PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense CHF 14.5 vs Colt/BCM SOCOM 14.5

disGRUNTled03
03-21-13, 05:41
As far as I know the SOCOM's aren't cold hammer forged, but I know they are thicker and disperse heat more evenly than standard barrels. My question isn't a brand vs brand pissing contest. I would like to know which barrel would last and keep its accuracy the longest after being run hard. Would a CHF barrel hold up to F/A fire as well as a SOCOM and still keep its accuracy after thousands of rounds?

I appreciate any help. Thanks

markm
03-21-13, 08:51
I'd guess that a meatier barrel should outlast a thinner barrel even if the thin one is hammer forged.

The idea behind the SOCOM was to be able to run high volumes of fire longer before any overheating malfs happened.

I'd guess again that the SOCOM would stand a better chance of retaining accuracy on an equal firing schedule. Hard to say for sure though.

ASH556
03-21-13, 09:13
Or, do like I did and buy the 14.7" CHF SOCOM barrel from PSA. It's a CHF FN blank with the heavier Socom Profile. The gas port is a little larger than it should be, but not grossly oversized. You can always mitigate that with an insertable gas port or a regulating block like the Syrac.

djmorris
03-21-13, 09:25
I'd guess that a meatier barrel should outlast a thinner barrel even if the thin one is hammer forged.

The idea behind the SOCOM was to be able to run high volumes of fire longer before any overheating malfs happened.

I'd guess again that the SOCOM would stand a better chance of retaining accuracy on an equal firing schedule. Hard to say for sure though.

I've always been under the impression that the only benefit of a heavier profile barrel (aside from adjusting balance) is that it does not heat up as quickly, thus keeping your groups a little tighter for a little longer. I'd like to hear more about this as it could certainly effect future purchases for me.

ASH556
03-21-13, 09:36
I swapped out a LW DD 16" CHF for the PSA/FN I mentioned above. My reasoning was:

1) Improved accuracy as the barrel got hotter (The DD held around 1.7 MOA consistently as it was hot, but the first 3 shots were always a much tighter group before the heat got involved).

2) I have an M4-2000 suppressor pending and figure the shorter/thicker barrel will be stiffer and handle both the weight and additional heat of the suppressor better than the longer LW profile.

As far as the reasoning behind the SOCOM barrel, there's a guy called "Augee" on TOS who seems to know a lot about the M4/M4A1 program and how, when, and why changes were made. According to him, the original M4 profile (light under handguards) barrels were failing at that thinner part (which is also where the most head is generated closest to the chamber) on "Break Contact" drills, where several mags are dumped on full-auto fire in a row.

Pic of failed barrels (Google):
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Mako_CAS/Failures/destructivetestedbarrrels01.jpg

Contact drill:

http://youtu.be/oqqYK22n274

markm
03-21-13, 09:45
I'm waiting for BCM socom uppers to come available again.

I like meaty barrels... and never once have I been out in the sticks and thought... "this rifle is too heavy".

samuse
03-21-13, 09:54
I still don't think hammer forging has squat to do with anything regarding a barrel's performance or durability.

ASH556
03-21-13, 10:21
I still don't think hammer forging has squat to do with anything regarding a barrel's performance or durability.

Can you please describe to me the process of hammer forging and how it is different than other forging methods? Also, please explain the effects of "work hardening" on metal.

markm
03-21-13, 10:27
Can you please describe to me the process of hammer forging and how it is different than other forging methods? Also, please explain the effects of "work hardening" on metal.

You mean COLD hammer forging? There's probably videos on the youtube machine.

I do respect his notion that there isn't much of a discernable difference for the end user. I mean... you could likely give a guy a button rifle barrel and tell him it was hammer forged and he'd never know the diff.

ASH556
03-21-13, 10:31

I do respect his notion that there isn't much of a discernable difference for the end user. I mean... you could likely give a guy a button rifle barrel and tell him it was hammer forged and he'd never know the diff.

Yeah, I agree with this part. Then again, the same could be said for 4140 vs 4150 barrel steel. Does that mean we should all settle for 4140?

markm
03-21-13, 10:43
Does that mean we should all settle for 4140?

4140 should be saved for the ARFcom slappies. 4150 for the rest of us.

Koshinn
03-21-13, 10:51

Colt button rifles all issued M4s, and they're the standard. If both are done well, probably no diff.

markm
03-21-13, 11:00
Colt button rifles all issued M4s, and they're the standard. If both are done well, probably no diff.

Yeah. I agree. I won't pay more for a CHF barrel.. but I'll run either.