is hard to find here :)
Now your neck of the woods would have to think its easy :)

Pecan is maybe tied with Key Lime ?
But its also so different I love both :)

Alaskapopo
03-21-13, 18:16

Both were idiots. Cop should have just called in the suspect to the locals for speeding and passing on the right. But what he did was act just as stupid as the original jerk with the camera to start. We should be held to a higher standard however so I agree he deserved to get fired for acting like that.
Pat

Belmont31R
03-21-13, 18:21
Both were idiots. Cop should have just called in the suspect to the locals for speeding and passing on the right. But what he did was act just as stupid as the original jerk with the camera to start. We should be held to a higher standard however so I agree he deserved to get fired for acting like that.
Pat

Passing on the right is legal in South Carolina from what I just looked up.

No one knows for sure if he was speeding, and even then speeding is not 'act[ing] just as stupid as' the LEO who cut infront of someone and slammed on his brakes causing an accident.

I'm not sure how you guys draw an equivalent between person A not causing an accident and person b who did cause an accident.

Mjolnir
03-21-13, 18:51
Driving five or ten over the limit with no traffic never killed anyone.

Brake checking someone should be a criminal offense...

Honu
03-21-13, 19:05
Is a guy blocking the left lane on purpose a idiot ?

Is flashing your lights at a guy blocking traffic on purpose really equal to brake checking and causing a accident !

Maybe the cop should not have purposely blocked the guy by driving like that in the left lane !

Pat

Heavy Metal
03-21-13, 19:25
The officer was identified by WWAY3 News from the South Carolina accident report. Culpepper told WWAY3 that he was baited by Walton, who rode up behind him and flashed his lights at him before the beginning of the now-viral video, currently at 267,183 views.

Is there anybody who doesn't understand that flashing your lights while you are in the left lane is universal speak for "I want to ****ing pass, quit hogging the ****ing passing lane and move over!" not "I want to challenge your retarded ass to a road-duel!"

GeorgiaBoy
03-21-13, 19:29
I still think all of this would have never happened if the LEO simply wouldn't have been hogging the left lane without intent to pass.

obucina
03-21-13, 19:40
I still think all of this would have never happened if the LEO simply wouldn't have been hogging the left lane without intent to pass.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that his action was not a random, isolated incident. Generally asshattery is most likely common to his general demeanor.

Battle*Hound
03-21-13, 20:44
I will pass a LEO every time if they are going below the speed limit.

Agreed. The officer is just another car on the road. He deserves to be treated no different than you or I, because he is not.

FWIW...hard to tell from the video exactly but it did seem he was going awful slow...my guess is it had something to do with the car next to him...I don't see a damn thing wrong with the pass but the cops pass was him simply throwing his weight around. Like it or not

Battle*Hound
03-21-13, 20:51
I'm glad that the dog seems to be fine.

Honestly, to me, this is likely the most important thing here.

Battle*Hound
03-21-13, 20:55
Is there anybody who doesn't understand that flashing your lights while you are in the left lane is universal speak for "I want to ****ing pass, quit hogging the ****ing passing lane and move over!" not "I want to challenge your retarded ass to a road-duel!"

:D it sure seems universal

FlyingHunter
03-21-13, 21:46
I'm glad that the dog seems to be fine.

Ahhh, fellow fan of the dogs...I'm with you - glad the dog was ok.

As for the humans...no comment

Alaskapopo
03-21-13, 21:55
Passing on the right is legal in South Carolina from what I just looked up.

No one knows for sure if he was speeding, and even then speeding is not 'act[ing] just as stupid as' the LEO who cut infront of someone and slammed on his brakes causing an accident.

I'm not sure how you guys draw an equivalent between person A not causing an accident and person b who did cause an accident.

Can't prove it 100% but you can see in the video that the cruiser was keeping pace with another vehicle. I imagine the cops was going right at the speed limit. If you pass me and I am going the speed limit expect a ticket every time. So if you do pass a cop you had better hope you did not go over the speed limit to get around him or you can be cited. There is no exception for speeding when passing vehicles. It may be different in your state.

I am not aruing that the cops was not more at fault he was.
Pat

SHIVAN
03-21-13, 22:08
:dance3:

I had the lines drawn on this thread before I even opened it, and I was not disappointed in my clairvoyance.