PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant question

deerndove14
03-23-13, 17:29
Hey guys. I'm new and this is my first post so bare with me. I have a few bucks waiting for a new home and I'm thinking I need a new rifle. I don't wanna dish out another $800 for an AR and I have been thinking about a Mosin. I saw a few I liked.
1. M44
2. M38
3. M91/30

Which one should I consider more in the sense of buying? What do you guys use for an "economy" rifle, though there seems to be no room in this economy for a rifle. But I digress.:confused:

CRAMBONE
03-23-13, 18:17
I am assuming you already have other "stuff" in your collection?

A Mosin would not be my only weapon. That said, the 44s are nice because they are carbines but they are still heavy as hell. I like the appearance of the full rifles over the carbines though.

deerndove14
03-24-13, 14:09
I am assuming you already have other "stuff" in your collection?

A Mosin would not be my only weapon. That said, the 44s are nice because they are carbines but they are still heavy as hell. I like the appearance of the full rifles over the carbines though.

Yeah, I got some other stuff in my collection. A few shotties, an AR and some double deuces. My baby is the Marlin 883 that rides on my back anywhere with woods. I mainly want a cheaper truck gun, so I don't cry if it gets a little dinged up. Also, how would a sks stack up to a Mosin. Any help is greatly appreciated

T2C
03-24-13, 22:03
The M91/30 is a full size rifle. The M44 is shorter and a bit loud.
I own two M91/30 rifles and love to shoot them. I would go with the longer rifle.

Up until a few months ago the M91/30 sold for $99 in my area.

deerndove14
03-25-13, 17:40
The M91/30 is a full size rifle. The M44 is shorter and a bit loud.
I own two M91/30 rifles and love to shoot them. I would go with the longer rifle.

Up until a few months ago the M91/30 sold for $99 in my area.

Thanks man. That helps. How do they shoot?

T2C
03-25-13, 19:46
My 91/30 rifles will consistently shoot 10 shot groups under 5" at 100 yards with Russian ball ammunition. If I say a rifle will shoot 5", that is the worst I will shoot with it. Smaller groups are possible with better ammunition, but I feed my Russian rifles Russian ball. Hitting a B-27 silhouette target at 300 yards is not a problem.

When I bought both rifles, I took a .308 cartridge with me to the gun shop and performed the bullet test on the muzzle. The Mosin Nagant bore has a nominal diameter of .311". If I insert the bullet of a .308 cartridge in the muzzle and some of the bullet is visible between the muzzle and the brass, it usually means the barrel will shoot well. Pay close attention to the action screws. If they loosen up, the point of impact will shift.

Most of my Russian Ball ammunition was purchased from Widener's Reloading Supply and Aim Surplus. Midway USA has Prvi Partisan factory ammunition for them.

Russian ball is corrosive, so clean the bore after shooting. I wet a few cleaning patches with Windex and run them through the bore before cleaning with Hoppe's No. 9, then finish the bore with an oily patch. I use Windex to clean the bolt face, clean it with Hoppe's No. 9, then a light coat of oil. The ammonia in Windex neutralizes the salts generated from firing the corrosive cartridges. I use Pennzoil wheel bearing grease on the locking lugs.

The Mosin Nagant recoils a bit. Get a good hold on the rifle, press your cheek down firmly on the stock and ride the recoil. Scrawny little malnourished Russians handled the recoil during WWII, so you should be able to handle it if you hold on tight.

rojocorsa
03-25-13, 21:17
Remember to use the search function as we have quite a few threads about these great rifles.

sgtrock82
03-28-13, 12:10
Ill give another nod for the 91/30 or any of the full length mosin riflles. I collect and shoot alot of old bolt guns, have several mosins, they are dear to my heart but there are certainly were much better rifles from the era. However the mosion represents alot of bang for the buck and ammo is quite affordable. The carbines are neat but many find them fairly unpleasant to shoot, the muzzle flash is impressive though. The 91/30s are readily available and cheap, but I recommend going to a stocked shop or gunshow in the hopes of hand picking one that appeals to you. If youre inspired look around the shows as there are many other mosins out there with different histories and configurations such as Finnish, Spanish Civil War, and some made in USA by Remington and Westinghouse that never left after russia defaulted on the contract (these get expensive in nice shape).

citizensoldier16
04-06-13, 23:00
Yeah, I got some other stuff in my collection. A few shotties, an AR and some double deuces. My baby is the Marlin 883 that rides on my back anywhere with woods. I mainly want a cheaper truck gun, so I don't cry if it gets a little dinged up. Also, how would a sks stack up to a Mosin. Any help is greatly appreciated

#1....using slang terms like "shotties" and "double deuces" makes you sound like an I-is-from-da-intah-net douche. One word....stop. Its called a shotgun and a .22

#2....A Marlin 883 is a good cheap truck gun, so I'm not sure what more you're looking for. Nerf and Super Soaker make good options if you're looking for cheap.

#3....An SKS is a semi-automatic rifle firing the 7.62x39 round. A Mosin-Nagant is a bolt action firing the 7.62x54R cartridge. Comparing the two is about as useful as measuring your dick in kilometers. They are similar in the fact that they both shoot bullets out of one end.

As was said above, use the search button...and take a moment to actually read some of the thousands of threads here on this site. Assuming that everyone here is just as mall ninja as you....well, you get the picture. If you're looking for the mall ninjas, check out TOS. If you're not sure what that means....see that little orange SEARCH button up in the top? Push it.

If I sound brash or uncaring...suck it up and put on the grown up pants. I'm just a little sick and tired of seeing all the new members with 3 or 4 posts starting threads because they finally turned 18 and saved up $100 from mowing lawns so they could buy the first rifle they could afford at the local gun show...just to claim it's the best thing since sliced bread and that Delta should use it, SHTF, zombies...that kind of bullshit. People here are professionals and have spent thousands of dollars on their rifles, not to mention additional thousands of dollars (if not more) on training, parts, tools, and more importantly...ammo.

Take the time to actually search for the knowledge you seek. Don't just throw up a post and expect to be fed suggestions like a baby duckling. Got initiative?

You want an AR..but you are considering on spending your hard-earned $80 on a Mosin-Nagant? What the actual ****? :confused:

If you have the money to spend, I'd suggest a firearms safety class. That sounds like a good first investment. That way you stand a lesser chance of inadvertently hurting somebody (including yourself) with your "shotties" or "double deuces".