PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Np-34

45C
03-20-13, 22:16
SIG 228 copy: http://208.84.116.223/forums/index.php?showtopic=37439 Could Cohen?....Nah:D

misanthropist
03-20-13, 23:31
In my limited experience, they do run quite well. My dad recently picked up a similar gun; I will probably go through it and clean up the trigger, and find that it runs well.

Main issues I have seen on Norinco pistols have been:

springs of questionable quality
rough finish, particularly on small parts
mags can't be trusted at all
recent 1911s had front sights that went airborne with surprising regularity.

That norinco stuff, man. It's not pretty but boy, if you replace the springs, clean up the small parts and replace the mags, it will go bang every time for years.

I have a 1911 built on a Nork frame and side that has Wolff springs and WC Bulletproof insides...runs like clockwork and will feed empty brass as well as FMJs.

I hope to get a bit more time with the Sig knockoffs this summer.

I also recall Ken Hackathorn saying the Chinese CZ75 copies often ran more reliably than the genuine articles.

I've built about half a dozen guns out of Norinco base material. In my experience, the Chinese stuff does go bang every time.

03-21-13, 08:47
Any truth to the rumor that the Nork pistols were made of super hard steel?

S. Galbraith
03-21-13, 08:59
Main issues I have seen on Norinco pistols have been:

springs of questionable quality
rough finish, particularly on small parts
mags can't be trusted at all
recent 1911s had front sights that went airborne with surprising regularity.

So, basically you need to rebuild the gun after you buy it. Why not spend a little more money and get something that you can bet your life on.

markm
03-21-13, 09:08
So, basically you need to rebuild the gun after you buy it. Why not spend a little more money and get something that you can bet your life on.

Back in the day, the Norinco 1911s were popular for builds. The frames and slides were good. And the chromed barrels, if fit right, were nice too.

Used to be able to get those for $239. :(

misanthropist
03-21-13, 09:16

It just depends what you want.

For a 1911, unless I spend big coin, I'm probably rebuilding it anyway, so why not go for a dimensionally accurate frame and slide made out of 8620, with small parts that are rough, but serviceable in the meantime? Sure, it will end up with carefully fitted WC stuff inside...but so would, say, a SA Milspec if I bought it.

For a 226, I'll probably go through it pretty carefully as well these days. My wife shoots a West German 226 and I am happier giving that to her than any Norinco clone, but if budget is a major factor, Norinco guns tend to be pretty functional.

Would I recommend them to everyone? Not especially. I'm generally more inclined to buy Colt and Glock than anything else. But people have different requirements and preferences, and for some people a Norinco can be a fairly practical choice.

And yes, the steel is super hard...the guy who has done my machining in the past has wrecked a bunch of bits on Norinco steel.