PDA

View Full Version : Are hydra-shoks still a good defense load

The Ground Truth
03-23-13, 09:38
Title pretty much says it all, are hydra-shoks still a respectable defensive load? Ideally I would run SXT like I do in my 45 but I can't find any in 9mm for my G19. Thanks

kal0220
03-23-13, 09:47
I'm pretty sure I'd rather have hydra-shoks over nothing, ya know? A hole, any hole, in the bad guy is still a whole lot better than no hole!

Dave L.
03-23-13, 09:53
I wouldn't want to get shot by one...

But some of these 40/45 guys will remind you that 9mm doesn't kill anyone :rolleyes:

S. Galbraith
03-23-13, 10:01
Better than running FMJ. Seems like 124gr+P makes for the best bullet weight and velocity when using older or cheaper hollow point designs.

The Ground Truth
03-23-13, 10:02
I'm pretty sure I'd rather have hydra-shoks over nothing, ya know? A hole, any hole, in the bad guy is still a whole lot better than no hole!

This cracked me up

Magelk
03-23-13, 10:29
Title pretty much says it all, are hydra-shoks still a respectable defensive load? Ideally I would run SXT like I do in my 45 but I can't find any in 9mm for my G19. Thanks

I'm going to assume you have read through the Terminal Ballistics area but just in case, here's a good sticky from DocGKR

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

The Ground Truth
03-23-13, 10:34
I'm going to assume you have read through the Terminal Ballistics area but just in case, here's a good sticky from DocGKR

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

No I haven't seen it yet. I did a search on hydra-shoks but didn't get much.

ST911
03-23-13, 11:01
The Hydra-Shok remains older technology relegated to the B/C list. If it's all you can find, you're not carrying a sharp stick.

Interestingly, it is one of the few defensive loads that is remaining in decent supply through LE channels. Pricing is notably higher than the preferred non-bonded HSTs, and slightly higher or on par with the bonded HSTs and Gold Dots.

The Ground Truth
03-23-13, 11:18
There was lots of great info in that sticky. I'll be on the hunt for ranger sxt.

ggammell
03-23-13, 13:06
You might go d it by its modern designator, the ranger t series.

The Ground Truth
03-23-13, 16:44
You might go d it by its modern designator, the ranger t series.

Yeah I know its the T, I'm just used to calling it sxt out of habit.

whick1
03-24-13, 08:54
We packed the Hydra Shocks for a year or so when i 1st came on the force and my uncle packed them for years as a State Trooper. We have since switched to Winchester 180 gr Bonded Ranger. I would not feel under gunned with Hydra Shocks but given the option I would use a more modern design

I feel the Bonded Ranger, Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots are the best I have tried. Have not used DPX but have heard good things. Have not tried the Bonded Golden Saber but the original Golden Saber I would rank just ahead of Hydra Shocks. With the options available I would definitely look at one of the bonded loads such as Boned Ranger or Gold Dots to lower the chance of jacket sereration

T2C
03-24-13, 09:15
I attended one autopsy and reviewed reports and photos from two other autopsies where subjects were shot with the 147g Hydra-Shok round. Two subjects suffered 6 gun shot wounds to the torso and the third subject was head shot (suicide). All shots were fired with pistols with barrel lengths of 4" or longer.

None of the projectiles expanded in human tissue. Shot placement was the predominant factor in the performance of the projectiles.

I would suggest another choice in a defensive round.

rocsteady
03-24-13, 09:17
We have since switched to Winchester 180 gr Bonded Ranger. I would not feel under gunned with Hydra Shocks but given the option I would use a more modern design

I feel the Bonded Ranger, Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots are the best I have tried. With the options available I would definitely look at one of the bonded loads such as Boned Ranger or Gold Dots to lower the chance of jacket sereration

This.

The Bureau does a bit of ballistic testing and they found the bonded Ranger (180 grain in .40) and the Speer Gold Dot (165g in .40 cal) both do a good job of "poking holes in the bad guy".

T2C
03-24-13, 09:22
The .40 S&W 180g Federal HST has performed well in the field. I would consider the HST for a 9mm round.

glock6477
03-24-13, 11:28
We are issued Speer Gold Dot JHP 124gr +P. I'd get what I could find and afford.

whiskey lake
03-25-13, 10:23
The thing to remember is that shot placement is key. Any round will stop the bad guy when placed correctly. I remember an old guy in Alaska who would hunt Grizzly Bears with a .22LR....shot placement.