PDA

View Full Version : .45 GAP and Glock 38s

China boy
03-21-13, 20:09
Anyone shoot glock 38s or have anything to say about .45 GAP? I'm about to purchase my 2nd glock and am curious what you guys think. Feel free to give your opinions!

S. Galbraith
03-21-13, 20:16
I bought a G37 around the time they first came out in the early 2000s. I wasn't too impressed with it. Since it uses the 9mm length action, its recoil was actually snappier and threw me off target more than the .40S&W. I also found that accuracy seemed to be worse than the .40S&W, and certainly worse than the .45acp.

Some cartridges look great on paper, but aren't so hot when they get used. If you want a .45 caliber pistol, stick with .45acp.

c3006
03-21-13, 20:33
I have a small hand so the 37 was a answer to a problem for me,mine shot well and worked well but GAP Amo was a pain to get. The M&P came along and was a better answer for me and ACP is my preference so my 37 found a new home.

LightningFast
03-21-13, 20:42
I bought a G37 around the time they first came out in the early 2000s. I wasn't too impressed with it. Since it uses the 9mm length action, its recoil was actually snappier and threw me off target more than the .40S&W. I also found that accuracy seemed to be worse than the .40S&W, and certainly worse than the .45acp.

Some cartridges look great on paper, but aren't so hot when they get used. If you want a .45 caliber pistol, stick with .45acp.

This.
I see absolutely zero reason to go with .45 GAP.

China boy
03-22-13, 09:14
Hmm. Your responses are making me want to back out of buying the 38 and maybe shop for a 21. Im worried about the lack of ammo availability of the 45 gap. I like the fact there is always .45acp reloads at my range and every LGS. The GAP prices seem similar to the ACP online but it worries me.

mkmckinley
03-22-13, 09:22
It's an answer to a question nobody asked. You're giving up capacity and saddling your self with a weird caliber for what benefit, exactly?

S. Galbraith
03-22-13, 09:25
Hmm. Your responses are making me want to backnounof buying the 38 and maybe shop for a 21. Im worried about the lack of ammo availability. I like the fact there is always .45acp reloads at my range.

Be careful using someone elses reloads. I trust my own reloads more than I trust factory ammo when I have tested it in specific firearms. You never know if someone else intended the load to be shot in a wide variety of firearms with different barrel lengths. What works fine in a 1911, may be dangerous in a Glock given the reduction in chamber support. Increase your barrel length, and pressures spike too. Reloaded ammo may, or may not account for all the many variables that factory loads account for to make the ammo safe in a wide variety of firearms.

Plus, who will you hold responsible for a problem should the reload damage your pistol? Reloads usually void firearm warranties, and it can be almost impossible to hold a reloader responsible for the damage.

c3006
03-22-13, 09:29
It's an answer to a question nobody asked. You're giving up capacity and saddling your self with a weird caliber for what benefit, exactly?

At one time it was the smaller grip frame. Now there are better alternatives so I think the 45 gap round is heading for extinction and will become increasingly hard to find as time goes on.

ST911
03-22-13, 09:34
The 45 GAP shrinks the gun a bit, yet maintains the owner's emotional attachment to the bullet diameter. Availability is spotty even in the best of times, and it rarely passes the Walmart test. Where it's found, it's usually in good supply because so few people own them. If you need NT/lead-free/green/frangible ammo, it will be harder to find.

I liked it most in a revolver. (625, I think?)

China boy
03-22-13, 21:02
Ok, I'm going to let the idea of a glock 38 go. The reviews here and from people at my range seem point me in the direction of a regular 45acp gun. And, at the range I held a glock 21 and thought the thing was awesome and fit my hands well. So I think that the glock 21 will be my next deal to find. Thanks for the imput guys.

ggammell
03-22-13, 22:44
I had the opportunity to buy a rand new 39 for $300. I'm kicking myself for not doing it. Part of me is just fascinated by the whole idea of the GAP round. The realistic part of me says keeps taking over though.

China boy
03-22-13, 23:05
If I had the money for multiple guns and ammo cost for the weekend wasn't a factor I would definitely go for it. But since I have money for only one gun I have to be practical. And a .45GAP gun is not practical to me.

Vandal
03-22-13, 23:55
.45GAP, an answer to a question that was never asked.

I'd avoid it for ammo availability alone. I think eventually we'll see Gaston's bastard caliber die off.

jpmuscle
03-23-13, 04:16
.45GAP, an answer to a question that was never asked.

I'd avoid it for ammo availability alone. I think eventually we'll see Gaston's bastard caliber die off.

Now Now, NYSP had to pick something in order prove their better than everyone else... :rolleyes:

S. Galbraith
03-23-13, 10:50
I had the opportunity to buy a rand new 39 for $300. I'm kicking myself for not doing it. Part of me is just fascinated by the whole idea of the GAP round. The realistic part of me says keeps taking over though.

The only appeal to the GAP is the size of the projectile. However, the cartridge itself has mediocre accuracy, and more felt recoil than the .45acp because it uses the shorter 9mm action.

So, other than a big bullet......all the things that make the .45acp appealing(highly accurate and mild recoil), are not present in the .45GAP.

Sox
03-23-13, 10:58
The advantage of the GAP is using a 9mm sized platform. If Glock would put a thin slide on the GAPs like they did the new 30s, they would fly out the door.

The round itself is mild, accurate. I am currently buying .45 GAP 200gr GDHP at 89.00 for 250 rounds.

More manufactures need to make guns for the caliber.

Thanks,
Dave

ST911
03-23-13, 11:05
If Glock would put a thin slide on the GAPs like they did the new 30s, they would fly out the door.

They wouldn't, for the reasons previously posted.

It would sell well in 45ACP.