PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for S&W M&P .40 IDPA holster

fortibus85
03-21-13, 16:15
Just solicting some recommendations. I will use this for IDPA and similar shoots up to twice a month at my local club, but am not a serious competitor (no plans to travel outside of local area, still an unclassified shooter because I haven't found a qualification match).

I'm looking at ~ $50 and less. I have a nice homemade kydex holster (purchased via EE here) and a Bladetech revolution for my Glock 19, and a Foibus holster for a .22 Sig, so I am familiar with those models.

No retention features desired. Thanks!

CA_Shooter
03-21-13, 16:24
Probably your best choices are going to be either kydex from Blade-tech or CompTac. Those seem to be the most prevalent makers I see at matches. Something like this would be fine for IDPA:

http://www.blade-tech.com/Revolution-Combo-Pak-pr-1324.html

You could look at Uncle Mike's kydex hoslters but I believe you have to use the paddle version for IDPA and the belt slide isnt legal by the rulebook (too much gap between the holster and belt).

Shokr21
03-21-13, 16:31
Blade-Tech
Comp-Tac
Readytac

or just use the kydex that you picked up. I used a RCS clone for the first 6 months or so of matches.

madmike283
03-24-13, 20:20
I like, and use, Ready Tactical. http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm I also use the mag pouches as well.

Shokr21
03-24-13, 20:40
I just ordered a holster from Mike @ talontactical.com, it looks fairly similar to the ready tac line, but a couple bones cheaper.

He emailed me within the hour of my order and told me the holster would be out in the morning. I can update with a review if any one would like.

hwaya
03-24-13, 21:25
I use bladetech revolution series holsters, cheap and good

jaxman7
03-24-13, 21:43
Run with the holster you would if CCWing.

I do with either an NTAC or Raven Phantom.

-Jax

Shokr21
03-24-13, 22:07

-Jax

Why?

I did that for a while and ran true concealment, how I carried every day, g19 in rcs clone. Now I carry a g17 AIWB, so I can't compete how I carry.

I did ok in local matches but soon my competitive spirit took over and I wanted to win.

So now I shoot a g34 from a bladetech with tek-lok and wear a gay ass vest. I'm consistently in the top 5 most often in top 3.

There's merit in shooting as you carry, but that can lend itself to thinking a competition is training, which it most certainly is not. I go to matches to shoot as fast as possible as accurate as possible and hopefully win.

But that's me, YMMV.

jaxman7
03-24-13, 22:19
I view matches as training. Right or wrong that's how I approach them.

Now of course there are aspects to matches that have nothing to do with the real world, yes, but getting that gun out as fast and as smooth as possible and getting rounds on target as accurately and as fast as possible. That part (with the added stress of the timer & others watching you) can be excellent training.

I run the local pistol match concealed as well.

-Jax

glocktogo
03-24-13, 22:22
Comp-Tac. They are IDPA shooters themselves, not to mention great guys, and they support the sport heavily.

Shokr21
03-24-13, 22:28
I view matches as training. Right or wrong that's how I approach them.

Now of course there are aspects to matches that have nothing to do with the real world, yes, but getting that gun out as fast and as smooth as possible and getting rounds on target as accurately and as fast as possible. That part (with the added stress of the timer & others watching you) can be excellent training.

I run the local pistol match concealed as well.

-Jax

And to that I say rock on.

theblackknight
03-24-13, 22:51
Why?

I did that for a while and ran true concealment, how I carried every day, g19 in rcs clone. Now I carry a g17 AIWB, so I can't compete how I carry.

I did ok in local matches but soon my competitive spirit took over and I wanted to win.

So now I shoot a g34 from a bladetech with tek-lok and wear a gay ass vest. I'm consistently in the top 5 most often in top 3.

There's merit in shooting as you carry, but that can lend itself to thinking a competition is training, which it most certainly is not. I go to matches to shoot as fast as possible as accurate as possible and hopefully win.

But that's me, YMMV.

Come shoot USPSA dude.No vest required and you can shoot junk carry with full mags in Limited Div.

Using a carry holster in a match really isnt that big of a deal. You're only gonna have as many draws as you have stages, and that's dwarfed by position and target transfers,reloads etc. You can easily make that up in sessions and dryfire.

Shokr21
03-24-13, 22:55
tbk I shoot production in USPSA. started shooting that original 19, moved to a 17, now I have the full gamer setup. g34 comp belt and all that good stuff.

I'm not great, but I'm getting gooder

Competing in gun games has made range time more interesting for me, I used to go out and practice reloads, shoot groups and call it a day. Now that I compete mix up my range trips and get a lot more out of them.

PLCedeno
03-25-13, 05:57

-Jax

This. I use Raven. LAV spoke about this. That slick IDPA only holster wont be there when you need it the most.

JHC
03-25-13, 09:49
I have several of these and they are outstanding. Right about at your price point. The holster maker is a member here Mike Benedict. Great guy too.

http://www.talontactical.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=57&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

ra2bach
03-25-13, 16:08
Why?

But that's me, YMMV.

I don't view matches as training but you get a lot of repetitions (muscle memory) of the processes you learned in training. I would not like it one bit if I needed my IWB CCW and reached into a place where an OWB used to be...

dwhitehorne
03-25-13, 16:43
Why not the Safariland ALS 6378. I have a couple and love them. David

oops no retention. never mind

S391
03-25-13, 16:50
Safariland has some nice belt holsters that are a pretty good value. I had one for my N-frame revolver and it did a nice job plus is was lined so it didn't mess up the finish.

That said, I run Comp-Tac for all my IDPA / USPSA events and I couldn't be happier. They cost a few bucks more than Safariland but I think their products are worth every penny.

Shokr21
03-25-13, 17:45
I don't view matches as training but you get a lot of repetitions (muscle memory) of the processes you learned in training. I would not like it one bit if I needed my IWB CCW and reached into a place where an OWB used to be...

A local IDPA match here has 3-5 stages, if drawing 3-5 times from a "gamer" holster throws you off on your CCW positioning I'd suggest saving your match fee and spend it on ammo to practice shooting as you carry. Local IDPA Match has between 50-80 seconds of shooting in a 2-3 hour time frame, if I was interested in instilling muscle memory I could spend my time a helluva lot better.

Or you go ahead and rock on competing from true concealment, and I'll keep doing my thing.

theblackknight
03-25-13, 19:40
tbk I shoot production in USPSA. started shooting that original 19, moved to a 17, now I have the full gamer setup. g34 comp belt and all that good stuff.

I'm not great, but I'm getting gooder

Competing in gun games has made range time more interesting for me, I used to go out and practice reloads, shoot groups and call it a day. Now that I compete mix up my range trips and get a lot more out of them.

Welcome to the dark side http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PVMnGpK4rek/T_ZySQIS_KI/AAAAAAAAAbM/fr1_MyoyLlo/s1600/134016221789.jpg

This. I use Raven. LAV spoke about this. That slick IDPA only holster wont be there when you need it the most.

While that is true, it equally applies to LE bat belts and Mil drop/chest/DOH retention holsters in relation to carry gear.

How much it applies is really the question. Once your gun and mags are out of their gear, then shooting is shooting. The draw is one small component of overall handling.

sent from mah gun,using my sights