PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint micro t1 vs compm4

Hillbilly
03-19-08, 11:55
I am new here and to aimpoints in general. can someone tell me what would make one of these better than the other? thanks

C4IGrant
03-19-08, 12:03
I am new here and to aimpoints in general. can someone tell me what would make one of these better than the other? thanks

The first question to ask yourself is if you will be running a NV device (or plan on buying one in the future). If the answer is no, then do not spend the extra money on these models (which are the two you have selected).

The Micro series is my personal favorite because of their size and weight.

C4

Hillbilly
03-19-08, 12:20
thanks, are there any advantages to the m4? is the micro as robust as the m4?

C4IGrant
03-19-08, 12:22
thanks, are there any advantages to the m4? is the micro as robust as the m4?

The M4 is current USA issue. It has longer run time, comes with a mount, ARD and takes 1 AA battery.

C4

rob_s
03-19-08, 12:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10241&highlight=comparison+chart

H2O MAN
03-19-08, 14:20
Will the Micro ever be available with a smaller 1 or 2 MOA dot ??

C4IGrant
03-19-08, 14:33

Aimpoint says yes, but who knows when that will be.

C4

GLOCKMASTER
03-19-08, 19:05
Since December I have attended two of Pat Roger's three day carbine classes. One I used the CompM4, the other I used the T1. I prefer T1 over the CompM4. It is lighter and I seem to be faster with the smaller T1. I also like the compact size and weight of the T1.

I will be ordering a T1 or H1 for my SBR in the near future.

bones
03-19-08, 21:56

Would be Great --But Aimpoint replied email say -That they had no plans at this time to make a Micro 1 or 2 moa dot....Darn

Robb Jensen
03-19-08, 21:58

My review of both the T1 and M4.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11065

Harv
03-19-08, 22:16
I guess I don't get all the big demand for a 1 or 2MOA Micro dot...

Why would anyone buy this for a precision rig???

Its A CQB sight....

That said , I am taking a very hard look at getting one of these. And I for one am glad it's 4MOA.. I what a dot I can pick up fast in all light conditions.

I want it for 50Yms and closer.

Jay Cunningham
03-19-08, 23:00

Perhaps if there is such a big demand, yet you "aren't getting it", you are in fact the statistical outlier and not those demanding it.

:)

Steve
03-19-08, 23:24
I just got back from Pat's cas grande class. were i ran my T-1 and an loaned out a M4topped carbine to another shooter

the T-1 is a great sight fast compact light handy bright and robust even i couldnt break it

By the way Harv, Mike H. requested cheese curd

ErnieB
03-20-08, 00:55
Recently, I saw a pic of LAV running his 416 with a T1. I noticed he had the optic relatively close to the rear of the receiver just in front of the rear sight. Is this to broaden his field of view and make the outer diameter of the optic seem larger? I have always run my Aimpoints a few places back from the front of the receiver. Just wondering what his philosophy was on that.

CarlosDJackal
03-20-08, 01:16

Why would anyone buy this for a precision rig???

Its A CQB sight....

That said , I am taking a very hard look at getting one of these. And I for one am glad it's 4MOA.. I what a dot I can pick up fast in all light conditions.

I want it for 50Yms and closer.

I own both M2 w/4 MOA as well as M3 w/2 MOA. The 2 MOA has allowed me to consistently hit 8-inch plates out to 300 yards when copled with the AImpoint 3x magnifier. The 4MOA dot makes this a little harded because at 300 yards it covers and area that is larger than the 8-inch plates. Plus, there is no real disadvantage in running a 2 MOA dot at 50-yards or closer. If it's a little bright out, all I do is turn my M3 up.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!!

Blake
03-20-08, 03:58
The 2 MOA has allowed me to consistently hit 8-inch plates out to 300 yards when copled with the AImpoint 3x magnifier.

Key words in this statement is "when coupled with the Aimpoint 3X magnifier". This is an apples to watermelons comparison. This is taking a 2 MOA v. 4 MOA argument and throwing in the use and function of magnified optics. I do agree that at extended distance the use of a 4 MOA dot can become challenging. However you have to determine hold off most likely for both dot sizes unless you are still zeroing the weapon for 300m, which is not that practical for most carbine uses. Of course this is all my opinion only.

Sabre675
03-20-08, 05:54
go with the T1, I got mine last week and love it.

Hillbilly
03-20-08, 10:20
sorry for all of these newbie questions but I like to get ideas from those who have used such items as I do not have the money to just buy them all and try them. I may be on the wrong track. I was thinking of a t1 and a 3xmagnifier. I wonder now if one of the acog's with a red dot piggy backed might be better. I live in a rural setting and would like to use the weapon for everything from home defense to lessening the coyote depradation of my cattle. thanks for everyone's help

C4IGrant
03-20-08, 10:32
sorry for all of these newbie questions but I like to get ideas from those who have used such items as I do not have the money to just buy them all and try them. I may be on the wrong track. I was thinking of a t1 and a 3xmagnifier. I wonder now if one of the acog's with a red dot piggy backed might be better. I live in a rural setting and would like to use the weapon for everything from home defense to lessening the coyote depradation of my cattle. thanks for everyone's help

I think a better setup would be an ACOG and then the H-1 or T-1 on the DD mount (offset).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/Optic%20offset%20mount%20rear%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/Optic%20offset%20mount%20side%20view.jpg

losbronces
03-20-08, 11:49
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;141385]I think a better setup would be an ACOG and then the H-1 or T-1 on the DD mount (offset).

C4

QUOTE]
Grant:

I like that set-up. I didn't see the mount on your website though. Do you have these or is that a prototype?

Hillbilly
03-20-08, 11:56
I think a better setup would be an ACOG and then the H-1 or T-1 on the DD mount (offset).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/Optic%20offset%20mount%20rear%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/Optic%20offset%20mount%20side%20view.jpg

thanks for the reply. please explain how it would be better. thanks

C4IGrant
03-20-08, 11:58
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;141385]I think a better setup would be an ACOG and then the H-1 or T-1 on the DD mount (offset).

C4

QUOTE]
Grant:

I like that set-up. I didn't see the mount on your website though. Do you have these or is that a prototype?

Not on the website, but are in stock.

C4

losbronces
03-20-08, 12:38
[QUOTE=losbronces;141419]

Not on the website, but are in stock.

C4

Price with an Aimpoint T1?

C4IGrant
03-20-08, 12:43
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;141427]

Price with an Aimpoint T1?

$579.

If you are not using NV, don't get the T-1.

C4

C4IGrant
03-20-08, 12:43
thanks for the reply. please explain how it would be better. thanks

Because the optic on top of the ACOG is WAY too high off the bore line.

C4

losbronces
03-20-08, 13:17
[QUOTE=losbronces;141442]

$579.

If you are not using NV, don't get the T-1.

C4

Thanks, order completed :)

Harv
03-20-08, 17:28
TheKatar

Perhaps if there is such a big demand, yet you "aren't getting it", you are in fact the statistical outlier and not those demanding it.

I think only a small percentage of folks who get the 2MOA have a use for it and or use it to it's full potential.. and the rest just get it cause.

I'm not a fan of building a Jack of all trades DO everything gun from 0 to 600 meters as having a Red dot offset next to an ACOG.

I know I take the less popular view, but a 4MOA Red dot will solve 95% of anyone's problems when it comes to AR's and those who need to have a 4MOA dot placed somewhere on there outline...;)

But I also know that would be a boring solution and take the fun away.

But I like boring.. it has a repeatably reliability all it's own...

HAMMERDROP
03-24-08, 21:07

C4

Grant you get all this stuff in bulk and they probably send you extra money to figure this stuff out ... cant you stop spending my money ?

Michael

Blinking Dog
03-25-08, 10:48
I know I take the less popular view, but a 4MOA Red dot will solve 95% of anyone's problems when it comes to AR's and those who need to have a 4MOA dot placed somewhere on there outline...;)

Harv - I'm with you on this. Love my Micro, love the 4 MOA dot. Glad it isn't 2 MOA. Looks like the Micro alone will solve my civvy shooting needs (which are probably similar to the vast majority of folks out there). Doesn't solve my money burning a hole in my pocket need though. :D

C4IGrant
03-25-08, 13:59
Grant you get all this stuff in bulk and they probably send you extra money to figure this stuff out ... cant you stop spending my money ?

Michael

:D

C4

rubberneck
03-25-08, 15:26

At that point aren't you starting to get into the S&B short dot price range? I'd rather have one variable power optic than two fixed ones.

C4IGrant
03-25-08, 16:46
At that point aren't you starting to get into the S&B short dot price range? I'd rather have one variable power optic than two fixed ones.

Well no, not really. I have been putting a lot of thought into what makes a Short Dot so good and if there is REAL alternative out there. So I started to crunch some weight and cost numbers and here is what I realized.

If you take a Trijicon TA33-8 (compact ACOG) and an Aimpoint H-1, you have a total cost of around $1188 and a total weight of around 11 ounces.

A S&B Short Dot will run you at least $2K and then you need a LT SPR mount ($195). Weight on this setup is around 25 ounces.

Now let's look at what you gain and lose. With the TA33/H-1 combo you save around $1k. You also save 14 ounces! This combo is also faster in going from a TRUE 1X to a 3X as you do not have to rotate the dial on the short dot.
You also gain run time as the ACOG does not use batteries and the H-1 has around 50,000hrs of run time. The short dot battery only lasts about 100hrs.
The last key difference is the robustness of this package. If the Short Dot becomes broken, you are left with just your irons. If either the ACOG or H-1 breaks, you still have another optic! Two is one and one is none. ;)

I plan on running this exact setup in the very near future as I believe that this configuration is actually better, cheaper and lighter than a Short Dot.

C4

rubberneck
03-25-08, 17:35
If you take a Trijicon TA33-8 (compact ACOG) and an Aimpoint H-1, you have a total cost of around $1188 and a total weight of around 11 ounces.

C4

Maybe for you. On your website you list the TA33-8 for $841.50, the H-1 for $522 and the DD offset mount is $40ish. That puts you right around $1400. Still cheaper than the S&B and lighter. You have certainly given this more thought than I have and you made some points that I had not considered. Still there is something that gives me the willies hanging a $500 optic off the side of a carbine. I am the proverbial bull in the china shop and would have nightmares about bouncing the H-1 off the odd door frame.

C4IGrant
03-26-08, 08:01
Maybe for you. On your website you list the TA33-8 for $841.50, the H-1 for $522 and the DD offset mount is $40ish. That puts you right around $1400. Still cheaper than the S&B and lighter. You have certainly given this more thought than I have and you made some points that I had not considered. Still there is something that gives me the willies hanging a $500 optic off the side of a carbine. I am the proverbial bull in the china shop and would have nightmares about bouncing the H-1 off the odd door frame.

No, not for me, but the consumer! I priced that as a package deal for everybody.

I would not have any concerns about the H-1 mount at the 1 position as it and the mount are both solid as a rock.

C4

UPSguy
03-30-08, 13:03
Well no, not really. I have been putting a lot of thought into what makes a Short Dot so good and if there is REAL alternative out there. So I started to crunch some weight and cost numbers and here is what I realized.

A S&B Short Dot will run you at least $2K and then you need a LT SPR mount ($195). Weight on this setup is around 25 ounces.

Now let's look at what you gain and lose. With the TA33/H-1 combo you save around $1k. You also save 14 ounces! This combo is also faster in going from a TRUE 1X to a 3X as you do not have to rotate the dial on the short dot.
You also gain run time as the ACOG does not use batteries and the H-1 has around 50,000hrs of run time. The short dot battery only lasts about 100hrs.
The last key difference is the robustness of this package. If the Short Dot becomes broken, you are left with just your irons. If either the ACOG or H-1 breaks, you still have another optic! Two is one and one is none. ;)

I plan on running this exact setup in the very near future as I believe that this configuration is actually better, cheaper and lighter than a Short Dot.

C4

I will give you the points on this being lighter and cheaper than the Short Dot, and also on the two is one. It has been noted by those using these weapons in harms way that the reticle of the ACOG can be lost in certain lighting conditions. The T1 wouldn't have these issues but the mounting of it at an angle on the handguard will cause you to have more of your body exposed when slicing the pie to the right from the left shoulder. I think, but could be wrong?

C4IGrant
03-31-08, 12:14
I will give you the points on this being lighter and cheaper than the Short Dot, and also on the two is one. It has been noted by those using these weapons in harms way that the reticle of the ACOG can be lost in certain lighting conditions. The T1 wouldn't have these issues but the mounting of it at an angle on the handguard will cause you to have more of your body exposed when slicing the pie to the right from the left shoulder. I think, but could be wrong?

I have rarely if EVER seen an ACOG with the glow rod, be washed out (takes some effort). In that rare instance, you could just switch to the Aimpoint.

No moving your body with the DD offset optics mount. You just slightly turn your weapon and pick it up. This is MUCH FASTER than having to spin the dial on the Short Dot.

If you transition from right shoulder to left, you simply rotate the weapon slightly out (to your left) and pick it up.

C4