PDA

View Full Version : How many ARs have been manufactured since they became commercially available?

SteveS
03-23-13, 18:45
I was wondering how many ARs have been sold in the U.S since they were available commercially? They have been on the market since at least the late 1960 and the sales have grown every year since. To me it seems the AR is the how many express their 2nd amendment rights. The 20 and 30 round magazine is what the rifle is designed to take.

twistedcomrade
03-23-13, 19:00
I don't know the number, but I would bet there have been more produced since September 14, 2004 than were made before that date. I think someone had this info on TOS, but I can't remember. I know I added to the figure after 2004!

FlyingHunter
03-23-13, 19:07
3,750,000 says this article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/20/assault_rifle_stats_how_many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html

kmrtnsn
03-23-13, 21:01
3,750,000 says this article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/20/assault_rifle_stats_how_many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html

I think this number creates a credible basis for using the term "common" when referring to the usage of the AR.

halfmoonclip
03-23-13, 21:07
I don't know the number, but I would bet there have been more produced since September 14, 2004 than were made before that date. I think someone had this info on TOS, but I can't remember. I know I added to the figure after 2004!

This is dead nuts on. After the ban years, neutered rifles and magazines made of Unobtanium, there was a huge buildup of desire for ARs.
It's also what is so ludicrous about the proposed 'Assault Rifle Ban', a notion that didn't work especially well the first time, and is going to be a joke this time if dear B. Hussein actually manages to get it thru' Congress.
Moon

MistWolf
03-24-13, 00:08
How many ARs have been made?

Lots and lots- and lots more than that!

Iraqgunz
03-24-13, 00:13
What isn't being captured (AFAIK) are lower receivers that have been built into some type of AR. My guess that the number is 3 times as high.

foxtrotx1
03-24-13, 03:42
What isn't being captured (AFAIK) are lower receivers that have been built into some type of AR. My guess that the number is 3 times as high.

Any way to know how many lowers have been sold?

AKDoug
03-24-13, 03:54
The ATF stats I have seen online only list how many rifle serial numbers a company reported. You can pretty much assume that the data from BCM or DD is all AR's, but a companies like Ruger, Mossberg, and Remington also make AR's and those numbers will be buried in the data. You would have to be very familiar with all the producers of lowers and AR's to figure out the data.

djmorris
03-24-13, 14:11
Pushing 10 million, at the very least, would be my guest.

Hmac
03-24-13, 14:24

Since lower receivers are serial numbered and handled the same way as complete rifles, I always figured that those sales estimates of lower receivers were included.

How do you know receivers are captured differently?

halfmoonclip
03-24-13, 14:26
Whatever the number, it's a genie they'll have a hell of a time putting back in the bottle.
Moon

Warp
03-24-13, 14:28
Since lower receivers are serial numbered and handled the same way as complete rifles, I always figured that those sales estimates of lower receivers were included.

How do you know receivers are captured differently?

They keep mentioning rifles, specifically. Stripped lowers are not rifles. They are an "other" on the 4473 and some are built into pistols.

VIP3R 237
03-24-13, 14:32
Pushing 10 million, at the very least, would be my guest.

I remember that number being quoted somewhere, i just cant place it.

Hmac
03-24-13, 14:52
They keep mentioning rifles, specifically. Stripped lowers are not rifles. They are an "other" on the 4473 and some are built into pistols.

Ah. Good point. Seems logical that they'd be tabulating them separately then, and as per IG, wouldn't have a clue how many such actual rifles are out there.

Warp
03-24-13, 15:02
Ah. Good point. Seems logical that they'd be tabulating them separately then, and as per IG, wouldn't have a clue how many such actual rifles are out there.

Yup.

And nobody will ever know how many there are.

Safe bet is that it's a lot, and that it's more than any published estimates that have been mentioned.

AKDoug
03-24-13, 16:07
And then..... all of those 80% lowers ;)

Warp
03-24-13, 16:12
And then..... all of those 80% lowers ;)

Ohhhh yes.

SteveS
03-24-13, 20:07
I didn't even think about the lowers and the 80% builds.

slamd095
03-24-13, 21:17
I wonder how many of those were bought and then held for resale purposes with out the intent for use, or even if any of those have ever been fired.

Warp
03-24-13, 21:41
I wonder how many of those were bought and then held for resale purposes with out the intent for use, or even if any of those have ever been fired.

Does that really matter or make a difference?

I'll wager that, % wise, very few were purchased and held for resale. Until the last few months there wasn't any money in that at all, and in the last few months people doing that (illegal if they aren't dealers...) generally turn around and sell immediately to get while the gettin's good, so as far as sale figures are concerned it's all the same anyway