PDA

View Full Version : What's this worth?

Badger89
03-22-13, 02:00
Hey everyone, I'm expecting the Seekins SP15 lower I ordered to arrive at my FFL this weekend, so I'm planning to put put my DPMS rifle back up for sale. I was originally trying to sell it for $650-750 (with no takers) before the madness to raise some cash to start my own build, but decided to keep it until I could secure another rifle when things got crazy. Now that it appears the ban push is losing ground I want to put it back up for sale once I have my lower in my hands and hopefully make a quick sale. My question is, what is it worth in the current market? I know its a cheap rifle, and I'm not out to screw anyone over, but I don't want to be robbed either. Honestly I have no idea what these are going for.

It's a DPMS "Lo-Pro Classic" - 5.56 chamber, A2 stock, Flat top, 16" bull barrel, 1x9" twist, target crown (muzzle is not threaded), no ejection port cover or forward assist. I bought it new in '08 right after Obama was elected not knowing anything about AR's and it has sat in it's hard case ever since for the most part. I've put around 250 rounds down the pipe (plus/minus 50ish), mostly Federal .223 55gr. FMJBT. It's really nice for targets/bench/longer shots, but it's a pig for any type of up close close/mobile work. I do recall shooting something like a 2.5" 5 shot group at 250 meters, I think the tightest 3 were less than 2". Maybe that's not real impressive, but I thought it was pretty good for one of my first attempts at shooting that far and using run-of-the-mill Federal ball and a wadded up sock on a picnic table for a rest.

It's currently wearing Promag back up irons, a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Mil Dot, a CAA adjustable stock with a battery compartment (bought as the full kit with spring and buffer tube), aftermarket pistol grip with storage, a UTG four rail hand guard and a Mako VFG with the flashlight holder. I was previously trying to sell it with everything but the scope, but now I'm thinking I should just strip it down and return it to it's original form and sell off the accessories separately. What do you guys think? (P.S. I'm including the factory hard case, owner's manual, and the two black mags it came with... keeping the other 4 pictured)

Please don't flame me... I realize just about everything here except the scope is pretty much second rate junk in the eyes of most and many of you wouldn't touch this gun with a 10 foot pole. I'm not asking you to buy it. I just want to know what's a fair price for me to tell the guy asking me about it. :smile:

Airhasz
03-22-13, 02:33
Throw it on TOS for $800/best offer would be my suggestion...:dirol:

Deucer01
03-22-13, 07:21
It would sell local for at least $1200.

markm
03-22-13, 07:34
Even posting pics of this here should be and INSTANT BAN! :confused:

ohiorifleman
03-22-13, 07:48
Looks like a perfect gun show candidate to me- put a grand on it and see where it goes. Hope you've learned a lot in the five months you've been here.
Cheaper Than Dirt called and they want their rifle back.:D

thehun
03-22-13, 07:56
I personally wouldnt pay more than 500 bucks...if that

I'd say realistically 700-750...for someone who knows these rifles

for the tacticool crowd for which this rifle was built for...depends on their "maturity" level

Retiredbroke
03-22-13, 08:00
:suicide:

Clem
03-22-13, 08:01
There's a few DPMS Classics on gunbroker that are listed at $1000.
Doesn't look like anyone is bidding on them though.
Try to list it at $750-800 and see where it goes.

Badger89
03-23-13, 00:03
It seems the general consensus is somewhere between $700 and $1200 in the current market... I was kinda hoping for a more narrow price range than that. The number that was floating around in my head was $1000 in the current market - I realize it's not actually worth that as MSRP was $750 last time I checked, but I'm seeing people try to hock complete lowers for $600, and whole rifles for over $1500 (granted usually better quality). Considering the input I've gotten so far, I think I'll return it to its original configuration and ask $950. What say you?

Even posting pics of this here should be and INSTANT BAN! :confused:
Wow harsh... I did mention I bought it nearly 5 years ago before I knew anything about ARs, and acknowledged that it's definitely not top shelf... :fie:

uncle money bags
03-23-13, 00:13
Dude, it's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Having said that, i think your best best is to put it on armslist for whatever you hope to get and make it an "or best offer" ad. Decide what you have to get for it and dont go below that price.
Determining value is a subjective game, made even more volatile with the current climate. Anyway, good luck.

texasgunhand
03-23-13, 00:29
Prices are dropping fast, you should have done this in Feb.

Then maybe 2 grand with all the stuff. But now prob. 900. Maybe just hold on to it and hop it up for fun and wait for lowers to drop in price and build you a nice one then keep one for long range and one for close.

Had to throw in this edit....

Damn you mean markm.....lol..tough room,still funny...

incognito
03-23-13, 01:31
Maybe I missed it, but where are you located? That can make a difference in advice given.

twistedcomrade
03-23-13, 12:19
Throw it on TOS for $800/best offer would be my suggestion...:dirol:

TOS trolls the exchange here. I asked a guy I sold some mags to from a listing here to give me positive feedback and he was only a member of TOS. OP, I think you may be trying to sell in a market where most buyers now are taking a wait and see approach. Like texasgunhand said, Feb. was probably the tail end of the buying frenzy.

mrvco
03-23-13, 13:21
I'd throw in 100-rounds of ammo and list it locally for sale or trade at $999 obo and go from there.

Badger89
03-23-13, 23:12
Thanks for all the advice guys. I know I should've sold earlier for the maximum profit, but it's not about the money to me. I held on to it because owning the ability to defend myself and my own is worth more than $1200 in my pocket, and when I saw attempts to prevent me from buying a better replacement in the future it wasn't for sale anymore. Now that those concerns are lessening, and I will have another lower in my possession on Monday, it's time to sell. That said, I don't want to get screwed on the sale either, just looking for the fair value right now. I checked Armslist for AR's for sale in my state, and I didnt find anything under $1000, but I have no idea if those posted for $1300-$1700 are moving either. Complete lowers are still listed around $600.

Maybe I missed it, but where are you located? That can make a difference in advice given.
Central Wisconsin. Pretty strong gun culture up here, but quite dated. I'd say the vast majority of people I run into are not for or against ARs, but don't talk about taking away their precious Winchester 70 or Remington 870 Wingmaster... The positive side of this is that ARs are not as common, and harder to find, especially in the current market. I had to drive 2 hours to buy this one 5 years ago. It's getting better, but slowly. The negative side is that there are obviously fewer people interested in buying one, but that too has changed in the last few months.

Travis B
03-23-13, 23:25
The "POS sells for a grand" market has passed. It would probably get bites in a gun show for $900 with accessories. Market value closer to $700 imo.

kmrtnsn
03-24-13, 00:07
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15973&d=1363935460

Will those irons even zero?

kmrtnsn
03-24-13, 00:10
The top pic shows a rifle length spring in the case, a rifle stock, and a carbine stock and RE fitted (probably commercial). What is missing from the picture is the rifle buffer, which leads me to believe that the rifle buffer is in the carbine RE. Please tell me that is not so.

Badger89
03-24-13, 02:20
The top pic shows a rifle length spring in the case, a rifle stock, and a carbine stock and RE fitted (probably commercial). What is missing from the picture is the rifle buffer, which leads me to believe that the rifle buffer is in the carbine RE. Please tell me that is not so.

Good observation. Yes, it is a commercial RE. No, there is not a rifle buffer in a carbine stock, it came as a complete kit with a carbine spring and buffer. Yes, I do have the original rifle buffer. You're correct, it's not pictured. And for your previous question, yes, the sights zeroed just fine for me.

As stated, all of the above pictured merchandise was purchased nearly 5 years ago before I knew much of anything about ARs. I realize its a noob gun, noob parts, noob everything. That is why I am selling it to some other noob who wants to get into ARs. Not everyone buys a $2000 top shelf AR their first time around.

Would you like to continue trying to make me look like a clown or can we get back on topic? :jester:

Badger89
03-24-13, 02:38
The "POS sells for a grand" market has passed. It would probably get bites in a gun show for $900 with accessories. Market value closer to $700 imo.

Thanks for the input. So since I don't plan on keeping the accessories anyway, do you think my better bet is to sell it with everything included or sell the accessories separately? Is there even a market for used sights, rails, stocks, grips, etc...? (Particularly the cheaper variety pictured)

Serial_killer
03-24-13, 11:37
Thanks for the input. So since I don't plan on keeping the accessories anyway, do you think my better bet is to sell it with everything included or sell the accessories separately? Is there even a market for used sights, rails, stocks, grips, etc...? (Particularly the cheaper variety pictured)

In the market around here that would sell for a grand easily at a gun show, not the big name gun show but at the smaller, in the closed down mall low end gun show. Get a white T shit, write 1000O.B.O. and wear the rifle over your shoulder as you walk around. As for the sights and UTG stuff, leave it on the gun and include everything stock as a package.

Yes there is a market for those used parts but not THOSE used parts, a decent (good quality) used sight set can be had for what those were new, what's that tell you as far as their used value?

Blak1508
03-24-13, 13:20
Put it up for Sale and get what you get.. if your not happy with the offer do not sell it.... end of story..

polymorpheous
03-24-13, 13:52
Gunbroker.
Starting bid of $0.01 and no reserve.
Put it up for 3 days and have it end on Friday night/ early Saturday morning.

djmorris
03-24-13, 14:07
Sorry but that's one of the worst setups I've ever seen. Everything on that from the guts of the rifle, to the accessories, and to the way you are using the accessories has got to be some of the worst mall ninjaness I've seen in awhile. Not trying to be ignorant but what a piece of junk. Hurts my eyes to even look. Mods please delete the OP's picture. Very offense and has no business on M4C!! :stop:

u_not_i
03-24-13, 17:29
Don't stress over the negative comments. We are born knowing nothing and everything we do for the first time is a crapshoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. We rarely have an SME follow us around to whisper in our ear, do we? Sell it for what you can get and move on. Having sold for a living for a very long time I would say that the more "stuff" you throw in for "free" usually helps. Everybody loves free stuff.

Noodles
03-24-13, 17:54
Gunbroker.
Starting bid of $0.01 and no reserve.
Put it up for 3 days and have it end on Friday night/ early Saturday morning.

This.

I've only been leg down with a penny auction once.

MAUSER202
03-24-13, 18:06
This.

I've only been leg down with a penny auction once.

+2, You may ever get more if two dopes get in a bidding war.

larry starling
03-24-13, 20:30
Sorry but that's one of the worst setups I've ever seen. Everything on that from the guts of the rifle, to the accessories, and to the way you are using the accessories has got to be some of the worst mall ninjaness I've seen in awhile. Not trying to be ignorant but what a piece of junk. Hurts my eyes to even look. Mods please delete the OP's picture. Very offense and has no business on M4C!! :stop:

I'm calling BS on this one. His set up looks exactly like mine in COD BO II. And I'm GTG on XBOX live as well.......:p On a serious note do as the others have said and sell it quick. And welcome to the forum.

slamd095
03-24-13, 20:57
Just out of curiosity...do you have another rifle, or is this the only one you bought? Was this supposed to be a fast money maker?

Like I was saying just curious. As to the rifle, if depending on where you live, post it up. At TOS, you may have better luck there. There are countless threads asking the same thing over and over. No one does their research, so chances are you will find someone still thinking there is a huge buying rush.

Airhasz
03-24-13, 22:00
Cut your losses and get a real gun.

foxtrotx1
03-25-13, 02:08
If you listen closely you can hear the rifle moaning: "kill me...kill me."

Iraqgunz
03-25-13, 02:09
Good luck with your sell.