PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40c vs .40 shield

AR Newby AZ
03-21-13, 16:56
I'm wanting to carry IWB either a m&p .40c or .40 shield. I would like input from people who have experience with the two. I live in AZ so I will be dressing light most of the time. Is there much of a difference in comfort or bulge between the two? I would like the few extra rounds with the .40c and they seem to be easier to find than the shield right now. But it seems the shield can be hidden a lot easier and may be more comfortable.

dontblink
03-21-13, 19:35
I've seen both. The shield will definitely hide better.

Don't let the numbers fool you- even though the Shield is only .25" slimmer than the full size, it makes a world of difference when carrying.

CaptainDooley
03-21-13, 21:07
Meh. We have the FS, compact, and shield in our house (all 9mm). The shield is nice, but the wife and I still carry the bigger guns (I carry the FS and the wife carries her compact). The shield mostly just makes range trips. My mom does love her Shield though and carries it every day. With good carry gear, I get away with shorts and as tight of a t-shirt that a big boy like me can wear with no issues.

I subscribe to the theory that you should carry the biggest gun you will actually carry. If you think you'd wind up leaving the compact at home, then get the shield. Personally I carry the full size and I've had people argue with me over whether or not I was carrying, including my wife who should know better (than to think I was not carrying or to argue with me since I'll never actually admit I'm wrong).

Just my grumpy two cents will sit at work and wait on videos to render.

I've seen both. The shield will definitely hide better.

Don't let the numbers fool you- even though the Shield is only .25" slimmer than the full size, it makes a world of difference when carrying.

dontblink
03-21-13, 21:41
Meh. We have the FS, compact, and shield in our house (all 9mm). The shield is nice, but the wife and I still carry the bigger guns (I carry the FS and the wife carries her compact). The shield mostly just makes range trips. My mom does love her Shield though and carries it every day. With good carry gear, I get away with shorts and as tight of a t-shirt that a big boy like me can wear with no issues.

I subscribe to the theory that you should carry the biggest gun you will actually carry. If you think you'd wind up leaving the compact at home, then get the shield. Personally I carry the full size and I've had people argue with me over whether or not I was carrying, including my wife who should know better (than to think I was not carrying or to argue with me since I'll never actually admit I'm wrong).

Just my grumpy two cents will sit at work and wait on videos to render.

I carry my M&P Full Size as well, but between the 40c and the Shield, I'd go with the shield just for comfort's sake.

ra2bach
03-22-13, 11:16
if it's an only gun, the compact is more versatile.

I've not shot a Shield .40 but I have shot a Compact in .40 and
I'll say if I was going to make that decision right now I'd go with Compact. not necessarily so in 9mm though...

AR Newby AZ
03-22-13, 11:57
if it's an only gun, the compact is more versatile.

I've not shot a Shield .40 but I have shot a Compact in .40 and
I'll say if I was going to make that decision right now I'd go with Compact. not necessarily so in 9mm though...

I have a FS .40 so this one will be primarily my ccw.

ra2bach
03-22-13, 13:37
I have a FS .40 so this one will be primarily my ccw.

in that case I would still get the Compact. you can use the FS mags in the Compact. I don't think .40 in a Shield would be too much to handle but I wouldn't want to shoot it much...

Deputy Dan
03-22-13, 13:57
I have the Shield in .40 and use it as one of my work BUG along with a G27. The Shield in .40 shoots just like the G27, and as accurate as my duty G23.