PDA

View Full Version : G26 with G19 parts

moonshot
03-21-13, 17:30
I need some advise from the collective hive. I am thinking of picking up a gen 3 G19 to augment my gen 3 G26, but a NIB G19 is running in the high $500 to low $600 range (when you can find them). Add sights, extra magazines, and a holster (my holsters all are cut to fit my G26 only), and I am in the $1000 range.

Because of this, I am considering another option...buying an EOM G19 barrel and placing it in my G26. With this and my current supply of G19 mags, I may have the best of both worlds - a G26 when concealment is critical, and effectively a G19 when I can carry the larger size for the price on one gun, one holster, one set of spare parts, etc.

The G19 barrel gives me true G19 balistics, while a G19 magazine not only gives me 15 rounds, but I find the feel of my G26 with a G19 magazine is at least as comfortable as is a stock G19 - perhaps a little better. The extra barrel length will not compromise concealment, and the magazine can be swapped out for a G26 mag (with GAP floor plate) when I need to.

Buying a G19 gives me another gun, and thats not a bad thing, but it's also not necessary right now, and the money could go for additional training.

So, buy a G19 barrel for my G26 instead of buying a G19.

Other than loosing 1/2" of sight radius (which to me is not a lot) and loosing the rail (something I don't care about anyway), is there any reason - legal, tactical, reliability, or otherwise, where I should not do this ?

ramairthree
03-21-13, 17:51
I am not sure what to tell you. After more than 15 years I still do not like my 26 grip/ergonomics. Even with the mag bases.

I totally like my 19's and have had it close to 20 years.

The lack of modularity between the models kind of miffs me as well. I really wish I could just toss a 17 or 34 upper on my 19 lower, etc.

However, you seem to really dig your 26 and are only thinking of a barrel vs. a 19. If I was in your shoes, I would continue rolling with the 26 at least until availability/deals sort out some.

DocH
03-21-13, 18:29
You don't lose very much from the G26 bbl,and you won't gain anything really significant by using a G19 bbl in it. I've used the G19 barrels in my G26 just for kicks and it works,but why bother.

Best to save and wait for a "good" G19,IMO. And keep the 26 as is. Just me own two pesos.

iainmcphersn
03-21-13, 18:33
I've got a G17, G19 and G26. The G19 feels better in my hand but the G26 carries easier. I've always carried G17 mags for reloads so I have a ton of them and only 2-3 flush fit mags for the G19 and G26.

Depending on your holster, the G19 might fit OK. I have opened up the front of G19 kydex holsters so the G17 fits. The last holster I bought was a belt slide Comptac that will carry any medium frame Glock from a G26 to a G17L.

I don't think you'll lose any money if you buy a G19 and decide it's not for you. If you get one and decide the grip frame is just too long, you can cut it down to G26 size and use a G26 mag. Rob Pincus calls his a G26L.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/26L.jpg

That all being said, I don't feel undergunned with my G26. If I did, I have ARs. ;)

moonshot
03-21-13, 19:41
I have also thought of just saving my money and using my G26 as is, or with my G19 mags when I can.

Concealment is the issue. I've tried carrying my G26 with a G19 mag and it prints far more often than it does with a G26 mag. No big surprise there.

If I had a G19, I could carry it some of the time, but not most of the time. Not with how I dress and where I go.

I am still curious about my original question. A G26 with a G19 barrel and magazine gives up what compared to a G19? Sight radius - yes, a little. Rail - yes, but I don't use one and don't care to start. What else?

Shokr21
03-21-13, 19:46
I just don't get the point.

If you want a g19 mag and a g19 barrel, get a g19.

If you want a g19 barrel but a g26 mag, chop a 19 to a 26.

If you don't know what you want buy a 19 to figure it out, you won't lose much if any in this climate.

iainmcphersn
03-21-13, 19:46
Concealment is the issue. I've tried carrying my G26 with a G19 mag and it prints far more often than it does with a G26 mag. No big surprise there.

<snip>

To clarify, I don't recommend you carry a G19/G17 mag in the gun. Use a G26 mag in the gun for 10+1 and additional mags 15-17 each.

R0CKETMAN
03-21-13, 20:02
What separates a 19 from a 26 is more than capacity and bbl length. It's the full grip you have on the 19 vs the 26. If you can't have both, I'd sell the 26, snag a pre '10 19 and don't look back.

RD62
03-21-13, 21:17
I say look for a good condition used G19.

I picked up an excellent condition trade-in G19 just after Christmas (during the height of the craziness) for just over $300. Not much more than the cost of a barrel.

No way I'd carry a G26 with G19 barrel and mag. Sure it may function on the range but no way I'd trust my safety to the combo. YMMV.

Good luck.

one
03-22-13, 13:01
The G19 barrel works perfectly in a 26. In fact I've ran my OEM G19 threaded barrel with suppressor in my 26 repeatedly for no other reason than to see if it worked. Even with the Trident 9 can on it it ran perfectly.

I've also ran my G19 mags as reloads in my 26 since I've had the gun in about '97 or '98. There has never, ever, been a problem with the mags functioning despite bracing my little finger on the extended part of the magazine.

Reliability isn't going to be an issue to worry about. That said, a 19 is a 19 and a 26 is a 26. If you want the specific characteristics of each gun for different carry purposes then the best option is to pick up an example of each. While I love my little 26 I doubt I would ever run it again as a main day to day carry gun for work. Nor would I select it over a 19 or 17 to take to a pistol class. But I wouldn't give it up due to those times when I like to have a subcompact on me for lighter carry going to the store or whatever.

Lastly. A friend of mine and I used his chronograph to test various loads a couple of years ago in several guns. Across the board there was a 50 fps loss of velocity with every ammunition when we compared at 26 to a 19 standard length barrel. So you're not losing much there.

kjd2121
03-22-13, 17:06
I use G19 mags in my G26 and added the XGRIP adapter to the bottom of the mag. Feels real nice in the hand.

Shokr21
03-22-13, 17:14
I use G19 mags in my G26 and added the XGRIP adapter to the bottom of the mag. Feels real nice in the hand.

My question then to you is - why not just carry a g19?

rathos
03-22-13, 19:27

If you actually read his post it is because by the time you get the gun outfitted he is at nearly $1000

Magic_Salad0892
03-22-13, 19:30
What's the point? Just buy ammo and shoot the G26 the way it is.

It's a good gun already.

kjd2121
03-22-13, 19:32

The G26 gives me the option of a small package or a medium package.

westrujp
03-22-13, 19:34
Carry the g26 with a 26 mag. Carry a g19 mag as your spare.

You are carrying a spare mag, right?

FWIW, lots of people shoot the 26 better than the 19, anyway.

Shokr21
03-22-13, 19:54
The G26 gives me the option of a small package or a medium package.

Do you only have the one glock? Why not have a 26 when you need small and a 19 for when you need medium? I guess I just don't understand the point of increasing the area that's hard to conceal (grip) without gaining the benefit a longer barrel/slide provides. If it works for you, rock on, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

If you actually read his post it is because by the time you get the gun outfitted he is at nearly $1000

What part of the post that I quoted did I miss?

eternal24k
03-22-13, 20:12
the benefit of the 19 over 26 other than mag/grip length is sight radius, not velocity. Adding a longer barrel gains nothing in my book.

kjd2121
03-23-13, 12:54
Do you only have the one glock? Why not have a 26 when you need small and a 19 for when you need medium? I guess I just don't understand the point of increasing the area that's hard to conceal (grip) without gaining the benefit a longer barrel/slide provides. If it works for you, rock on, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

I also have a G21. Well, the fact that there are no 19's to be found pushed me in this direction. Also, to me 1/2" more slide and barrel is not worth another $550. I would rather get a G34. That's just me though.

Mike169
03-23-13, 14:25
the benefit of the 19 over 26 other than mag/grip length is sight radius, not velocity. Adding a longer barrel gains nothing in my book.

With due respect, your book is incorrect.

מגן ולא יראה
03-23-13, 17:23

Adding barrel length without adding sights radius is pointless to me. If you disagree provide some evidence rather than a useless one line post please.

Frailer
03-23-13, 19:38
...Other than loosing 1/2" of sight radius (which to me is not a lot) and loosing the rail (something I don't care about anyway), is there any reason - legal, tactical, reliability, or otherwise, where I should not do this ?

The question is this: is gaining roughly 50 fps in muzzle velocity worth the price of a new barrel?

It certainly isn't to me, but it's your money.

Mike169
03-23-13, 20:10
Adding barrel length without adding sights radius is pointless to me. If you disagree provide some evidence rather than a useless one line post please.

I actually misread the post I had replied to and thought it said that adding barrel length does not add velocity. For my recklessness in that regard, I apologize.

Airhasz
03-23-13, 21:06
Get longer barrel, rock franken gk, come back write review...;)

Texaspoff
03-23-13, 22:44
Get the 19 and if you decide later you would rather have the 26 grip, then cut it down.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0695.jpg

TXPO

Shokr21
03-23-13, 23:20
Get the 19 and if you decide later you would rather have the 26 grip, then cut it down.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0695.jpg

TXPO

Amen, adding a 19 barrel to a 26 makes as much sense as wipin' before ya poop IMHO.

Do what Tex here did if ya really prefer the 26 grip but want the 19 barrel length.

moonshot
03-23-13, 23:45
Thank you to all who have responded, but you're kind of missing the point behind my post. Either that, or I did not post my question properly.

I am not trying to find out which gun is better. That would be a foolish question. If I want a G19 I can get a G19, even if it is priced a little high right now. My OP was based on the premise that I have a G26 that I am quite happy with and, while I am considering buying a G19 because they are such a fine platform, I am also trying to afford more training, and I have considered just getting a G19 barrel for my G26.

I already have G19 mags as my reload. I realized if I could carry a G19, I could also carry my G26 with my G19 mags inserted. I would have G19 ammo capacity as well as the full hand grip of a G19. Well, almost. I actually prefer the feel of my G26 with a "naked" G19 mag, but in order to really get close to the stock G19 grip, I would need the A&G grip sleeve (or something similar). I don't really like these, but for the "in gun" magazine, it might not be a bad idea.

I would have either another G19 mag (without grip sleeve) or a G26 mag as my reload.

Think about it - one frame, suitable for IWB or OWB, AIWB, ankle, smart carry, or pocket carry (that's a stretch, but it's possible), my choice between 3.5" barrel (for maximum concealment) and a 4" barrel for greater bullet performance, and whatever magazine best meets my concealment and operational needs of the moment - G26 mag for deep concealment or G19 mag for full grip when covering garment is suitable or when concealment is no longer needed.

Hell, I could switch to a drop leg holster in a SHTF emergency, load up with G19 (or G17 mags with +2 base plates).

Some people prefer the G19, some prefer the G26, some don't like either and some have both and carry what suits their fancy at the moment.

I like the idea of one gun (with several identical guns as spares) to be my EDC. I leave the G19 barrel in and keep the G26 barrel as a spare. I place whichever magazine seems appropriate for the moment in the gun - G26 mag for concealment or G19 mag for capacity and grip. If I need to swap magazines in the middle of the day due to a change in concealment or risk, I can do so without needing to have a second gun with me.

Is there a reason why this is not a sound idea?

Shokr21
03-24-13, 00:24
all you did was sum up every response in a fairly non comprehensive glob of text.

Bottom Line:

Need 19 grip? get 19

Need 26 concealment? get 26

What you carry as a reload doesn't matter, it should be a 17 round 9mm mag regardless of what you choose as a carry pistol.

Glocks are cheap vs amount of ammo we put through them, get the models that fit your needs.

DocGKR
03-24-13, 01:57
Uh...from a terminal ballistic perspective there is very little difference between a G26 and G19 barrel. You are better off either spending the money for a barrel on practice or on getting a G19.

RiggerGod
03-24-13, 02:39

TXPO

TXPO,
Is that your 19/26? If so where did you have it cut? I REALLY like it! it looks very clean, almost factory. I've been wanting to do that to a 17 &/or 19 for a while.

moonshot
03-24-13, 09:44
OK, the consensus seems to be "dumb idea". I'll take Docs advise (not for the first time, either) and add what I would have spent on a G19 barrel to my training budget. When G19's are more reasonably priced, I'll pick one up.

tpd223
03-24-13, 11:26

Not sure what he said was so wrong. A G19 vs a G26 gains you a longer grip and and slide, that's what he said.

Texaspoff
03-24-13, 13:27
TXPO,
Is that your 19/26? If so where did you have it cut? I REALLY like it! it looks very clean, almost factory. I've been wanting to do that to a 17 &/or 19 for a while.

It is actually a G23 that was cut down to a 27, same as 19/26. It isn't mine, I did it for a police detective customer. He wanted something that concealed just a bit better than the 23, and wanted to keep it looking stock.

TXPO