PDA

View Full Version : Digital ammo counter for 1911s...

Swag
03-22-13, 01:46
Found this while perusing for a M1A...

http://shop.radetecusa.com/main.sc

A on-board ammo counter. I really don't know what to think of it to be honest. On one hand, it's cool in a "video game" kind of way. On the other hand, I fail to see any real world benefit it could provide in any self defense scenario.

KrampusArms
03-22-13, 02:14
I could *maybe* see a use for that on a 30 round magazine fed firearm. With mags that dont have view ports...

But on a 1911? Thats a waste of money.

I do wonder how it works though. It is cool in a way.

Nmate
03-22-13, 02:17
Something like that, but much less obtrusive, would be good for keeping track of round count for maintenance.

Good idea, not so great execution.

Smirak
03-22-13, 03:12
Only works with their mags...and they don't list a replacement mag either...wonder what the cost of that baby is!

foxtrotx1
03-22-13, 03:41
Something like that, but much less obtrusive, would be good for keeping track of round count for maintenance.

Good idea, not so great execution.

If you read the description, it keeps track of rounds in the magazine and total number of rounds fired. They indicate its use as a maintenance guide.

It appears only the followers are proprietary.

The magazines are ACT and sell for 26 dollars I gather. There is a magnet that rides below the follower.

BBossman
03-22-13, 09:26
I was beginning to think people had given up designing more crap to hang on a 1911. Kind of restores my faith...

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.

c3006
03-22-13, 12:23
I use my notebook and pencil I got at the dollar store for maintenance count. That is the dumbest thing I've seen since the batmobile lower.

KrampusArms
03-22-13, 12:30
I use my notebook and pencil I got at the dollar store for maintenance count. That is the dumbest thing I've seen since the batmobile lower.

BatMobile lower? What? You're joking.

Please provide a link!

T2C
03-22-13, 12:31
It looks like a waste of money. Spend the money on ammunition and training.

Army Chief
03-22-13, 13:02
BatMobile lower? What? You're joking.

Please provide a link!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127139

I'm still a 1911 guy for the most part, and while I appreciate innovation, I'm not sure that I see the utility of this round counter. If you can't keep track of seven or eight rounds, that is probably more of a range time issue than anything. It would seem to make more sense for a high capacity pistol, but again, who stands on the firing line trying to remember if he just let off three rounds or 12?

Neat idea, but I don't see much in the way of practical application. Always willing to be schooled if this actually makes sense to somebody else, but even if the readout read "1," I would still do a quick press check if the matter were in doubt.

AC

Swag
03-22-13, 13:15
I agree with y'all. While I find it a neat little gizmo, it seems to me an item of fluff rather than of substance. If I stretched my imagination, I could see it on a range toy or showboat but nothing more. I really can't see it used in practice/training either. As for a working 1911, it shouts "Hey, look at me! I'd like to distract you!".

Jack-O
03-22-13, 13:20
I had to LOL at all the potential 1911 owner jokes...

-finally, a device that will show 1911 owners how little ammo the guns carry!

-Well this is just more proof that 1911 guys cant count!

-I dont know whats worse... the fact that 1911's only have 8 rounds or that the owners cant count past 7!

-well this is just more proof that the platform is obsolete. We went from the industry standard to the lowest common denominator in 102 years.

-wow maybe now 1911 guys will realize what every woman has known for centuries... it's not the extra 2.5mm that counts it's how many times you can shoot!!

:suicide:

RHINOWSO
03-22-13, 15:55
Don't see the utility really.

If your pistol is empty, reload.

If you have shot some ammunition and have time to reload, tac reload and continue.

Just a gimmick that'll take your eyes off the fight at hand.