PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 fit question.

majorleaguekennels
03-21-13, 17:29
I looked at a new M&P 45 at the local gun store. They had a regular and a compact. Both of the guns had considerable play in the fit between the slide and frame. I am wanting to know if this is normal, or should i look for a MnP with tighter fit. I mean i felt as if both guns at the front of the slide could move a total of appox 3/8". It felt as much anyways. I am talking about left and right wiggle in the slide if you hold the frame steady. I worry this would affect accuracy.

RIGPIG
03-21-13, 19:30
I looked at a new M&P 45 at the local gun store. They had a regular and a compact. Both of the guns had considerable play in the fit between the slide and frame. I am wanting to know if this is normal, or should i look for a MnP with tighter fit. I mean i felt as if both guns at the front of the slide could move a total of appox 3/8". It felt as much anyways. I am talking about left and right wiggle in the slide if you hold the frame steady. I worry this would affect accuracy.

I'm sure you're exaggerating when you say 3/8". That's a lot of slop. Especially for 2 different guns, I think a lot of that is perception. I haven't heard of M&Ps having excessive slop. Any sort of play in between the slide and frame can be likened to play between the upper and lower receiver of an AR-15. The barrel and sights are all contained in the slide, so no, play in the frame isn't much of an issue, as long as the barrel locks up tight.

KiloSierra
03-21-13, 21:44
The amount of slop on any factory M&P isn't worth worrying about on a service pistol. If you're shooting something where the slide to frame fit counts and you're good enough to tell the difference you're probably not going to be shooting a M&P anyway. Think more of a custom 1911/2011, CZ or Beretta for that.

Street Dog
03-23-13, 08:02
My M&P 45 has a small amount of side to side movement in the slide to frame fit, which as stated, is normal. Mine is head shot accurate at 25 yards, which is more than good for a service pistol.

S. Kelly
03-23-13, 12:52
My M&P45 and 45c are the most accurate M&Ps I've shot, by far. Even if they aren't, S&W will make it right.

OldState
03-23-13, 15:15
My M&P45 and 45c are the most accurate M&Ps I've shot, by far. Even if they aren't, S&W will make it right.

This is my experience. My full size is as accurate as a quality stock 1911. Not an accurized 1911, but a quality stock one. Like 2-3" at 25 yrds benched. I have wider 10-8 sights and have shot sub 3" groups at 25. The gun is probably better than that.

MY M&P 9c is NOT accurate.

There is a theory that SW did everything right in the accuarcy department on the 45 because it is the pistol they designed for the military Joint Combat Pistol Trial.

Ready.Fire.Aim
03-24-13, 02:18
I am more accurate with my stock MP45 than my stock G17, G19, MP9,1911 and Browning HP. I do have a customized grip G19 that shoots better than my MP45.

twistedcomrade
03-24-13, 10:01
My M&P 9c has more movement between the slide and frame than my Glocks do, but it is very accurate and very reliable. I have noticed that M&Ps that I have looked at seem to, in general, have a little more slide to frame play thansay Glocks, but I think it is just the way they are made. Probably enhances reliability.

Salamander
03-27-13, 00:02
Just pulled my M&P 45 (May 2012) out of the safe to check. There's a very little bit of play at the front of the slide, not what I'd call sloppy at all and I think well within service pistol standards. I've had no accuracy issues with the gun.

JSantoro
03-27-13, 09:23
I mean i felt as if both guns at the front of the slide could move a total of appox 3/8" . It felt as much anyways. I am talking about left and right wiggle in the slide if you hold the frame steady.

You felt 3/8" (i.e., .375") of side-to-side movement in the slide on an M&P45 pistol....?

The line of dashes below is ever-so-slightly more than 3/8", on my screen. You're saying that a slide slid sideways THIS MUCH...

------

...when you manipulated it to the left and right...?

That's a really bad typo, OR you didn't bother to really measure, OR your next story will be about your wife Scarlet Johannsen who was recently diagnosed with nymphomania and gawd-damned if you're not gonna fully support her in her time of malady, and whose family owns an ammo factory. :p

Gary1911A1
03-27-13, 09:34
With that much play you could just about move the slide to one side and start to lift it off the frame without using the takedown lever.

c3006
03-27-13, 09:41
Mabe 1/16" but I'm calling BS on 3/8". No way it could stay on moving that much

Noodles
03-27-13, 10:16
My first 45Midsize had a ton of gap between the frame and slide, not play exactly, but gap. Wasn't happy with it, sent it back to S&W and they replaced the frame as it turns out the rail portion was out of spec. New one came back, still has gap but definitely better.

chakup
03-27-13, 10:34
So I had to check mine out of curiosity and it has very very minimal side to side play.

M&P45
03-27-13, 12:04

Agreed! My M&P 45 is the most accurate pistol I own. I have shot sub 2" 25 yard groups off sand bags with factory ammo. I personally consider the best 45 platform irregardless of price. Mine has in excess of 10K rounds through it and I have not logged a single failure of any kind. I have replaced the recoil spring twice just as a matter of preventative maintenance. It did receive a Dan Burwell trigger job after it was broken in. The trigger job has held up extremely well with no measurable change in pull.

They only other pistol in my collection that can claim similar reliability is my West German Sig P226.

JSantoro
03-27-13, 12:53
Mabe 1/16" but I'm calling BS on 3/8". No way it could stay on moving that much

Yep. No fraction with a denominator of "8" works, period, end of story.

Nor does anything with a numerator of "3," if it's bigger than 3/32 or 3/64.

3/8" doesn't become even remotely plausible unless you change the axis of movement to the fore-and-aft motion of the slide. Even then, we're talking about a visibly upgefucht gun if the slide just slaps back and forth on its rails that much just by shaking it.