PDA

View Full Version : RUGER 22/45 SEAR PIN WALKING

TANTO
03-23-13, 19:35
I put a Volksquartsen hammer sear kit into my mkiii sans mag disconnect. Volks sent me the wrong parts first time, but i think i've got the right parts now- mkii bushing. And the gun works but i noticed the sear pin is just into the left grip a few thousands and will move to the right out of the grip. A longer pin is not available according to Ruger. Volks will not call me back. I did find a video of another with the same problem. He sent it to Ruger and they "fixed" it but he didn't know what they did. Ring a bell with anyone? TIA

bigbang
03-23-13, 20:03
Sounds like it is assembled incorrectly. The pin is retained by the spring that fits in the groove of the sear pin. If your pin is turned around it isn't held captive. http://youtu.be/YQRckiC2F54

TANTO
03-23-13, 20:15
Since the spring drops down into a recess in the frame, the spring has to be correct. Perhaps i mispoke, the spring IS in the pin groove which is on the correct left side. This is what is so confusing as the spring itself is holding the pin from going into the left grip enough. Been staring at this for weeks. There is no other way for parts to go, i think! Thanks!

bigbang
03-23-13, 20:33
swapping out your sear shouldn't make the sear pin act any differently than before.

I removed my mag-disc, the LCI stuff, installed a mkII bushing, installed a VQ sear and a VQ trigger in my 22/45. I cannot see how changing any of those parts will have any effect on whether the sear pin is held captive, or not.

Is the pin in danger of walking out of the frame or does it just move a little bit and stop? If it wont come out unless you tap it with a punch, or physically lift the spring off the slot in the pin with a small pick, then I wouldn't worry about it. If the pin can fall out then you do not have it assembled correctly.