PDA

View Full Version : Raising Sheeple...

HES
03-21-13, 14:17
Or how kids are being told that silence is respect and obedience is golden...

Here is my situation. My son is 13 years old in the 7th grade. He is in the gifted program. He is a smart ass, intolerant of stupidity, and is not afraid to call bullshit when he sees it. One of the classes he is taking is Civics. His teacher is to put it a moron leftist who has no problem berating kids who don't go along with her group think. One of her more infamous **** ups was saying that Mao, Stalin, weren't bad. Then she went on to say that communism wasn't really evil. When the boy piped up that communism has killed way more people than Hitler ever did she told him to shut up. She has made multiple gaffs when it comes to the government and the constitution; 2nd A is not an individual right, you always have to comply with the police, the president should have the ability to make law. Each time my son has stood up and corrected her or debated her statement, he is told to STFU and sit down. Well today was debate day.

Today was debate day in class. The subject was "Should armed teachers be in the class room?" Yeah what could go wrong with this, right? :jester:

He wrote his position paper, had me review it, we edited it (for structure, not grammar or content), and off to school he went. He called me at lunch so excited over how it went. He thought he was the only kid in his class who was pro 2nd A but others came out of the wood work. Of course he ran into some static from his very batshit crazy, obviously biased, anti teacher. He tried to continue the debate. She lost her cool and told him to shut up. Of course he had to get the final word in..he closed with "You have a problem when people are right and disagree with you?" to which she yelled at him for daring to question her.

Yeah I'm a bit frustrated and here is where I screwed up. I decided to jokingly post on face book "Pro Tip for the 7th Graders: Don't say to your teacher "You have a problem when people are right and disagree with you?"" Everyone laughed. They know my son and his teacher and they know he wouldn't pull a stunt like that with out justification. Like I said everyone laughed

Except for one humorless jackass of a helicopter parent who happens to be a leader his scout troop. He goes on to say things like that is not scout like behavior, that he won't be writing a recommendation letter for his eagle, that he should never question adults, etc..

I blow my stack internally. I cant let this go publicly, especially when it comes to threatening my son. So I do so politely pointing out that there is a difference between respectful behavior and respect and how it needs to be earned and not just given out (I.e. You have to respect the rank but not necessarily the man), that moral courage should never be vilified, that standing up to a teacher who is abusing their position and bullying students should be the norm, not the exception.

Then it hit me. The behavior that the guy wants is exhibited in his son and the rest of the boys in the troop. They want mealy mouthed little compliant kids who never grow, who sit through diversity lectures almost every other week, that are babied and act like they are wrapped up in bubble tape, that are afraid to step out on their own.

This is what is happening to this nation. We are raising another, bigger generation of sheep.

chadbag
03-21-13, 14:28
With regards the scout troop, I'd have a little talk with the troop committee and/or the troop sponsors about this guys qualifications to lead a scout troop. And maybe stick him in a different troop if need be.

--

SteyrAUG
03-21-13, 14:36
I'd pull him out of scouts and tell the BSA exactly why.

I would never stop complaining to the school principal and never stop trying to get a terrible teacher who provides factually inaccurate information to students fired.

Honu
03-21-13, 14:40
Ditto the scout master !

Also why we homeschool these days !

You could try to talk to the principal about her wrong facts ?
But chances are that wont do squat !
He would have to record her then hope it can go viral and force them to act on her maybe

Good for him standing up to facts !

ShortytheFirefighter
03-21-13, 14:46
With regards the scout troop, I'd have a little talk with the troop committee and/or the troop sponsors about this guys qualifications to lead a scout troop. And maybe stick him in a different troop if need be.
--

Agreed. A talk with the council and/or District Executive about his statements/actions would probably be in order as well. I'd be looking at pulling him and putting him in another troop. I was dual registered when I was in Boy Scouts, I was in a local troop that was large enough and well funded enough to do High Adventure trips every year and I was also in my church sponsored troop. Getting my Eagle was one of the best things I ever did, good for your son on going after it.

Edit: Like SteyrAUG said, I'd also be going after the principal as to why that teacher still has a job.

Koshinn
03-21-13, 14:50
Sorry, but even though I read your entire post, I kept thinking about this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wake_up_sheeple.png

More on topic, have your son join another troop. The one he's in sounds like it's horrible.

One question though, are all these stories about the teacher coming only from your son, or are they being confirmed by other parents and such? Nothing personal, but I don't put it past any kid to manipulate his or her parents.

brickboy240
03-21-13, 15:17
My 14 year old daughter wore a t-shirt to school that read:

"The Second Amendment is the Original Equal Rights Act"

Nobody said boo. Nobody cried or raised a stink. She was not told to take it off or go home. In fact, her band teacher commented on it and asked where she got it.

People love to rip on the public school system but as long as this is the reaction shes gets from items like this...who am I to complain?

-brickboy240

Belmont31R
03-21-13, 15:20
1 or 2 party consent there? If 1 have him start recording discreetly. No way a teacher should be verbally abusing kids because they have a different opinion or prove her 'facts' wrong. If she is telling kids to, "Shut up!" in class I would go right over her head, probably the school principal as well, and schedule a meeting with the district superintendent. If I had a recording like that I would also print off stuff they no doubt have off the district website about values, learning objectives, ect, and ask them how this teacher is demonstrating and encouraging district policy, and if it's district policy that a teacher should be talking to kids like that.

I never had a teacher that bad but did have one I had fun with. She had quotes printed on printer paper all around the front of the class but none about liberty and such. I would post up my own I printed off and some lasted months before she found them and took them down. But

And good on you for standing up for your kid and allowing him to think for himself and not just back down. Agree on the adults thing. Just because someone is older doesn't mean they are right or deserve any respect. My grandpa was an abusive alcoholic and miserable to be around. Hell I like most dogs than most people!

Can you find him another scout troop? I know it can be hard if he has friends and spent a lot of time with some of the kids in his current troop but it might be better to cut ties now if his scout leader is threatening his future in scouting over that. No point in spending more time with them if the outcome is already a known negative.

Magic_Salad0892
03-21-13, 15:21

Your son is a badass.

brickboy240
03-21-13, 15:24
Yes, these are the kinds of kids we need to be raising...to counterbalance the abundance of dependents, pussies and sheeple.

I would love to have a kid like that in my scout troop! Total Eagle Scout material (I should know...I was one once).

I am raising quite a female "sheepdog" myself! LOL

-brickboy240

SteyrAUG
03-21-13, 15:42
My 14 year old daughter wore a t-shirt to school that read:

"The Second Amendment is the Original Equal Rights Act"

Nobody said boo. Nobody cried or raised a stink. She was not told to take it off or go home. In fact, her band teacher commented on it and asked where she got it.

People love to rip on the public school system but as long as this is the reaction shes gets from items like this...who am I to complain?

-brickboy240

Not every public school or teacher is a problem. But some are.

Honu
03-21-13, 15:48
Not all school systems and teachers are bad ?
But the majority are pushing their agenda on kids !
And the majority are hard core lefties

This stuff kinda opens your eyes IMHO
http://www.txcscopereview.com/

Just like not having honor students or honor them cause it might offend other kids who were not honor students !

To much political BS agenda in schools these days sadly

HES
03-21-13, 16:04
Thanks for the commentary. Sorry for venting like this. Talking to the troop committe is a waste of time. Filled with a bunch of moron helicopters who look at me like I speak Klingon every time I talk about how they need to back off for the boys sake. They react in fear at the idea of the boy led boy run troop, as if their littly Chauncy is too much of an imbicile to be able to make it. The Scout Master is a good guy, but getting ass hammered as well. As for the charter org, we are our own charter org. So that's a no go. However taking it to the DE is an idea. They hate when I do that. There is only one other troop in the area that is worth a damn. Our troop over all has a strong program that I think is the best except for the hippy-dippy bull shit. However he is talking about checking one out. I want him to make the decision. I don't want to start putting thoughts in his head. The boy wants in to West Point. He sees his Eagle as one way to increase his chances. Regarding the teacher, he actually holds his own. However I've got a note book with her stunts written down as insurance. If I ever need it. He already where his trap and skeet club t-shirt all the time and couldnt care if he catches static about it. 2 party consent here, so generally recording her would be a no go unless someone wants to be a test case and see if teachers have an expectation of privacy.

Straight Shooter
03-21-13, 16:14
Your son & you ROCK. It is VERY good to hear that there are kids out there who, for one..CARE, and two...are intelligent enough to know truth even when adults dont.
I know you do...but always have his back, because I gaurantee you trouble will find him sooner or later, the TRUTH is the most hated thing in this country anymore.

Ryno12
03-21-13, 16:17
Not all school systems and teachers are bad ?
But the majority are pushing their agenda on kids !
And the majority are hard core lefties

You couldn't be more right brother! And it's a major reason why society is headed in the direction it is...

Sent from my phone cause my Commodore 64 is in the shop.

HES
03-21-13, 16:22
I'll always have his back, except when he farts. That kid is deadly

I also agree that not all teachers are bad. Lemme give you an example close to home: His Gifted math teacher. He is a 2nd A supporter. On every students birthday he makes a paper nick tie for them and tries to personalize it. For the boy he put guns all over it, but had to hide them in a pattern. Dr. Evil Jr not only figured this out, but knew to keep his mouth shut. That teacher is his 2nd most favorite teacher of all time. He is a good guy.

Moose-Knuckle
03-21-13, 18:03
Hes, good on you brother. You sound like one hell of a father. We need more parents like you these days.

Alaskapopo
03-21-13, 18:10

Here is my situation. My son is 13 years old in the 7th grade. He is in the gifted program. He is a smart ass, intolerant of stupidity, and is not afraid to call bullshit when he sees it. One of the classes he is taking is Civics. His teacher is to put it a moron leftist who has no problem berating kids who don't go along with her group think. One of her more infamous **** ups was saying that Mao, Stalin, weren't bad. Then she went on to say that communism wasn't really evil. When the boy piped up that communism has killed way more people than Hitler ever did she told him to shut up. She has made multiple gaffs when it comes to the government and the constitution; 2nd A is not an individual right, you always have to comply with the police, the president should have the ability to make law. Each time my son has stood up and corrected her or debated her statement, he is told to STFU and sit down. Well today was debate day.

Today was debate day in class. The subject was "Should armed teachers be in the class room?" Yeah what could go wrong with this, right? :jester:

He wrote his position paper, had me review it, we edited it (for structure, not grammar or content), and off to school he went. He called me at lunch so excited over how it went. He thought he was the only kid in his class who was pro 2nd A but others came out of the wood work. Of course he ran into some static from his very batshit crazy, obviously biased, anti teacher. He tried to continue the debate. She lost her cool and told him to shut up. Of course he had to get the final word in..he closed with "You have a problem when people are right and disagree with you?" to which she yelled at him for daring to question her.

Yeah I'm a bit frustrated and here is where I screwed up. I decided to jokingly post on face book "Pro Tip for the 7th Graders: Don't say to your teacher "You have a problem when people are right and disagree with you?"" Everyone laughed. They know my son and his teacher and they know he wouldn't pull a stunt like that with out justification. Like I said everyone laughed

Except for one humorless jackass of a helicopter parent who happens to be a leader his scout troop. He goes on to say things like that is not scout like behavior, that he won't be writing a recommendation letter for his eagle, that he should never question adults, etc..

I blow my stack internally. I cant let this go publicly, especially when it comes to threatening my son. So I do so politely pointing out that there is a difference between respectful behavior and respect and how it needs to be earned and not just given out (I.e. You have to respect the rank but not necessarily the man), that moral courage should never be vilified, that standing up to a teacher who is abusing their position and bullying students should be the norm, not the exception.

Then it hit me. The behavior that the guy wants is exhibited in his son and the rest of the boys in the troop. They want mealy mouthed little compliant kids who never grow, who sit through diversity lectures almost every other week, that are babied and act like they are wrapped up in bubble tape, that are afraid to step out on their own.

This is what is happening to this nation. We are raising another, bigger generation of sheep.

Have him stick a audio recorder in his pocket and use it the next time she goes off on him. I am sure the school would not appreciate her treating any student like that. It has been done before and was a major embarrassment for the school.
Pat

SteyrAUG
03-21-13, 19:43
Have him stick a audio recorder in his pocket and use it the next time she goes off on him. I am sure the school would not appreciate her treating any student like that. It has been done before and was a major embarrassment for the school.
Pat

10/10

currahee
03-21-13, 21:20
In almost 15 years as a public teacher I don't think I have ever told a student to "shut up."

Magic_Salad0892
03-21-13, 23:28
Pat

Lol. That's an amazing idea.

AKDoug
03-22-13, 02:00
My kid had a teacher that lost his homework assignments constantly. He started taking pictures of his assignments with his phone as they went into the teacher's homework box. Miraculously the "losses" stopped. I used to think teachers were above having it "in" for a kid, but that was dashed once my kids went to middle and high school. Overall the teachers at our school are excellent, but I have caught a couple that definitely don't like my kids.

My son also does not handle being disrespected well. No kids should, but it's also an important life lesson to learn how to deal with idiots with tact and self control.

Army Chief
03-22-13, 02:23
In the broader sense, I just find it unfortunate that those committed to our nations core values of self-sufficiency, hard work, personal responsibility and integrity have been rebranded as the political right (and therefore, extremist), when these were once values that we all shared with little attention paid to the politics involved. I'm sure our left-leaning friends would protest that they still stand for all of these same things, but you can't look at their current philosophical underpinnings and draw such any such conclusion in good faith. Factor in the unfortunate truth that our educational institutions are the breeding grounds for this kind of "enlightened" thinking, and you don't end up with a very hopeful picture for our future.

AC

eodinert
03-22-13, 04:41
Don't pull him out of Scouting...Scouting is generally awesome. Just find a troop where at least 2/3rds of the kids have their rifle marksmanship badges...then you'll know they're good to go.

HES
03-22-13, 21:04
In the broader sense, I just find it unfortunate that those committed to our nations core values of self-sufficiency, hard work, personal responsibility and integrity have been rebranded as the political right (and therefore, extremist), when these were once values that we all shared with little attention paid to the politics involved. I'm sure our left-leaning friends would protest that they still stand for all of these same things, but you can't look at their current philosophical underpinnings and draw such any such conclusion in good faith. Factor in the unfortunate truth that our educational institutions are the breeding grounds for this kind of "enlightened" thinking, and you don't end up with a very hopeful picture for our future.

AC
Well said. Sadly it's true as well which is translating into his frustration. For better or worse I've raised a vocal rabble rouser who believes in the supremacy of the constitution and who understands what liberty , personal responsibility, and freedom are and how they are exclusive from outcome and security.

Don't pull him out of Scouting...Scouting is generally awesome. Just find a troop where at least 2/3rds of the kids have their rifle marksmanship badges...then you'll know they're good to go.
I would never pull him out. I'll never force him to stay in either. That would violate "The Scouting Method". I firmly believe in "Boy Run, Boy Led". He is 13 and starting to become a man. He needs to start making his own INFORMED decisions. So I have been talking this through with him. So far this is where things stand. He stays in and gets his Life in the next week or two. Then he attends Jamboree and not summer camp (we can't afford both). After Jamboree, just dial it back for a bit. Go to meetings every other week or every third week. Don't run for an election position after summer camp so he doesnt have PL or SPL responsibilities. Then while he distances himself a bit, he can work on his eagle project.

SteyrAUG
03-22-13, 23:01
Well said. Sadly it's true as well which is translating into his frustration. For better or worse I've raised a vocal rabble rouser who believes in the supremacy of the constitution and who understands what liberty , personal responsibility, and freedom are and how they are exclusive from outcome and security.

He's in for a hard life. Enlightenment can be a terrible thing.

Straight Shooter
03-23-13, 07:44
You are 100% right on that SteyrAUG-
That's why I said always have his back, cause the boy is gonna need it. TRUTH....pure, unabashed TRUTH, is HATED today by so many. I feel sometime most will never recognize it again.